GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

What does that have to do with turning their prized franchises into mainstream western made slop? Thats not even close to new. All thats doing is bringing the garbage i go to wii u to get away from, to wii u.

Nintendo has PLENTY of ip's, and the ability to make ip's that appeal to the west, or to anyone who enjoys great REAL games.

The problem isnt Nintendo doesnt HAVE anything, or the capability to do these games, and thus needs to resort to outsourcing to western studios for generic factory made slop with nintendo character paint.

The problem is they have these things and are actively REFUSING to do or show these things on the wii u.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I think what is being overlooked is the quality of devs working on sonic boom. I am not just saying give over a prized ip to just anyone who is willing to make it. Do the research and find the right group of devs that are going to do the ip justice and treat it like it's their baby. I mean with Platinum begging to do starfox just make it happen already. So I guess I am not just referring to western devs a dev that has the passion and credentials to get the job done. I am excited for X, And Bayo2 but the lack of information is not cool. The secretive nature of Nintendo is killing me. I like what I see from Sonic boom and the chances they are taking. Enough to make me buy the game... I believe it will turn out well. I want to see Nintendo take chances I love the bayo2 pickup we just need more of the same. 

#22 cadrethree

cadrethree

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Nintendo is too stuck in the past as far as game making is concerned.  They are like the last company still making classic silent movies.  They are all still the best classic movies that have ever been made, but the market has moved on.  What I would like to see is Nintendo start buying 5 or 10 indie game developers and their IP's for the next 5 years.  Keep it small with a limit of a million or less on each indie developer.  Expand all their studio's to pump 1 AAA game on the 3ds and Wii U each and every year.  Spend their vast war chest on building NST and Retro, plus buying some smaller studio's in the west.  Give their western studio's full control over the games they make locally and bring over from Japan.  Have a lot more 3rd person shooters and sports games on their system.  Get Square/Enix to set up a joint venture with them to bring over their AAA games and develop unique games that they both own.  Buy the best IP from Japanese companies that are in danger of folding or have folded.  That's the least they need to do a couple of years before the start of the next generation.  IMHO  

#23 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

cadrethree, on 11 Feb 2014 - 7:40 PM, said:
Nintendo is too stuck in the past as far as game making is concerned. They are like the last company still making classic silent movies. They are all still the best classic movies that have ever been made, but the market has moved on. What I would like to see is Nintendo start buying 5 or 10 indie game developers and their IP's for the next 5 years. Keep it small with a limit of a million or less on each indie developer. Expand all their studio's to pump 1 AAA game on the 3ds and Wii U each and every year. Spend their vast war chest on building NST and Retro, plus buying some smaller studio's in the west. Give their western studio's full control over the games they make locally and bring over from Japan. Have a lot more 3rd person shooters and sports games on their system. Get Square/Enix to set up a joint venture with them to bring over their AAA games and develop unique games that they both own. Buy the best IP from Japanese companies that are in danger of folding or have folded. That's the least they need to do a couple of years before the start of the next generation. IMHO

Disagree completely with the first and second sentence. Thats the narration AAAAAAAAAAA publishers are spending 1.8 billion dollars a year trying to brainwash people into believing. Yeah, broken games that dont even work months after launch, have no real gameplay, because the game practically plays itself, and relies on movies, where you put the controller down and watch as its big draw, is NOT moving on. Its giving up.

Agree heavily with aquiring independent studios, and so does Nintendo. Nintendo has an eye for picking the best with the brightest potential, notable indie studios picked up by Nintendo: Retro studios, Monolith soft. While clearly quality over quantity is the right way to go, the Indies are the future. Right now, they dont have the budget or manpower to make the kind of games necessary for big console releases, obviously, Nintendo has the answer to those problems, and not in the way EA does, where they calculate the burn rate of your project and string you along until you are depleted and forced to shut down or accept a terrible aquisition deal and have all your ip's turned to crap.... Quite the opposite actually, see 'xenoblade' the only xeno game Takahashi was ever allowed to actually finish.

Disagree with 'more shoot bangs and sports games' Their is enough pandered crap on the market to drown mt everest.

Disagree with squeenix anything. Why? Nintendo ALREADY OWNS 90% of Square soft. You know, the actual talent behind Square back when it made great games like chrono trigger, ff6, or even ff7? Yeah, Nintendo has those guys, like, practically all of them, except the ones in mistwalker. Making a little game code named X, maybe youve heard of it? Squeenix is nothing more than a used condom today.

