Photo

Shouldnt Watchdogs dynamic city work well with the Wii U's CPU?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

http://wiiudaily.com...-dogs-graphics/

"Wii U is pretty much in-between – it’s neither of them, not current-gen, maybe closer to current-gen than next-gen.”

Take this to mean whatever you want.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#22 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

http://wiiudaily.com...-dogs-graphics/

"Wii U is pretty much in-between – it’s neither of them, not current-gen, maybe closer to current-gen than next-gen.”

Take this to mean whatever you want.

Yep... so basically they don't give a crap.

Edited by The King of All Cosmos, 19 December 2013 - 09:50 AM.
Don't circumvent the swear filter.

#23 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Dissapointed. Like i am withh 99.99% of the garbage that passes for gaming today, and how publishers have conditioned them into not just accepting, but pavlovically conditioned to actually crave this insipid worthless garbage over actually playing real worthwhile games.

http://m.neogaf.com/...ad.php?t=736867

Omg, is this for real? I'm bursting into laughter right now and it's not even funny.

But seriously, wtf? I agree with stuff like the Other M cinematic compilation, but "Watch the rest of the story"? Really? If you don't want to play the game anymore it's probably because it sucks and is boring as hell. Wii the story, you shouldn't even buy the game in the first place if all you wanted was to watch a movie.

Jeez, no wonder why cod sells so much. This industry is full of these guys.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#24 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Dissapointed. Like i am withh 99.99% of the garbage that passes for gaming today, and how publishers have conditioned them into not just accepting, but pavlovically conditioned to actually crave this insipid worthless garbage over actually playing real worthwhile games.

http://m.neogaf.com/...ad.php?t=736867

I have a suggestion for those people. I'ts the hot new thing of 1896. They call it moving pictures or as it will later come to be known as Film or a Movie. I predict Teenagers will engage in sexual activity in horseless carriges in a large area and a massive 7 foot screen. We hope to one day bring this new medium on boxes in the home and promise to deliver large 9 inch screens...we may not be able to do this until the 1930's I'm afraid and may not come to commerical use I predict to the late 1940's. Stay tuned to the 1939 worlds fair when we have new info.

#25 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

Omg, is this for real? I'm bursting into laughter right now and it's not even funny.

But seriously, wtf? I agree with stuff like the Other M cinematic compilation, but "Watch the rest of the story"? Really? If you don't want to play the game anymore it's probably because it sucks and is boring as hell. Wii the story, you shouldn't even buy the game in the first place if all you wanted was to watch a movie.

Jeez, no wonder why cod sells so much. This industry is full of these guys.

Yeah absolutely crazy. I actually think it's why The Last of Us is considered to be this amazing game. I've heard several people online say it's amazing but they didn't like the combat, which surely is most of the actual game isn't it?

#26 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yeah absolutely crazy. I actually think it's why The Last of Us is considered to be this amazing game. I've heard several people online say it's amazing but they didn't like the combat, which surely is most of the actual game isn't it?

No, there is a lot of well done exploration. Its really the bulk of the game, exploring nd's set peices. Its what more or less seperates tlou from uncharted, similar to what seperates contra from metroid... albeit of a much lesser difference...

The combats not bad per se, its just incredibly streamlined the way all homogenous AAAAAAAA games are. Basically, on screen your dude is doing the most amazing things, but in the real world, you could be slapping your nuts across the buttons and get the same results. Going stealth is a lot more entertaining imo, but should you screw up, just pull out your nuts and slap the buttons and youll kill everything in cool cinematic ways... With your nuts.

Its much better than bad broken or boring combat, but also falls far short of the satisfaction of actually doing cool things yourself as opposed to pushing a for awesome.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#27 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

No, there is a lot of well done exploration. Its really the bulk of the game, exploring nd's set peices. Its what more or less seperates tlou from uncharted, similar to what seperates contra from metroid... albeit of a much lesser difference...

The combats not bad per se, its just incredibly streamlined the way all homogenous AAAAAAAA games are. Basically, on screen your dude is doing the most amazing things, but in the real world, you could be slapping your nuts across the buttons and get the same results. Going stealth is a lot more entertaining imo, but should you screw up, just pull out your nuts and slap the buttons and youll kill everything in cool cinematic ways... With your nuts.

Its much better than bad broken or boring combat, but also falls far short of the satisfaction of actually doing cool things yourself as opposed to pushing a for awesome.

