NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

look guys deny all you like you all rubbed your privates talking shjt about power 7 cpus 

whilst WIIBOY101 TOLD ALL OF YOU ""HOW LONG AGO"" EXACTLY WHAT WIIU CPU WAS GIVE CREDIT TO A GUY WHO DESERVES IT 

ACTING OBTUSE WHEN THE GUY WAS RIGHT YEARS AGO SAYS MORE ABOUT YOU THAN HIM YOU HAD A BRAIN BOX OF A GUY GIVING YOU THE INFO BUT ALAS NO ONLY MONGS ARE ALLOWED TO EXPRESS THERE TOUGHTS LOL

the cpu is what wiiboy said it was YET YOUR STILL SOING IT PRTENDING WIIBOY NEVER TOLD YA WEN CLEARLY HE DID 

GROW UP SERIOUSLY GROW THE F**K UP

its 3 inproved broadways together @ 45nm with cutting edge IBM EDRAM as catch EXACTLY AS DISCRIBED BY WIIBOY101 ADMIT THIS...

each core vs a jaguar utterly owns look at ARM there 4 stage cores only got as far as a cpl of hundreb mhz expresso is hitting almost 1.3 ghz 

that is by far by a huge amount the fastest out of order 4 stage cpu EVER MADE 

tumblr_mroalqlD7c1s4mvheo1_250.gif

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#22 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

At least we finnally know for sure.  It truly is just a Tri core Broadway shrunk and over clocked with more cache.  Basically little more than ten times the power of the Gekko that powered the Gamecube, or six times the power of the Broadway that powered the Wii.  Should be just fine for most games.

What?

And who is this mythical "WIIBOY"? and what happened to him?

#23 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

look guys deny all you like you all rubbed your privates talking shjt about power 7 cpus 

whilst WIIBOY101 TOLD ALL OF YOU ""HOW LONG AGO"" EXACTLY WHAT WIIU CPU WAS GIVE CREDIT TO A GUY WHO DESERVES IT 

ACTING OBTUSE WHEN THE GUY WAS RIGHT YEARS AGO SAYS MORE ABOUT YOU THAN HIM YOU HAD A BRAIN BOX OF A GUY GIVING YOU THE INFO BUT ALAS NO ONLY MONGS ARE ALLOWED TO EXPRESS THERE TOUGHTS LOL

the cpu is what wiiboy said it was YET YOUR STILL SOING IT PRTENDING WIIBOY NEVER TOLD YA WEN CLEARLY HE DID 

its 3 inproved broadways together @ 45nm with cutting edge IBM EDRAM as catch EXACTLY AS DISCRIBED BY WIIBOY101 ADMIT THIS...

each core vs a jaguar utterly owns look at ARM there 4 stage cores only got as far as a cpl of hundreb mhz expresso is hitting almost 1.3 ghz 

basic math and commonsense prove this FANTASIST WRONG 

3MB LEVEL 2 CATCH IS 12 X THE BROADWAY NOT 6 

EDRAM LEVEL 2 CATCH PER CORE SO CLOCK SPEED VS BROADWAY X HOW MANY CORES X 2 FOR EDRAM AS IBM CLEARLY STATED AS CATCH ITS 2X BANDWIDTH OF SRAM 

THATS 10 X BANDWIDTH OF BROADWAY 

12X THE CATCH 10 X THE BROADWAY BANDWIDTH (clearly not 6) 

we have tri core vs single core 

we have ibm SMP tech 

we have custom MCM AND CUSTOM BUSES AND DIRECT LINK TO BOTH EDRAM OF GPU AND MAIN RAM 

we have a die shrink to 45nm from 90nm 

clearly 10 to 12 x the broadway cpu 

BASIC COUNTING ABILITYS LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD CHILD GO ALONG WAY 

6 X BROADWAY NO DUDE NOT AT ALL 

BY THE WAY A BROADWAY @ 729MHZ UTTERLY DESTROYS A ATOM AT 1.6MHZ 

SO IMAGINE EXPRESSOs real world performance and the up to 50x boost in power wen coding at assemly level 

Why  are YOU YELLLING YOU ASS. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#24 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

:-)
Anyway, I remember all this talk about "catch", always with the broken Caps key. Good to see you again.