And buying Japanses ip's? Buy the talent behind the ip's. And then keep them. Thats what Nintendo does.

I dont know what the hell nintendo is doing right now, because they wont say a damn word. But they HAVE been buying up talent left and right, they are hiring right now, for two of their biggest newest studios, who are exactly what you said you wanted, Retro studios and monolith soft, opening new buildings for and expanding studios for both. Nintendo has a lot of stuff cooking. WHich is one reason Im so pissed they arent saying anything.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#24 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

Disagree completely with the first and second sentence. Thats the narration AAAAAAAAAAA publishers are spending 1.8 billion dollars a year trying to brainwash people into believing. Yeah, broken games that dont even work months after launch, have no real gameplay, because the game practically plays itself, and relies on movies, where you put the controller down and watch as its big draw, is NOT moving on. Its giving up.

Agree heavily with aquiring independent studios, and so does Nintendo. Nintendo has an eye for picking the best with the brightest potential, notable indie studios picked up by Nintendo: Retro studios, Monolith soft. While clearly quality over quantity is the right way to go, the Indies are the future. Right now, they dont have the budget or manpower to make the kind of games necessary for big console releases, obviously, Nintendo has the answer to those problems, and not in the way EA does, where they calculate the burn rate of your project and string you along until you are depleted and forced to shut down or accept a terrible aquisition deal and have all your ip's turned to crap.... Quite the opposite actually, see 'xenoblade' the only xeno game Takahashi was ever allowed to actually finish.

Disagree with 'more shoot bangs and sports games' Their is enough pandered crap on the market to drown mt everest.

Disagree with squeenix anything. Why? Nintendo ALREADY OWNS 90% of Square soft. You know, the actual talent behind Square back when it made great games like chrono trigger, ff6, or even ff7? Yeah, Nintendo has those guys, like, practically all of them, except the ones in mistwalker. Making a little game code named X, maybe youve heard of it? Squeenix is nothing more than a used condom today.

And buying Japanses ip's? Buy the talent behind the ip's. And then keep them. Thats what Nintendo does.

I dont know what the hell nintendo is doing right now, because they wont say a damn word. But they HAVE been buying up talent left and right, they are hiring right now, for two of their biggest newest studios, who are exactly what you said you wanted, Retro studios and monolith soft, opening new buildings for and expanding studios for both. Nintendo has a lot of stuff cooking. WHich is one reason Im so pissed they arent saying anything.

and that's where Nintendo problem lies. If it's not one thing it's another. I for one feel like Nintendo has the Money, talent, experience, and IP's to dominate the industry every generation. Most of their practices are just outdated. The consumer doesn't relate to Nintendo they need to find balance a happy medium. They can't totally ignore the shooter crowd but they can't ignore the Mario crowd either. Sink or swim this is a business I am not going to feel sad for them a lot of what they are going through are their fault. Like you said the damn quietness has to stop. ITS SICKENING! They have to step out their comfort zone a little bit you don't grow unless you challenge yourself and your way of thinking. 

#25 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

Nintendo's problem seems to an inability to support two devices. They simply haven't got the infrastructure to support their handheld devices and their home console devices and this coupled with a lack of third party support means Nintendo consumers will experience game droughts. 

Iwata touched on acquisitions and mergers and I think this is something Nintendo needs to consider, even that or they ought to open up more studios because it takes them years to get their games out onto the system. 

They also need to bring out all of their IP's onto their consoles. The Wii U could really benefit from a Metroid game, an Fzero game and a Star Fox game. These franchises are some of the finest franchises in the games industry and Nintendo seem to be putting these on the back burner while they focus on their party games like Mario Party and Wii Party U and Wii Fit U. 

If they had the right infrastructure in place they could get all these games out onto their systems which will help boost sales which is what the Wii U needs more than anything. 

Edited by SailtheSeas, 12 February 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#26 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

Nintendo's problem seems to an inability to support two devices. They simply haven't got the infrastructure to support their handheld devices and their home console devices and this coupled with a lack of third party support means Nintendo consumers will experience game droughts. 

Iwata touched on acquisitions and mergers and I think this is something Nintendo needs to consider, even that or they ought to open up more studios because it takes them years to get their games out onto the system. 

They also need to bring out all of their IP's onto their consoles. The Wii U could really benefit from a Metroid game, an Fzero game and a Star Fox game. These franchises are some of the finest franchises in the games industry and Nintendo seem to be putting these on the back burner while they focus on their party games like Mario Party and Wii Party U and Wii Fit U. 