You should see what I posted on my thread. I've got a guy that basically thinks that all retro-style games shouldn't be made anymore and that all games should be like TLOU and GTAV due to their "innovation". 

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#28 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

It will work much better with the PS4 & X1 cpu as they are x86 the WiIU's CPU is quite old tech, the only way the WiIU could possibly be better is the way the gamepad is used, but in 99% of the games on the WiiU the gamepad has added nothing much at all.

I have the deadsec WiiU version on pre-order but i will wait until later to see what news comes out, i'm getting a PS4 in march next year so i may cancel my WiiU version & the PS4 version instead.

#29 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

It will work much better with the PS4 & X1 cpu as they are x86 the WiIU's CPU is quite old tech, the only way the WiIU could possibly be better is the way the gamepad is used, but in 99% of the games on the WiiU the gamepad has added nothing much at all.

I have the deadsec WiiU version on pre-order but i will wait until later to see what news comes out, i'm getting a PS4 in march next year so i may cancel my WiiU version & the PS4 version instead.

x86 is much, much much older than ppc... And is in fact widely known as being considerably worse and very inneffecient compared to just about anything Risc based.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#30 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

x86 is much, much much older than ppc... And is in fact widely known as being considerably worse and very inneffecient compared to just about anything Risc based.

that is not the point or issue, it is the ease of working with it, all the games devs & pubs are working on x86 instruction sets for the PC, PS4 & X1 to make games for the WiiU they have to set aside another team which is not worth the investment because of the low user base or port it after the game is released on the other systems, either way the WiiU & it's owners lose out.

http://www.osnews.com/story/3997

#31 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Core for Core Wii U CPU is better than PS4/XBO tho. Plus has dual core Arm processor to deal with the OS. People get too caught up in raw numbers but in reality the WIi U is the most well designed machine and extremely powerful.

As for PC who uses AMD anymore? Intel dominates these days.

Edited by Ryudo, 21 December 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#32 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

the game is being made & developed for the x86 machines though, thats what we are talking about, not which system is the most powerful.

the WiiU has problems running PS3/X360 games so don't go on how the WiiU CPU-GPU is more powerful than the PS4/X1

Edited by alan666, 21 December 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#33 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

that is not the point or issue, it is the ease of working with it, all the games devs & pubs are working on x86 instruction sets for the PC, PS4 & X1 to make games for the WiiU they have to set aside another team which is not worth the investment because of the low user base or port it after the game is released on the other systems, either way the WiiU & it's owners lose out.

http://www.osnews.com/story/3997

Most game devs today will actually never see a difference, as they dont actually work with low instruction level tasks, the compiler does that for them. The only time theyd see a difference is if they went down to assembly level, which very very few devs today are really capable of doing. Most of them stay up in the high level, wasteful middle ware engines.

Also, since you seemed to have missed it, it has been admitted the xbone/ps4 cpu isnt strong enough to brute force ps360 games either (which is what wii u's cpu is being forced to do), which was stated when it was being explained reasons as to why the ps4/xbone are not backwards compatable.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#34 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Most game devs today will actually never see a difference, as they dont actually work with low instruction level tasks, the compiler does that for them. The only time theyd see a difference is if they went down to assembly level, which very very few devs today are really capable of doing. Most of them stay up in the high level, wasteful middle ware engines.

Also, since you seemed to have missed it, it has been admitted the xbone/ps4 cpu isnt strong enough to brute force ps360 games either (which is what wii u's cpu is being forced to do), which was stated when it was being explained reasons as to why the ps4/xbone are not backwards compatable.

I was going to mention the backwards compatibility thing in the Assassins Creed thread, as it's what I read about yesterday, how Xbox One can't play 360 games as the CPU isn't powerful enough for in order tasks or something along those lines.

It did make me think how many Wii U games are having to run in that same way...

#35 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

the game is being made & developed for the x86 machines though, thats what we are talking about, not which system is the most powerful.

the WiiU has problems running PS3/X360 games so don't go on how the WiiU CPU-GPU is more powerful than the PS4/X1

My modern PC has trouble running some PS1 era games on steam. Does that make my PC less powerful? No it means it was ported to newer hardware not meant to run those games.

#36 Grooseland

Grooseland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

It's all about how the developer optimize the game for the Wii U... 

Also remember that Watch Dogs is a "last gen" game, really nothing next gen about it. If Ubi can make a decent port, then we'll get above ps360 standards but not the VERY little touches of what is called "next gen" which is insignificant.

