GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

I never liked sonic... never understood the draw to him or the games. Sonic Boom will be the first sonic game on a home console (got generations for my son 3ds) that i purchase. What Sega are trying to do is connect with the western audience. I feel Nintendo needs to do this with one of their IP's (Starfox, Zelda, new ip, shooter). I dont think you do this trying to hit a home run (10 million in sales out the gate). You do it to show you can step out your box and do something that you dont usually do. Sega got a VERY experienced Dev team to make it, got it running on one of the best engines for pushing tech, and I praise them for that. This is what people have been asking Nintendo to "try" for years. Give us something new. Who in here would not play a starfox, metroid, or new exclusive shooter on Wii U built on cryengine, made by an "experienced western dev? It would just be to have something new. Another thing is Sega has their main sonic team in tack working on a mainline sonic game this game is like a spin-off of sorts and I think its pretty cool what they are doing. DAY 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:04 AM

POPULAR

Sonic Boom will be the first sonic game on a home console that i purchase.

And that right there is more ****ed up than all the content in Zinix topics combined.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 10 February 2014 - 04:04 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

You're laying praise to a game based on the trailer you have seen and the fact it uses the crytek engine.

I'll hold off praise for Sega and their use of the crytek engine until after I have played a demo or had hands on experience with the game itself.

I still maintain that Nintendo should have Platinum Games make a Star fox game for the Wii U.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

#YearOfTheScarf

Nintendo already listened to us.
http://media-cache-a...56b2ab1a50e.jpg

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

Considering the terrible track record SEGA have with Sonic I would definitely not praise them for this game until actually playing it.

Sonic Lost World sounded like a decent game, on paper, but it played dreadful IMO.  It was a Sonic game trying to be Mario, not what a Sonic fan wants at all.  As a whole I don't like Mario - Mario 64, Galaxy and the new 3D World are the only ones I actually enjoyed.

Give me Sonic Adventure 3 already, SA1 & 2 had their flaws but they were much more fun games than anything they have done since - except perhaps Generations which wasn't too bad.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 10 February 2014 - 06:41 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#6 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

First off I don't know if the new Sonic will be good but I can appreciate Sega taking chances to appeal to the western audiences. So in other words I completely agree with you.

I feel certain Nintendo titles should get revamped this way but being overlooked by Nintendo themselves. Since I feel Nintendo usually does what it does great but it can get stale from time to time and one must let others have a go.

#7 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

So Nintendo need to copy SEGA in making a beloved character with a strong fanbase look strange so it can 'appeal to the Western gamers'?

CryEngine 3 does not mean good game, anyone can use the engine if they get the rights. 

I never liked sonic... never understood the draw to him or the games. Sonic Boom will be the first sonic game on a home console (got generations for my son 3ds) that i purchase. What Sega are trying to do is connect with the western audience. I feel Nintendo needs to do this with one of their IP's (Starfox, Zelda, new ip, shooter). I dont think you do this trying to hit a home run (10 million in sales out the gate). You do it to show you can step out your box and do something that you dont usually do. Sega got a VERY experienced Dev team to make it, got it running on one of the best engines for pushing tech, and I praise them for that. This is what people have been asking Nintendo to "try" for years. Give us something new. Who in here would not play a starfox, metroid, or new exclusive shooter on Wii U built on cryengine, made by an "experienced western dev? It would just be to have something new. Another thing is Sega has their main sonic team in tack working on a mainline sonic game this game is like a spin-off of sorts and I think its pretty cool what they are doing. DAY 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone on this forum would play a new Starfox, Metroid or exclusive shooter on Wii U - this is a forum dedicated to the Wii U. Sure, Nintendo could open up to other studios (which they have always done to some extent anyway), but really, the Western gaming world works on one word: 'cool'.

Nintendo does not have a game that would be labelled as 'cool' to non-fans anymore: the closest we've got is Zelda and to a very much lesser extent, Metroid. What's deemed cool these days is Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty and FIFA: Nintendo gets one of the three and no one cares. What Nintendo need to then perhaps does lie in your argument, a new game catered to the boring tastes of the West - it could be made in-house or by an outside studio (that really doesn't matter).

It's just a bit silly that you're basing this on Sonic Boom, which hasn't come out yet - no one knows how well the game will perform, it could sell little to nothing or perform quite well, my guess is around the same as Sonic Lost World - which is fine.