#25 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

Why  are YOU YELLLING YOU ASS. 

Calm down. It's just a bit of capslock. If it annoys you you can just ignore him.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#26 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

basic math and commonsense prove this FANTASIST WRONG 

3MB LEVEL 2 CATCH IS 12 X THE BROADWAY NOT 6 

EDRAM LEVEL 2 CATCH PER CORE SO CLOCK SPEED VS BROADWAY X HOW MANY CORES X 2 FOR EDRAM AS IBM CLEARLY STATED AS CATCH ITS 2X BANDWIDTH OF SRAM 

THATS 10 X BANDWIDTH OF BROADWAY 

12X THE CATCH 10 X THE BROADWAY BANDWIDTH (clearly not 6) 

we have tri core vs single core 

we have ibm SMP tech 

we have custom MCM AND CUSTOM BUSES AND DIRECT LINK TO BOTH EDRAM OF GPU AND MAIN RAM 

we have a die shrink to 45nm from 90nm 

clearly 10 to 12 x the broadway cpu 

BASIC COUNTING ABILITYS LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD CHILD GO ALONG WAY 

6 X BROADWAY NO DUDE NOT AT ALL 

BY THE WAY A BROADWAY @ 729MHZ UTTERLY DESTROYS A ATOM AT 1.6MHZ 

SO IMAGINE EXPRESSOs real world performance and the up to 50x boost in power wen coding at assemly level

Yeah, that was you, and then you moved on to saying it was a supercomputer set up of power pc 476fp's, and then began a myriad of psychotic rants under a myriad of different names, ranting and raving about how it absolutuely positively could NOT be 750 based.... While everyone else moved on once IBM said they made a mistake, and it actually had p7's edram technology, NOT p7. SO... Yeah, no ones buying what you are selling.

And you still havent figured out there is no such thing as a 'catch', and your personality is so abrasive, that anything you post that you happened to find somewhere that actually isnt completely made up, is lost in a sea of your garbage which nobody is going to believe. If you actually ARE interested in the truth, and not spreading not good propaganda, you are the worst possible thing in the world to happen to finding the truth, and you should seriously stop posting your caps locked garbage.

And to anyone still wondering, wiiboy101 was yet ANOTHER one of this guys alt accounts.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#27 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

giphy.gif

Edited by Azure-Edge, 28 November 2013 - 07:54 AM.

pNgecl.gif

#28 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

And to anyone still wondering, wiiboy101 was yet ANOTHER one of this guys alt accounts.

oh...

#29 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Excessive use of capitalization and improper paragraph formatting

Excessive use of hostile language

Excessive use of repetition

Failure to explain the relevance of the information provided

Edited by grahamf, 28 November 2013 - 10:34 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#30 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

I agree. Good to see you here bro

^_^ Thanks
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#31 megafenix

megafenix

Blooper

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Does anybody have the full link from IBM?

If not then this doc cannot be considered as legitimate since anyone can do this with PDF Editor and Paint

look, first download a real ibm document like this one
https://www-01.ibm.c.../4xx_6xx_an.pdf

just use right click, save as and tahts it

then download a PDF Editor like the CAD-KAS 3.3

Then open the pdf file from IBM and do whatever mod you want to do

Then use the print function of the keyboard and paste it on paint and do additional modifications and save it as a png or jpg or whatever

Finally just publish it at your site, you can have a free site at webly for example, but in this case i will use twiter as i dont own a site

there you go

https://pbs.twimg.co...AZca4.png:large

BaHIGiCCMAAZca4.png

Is easy, so I cant trust marcan with this, a 476fp makes more sense as being the base since packs everything what nintendo needed for the processor:

the cache protocol coherency for multi core

the out of order pipeline

the ddr3 memory controller with 800 mhz coherence

the L3 cache with edram

etc

marcan says that 476fp couldnt be the base since lacks paired singles in the FPU, but in the past we saw that gekko was the first 750 that supported paired singles since nintendo asked ibm to tweak the FPU of the current 750 procssors back then(750cx/cxe) to support paired singles, so, marcns statement makes no sense since nintendo could have asked ibm to do that again or simply remove the 476fpu and replace it with the one that broadway had, is a customized processor afterall