#37 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:00 AM

The PowerPC CPU use in the WiiU is based on the chip used in the Wii, PS3 & X360 so as a easy option the games can be ported to the WiiU which is why the WiiU gets the ports of PS3/X360 games & the reason why the ports are not better, in fact in many cases worse or have 'stuff' missing, the PS4, X1 & todays gaming PC's including the SteamBox do not use PowerPC based CPU's the age of the tech makes no difference it is the way it is used & utilized, all the 'next gen' games will be made or designed for the hardware it will be run on & this will be x86-64 chipsets, if the PS4 & X1 cannot run games for the PS3 & X360 because of the different hardware set-ups (they are not backwards compatible) then the games cannot be ported over to the WiiU for the very same reasons, if the WiiU has trouble with games written for PowerPC systems (X360,PS3) how will it cope with x86-64 designed games.

WatchDogs may well be designed for current/last gen but it will of been put back so that it can be optimised for the x86-64 hardware, all games are written on x86-64 PCs  or bespoke hardware systems that use x86-64, the move to 'next gen (8th)' will not make things any better for the WiiU, in fact it will be the opposite.

PS4 x86-64

X1 - x86-64

SteamBox - x86-64

Regular Gaming PC - x86-64

Mac - x86-64

WiiU - PowerPC (RISC)

Ipad/Pod/Phone - ARM (RISC)

Andriod - ARM (RISC)

Windows RT - ARM (RISC)

So the WiiU is going to have the most compatibility with mobile phone games if you look at it from a hardware point.

#38 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

The PowerPC CPU use in the WiiU is based on the chip used in the Wii, PS3 & X360 so as a easy option the games can be ported to the WiiU which is why the WiiU gets the ports of PS3/X360 games & the reason why the ports are not better, in fact in many cases worse or have 'stuff' missing, the PS4, X1 & todays gaming PC's including the SteamBox do not use PowerPC based CPU's the age of the tech makes no difference it is the way it is used & utilized, all the 'next gen' games will be made or designed for the hardware it will be run on & this will be x86-64 chipsets, if the PS4 & X1 cannot run games for the PS3 & X360 because of the different hardware set-ups (they are not backwards compatible) then the games cannot be ported over to the WiiU for the very same reasons, if the WiiU has trouble with games written for PowerPC systems (X360,PS3) how will it cope with x86-64 designed games.

WatchDogs may well be designed for current/last gen but it will of been put back so that it can be optimised for the x86-64 hardware, all games are written on x86-64 PCs  or bespoke hardware systems that use x86-64, the move to 'next gen (8th)' will not make things any better for the WiiU, in fact it will be the opposite.

PS4 x86-64
X1 - x86-64
SteamBox - x86-64
Regular Gaming PC - x86-64
Mac - x86-64

WiiU - PowerPC (RISC)
Ipad/Pod/Phone - ARM (RISC)
Andriod - ARM (RISC)
Windows RT - ARM (RISC)

So the WiiU is going to have the most compatibility with mobile phone games if you look at it from a hardware point.

X86 IS CISC by the way.

Well, now, you are confusing core instruction architectures with actual physical architectures of the chips.

The nintendo 750 series design and the xenos/ppe design are night and day different, and require extremely different approaches to utilization or you will end up nuking performance... Also the fact you have to manually control time slicing as opposed to an auto schedueler threw a lot of port tewms off, which is why a devastatingly large number of 3rd party games are only running on 1 espresso cpu core.

Anyways, where wii u and espresso would be 'code similar' 360/ps3 ppe would only be in the USER SPACE (Vocab word worth googling), because they all use power isa instruction architecture.

But, for where physical chip designs are concerned, that happens on a lower level called the 'KERNEL SPACE', where those higher level instructions are broken down to be used by the specific architecture unique to each individual processor line, and here, the ppe and espresso's highly evolved 750 are woefully incompatable, and unscrewing the heavily ppe designed (honed for 7 years) kernel code so espresso can use it destroys performance.

So you see, you could actually have an x86 and ppc processor that are far more similar on the kernel level, than another processor of the same instruction architecture.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#39 theizzzeee

theizzzeee

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

You all may want to check this outhttp://hdwarriors.co...-isight-part-1/ http://hdwarriors.co...-under-perform/

Edited by theizzzeee, 24 December 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#40 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

thanks for posting this... i know it will get overlooked by most Wii U underpowered crowd but.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!