Photo

What Are Your Thoughts On Super Mario 3D World?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Reversal

Reversal

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

So what is everyone's thoughts on Super Mario 3D World? And how would you compare it to Super Mario 3D Land?

Edit: Can someone move this thread to the Wii U games section? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Reversal, 24 December 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

Controls feel broken, the game is a hybrid of 3D land+Galaxy+the new super mario bros games, the multiplayer doesn't work well, the bubble doesn't work if you are about to fall off a cliff, all the controls feel sticky, the only thing this game has in common with Galaxy is the controls are kinda sorta similar... maybe...

It's better than 3D land, but I feel like this game was unfinished with all the broken controls... oh, and I notice if you go to the home menu then go back to the game, there's a two second delay until your character moves...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

An excellent 3D platforming experience that the whole family can enjoy :3 The only cons to making a game "the whole family can enjoy" is that the difficulty doesnt ever seem to get to the point where it'd be nearly as enjoyable for just me to play by myself. But for a game I played with my dad and 10 year old sister it was perfect

10/10 - Multiplayer

7/10 - Solo

Controls feel broken, the game is a hybrid of 3D land+Galaxy+the new super mario bros games, the multiplayer doesn't work well, the bubble doesn't work if you are about to fall off a cliff, all the controls feel sticky, the only thing this game has in common with Galaxy is the controls are kinda sorta similar... maybe...

It's better than 3D land, but I feel like this game was unfinished with all the broken controls... oh, and I notice if you go to the home menu then go back to the game, there's a two second delay until your character moves...

The controls were fine for this game.... You must have been holding your controller upside down or something :P

#4 Reversal

Reversal

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

I've played a little bit of 3D World and the I never had these problems at all.

#5 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

It's a great game, like a classic 2d Mario game in 3d. The only thing I don't like about the controls is that running uses the same button as picking things up, so you end up picking up and throwing the other players all the time. There are a lot of unused buttons they could have assigned to picking up instead, so it's quite annoying.

#6 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Simple really - fantastic game and well deserved of the praise.

#7 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

An excellent 3D platforming experience that the whole family can enjoy :3 The only cons to making a game "the whole family can enjoy" is that the difficulty doesnt ever seem to get to the point where it'd be nearly as enjoyable for just me to play by myself. But for a game I played with my dad and 10 year old sister it was perfect

10/10 - Multiplayer

7/10 - Solo

The controls were fine for this game.... You must have been holding your controller upside down or something :P

The game was better by myself, felt more like galaxy and all that, multiplayer it felt like 3D land, when I try to do a long jump or something, or try to land a jump, I sometimes feel like the game would be better in 3D... (also, only Rosalina has spin attack)

I've played a little bit of 3D World and the I never had these problems at all.

Idk, maybe you didn't play much of it.

It's a great game, like a classic 2d Mario game in 3d. The only thing I don't like about the controls is that running uses the same button as picking things up, so you end up picking up and throwing the other players all the time. There are a lot of unused buttons they could have assigned to picking up instead, so it's quite annoying.

You have to keep in mind that some people have to play with just a wii mote in multiplayer mode... (not me, but other people :P)

sfOI1m6.jpg

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

The game was better by myself, felt more like galaxy and all that, multiplayer it felt like 3D land, when I try to do a long jump or something, or try to land a jump, I sometimes feel like the game would be better in 3D... (also, only Rosalina has spin attack)

Idk, maybe you didn't play much of it.

You have to keep in mind that some people have to play with just a wii mote in multiplayer mode... (not me, but other people :P)

Other players don't HAVE to use wiimote... classic controller, wii mote nunchuk, pro controller. ...
Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#9 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Other players don't HAVE to use wiimote... classic controller, wii mote nunchuk, pro controller. ...

I know, I never used it that way, just wii mote and nunchuck... I was just saying the other configurations don't have that many buttons to have it so you press one to hold an item or a person and another to run.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#10 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

What i think is funny is this game is the least played in my house right now. The wife and I are addicited to Pikmin local play especially the new DLC, and COD:Ghost extenction mode. The kids are playing Lego marvel and we get 3dworld in whenever we can.

#11 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

map design is great, controls are meh, i dont like dealing with momentum and all that BS in mario platformers =/. multyplayer works well in the earlier levels, on the later ones, not so much. peach is overpowered. roselina works but her mechanic works very strangly with the controls. 

#12 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Game is awesome.

Great graphics.

Very cute details.

Everything seems polished.

Extremely tight, very responsive controls (sorry yoshi, I seriously have to question your criticism of the games controls. They're very precise).

And just a lot of fun.

Not the longest game in the world, but a must to own.