I am not saying that broadway being the base wasnt possible, just that is very unlikely since lack many things that espresso has like the cache coherency for multicore(cache controller would have to be modified for this), not full support for out-of-order, no L3 cache, no ddr3 memory controller, etc. A 476fp as the base is easier since is less expensive to customize somethign that packs almost everything you are looking for

this is not a legitimate link from IBM

https://marcansoft.c...resso_intro.png

This is the real deal

Edited by megafenix, 03 December 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#32 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

Does anybody have the full link from IBM?
If not then this doc cannot be considered as legitimate since anyone can do this with PDF Editor and Paint

look, first download a real ibm document like this one[/size]

just use right click, save as and tahts it[/size]

then download a PDF Editor like the CAD-KAS 3.3[/size]

Then open the pdf file from IBM and do whatever mod you want to do[/size]

Then use the print function of the keyboard and paste it on paint and do additional modifications and save it as a png or jpg or whatever[/size]

Finally just publish it at your site, you can have a free site at webly for example, but in this case i will use twiter as i dont own a site[/size]

there you go[/size]

https://pbs.twimg.co...AZca4.png:large

BaHIGiCCMAAZca4.png

Is easy, so I cant trust marcan with this, a 476fp makes more sense as being the base since packs everything what nintendo needed for the processor:[/size]
the cache protocol coherency for multi core[/size]
the out of order pipeline[/size]
the ddr3 memory controller with 800 mhz coherence[/size]
the L3 cache with edram[/size]
etc[/size]

marcan says that 476fp couldnt be the base since lacks paired singles in the FPU, but in the past we saw that gekko was the first 750 that supported paired singles since nintendo asked ibm to tweak the FPU of the current 750 procssors back then(750cx/cxe) to support paired singles, so, marcns statement makes no sense since nintendo could have asked ibm to do that again or simply remove the 476fpu and replace it with the one that broadway had, is a customized processor afterall[/size]

I am not saying that broadway being the base wasnt possible, just that is very unlikely since lack many things that espresso has like the cache coherency for multicore(cache controller would have to be modified for this), not full support for out-of-order, no L3 cache, no ddr3 memory controller, etc. A 476fp as the base is easier since is less expensive to customize somethign that packs almost everything you are looking for[/size]

this is not a legitimate link from IBM[/size]
https://marcansoft.c...resso_intro.png

This is the real deal

Its real eye of core, and there is nothing wrong with it. The 750 was always a fantastic cpu core, and where it hit a dead end in the past, time and newer technology has now enabled it to mantain multicore coherency, and to be clocked at a more reasonable clock speed.

It doesnt have a 'real' simd unit. But its custom fpu unit has not gone without improvements. As stated in that first page of documentation. Its recieved enhancements to its floating point performance. No, that doesnt look like its going to give the same flop boon as a dedicated simd unit, but to be perfectly honest, flops have never really been the focus of a cpu, and last gen with xenon and cell are outliers, not the standard. Whatever flop performance espresso is capable of is obviously good enough for Nintendo, who have done some very, very, impressive things with the under powered broadway in this regaurd, up to having their own proprietary dmm solution working, in real time, in wii sports resort and skyward sword.

It is well matched with the gpu, and well suited to what nintendo wanted to be able to do moving forward, and looking at the intricate interactivity they acheived in titles like skyward sword, we will certainly be impressed by things the wii u will be doing that nobody entertained because they were too busy ridiculing lol 750 based.

And no, your example is not legitimate, because you are comparing the format of an application note, to the format of a users manual... That are 15 years apart. When not even all user manuals and application notes all have the same exact format with their associated bretheren, and certainly not mantained via a single format for over a decade.

The official documentation of broadway, which I have, and Gekko, which I have as well as xenon and cell, also, all of which I have, look nothing like the format of the application note you posted.

