Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

On Friday, the company slashed its Wii U sales forecast from 9 to 2.8 million units - a dramatic reduction that it expects will swing its full-year results from profit to loss.

Iwata apologised to shareholders in Kyoto for the extent of the under-performance, and insisted his intention was to rapidly reverse the company's fortunes. According to a report from Japan news groupNikkei, the Nintendo executive insisted he would not resign.

Sales of both Wii U and the 3DS handheld are significantly under expectations. However, throughout 2013 the 3DS was the best-selling console across the US, Japan and many parts of Europe. The system sold record numbers on certain occasions.

But the company's Wii U business is currently in gradual decline, with its first six months outperforming the most recent six. Globally, software for the original Wii still outsells the Wii U's. Meanwhile, the release of Super Mario 3D World - an acclaimed game that was expected to drive sales - has not stimulated the market, with the game failing to pick up meaningful sales in the west.

http://www.computera...ign-says-iwata/

Don't worry Iwata, they'll just fire you soon. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

POPULAR

This isn't sports. He doesn't need to. He had 3 massively successful platforms. Just because one is struggling does not mean fire a guy. Nintendo will be fine and people can shove the fire Iwata carp up their ass. Also firing him now would shake up the company so bad do far more damage than good.

Things will get fixed and even if they are making massive bank people will doom them and call for heads for another reason

#3 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

It's time he resigns. We need fresh blood in the company.

2lvmghw.png

#4 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Satoru Iwata: "I'm not going resign"  :laugh: 

Satoru Iwata: "I'm not going resign"  :laugh: 

#5 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Popular belief is that a company can just toss the CEO/President, and you will magically have a fix. This is not true, and sometimes it costs money to remove executives just with the initial action (look at Yahoo and the COO ousting). Further, everything this team has done has been in motion for years. That means capital has been reinvested for years to get to this point.

Consider that software sales were down 9% from 2012 (citing the GAF NPD thread). The 3ds lead everything in 2013 in hardware sales. However, the Wii U was anemic.

When you look at this drastically cut down version of the issue facing Nintendo (and their bottom line), you can see that a drastic step actually creates more risk than it is worth (as of this date).

The issue is simple really. Nintendo needs to look at the markets of which it does not fare well in, and then work on changing their position in those areas (looking at NA and EU specifically). In avoiding competition, it is like, for those markets, Nintendo is always putting toppings on a pizza that those markets may not want, and then serving them anyway. It is overlooked with handhelds, but the console market appears to be very different.

#6 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

I think he's had success before so why fire or replace him now when the system isn't dead yet? I mean Nintendo needs new blood all around and just new thinkers there but firing it's head dog in charge is a really big move.

#7 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Iwata = Nintendo's  cancerous cyst

Signature_DK.png

#8 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Iwata = Nintendo's  cancerous cyst

thats a bit harsh  :unsure:

#9 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

He had 3 sucessful platforms because there was a market for the at the time. The market that he's trying to lead nintendo on is long gone. I think they should fire him and replace him with someone that's more in touch with the current gaming community
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#10 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

He had 3 sucessful platforms because there was a market for the at the time. The market that he's trying to lead nintendo on is long gone. I think they should fire him and replace him with someone that's more in touch with the current gaming community

Firing Iwata will only work if there is a team in place to work with this new individual. There is likely a corporate culture issue here, and a strategy shift over a scorched earth reaction would probably be more financially viable. Consultants would help tremendously.

Nintendo needs to remain unique while catering to traditional audiences. Cutting and pasting new execs would change this.

#11 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

thats a bit harsh  :unsure:

It was a joke. All joking aside I just dont think he gets it.

Signature_DK.png

#12 Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time

Spiny

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

original.jpg

I'll give him one more year.  Lets see how far this goes.

I am ready for new wave of images and gifs of the new person when Iwatas time is up.

#13 Ledo Jaeger

Ledo Jaeger

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • NNID:Aarony

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

It would be a sad day, personally, if I came onto the internets one day to see Iwata fired. I like him. But that's just from a superficial standpoint, not a business one

In other words, I love you

#14 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

After the massive success of Wii, this guy isn't going anywhere anytime soon

#15 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

Nintendo may well post a third consecutive fiscal loss and if this happens, Iwata's approval ratings may slide further downwards.