The only gripe I have (which is common to many platformers) is that some levels are skill based, while others are more memory based. Auto scroll levels require you to know in advance where certain objects will be located. That is only in a couple of areas and a very tiny gripe.

But overall, the game gets an "A+"

#13 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

I do think that is a more fun experience than Super Mario 3D Land (which was still a very fun game). The levels are more inventive and varied, and you have more characters to choose from. Characters that are more than the pallet swap that was Luigi in 3D Land. (3D World Luigi plays more like he did in SMB2), It also has more Galaxy-like bosses, which is nice.

However, I do not think that the game deserves all of the hype it has gotten. It most certainly doesn't say much good about the year's games if people are considering this GOTY. The game still feels very short, and, to be honest, there's nothing wowing about it. It's an improvement on Super Mario 3D Land, but it still just feels like another version.

In short, it's fun, but there's nothing amazing about it. It's worth a rent, or a cheap purchase, but don't expect it to be "OMG! This is the best game ever!" because really it's just another 3D Land. Not the 3D Mario platformer for the Wii U, I hope.

Edited by Envy, 25 December 2013 - 03:13 AM.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#14 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

I do think that is a more fun experience than Super Mario 3D Land (which was still a very fun game). The levels are more inventive and varied, and you have more characters to choose from. Characters that are more than the pallet swap that was Luigi in 3D Land. (3D World Luigi plays more like he did in SMB2), It also has more Galaxy-like bosses, which is nice.

However, I do not think that the game deserves all of the hype it has gotten. It most certainly doesn't say much good about the year's games if people are considering this GOTY. The game still feels very short, and, to be honest, there's nothing wowing about it. It's an improvement on Super Mario 3D Land, but it still just feels like another version.

In short, it's fun, but there's nothing amazing about it. It's worth a rent, or a cheap purchase, but don't expect it to be "OMG! This is the best game ever!" because really it's just another 3D Land. Not the 3D Mario platformer for the Wii U, I hope.

I respect everyones opinion. The game got GOTY nods for a reason it is extremly polished for a game developed by EAD Tokyo B team. this game was a quick game puttogether for the holiday season and look at what they accomplished. I have been saying for years i think Nintendo has the best developers in the Industry. The amount of polish and quality you find in their games are amazing.... and thats without all the patches that other studios have to release after launching a game just so it can run properly. I cant wait for when this generation is wrapping up so Wii U can get the credit it will earn.... there are going to be so many amazing games on this console that make the purchase so worth it.

#15 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

this game was a quick game puttogether for the holiday season and look at what they accomplished.

By this time in the system's lifespan (one entire year in) we should be seeing more than a "quick game put together for the holiday season".

It's sad that even though I waited a year to get the system, that's still all I get out of it. (of course I got it for Mario Kart 8 and SSB4, but still...)

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

By this time in the system's lifespan (one entire year in) we should be seeing more than a "quick game put together for the holiday season".

It's sad that even though I waited a year to get the system, that's still all I get out of it. (of course I got it for Mario Kart 8 and SSB4, but still...)

Is this not something that every console goes through at launch. I remeber all the complaints from ps3 fans when there were no games for the system about a year in. It takes time to build a goodlibrary of games and while gamers have been complaining... I have enjoyed Lego City, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Rayman legends, Splinter cell blacklist, COD:ghost, mario 3d world , and my kids are enjoying lego marvel. games are there on the system gamers just have to stop complaining and actually enjoy the games that are there.

#17 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:57 AM

Um... The run button has always been the same button ad the pickup. Ever since The first game where you can pick up shells.

Edited by Chrop, 25 December 2013 - 04:51 PM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#18 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

One word--  PERFECTION!  Super Mario 3D World is one of the best titles ever made for the Wii U.  Local multi-player, HD graphics (scaled full HD), 60 fps, flawless play control, highest replay value, greater depth, and a definite must own.  If you haven't played a fun and unique Mario title, pick up 3D World right away.  But if you haven't purchased a Wii U deluxe set, my best advice from me to you... is to buy it along with this perfect 10 title!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#19 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

I played this game for 3 hours last night and loved every bit of it. Digging the music and the MiiVerse integration is probably my favorite part. Love posting things and seeing what other people post. Controls are great, visuals are great, and most of all the game is FUN

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Its 2d mario in 3d. Shiguru has a real boner for this sort of thing as it appeals more to the 2d player base than the 3d one, which greatly eclipses 3d mario players.

The controls are flawless, provided you understand you are playing 2d mechanics in 3d, and not a 3d mario. Level design is supurb, and the game looks slick for the most part.

Still, its a 2d mario through and through, and as you are simply going from one end of the stage to the flag pole at the other, it does nothing to scratch the adventure game itch people who play 3d mario's look for.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!