The legitimacy of the information isnt in superficial comparisons of format, it lies within the information provided, which is rock solid information, and highly unlikely to be faux, for numerous reasons I will not bother explaining to you, as you will only invent crazier tales to discredit them, turning the developer who kindly donated the cover sheet of espresso into some kind of sociopathic omniescent mastermind in your ttempts to explain away every obstacle you encounter and how he deviously calculated every detail.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#33 megafenix

megafenix

Blooper

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Its real eye of core, and there is nothing wrong with it. The 750 was always a fantastic cpu core, and where it hit a dead end in the past, time and newer technology has now enabled it to mantain multicore coherency, and to be clocked at a more reasonable clock speed.

It doesnt have a 'real' simd unit. But its custom fpu unit has not gone without improvements. As stated in that first page of documentation. Its recieved enhancements to its floating point performance. No, that doesnt look like its going to give the same flop boon as a dedicated simd unit, but to be perfectly honest, flops have never really been the focus of a cpu, and last gen with xenon and cell are outliers, not the standard. Whatever flop performance espresso is capable of is obviously good enough for Nintendo, who have done some very, very, impressive things with the under powered broadway in this regaurd, up to having their own proprietary dmm solution working, in real time, in wii sports resort and skyward sword.

It is well matched with the gpu, and well suited to what nintendo wanted to be able to do moving forward, and looking at the intricate interactivity they acheived in titles like skyward sword, we will certainly be impressed by things the wii u will be doing that nobody entertained because they were too busy ridiculing lol 750 based.

And no, your example is not legitimate, because you are comparing the format of an application note, to the format of a users manual... When not even all user manuals and application notes all have the same exact format with their associated bretheren.

The official documentation of broadway, which I have, and Gekko, which I have as well as xenon and cell, also, all of which I have, look nothing like the format of the application note you posted.

The legitimacy of the information isnt in superficial comparisons of format, it lies within the information provided, which is rock solid information, and highly unlikely to be faux, for numerous reasons I will not bother explaining to you, as you will only invent crazier tales to discredit them, turning the developer who kindly donated the cover sheet of espresso into some kind of sociopathic omniescent mastermind in your ttempts to explain away every obstacle you encounter and how he deviously calculated every detail.

I dont see rock solid information in this

BacdHFgCAAAvxxX.png

has marcan forgotten this?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/12/13/interview-ibm-details-gekko-part-i
"
Interview: IBM Details Gekko (Part I)

Two of the main designers behind GameCube's Gekko CPU give new insights in this IGNcube interview.

by IGN Staff
DECEMBER 12, 2001

IGNcube: Were you both involved with the design of Gekko?

IBM, Mike West:
Yes we were. I'm actually a multimedia architect. My background is graphics and multimedia, and I've been working closely with Nintendo for -- probably -- it's got to be close to four years now. And Pete, he is our lead PowerPC architect who actually worked on the detailed architecture of the Gekko chip for the changes we made, over and above the PowerPC architecture. So Pete led the [design] of the actual chip architecture and I worked with Nintendo across the system.

IGNcube: There's a sort of general conception that Gekko is just a basic PowerPC 750 and IBM didn't really modify the core that much. Is there anything you would say to dispel that conception?

IBM, Mike West:
There have been some recent articles on the web that have that view, which is a little surprising. We presented a lot of details at Hot Chips and the Embedded Processor Forum, both public domains. But, Gekko is a lot more than just a PowerPC 750 and it is an integral part of the system.

IBM, Peter Sandon:
 Nintendo came to us and said, "Here's what we need for a graphics system. We need FPU (floating point) performance beyond what will be built into the graphics chip itself and we need to move data." So the main things we concentrated on where those two: moving data through the system as it's processed and a high level of floating point performance in order to do some of the things one might expect are done on the graphics chip, but in order to do more custom kind of lighting and geometry and so-forth that can't be done in some of the fixed-function graphics pipeline on the graphics processor, we enhanced our floating point performance.

IGNcube: At the Embedded Processor Forum it was said that Gekko was used for the "close-up lighting in Luigi's Mansion." What kind of assistance does Gekko provide with that and other graphics functions?

IBM, Peter Sandon:
Well it basically does the local lighting calculations. The lighting that's implemented in the graphics chip is for lights at infinity. So, if you want to get the effects that you get from so-called local lights that don't look like they're out at infinity, those calculations are done on Gekko.

IGNcube: How much flexibility does Gekko have to assist in these kinds of graphical functions? How hard does it hit the processor when you start doing something like that.