If they had the right infrastructure in place they could get all these games out onto their systems which will help boost sales which is what the Wii U needs more than anything. 

Well yes Nintendo has MANY problems. Yes they got all that money and seem afraid to spend any of it. Shin'en should be an exclusive Nintendo dev by now. Shin'en recently made statements their next gen engine will support multiple platform (basically ps4 and xb1) I don't see them making exclusive Nintendo games too much longer and wouldn't surprise me if Sony threw a bunch of cash at them to make them Sony devs. Atlus went on sale and Nintendo was no where to be found. It's sad. THQ even they could have at least entertained by an IP or dev studio. When it's all said and done I don't trust Iwata words. They need to put faith in their console buyers and show some initiative and not just talk about what they want to do. 

#27 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Nintendo need to get rid of Iwata and the sooner they remove him from the CEO position the better Nintendo will be for doing so. 

#28 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

Well yes Nintendo has MANY problems. Yes they got all that money and seem afraid to spend any of it. Shin'en should be an exclusive Nintendo dev by now. Shin'en recently made statements their next gen engine will support multiple platform (basically ps4 and xb1) I don't see them making exclusive Nintendo games too much longer and wouldn't surprise me if Sony threw a bunch of cash at them to make them Sony devs. Atlus went on sale and Nintendo was no where to be found. It's sad. THQ even they could have at least entertained by an IP or dev studio. When it's all said and done I don't trust Iwata words. They need to put faith in their console buyers and show some initiative and not just talk about what they want to do.

Shin en has ALWAYS supported multiple platforms. They just dont do it under the name shin en, that name is reserved exclusively for Nintendo systems. And Shin en was talking about 3ds. That was the other platform. 3ds and wii u.

Wild hysteria is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we need right now to adress this situation.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#29 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

Shin en has ALWAYS supported multiple platforms. They just dont do it under the name shin en, that name is reserved exclusively for Nintendo systems. And Shin en was talking about 3ds. That was the other platform. 3ds and wii u.

Wild hysteria is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we need right now to adress this situation.

You're right Nintendo need to get games out onto the Wii U that will boost sales. I was over on Wii U daily and read last weeks sales figures in Japan and the Wii U was outsold by the PS3 and the PS Vita. 

Not even the Japanese market want the Wii U in large enough numbers. 

#30 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Here are the quotes from the interview.

NL: Are your current development projects all focused on Nintendo hardware, or are you actively looking at other platforms with your new engine?

ML: We have always looked into other platforms in our past. With our new tech we can now easily support also other platforms. So we are actively thinking about that topic.

The specifically asked "NINTENDO PLATFORMS". They mentioned 3ds by name numerous other times in the interview. They weren't just talking about 3ds. 

#31 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

As a whole I don't like Mario - Mario 64, Galaxy and the new 3D World are the only ones I actually enjoyed.

That's funny, those are the only Mario games I like too (all right, the three SMB:s on NES are also good), but my conclusion is the opposite: As a whole, I like Mario.

#32 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

NL: This is another title that targets Nintendo hardware. With its various control schemes and its means of utilising the hardware, will this game be a Wii U exclusive?

ML: Currently AoB is only planned for Wii U but in 2013 we developed our new 'Next Gen' engine and now could also support other platforms more easily.

#33 cadrethree

cadrethree

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

I wouldn't call it wild hysteria to say that Nintendo and the type of games they make aren't very popular anymore.  A total implosion or explosion of Nintendo and it's standard operating procedures shouldn't be looked at as a horrible thing, but something that can sow the seeds of something new and great to grow out of Nintendo in the future.  The current management needs to let it happen though, and not smother it before it can grow.  IMHO  To force the market to only play your style of games and not evolve is total suicide and self-inflicted.  I think one way or another by the end of this generation Nintendo will be a leader of the future gaming industry or washing out of the industry, which I hope Iwata is then promptly fired for.  Japanese electronic companies are so firm and unchanging, which is why they lost their leadership position from the 80's and most are dead or close to death.  Hope Nintendo is added to that list because it's stubborn.  

#34 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

I disagree I think Nintendo games are still very much popular just take a look at the sales figures for further evidence. 

The problem with Nintendo in the home console market has never been their software, their software is some of the best in the market. 

The problem with Nintendo is their hardware. When they released the N64 they still used the ROM cartridge when the Saturn and the PS1 which came out a year or so before were using optical discs. They then released the Gamecube which had the mini-disc, I mean WTF? 