I like Iwata but the way in which the 3DS and Wii U were launched has hurt Nintendo. They released these devices without any must own/must play games and with very little marketing. Fortunately their AAA games Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 helped change the fortunes of the 3DS and I hope their AAA games help change the Wii U's fortunes.

But I think it maybe time for a change, Iwata as much as I like him just seems to have a lack of understanding of what gamers want. Why force the tablet controller onto customers who have no interest in such devices? It should have been an optional accessory with the Pro Controller being the standard issue controller. Had they done this and then had they released Zelda U and Super Smash Bros as launch games, then I highly doubt the Wii U would have been struggling like it was throughout 2013.

After the massive success of Wii, this guy isn't going anywhere anytime soon

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Past success is past success, all eyes in Nintendo's board room is on the present and the immediate future.

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

Jesus Christ Iwata.
If you were an American CEO, you'd be in court for proclaiming 9 million sales as a forecast.
That's pretty mis-leading, no way could he possibly expect those numbers if he's revised the number to 2.8 million.

The sooner he steps back the better. He doesn't have to leave the company, but just let someone else have the last say.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 Leland

Leland

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Nintendo may well post a third consecutive fiscal loss and if this happens, Iwata's approval ratings may slide further downwards.

I like Iwata but the way in which the 3DS and Wii U were launched has hurt Nintendo. They released these devices without any must own/must play games and with very little marketing. Fortunately their AAA games Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 helped change the fortunes of the 3DS and I hope their AAA games help change the Wii U's fortunes.

But I think it maybe time for a change, Iwata as much as I like him just seems to have a lack of understanding of what gamers want. Why force the tablet controller onto customers who have no interest in such devices? It should have been an optional accessory with the Pro Controller being the standard issue controller. Had they done this and then had they released Zelda U and Super Smash Bros as launch games, then I highly doubt the Wii U would have been struggling like it was throughout 2013.

I think you’re right. Unfortunately past history is just that, and as the head of one of the biggest gaming companies, he should always be looking forward and steering the company in the right direction. I think Iwata has lost his way and certainly seems to be out of his depth. He’s issued so many apologies that I think he should just start up another video series: “Iwata Apologizes."

Nintendo needs to make some major changes to their core philosophies, and I don’t think Iwata is the man for the job. That doesn’t mean that he can’t work for Nintendo anymore, but I think he should step aside for a better candidate.

#18 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

I think you’re right. Unfortunately past history is just that, and as the head of one of the biggest gaming companies, he should always be looking forward and steering the company in the right direction. I think Iwata has lost his way and certainly seems to be out of his depth. He’s issued so many apologies that I think he should just start up another video series: “Iwata Apologizes."

Nintendo needs to make some major changes to their core philosophies, and I don’t think Iwata is the man for the job. That doesn’t mean that he can’t work for Nintendo anymore, but I think he should step aside for a better candidate.

Nintendo seriously needs someone who understands what gamers want.

Iwata hit the right notes with the DS and the Wii, but the market has changed, tastes evolve and change and the nature of the industry is forever changing. I get the sense that Iwata thought "well 155 million people bought the DS and 90+million people bought the Wii", therefore those people will automatically go out and buy the next generation of consoles and well that simply isn't the case.

I think it is time for a change, someone younger, more ambitious, who understands the industry and wants to try and forge stronger relationships with third party developers and also encourage new IP's at Nintendo.

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

lol at people panicking calling for his head.  They will be fine and he will fix it. A true test of a CEO is ow they work through a troubling time. Even good CEO's have them. The company is not about to fall apart.  If Nintendo fired a CEO every time some trouble brewed Yamauchi would have been fired 34 times. He nearly took it to bankruptcy in the early 80's,could not figure out what kind of company it was for a couple decades and had a failed toy biz. Nintendo is nowhere near that. Just keep up the marketing and then some and keep a steady flow of games and market those games. Japanese business is often more calm about these things than westerners who want change right away.

Edited by Ryudo, 18 January 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#20 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

If he isn't going to resign, what's he going to do ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!