IBM, Mike West:
You have to understand what's done with the floating point unit. It is the conventional 64-bit PowerPC floating point unit, but the adaptations we made to it allow two simultaneous 32-bit calculations to occur. Basically each instruction is completed every cycle.

IBM, Peter Sandon: 
Right, and I should say that it is a significant effort to implement the paired-single floating point function beyond what is there in the standard PowerPC.
"

Not saying that 750 wasnt fantastic processor, but the 476fp beats it both in power consumption and in DMIPS and maybe even at flops since IBM says that it packs more than 3 gigaflops, not to mention that it only occupies 3.7mm2 per core(of course that I have read that actual die size in multicore design could go up to 4mm2 per core) and was designed for embedded software in mind, so the Green Hills Software makes more sense for this processor

On pùrpose, I am not eyeofcore

Edited by megafenix, 03 December 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#34 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

<------------- prepping coffee for 3dude 

tumblr_meud7zpWmC1rjdfbwo1_500.gif

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#35 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

well 3dude is now refuting incorrect information that supports the wiiU now. instead of just refutting information that illogicly bashes it and ignooring people illogicaly praising it.

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

I dont see rock solid information in thisBacdHFgCAAAvxxX.png has marcan forgotten this?http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/12/13/interview-ibm-details-gekko-part-i[/size]"[/size]Interview: IBM Details Gekko (Part I)[/size]Two of the main designers behind GameCube's Gekko CPU give new insights in this IGNcube interview.[/size]by IGN StaffDECEMBER 12, 2001IGNcube: Were you both involved with the design of Gekko?[/size] IBM, Mike West:Yes we were. I'm actually a multimedia architect. My background is graphics and multimedia, and I've been working closely with Nintendo for -- probably -- it's got to be close to four years now. And Pete, he is our lead PowerPC architect who actually worked on the detailed architecture of the Gekko chip for the changes we made, over and above the PowerPC architecture. So Pete led the [design] of the actual chip architecture and I worked with Nintendo across the system. IGNcube: There's a sort of general conception that Gekko is just a basic PowerPC 750 and IBM didn't really modify the core that much. Is there anything you would say to dispel that conception? IBM, Mike West:There have been some recent articles on the web that have that view, which is a little surprising. We presented a lot of details at Hot Chips and the Embedded Processor Forum, both public domains. But, Gekko is a lot more than just a PowerPC 750 and it is an integral part of the system. IBM, Peter Sandon: Nintendo came to us and said, "Here's what we need for a graphics system. We need FPU (floating point) performance beyond what will be built into the graphics chip itself and we need to move data." So the main things we concentrated on where those two: moving data through the system as it's processed and a high level of floating point performance in order to do some of the things one might expect are done on the graphics chip, but in order to do more custom kind of lighting and geometry and so-forth that can't be done in some of the fixed-function graphics pipeline on the graphics processor, we enhanced our floating point performance. IGNcube: At the Embedded Processor Forum it was said that Gekko was used for the "close-up lighting in Luigi's Mansion." What kind of assistance does Gekko provide with that and other graphics functions? IBM, Peter Sandon:Well it basically does the local lighting calculations. The lighting that's implemented in the graphics chip is for lights at infinity. So, if you want to get the effects that you get from so-called local lights that don't look like they're out at infinity, those calculations are done on Gekko. IGNcube: How much flexibility does Gekko have to assist in these kinds of graphical functions? How hard does it hit the processor when you start doing something like that. IBM, Mike West:You have to understand what's done with the floating point unit. It is the conventional 64-bit PowerPC floating point unit, but the adaptations we made to it allow two simultaneous 32-bit calculations to occur. Basically each instruction is completed every cycle. IBM, Peter Sandon: Right, and I should say that it is a significant effort to implement the paired-single floating point function beyond what is there in the standard PowerPC."  Not saying that 750 wasnt fantastic processor, but the 476fp beats it both in power consumption and in DMIPS and maybe even at flops since IBM says that it packs more than 3 gigaflops, not to mention that it only occupies 3.7mm2 per core(of course that I have read that actual die size in multicore design could go up to 4mm2 per core) and was designed for embedded software in mind, so the Green Hills Software makes more sense for this processor On pùrpose, I am not eyeofcore

You are right, I see little to nothing rock solid about all that harrasment. Thats probably why someone felt bad for him and sent him an actual page of espresso documentation.

