#1 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

hey all, i have already mentioned my concerns once or twice about this potential issue but was never properly answered. i think it's too important not to be discussed properly in a dedicated post. as far as i know, the wii u controller sliders aren't clickable like R3 and L3 for example. i see this as a serious issue that worries me when thinking about bringing good 3rd party games to the new console. for example, how can battlefield 3 be ported to wii u if there is no sprint button on the new controller? the touch screen cant make up for the sprint button, i'm sure no one wants to press the touch screen to sprint. so what are your solutions or ideas, i would really appreciate it if someone could put my worries to rest with a really good solution :)

(btw this is my first new topic and i have read the rules before posting and have also searched using the search box many times for a previous post that has already covered this and didnt find anything, sorry if i have somehow missed a previous post that already dealt with this)
Posted Image

#2 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

The Classic Controller and Nunchuck's analog sticks aren't clickable. How was sprinting in shooters handled on them?
Posted Image

#3 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

There's plenty of other buttons that can be used for things like sprinting. The R button is used for sprinting in some PSP/3DS games, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets used for sprinting on Wii U Games. There probably are some games where clickable circle pads would be good, but I don't see this as a major issue for the Wii U.

#4 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

The Classic Controller and Nunchuck's analog sticks aren't clickable. How was sprinting in shooters handled on them?

If I'm correct, Sprinting was handled by pressing a button and running

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#5 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

The only games I can really think of that truly utilized clickable L3 and R3 buttons were Sly 2 and Sly 3. This is also the only game I can think of that made use of every button on the controller. L3 brought up mission markers. R3 brought up the binocucom. L1, L2, and R2 were used for equipment items. R1 was, guess what, a sprint button! Most games don't even use all four shoulder buttons, so I'm sure it would be easy to make one of them a sprint button. And lets take a look at the hypothetical situation that Sucker Punch goes third party and a Sly game comes to the Wii U. Mission Markers and the binocucom could easily be put on the touch screen. In conclusion, I don't really see not having clickable sliders as much of a problem, as all of the other normally unused buttons on the controller, and the touch screen, could quite easily make up for there absence without sacrificing any gameplay options.

Edited by Andy, 09 October 2011 - 10:51 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Also, doesn't mean sprinting can't be re-assigned to a face button, shoulder button, and something else, like reloading, assigned to the touchscreen or as a motion gesture. Call of Duty and other FPS games on the Wii have easily converted to the Wii Remote + Nunchuk setup.

Give me a list of controls in CoD on a console, and I'll give you a list for a Wii U Tablet.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

wow thanks all!! u have really put my worries to rest for the most part :D and i say the most part because i would still prefer sprinting with an R3 equivalent, but still, im happy :) resolved
Posted Image

#8 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

To be honest, I don't find it really necessary. I prefer holding a button to run anyways :P

#9 Nintendo.fan

Nintendo.fan

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

definitely not. The buttons to the equipment will be subistituted by the touchscrenn so now there will be more buttons. The buttons without assignment have the same assignment that the normal game.

Posted Image

Edited by Nintendo.fan, 11 October 2011 - 09:09 AM.

#10 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Here's the way I see it:
Example - Call of Duty: Black Ops

Circle Stick 1: Forward/Back/Strafe
Circle Stick 2: Camera Control
L (That's the one at the very back): Aim
R: Shoot
ZL (On top): Primary Grenade
ZR: Secondary Grenade
Y: Reload
A: Action/Hold to run (Same as Wii Remote)
B: Pickup Weapon
X: Swap Weapon
D-Pad: Killstreaks/Equipment/Attachments
-: Scoreboard
+: Game Menu
Home: Wii U Menu
Swishing remote around like a madman: SLAAAAAAASH!

AuzzieWingman.png

#11 MachineLaw

MachineLaw

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Too many to name

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Equipment could easily be accessed through the touchscreen via big ass icons, this would leave the control pad completely free with four extra buttons.

#12 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

definitely not. The buttons to the equipment will be subistituted by the touchscrenn so now there will be more buttons. The buttons without assignment have the same assignment that the normal game.