Bring the noise.

#8 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

I don't see what you see in this game that isn't already in the others besides the fact that Kunckles is not on steroids.

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Sonic Colors great game. Sonic Generations great game. Sonic Lost World the best 3D sonic ever made. Serious here. It is just a Genesis game in 3D like if you flipped it like how Super Paper Mario did. I say that as the level design has branching paths. For the first time in a Sonic 3D game SEGA did not push the ludacris speed button. They went back to running but getting over obstacle with platforming but doing that well and you are rewarded with speed. So keeping up your momentum and the game gets better. Exactly how Sonic 1-3 were designed. Sonic is back but many people still like to Daisy  because they are fools. If Sonic Boom turns out well it will not be the first good Sonic game in a while esp since technically it's a Ratchet & Clank game re skinned. People need to get off the hate train. I gave up on Sonic after Heroes and a friend had to seriously convince me to buy Colors. been back since and been a fan of the series since 1996.

#10 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

Coming from someone who hasn't played a Sonic game. I'll say that Sonic Boom looks cool and better then Lost World imo, but I kinda get a cheesy licensed game feel from it. Will probably be the first Sonic game I buy though. I still like the way it looks.

2lvmghw.png

#11 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Coming from someone who hasn't played a Sonic game. I'll say that Sonic Boom looks cool and better then Lost World imo, but I kinda get a cheesy licensed game feel from it. Will probably be the first Sonic game I buy though. I still like the way it looks.

Sonic's been good since Colours, I suggest you play Colours, Generations and Lost World. Each one is a good game.

I think Boom looks odd, and too different from the Sonic I know. I am open to it though, just as I am every Sonic game.

Bring the noise.

#12 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

RESISTENCE.... I expected this much so cool let's talk. First I did not say this game was guaranteed to be a lock on GOTY. What makes this game exciting is the new take on something old. It funny how much was ignored from the original post. They did not get some brand new developers who don't know much about the genere. The developers one worked on the canceled sonic color and the other on Jak and dexter and uncharted. These guy know 3d platforming and brining quality titles to the table. The most exciting thing about this game is POTENTIAL. I think if you have success sometimes you can get used to just rinse, wash, repeat. This show Sega is not afraid to mix it up and try something new... not just from their own prospective but allowing someone new to come in and give it a shot someone with "experience". Look guys it really isn't looking good for WiiU I mean mK8 should ship some consoles but the WiiU is what it is a great system that is not going to sell well. I think now would be a perfect time for Nintendo to take some chances and change the direction of their company, their software lineup, and the perception people have about them. 

Edited by GAMER1984, 10 February 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#13 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

RESISTENCE.... I expected this much so cool let's talk. First I did not say this game was guaranteed to be a lock on GOTY. What makes this game exciting is the new take on something old. It funny how much was ignored from the original post. They did not get some brand new developers who don't know much about the genere. The developers one worked on the canceled sonic color and the other on Jak and dexter and uncharted. These guy know 3d platforming and brining quality titles to the table. The most exciting thing about this game is POTENTIAL. I think if you have success sometimes you can get used to just rinse, wash, repeat. This show Sega is not afraid to mix it up and try something new... not just from their own prospective but allowing someone new to come in and give it a shot someone with "experience". Look guys it really isn't looking good for WiiU I mean mK8 should ship some consoles but the WiiU is what it is a great system that is not going to sell well. I think now would be a perfect time for Nintendo to take some chances and change the direction of their company, their software lineup, and the perception people have about them. 

I just had a thought. If SEGA's new approach to Sonic is so good, maybe it will shift Wii Us anyway.

Joking aside, there is Hyrule Warriors. If that's not branching out I don't know what is. Another Nintendo owned game is LEGO City Undercover. I don't want Nintendo to change their software lineup, that's why I own a Wii U and 3DS. Adding to it would be alright though.

Bring the noise.

#14 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

I will have to say that I agree in one aspect-attempting to connect to western audiences. I feel like this should be through software, hardware, and through value-added mechanisms (unified accounts, online ecosystems, etc.). 

It looks like Nintendo designs a system for Japan, and only then tries to bring it overseas. So, from a top down level, I completely agree. 

From a software standpoint, allow us to look at the Prime series, and how Metroid was handled well, and how it fell apart when it attempted to reach a western audience (Other M). 