If you want to try to throwout the world of evidence because of a (erroneously) percieved and pedantic 'issue', you might as well through yourself out as both gekko, and broadway were, in fact, out of order processors, contrary to your rants.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 megafenix

megafenix

Blooper

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

You are right, I see little to nothing rock solid about all that harrasment. Thats probably why someone felt bad for him and sent him an actual page of espresso documentation.

If you want to try to throwout the world of evidence because of a (erroneously) percieved and pedantic 'issue', you might as well through yourself out as both gekko, and broadway were, in fact, out of order processors, contrary to your rants.

I wouldnt be so sure about the document, read a real IBM document and you can clearly see that the one that marcan is showing us looks to simple, besides he doesnt provide the full link from IBM so thats very suspicious since anyone with pdf editor even demo version can do that, you just download a real IBM document and modify it

BaHIGiCCMAAZca4.png

Edited by megafenix, 03 December 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#38 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

I have posted both broadway cell and xenon official documentation to this board, multiple times. Your argument is invalid garbage, as your 15 year old application note looks nothing like them.

Also, your attempt at a faux is also a failure, as it doesnt iattempt to nclude or parody any of the indicators the real espresso documentation has that points to its genuine nature.

Also, yes, the 476fp gets a little over 3 Gflops per core, at 2 Ghz.

That is poor performance compared to a simple, unimproved tricore broadway clocked to wii u speed, which would net about 15 Gflops.... @1.2 Ghz, vs 9 @ 2 Ghz.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#39 megafenix

megafenix

Blooper

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have posted both broadway cell and xenon official documentation to this board, multiple times. Your argument is invalid garbage, as your 15 year old application note looks nothing like them.

Also, your attempt at a faux is also a failure, as it doesnt iattempt to nclude or parody any of the indicators the real espresso documentation has that points to its genuine nature.

Also, yes, the 476fp gets a little over 3 Gflops per core, at 2 Ghz.

That is poor performance compared to a simple, unimproved tricore broadway clocked to wii u speed, which would net about 15 Gflops.... @1.2 Ghz, vs 9 @ 2 Ghz.

actually, is over 3 gigaflops at 1.6ghz, and we are talking about a custom processor so nintendo could have improved the flops(havent you read the report on gekko by real tech experts and not a hacker?), teh problem with broadway as the base  is that there are to many things that make it a bad candidate

has no multicore cache coherency

has no full support for out of order

doesnt have ddr3 memory controller

wasnt designed for embedded sofware in mind(green hills software support makes more sense for a 476fp than a 750, not saying that 750 canr be used for embedded purposes but the 400 pocessors were intended for this from the very beggining)

etc

all those things are avilable in the 476fp, i have already provided enough proves and marcans document proves nothing until he provides a full link from IBM, and his coment about the paired singles being an obstacle makes no sense after one reads what IBM did to the Gekko FPU

compatibility is no problem and i have a real document from IBM that proves this also

Edited by megafenix, 03 December 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#40 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

actually, is over 3 gigaflops at 1.6ghz, and we are talking about a custom processor so nintendo could have improved the flops(havent you read the report on gekko by real tech experts and not a hacker?), teh problem with broadway as the base are to many things that make it a bad candidate

has no multicore cache coherency
has no full support for out of order
doesnt have ddr3 memory controller
wasnt designed for embedded sofware in mind
etc

all those things are avilable in the 476fp, i have already provided enough proves and marcans document proves nothing until he provides a full link from IBM

No, you have not.

1. You are using the standard operational frequency of the 476fp, and pairing it with the peak theoretical flops number. Doesnt work like that. You dont get peak theoretical flops unless you are running at max allowable frequency.

2. All of your bs applies perfectly well to customising the 750 to doing it instead of customizing the 476 to do broadway.

3. The documentation explicitely adresses those 'shortcomings' you are ranting about, further invalidating your frothing nonsense. You know, aside from the ones that were already flat out wrong.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!