Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

Im curious to hear why are people put off by how "bad" it is? I know 3Dude said he is whipped :P but I dont really see why hookers, swearing and violence put people off this game. All those things exist in real life anyway.

It's simply a philosophy of art that is old as philosophy itself.  It's not a given that because something is "not real" (an overly simplistic assertion anyway) that it has no moral quality or effect on the psyche of the people who giddily imbibe it.  

Edited by kokirii, 19 September 2013 - 05:36 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#42 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:46 AM

Im curious to hear why are people put off by how "bad" it is? I know 3Dude said he is whipped :P but I dont really see why hookers, swearing and violence put people off this game. All those things exist in real life anyway.

Obviously if you have any young children then that is self explanatory.

You just answered your own question.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#43 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

You just answered your own question.

No.

I asked why these things put people off.

I didn't ask the reasons why people were put off.

#44 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

its an 18 rated game ffs so shouldnt matter right? we have all swore etc alot of times in our life so whats the problem? i agree i wouldnt let a kid play it but if you are over 18 and find it overly offensive than you cant of been living in the real world for much of your life.

i see worse on the news on a daily basis and its JUST a GAME. oh and an amazing one at that :)

#45 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

No.

I asked why these things put people off.

I didn't ask the reasons why people were put off.

Because those themes are so ingrained in the core gameplay of the game.
You can't play GTA5 without hearing a sex joke, or killing someone.
Also, racism.

its an 18 rated game ffs so shouldnt matter right? we have all swore etc alot of times in our life so whats the problem? i agree i wouldnt let a kid play it but if you are over 18 and find it overly offensive than you cant of been living in the real world for much of your life.

i see worse on the news on a daily basis and its JUST a GAME. oh and an amazing one at that :)

Even children (I'm talking 12+) know a game isn't reality. Any kid who says otherwise is trying to use it as an excuse because they did something wrong.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#46 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I could never really get into GTA. I'm not a fan of the over-the-top swearing and sexual themes the game revolves itself around, but it's great that the game is doing so well. Looks like their hard work has paid off.

#47 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yeah this is exactly what I meant. I just cant understand why someone would be offended by sex, drugs, and violence when they are all part of real life anyway. But hey I guess some people are just a lot more sensitive than others.

#48 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Meh. The game isn't bad at all I have to admit, but I find it boring, unappealing, and something I don't want to play. Never really liked 18+ games so yea. Don't see why it should receive perfect scores, however as you cannot get a perfect game, even in a particular genre. But whatever. At least GTA5 isn't annual like Call of Duty, so I don't loathe it unlike COD and FIFA.

Edited by Doc, 19 September 2013 - 02:00 PM.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#49 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Wow certain people turned to idiots in this thread.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#50 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yeah this is exactly what I meant. I just cant understand why someone would be offended by sex, drugs, and violence when they are all part of real life anyway. But hey I guess some people are just a lot more sensitive than others.

How about I rape you and you can tell me then if you think a videogame about rape is a good idea.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#51 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

How about I rape you and you can tell me then if you think a videogame about rape is a good idea.

It's just a game dude.

I don't know if I should get it or not. I didn't rush out and get it like I did Pikmin 3 so that tells me something. Also everyone on my 360/PS3 friend list are playing GTA 5 and I bet after a week or two they will get bored and not touch the game again.

For example I adore Pikmin games but when I play GTA at first they are great with funny stories and impressive graphics with tons of things to do. After a while everything becomes stale. I will wait and see what the PS4 version will be like.

#52 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

I finished gta5 and man was it a great game possibly my GOTY next to the last of us, pretty much a toss up really. The characters and story were extremely funny but very engaging, never felt the game was winking at me to laugh just solid writing. The gameplay was just an improvement from 4 which is a good thing and the animation looks and feels phenomenal. The voice acting is top notch like all gta games and the world feels alive and plenty to do.
Like at one point I just entered a hair salon and some dudes robbed it in which I proceeded to bring back the cash they stole and then bam they crashed into a truck and died all random events non scripted. A ton of different momenta like that happened that made me feel like there's infinite possibilities in the world R* created with V.
Now it's time to replay the game which I logged into 40 hours with the main plot and a ton of side missions but I still need to do more. Also can't wait to play the online which I'm sure judging by the campaign and world created will be great to.

