15 replies to this topic

#1 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

View full article here

I'm going to take this as satire. Please do, too. There's just too many holes in his logic. The Onion has competition.

Discontinuing video-game consoles is far from unprecedented. Sega released, and then rapidly abandoned, four consoles between 1992 and 1999, before ultimately exiting the hardware business entirely. Nintendo (NASDAQOTH: NTDOY  ) has had its own failure -- it gave up on the Virtual Boy after just seven months.

Is the Wii U next? The console's first year on the market has been abysmal -- Nintendo hasshipped just 4 million Wii U units, far short of its own expectations. After cutting the price, Nintendo is now selling the Wii U at a loss, and sales are unlikely to improve in the face of rising competition from Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) and Sony (NYSE: SNE  ) .

The Wii U has been a total failure
The failure of the Wii U is no secret. Originally, Nintendo had expected to sell 5 million consoles by last March -- but by the end of September, Nintendo had shipped fewer than 4 million units. In an effort to juice sales, Nintendo cut the Wii U's price by $50 in late August, leading to a 200% sales jump in September. But when the base number is so low, large percentage increases look better than they really are. Even with the spike in sales, Nintendo sold just 300,000 consoles from July through September.

Nintendo's management sti…

To keep reading, click here, it's free or login here

Edited by grahamf, 10 November 2013 - 08:38 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#2 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

The site certainly lives up to its name.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ninty is sitting on 5 billion dollars.... And with the 3ds continuing to sell like hotcakes, I'm sure its making more than enough to support the wii u during its weak sales period.

Plus being a Japanese company who tries to remain very old school I cant imagine them taking the Wii U off the market anytime soon, it would be quite the embarrassment and they take too much pride in their honor to admit defeat so easily.

#4 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

Just look at the comments. Almost all of them say that what the author said was wrong.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#5 Adders

Adders

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

microsoft must be desperate  :D

its true that the wii u has not had a good year but seeing how sales figures have gone up just before the release on the xbox and ps4 then the idea that the wii u is over is just wish full thinking on the nintendo hate train... the big N has not even released its killer games yet and seeing the SSB is one of the biggest fight games ever then nintendo do not need to worry

#6 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

BS Overload. Seriously. Wii Party U has propelled the WiiU the week it was released in Japan. Once the big guns are out, everything will follow.

WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Rocketman, your rocketman
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

#7 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yeah… That's a troll site. 

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

http://aussie-gamer....ii-u-next-year/

Nintendo Won’t Be Forced to Discontinue Wii U Next Year
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Its called Motley fool, it has to be purposefully obtuse.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 NeKros

NeKros

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • NNID:Bookmarks

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

ofc.. It's missing out on a ton of games.

Hopefully I'll be accepted here.

#11 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

the sad thing is he's completely serious. Man, gaming journalists and analysts are pathetic

#12 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

Looks to me as nothing more than click bait.

#13 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

the sad thing is he's completely serious. Man, gaming journalists and analysts are pathetic

And with the close launch of Next Gen, it will only get worse.

Makes me feel bad that I'm part of the gaming cummunity everytime I read such bullsh*t on sites or forums like Neogaf.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

The scary thing is, that site has a lot of financial news.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

grahamf, on 11 Nov 2013 - 5:02 PM, said:
The scary thing is, that site has a lot of financial news.

That's what they do, they're a financial journalism website, like msnbc or cnn money or bloomberg etc.

They're part-owned by apple and microsoft I believe, if not just the one of them.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

They forgot that it's still selling faster than the Vita did, yet that console will be fine? Oh, the irony.

Edited by Arkhandar, 11 November 2013 - 09:49 AM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!