Posted Image

if thats the run button how would you throw grenades or tactical grenades a Aim down the sight. Or choose equipment, or in some games pick killstreaks

1367065580450s.jpg

#13 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Here's the way I see it:
Example - Call of Duty: Black Ops

Circle Stick 1: Forward/Back/Strafe
Circle Stick 2: Camera Control
L (That's the one at the very back): Aim
R: Shoot
ZL (On top): Primary Grenade
ZR: Secondary Grenade
Y: Reload
A: Action/Hold to run (Same as Wii Remote)
B: Pickup Weapon
X: Swap Weapon
D-Pad: Killstreaks/Equipment/Attachments
-: Scoreboard
+: Game Menu
Home: Wii U Menu
Swishing remote around like a madman: SLAAAAAAASH!

this is the best and probably most likely option

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Remember that there is a massive 6-inch touchscreen on the controller that can be used as 'virtual buttons'.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

That might be an issue though, if the developers aren't careful about it.

Remember, the Wii U will likely be able to play all Wii U games on the tablet screen alone. Now, I don't believe it will be a necessity (unlike the Wii where every game had to be Wii Remote usable), because Nintendo have said they want devs to feel flexible in what they do for the system.

That's why I haven't listed the touchscreen as any function for that CoD example. The screen will always display the same HUD values of that in other versions, minus controller specific tooltips.

While yes, the touchscreen can extend the button input versatility of a consoles makeup, developers need to understand that they can't just add everything to the touchscreen without thinking about it.

The only other thing I can think of that also works in that CoD example (in a way so that it doesn't compromise on HUD values, but so they don't have to do a motion gesture to knife) is to make that touchscreen a single function, in this case knifing. No matter where you'd touch that screen, it will knife, and so you can play the game separate from the TV, still have all functions and not have the HUD values disrupted

But even if you did this, you'd have to let go of the controller with a hand to touch the screen with your finger. That doesn't seem like the thing I would do, so the only other thing I can think of, without letting go, is to touch the screen with my runy, dribbly nose/chin. Not very practical, or hygienic, so motion gesture it probably will be.

I hope, for the sake of this system, that everyone doesn't go assuming that the touchscreen replaces all buttons. After all, simple is effective.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 09 January 2012 - 01:28 AM.

AuzzieWingman.png

#16 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

Two words, Circle Pads. The fact that they don't click like L3 or R3, or LS and RS is going to make it harder for developers to work with the controls. And before you start spazzing out about the touch screen, yes i know, BUT if you are into the game so much like a call of duty multiplayer, then you dont want to take your hands off of the primary controls to just to tap something on the touch screen.
Hopefully Nintendo takes that into consideration for e3 2012.

I actually had an idea to correct this while keeping the slide pads, where its more of a slide stick
Attached File  Wii U Slider Stick.bmp   752.12K   387 downloads
EDIT: Sorry about my amateur(I think thats how you spell it?) drawing, i made it in paint

Edited by Heyheyharold, 09 January 2012 - 05:49 PM.

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#17 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

I agree, I think they should add clickable analog sticks (L3 and R3) before the console is out.

#18 MoH

MoH

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shooters

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I also agree - I'm used to clickable sticks and would also not want to move my hand placement to touch the screen.

Posted Image

#19 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Well you wouldn't have to take your hands off the controls to use the touch screen. Just be creative. Use a toe or a nose. If nothing else, just get someone else to lend you their hand. :D

I don't really see the non-clickableness of the slide pads to be a problem. Mostly because I've never had a system that had clickable analog sticks.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#20 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Two words, Circle Pads. The fact that they don't click like L3 or R3, or LS and RS is going to make it harder for developers to work with the controls. And before you start spazzing out about the touch screen, yes i know, BUT if you are into the game so much like a call of duty multiplayer, then you dont want to take your hands off of the primary controls to just to tap something on the touch screen.
Hopefully Nintendo takes that into consideration for e3 2012.

I actually had an idea to correct this while keeping the slide pads, where its more of a slide stick
Attached File  Wii U Slider Stick.bmp   752.12K   387 downloads
EDIT: Sorry about my amateur(I think thats how you spell it?) drawing, i made it in paint

Why do you have the idea as me.

Edited by Caius, 09 January 2012 - 06:15 PM.

Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clickable, sliders, analogue sticks, sprint, first person shooters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!