#53 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

It's just a game dude.

Wow, that's a really deep and nuanced way to look at it.  

Edited by kokirii, 22 September 2013 - 06:00 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#54 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Absolutely overrated. Of course it is important to remember that overrated is not synonymous with 'bad' or 'poor', or any measure of quality good or bad. But that the game is rated, in this case highly, by the media at large, without really even being given an objective critical look. Its a manufactured scenario that the majority (or at least the most vocal) of the demographic are so brainwashed that they demonstratably cant do without it.

It could be good, it could be horrible, it could be meh, it could be great. We cant rely on any other first or second hand experiences except our own because gamz girnolists are generally worthless.

Its looking like im going to have to skip this one, because whilst it appears, as usual, they have a message contrary to what actually goes on tin the game, they just dialed it up to 11 on this one and is entirely to machiavellian with using the crassness to get to the underlying message, and after breaking my almost complete blackout and watching videos with audio... It really is too much now. This would make my wife extremely uncomfortable... And probably angry.

Real shame too. Seems like a real return to form, and even evolution gameplay wise.

The only problem I have found with it so far is the famous torture scene.

Now perhaps that is partly due to the fact I already knew there was a torture scene somewhere in the game so I was expecting it.  But it didn't illicit emotions for me at all, I couldn't take it seriously and it seemed a forced, pointless chore thrown in to make headlines in the media.

The rest of the game so far has been fantastic though.  Its great to be able to finally save anywhere, have more check points and no two missions are the same. 

Basically it seems to have fixed the things that stopped me ever being able to complete a GTA game before as I always got stuck at a certain point in the game and got bored of redoing the same missions over and over due to no check points.  So happy to see the whole map open from the start too, gives you a chance to explore early on in the game which is even a bonus as you start to level up your stats before you need them in missions.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 22 September 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#55 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

The only problem I have found with it so far is the famous torture scene.

Now perhaps that is partly due to the fact I already knew there was a torture scene somewhere in the game so I was expecting it.  But it didn't illicit emotions for me at all, I couldn't take it seriously and it seemed a forced, pointless chore thrown in to make headlines in the media.

The rest of the game so far has been fantastic though.

Of course the games fantastic, it looks like the best gta since vice city.

The problem would be Id have to be hyper aware of avoiding certain parts of the game, or of whats on the radio, lest one of the radio personalities starts talking about using women as urinals.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#56 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

Of course the games fantastic, it looks like the best gta since vice city.

The problem would be Id have to be hyper aware of avoiding certain parts of the game, or of whats on the radio, lest one of the radio personalities starts talking about using women as urinals.

same thing applies to TV or the internet. Have to be careful about showcase sometimes, or any google search. I do think however, that kids shouldn't be able to buy it unless their 16 or even 18+.

#57 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

I think the latest Eurogamer article hits the nail on the head really.  They sound a LOT like me, who spends far more time marveling at the details in the game world than playing the missions.  http://www.eurogamer...er-from-america

Its why I think if its done well I will love Watch Dogs more than this.  The idea that you actually have a choice, to be good or evil, and the world changes around that.  GTA has always been a passive story and perhaps it IS time to change that.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#58 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

*sigh* disappointing. Got to a scene that I can't skip and I refuse to go through with. It's frustrating when games try to be political and end up just frustrating their consumers. I guess I can just mess around with the open world bit without the plot.

#59 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

Once again, an open world game that falls in the same category of "shoving a metal pipe up my arse" in terms of just generally moving from A to B. It pisses me off when devs do this.

Then again, I'm not that far into the game so it should be more bearable as things unlock.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#60 Kirby

Kirby

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Minecraft Nintendo

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

I dislike how GTA 5 didn't come to the Wii U. I wish rockstar games had some sort of a relashionship with each other.

kirby_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!