Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Do I REALLY have to have the TV on to switch to Wii mode?  It seems like there's no way to get into Wii mode on the gamepad without first having the TV on so that you can use the Wii remote to choose "TV and Gamepad."  

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#2 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

*sigh* yes even with Gamepad mode, because for some reason it needs to verify you are using a Wii remote in the most asinine way. As if having one turned on isn't enough to detect you have a Wii remote. On top of that the gamepad sensor isn't active until Wii mode is on so you can't even use that sensor.

Edited by Sage, 01 October 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

no, just hold b when you turn the system on and select your profild

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

You don't.
Point your wii mote at your non upad sensor bar, and it'll recognise.
Then select both tv and upad.

Notice the fact that you only need a sensor bar, not a tv.

Edited by Nollog, 01 October 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

You don't.

But the tv has to be on to see/select the "both tv & gamepad" button...??

Edited by kokirii, 01 October 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

But the tv has to be on to see/select the "both tv & gamepad" button...??

the wiimote will rumble over buttons, so just aim tot he left of the room.

lol holy crap i just tried it and it gives an error if the tv isn't on.

"The Wii Menu could not be opened.

Change the TV display to the Wii U console and select Try Again.
The Wii U screen will need to be displayed on the TV until the Wii Menu opens."
#largefail

Edited by Nollog, 01 October 2013 - 02:40 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

That must be due to how hdmi devices can sense each other. I have a switch so I don't have that problem (just a colour reproduction problem)

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#8 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

You don't.

I did that yesterday and it said I couldn't turn on Wii mode. I turned on the TV and it worked fine.

#9 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

After you get into the Wii menu, you can turn the tv off then go on the toilet with the gamepad on your lap and wii mote in nunchuck in your hands and play mario galaxy... just me? oh, okay...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#10 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Yeah...you have to wonder why Nintendo just can't seem to get it right sometimes.  

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#11 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

You could go blind playing with your Wiimote in the bathroom, it is especially not recommended for children 6 and under.   Adults experiencing dizziness should stop playing immediately and take a 15 minute rest.

Edited by RETROBLAST, 01 October 2013 - 06:14 PM.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

I just tried booting up directly into wii mode, same error as I posted above.
Stupid as Wii.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

wait what? Hrm... must be hdmi shnanigans. I has an idear.

Bullseye. LMFAO.

Its the hdmi. Switching to component, I was able to boot up wii u and get a picture on my gamepad without ever turning the tv on.

Oh Nintendo, you so crazy.

Oh well, at least you can turn the tv on and off with the gamepad.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 Skywalkman-GB

Skywalkman-GB

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Fandom:
    ZELDA! + FPS

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

I managed to get it on with out tv, just point the remote to the off tv, when you feel the wii mote buzz, press A ;), sure hope they allow VC games to be controlled by the gamepad, playing majoras mask is nice and clear on the game pad, just awkward to position it on your knee while controlling with the wii classic controller

Edited by Skywalkman-GB, 02 October 2013 - 03:36 AM.

NINTENDO Wii U ID = Skywalkman-GB

Gaming - Wii U Black 32GB - Pro Controller + Wii Red - PC - i5 2400K GTX460 SSC - Studio Setup - Korg microstation - Korg microsampler - Korg microkorg XL - Xenyx 1002 mixer - Boss SL-20 slicer
Find my own tracks, gaming videos etc here http://www.youtube.c...ce?feature=mhee

Posted Image

#15 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

wait what? Hrm... must be hdmi shnanigans. I has an idear.

Bullseye. LMFAO.

Its the hdmi. Switching to component, I was able to boot up wii u and get a picture on my gamepad without ever turning the tv on.

Oh Nintendo, you so crazy.

Oh well, at least you can turn the tv on and off with the gamepad.

What do you mean exactly?  You just changed the TV input to something other than the HDMI input that the Wii U was plugged into and it worked?

I managed to get it on with out tv, just point the remote to the off tv, when you feel the wii mote buzz, press A ;), sure hope they allow VC games to be controlled by the gamepad, playing majoras mask is nice and clear on the game pad, just awkward to position it on your knee while controlling with the wii classic controller

I really hope that they can do this, too.  Anyone know if it's even possible to change an old game's controls like that?  Wouldn't you have to somehow modify the game itself?

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

What do you mean exactly? You just changed the TV input to something other than the HDMI input that the Wii U was plugged into and it worked?

I really hope that they can do this, too. Anyone know if it's even possible to change an old game's controls like that? Wouldn't you have to somehow modify the game itself?

No, I dont believe so, if the wii u is set up for hdmi, it can communicate with the tv and stop you. So it must be the wii u hdmi setting that is changed.

Vc games for the wii u, can absolutely be done via pad controls, ones for wii, cannot.

Wii never had a real os (even less of one than wii u or 3ds). So input, and even the home menu function, was hard coded into every single game, instead of handled globally via system os.
  • Doc likes this

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

No, I dont believe so, if the wii u is set up for hdmi, it can communicate with the tv and stop you. So it must be the wii u hdmi setting that is changed.

So you have to unplug the hdmi cable to get it to work?  Sorry, not trying to be dense.  Just still not exactly following you

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

#18 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

3DUDE IS A LEGEND!!!!!!

Anyways everyone, you go to the TV settings on the settings and you change HDMI to Non-HDMI and then that's pretty much it. It worked for me. You don't have to unplug any HDMI cable or whatever.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Plug in composite. hdmi is a 'smart' connection, which means it has the ability to be stupid.

Also heard switching hdmi.off in settings work, but honestly, unless you use component, sounfs lile more trouble than its worth.

Plug in composite. hdmi is a 'smart' connection, which means it has the ability to be stupid.

Also heard switching hdmi.off in settings work, but honestly, unless you use component, sounfs lile more trouble than its worth.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!