They struck gold with the Wii because it enabled the casual gamer to have an entry level to a new form of entertainment. Why watch Saturday night TV when you and your family members can race against each other on Wii Fit or Mario Kart Wii? 

However Nintendo thought that lightning would strike twice with the Wii U and have been largely surprised by the fact it hasn't sold such is the incompetence and complacency of the Nintendo hierarchy, not even a 3D Mario game has saved the Wii U. 

People just don't want Nintendo's hardware, they want Nintendo's software but are not prepared to buy Nintendo home console hardware to play those great first party games on. 

#35 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

-snip-

People just don't want Nintendo's hardware, they want Nintendo's software but are not prepared to buy Nintendo home console hardware to play those great first party games on. 

The problem is that the overall cumulative effect of Nintendo's software is not really as enticing as it seems to Joe Schmoe. In other words, You have situations where someone likes Mario, but they do not care for Zelda. 

A large variety is required, as the people playing Mario will buy similar games, like Rayman Legends, yet these people will not give Assault Android Cactus a chance. The FPS crowd is like this. They may like Zelda, but they do not like it enough to buy a Zelda machine. 

People like us are really a smaller segment of the market than those that will buy one system for a few years because it offers variety in their genre of choice. 

#36 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

The problem is that the overall cumulative effect of Nintendo's software is not really as enticing as it seems to Joe Schmoe. In other words, You have situations where someone likes Mario, but they do not care for Zelda. 

A large variety is required, as the people playing Mario will buy similar games, like Rayman Legends, yet these people will not give Assault Android Cactus a chance. The FPS crowd is like this. They may like Zelda, but they do not like it enough to buy a Zelda machine. 

People like us are really a smaller segment of the market than those that will buy one system for a few years because it offers variety in their genre of choice. 

Nintendo's problem is that they have a lot more franchises but aren't prepared to use them. Iwata has said Nintendo's target market is children and families i.e. casual gamers, therefore games like Star Fox, Fzero and Metroid are probably not really on their radar when these games along with games like Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart will help shift units. 

Furthermore Nintendo needs to get to grips with the fact that third party developers and publishers want nothing to do with Nintendo and who can blame them when Nintendo seems to isolate themselves from the rest of the industry. Microsoft and Sony turn up to E3, Nintendo? Nah they'll deliver a pre-recorded Nintendo Direct rather then turn up in person to the largest show in the games industry calendar. 

#37 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

-snip-

Nintendo talks to the consumer directly. No fancy show that only press attends, just a simple this is us and this is what we have to offer. The consumer immediately knows what's up, no show with a popular youtuber, no game glitches. An seamless presentation, like it should be. Microsoft and Sony show up cause they know they need the exposure, the fame, the press and all that allure.

Edited by Akazury, 12 February 2014 - 12:22 PM.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#38 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Nintendo talks to the consumer directly. No fancy show that only press attends, just a simple this is us and this is what we have to offer. The consumer immediately knows what's up, no show with a popular youtuber, no game glitches. An seamless presentation, like it should be. Microsoft and Sony show up cause they know they need the exposure, the fame, the press and all that allure.

I like Nintendo's Direct feature, I think it's great, but Nintendo not showing up at events like E3 just further isolates them in an industry where cooperation is a key to success.

Nintendo isolation is hurting it on the software front which is harming the sales of its consoles. Fortunately the fortunes of the 3DS have changed and Pokemon X and Y has been a stroke of genius, but there's plenty of work that needs doing to help the Wii U because it's struggling. 

#39 cadrethree

cadrethree

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

For me personally, I really only enjoy their portable systems.  It has JRPG's and some sports games I enjoy, but I still buy Sony's stuff to have modern games or sports titles on the go.  I think most people are like me but may like more western RPG's than I do.  When you get to the console games they truly are missing the western style games, sport titles, which are king in the western world.  I personally can't play 3rd person shooters, but most of world only plays these type of games.  How can anyone justify having only having Nintendo system which lacks modern games and genres.  So if the western studio's are going to shun you like a leper you either have to produce it like Sony (Better software house than Nintendo?) does or buy it like Microsoft does.  Nintendo only makes money creating software for their hardware, so bulk up and produce the software people demand.  They are stubborn or over-thinking it.  

#40 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

I have to admit that I regret buying the Wii U and would have better served buying the 3DS XL in July 2013. I waited until December to get a 3DS XL and boy I'm delighted with the purchase, it is a great portable device, a wonderful little console and I'm looking forward to buying and playing Bravely Default and A link between Worlds on it when I get paid at the end of the month. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!