Metroid Prime was a work of art, and I strongly believe, had the ability to use online multiplayer been implemented, it could have done better (I do not want this, but some do, and this would have been the game to do it with-imagine space pirates vs bounty hunters). 

Other M was a movie, with Samus as a weaker protagonist. Oh, and and those darn pixel hunts. By 'movie', of course I mean, the addition of voice acting made the product come off as something more aimed at a western audience. 

So, I wish Nintendo could fix the bigger picture, and make games with the ELEMENTS that western gamers find attractive without losing the things that make Nintendo unique. 

#15 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

I just had a thought. If SEGA's new approach to Sonic is so good, maybe it will shift Wii Us anyway.

Joking aside, there is Hyrule Warriors. If that's not branching out I don't know what is. Another Nintendo owned game is LEGO City Undercover. I don't want Nintendo to change their software lineup, that's why I own a Wii U and 3DS. Adding to it would be alright though.

Hyrule warrior is a japanese title all the way. They take care of their own but forget the west. I guess Bayo2 is suppose to fill that void but when is the last time we heard anything on that? That secretive stuff has to stop. We need more than Nintendo direct for information on new games.  

#16 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

So just because this game is using the crytek engine and it's made by "western developers" you are hailing it was a break through? Let's wait until we all play the game to figure that out.

#17 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hyrule warrior is a japanese title all the way. They take care of their own but forget the west. I guess Bayo2 is suppose to fill that void but when is the last time we heard anything on that? That secretive stuff has to stop. We need more than Nintendo direct for information on new games.

Got news for you, Bayo 2 is also japanese, and Starfox was born Western, from a studio called argonauts in England.

You are way, way WAYYYYY to focused on where a game comes from instead of what the game actually is.

99% of Western games are worthless garbage. Less than worthless garbage, most of them are barely more than scams. What the hell is so great about the crappy western games plauging sony and ms systems? The barely interactive, copy and pasted game design from a decade ago, dumbed down and computer assisted to the point I could play them by slapping my genitals across the controller? WHy the hell would I want some crap stained fps I can get a dime a dozen on ps360, when Nintendo can give a Retro first person adventure masterpeice, that cant be found ANYWHERE ELSE?

And no, I would absolutely positively never NEVER NEEEEEEVVVVVEEEEEERRRR play a first party Nintendo game, on a Nintendo system USING A MIDDLEWARE ENGINE. That is the most disgusting backwards thing I have ever heard.

The problem is not that Nintendo is not making star fox's, or metroids, or f zero or whatever with a western studio. The problem is THEY ARENT MAKING STAR FOX OR FZERO OR METROID, AT ALL.

And what little amazing things they are making, that people DID respond too, they've let fall off the face of the earth.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#18 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

So, as I was saying, Level 5, Golden Sun, you do the maths.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#19 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Got news for you, Bayo 2 is also japanese, and Starfox was born Western, from a studio called argonauts in England.You are way, way WAYYYYY to focused on where a game comes from instead of what the game actually is.99% of Western games are worthless garbage. Less than worthless garbage, most of them are barely more than scams. What the hell is so great about the crappy western games plauging sony and ms systems? The barely interactive, copy and pasted game design from a decade ago, dumbed down and computer assisted to the point I could play them by slapping my genitals across the controller? WHy the hell would I want some crap stained fps I can get a dime a dozen on ps360, when Nintendo can give a Retro first person adventure masterpeice, that cant be found ANYWHERE ELSE?And no, I would absolutely positively never NEVER NEEEEEEVVVVVEEEEEERRRR play a first party Nintendo game, on a Nintendo system USING A MIDDLEWARE ENGINE. That is the most disgusting backwards thing I have ever heard.The problem is not that Nintendo is not making star fox's, or metroids, or f zero or whatever with a western studio. The problem is THEY ARENT MAKING STAR FOX OR FZERO OR METROID, AT ALL.And what little amazing things they are making, that people DID respond too, they've let fall off the face of the earth.

Iwata came out and said the need to focus on western gamers. Nintendo has a lot of work to do. The perception of their company and where they stand in this industry is negative. We will see but now is a good chance to step out of their bubble and do some new things.

#20 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Iwata came out and said the need to focus on western gamers. Nintendo has a lot of work to do. The perception of their company and where they stand in this industry is negative. We will see but now is a good chance to step out of their bubble and do some new things.

What does that have to do with turning their prized franchises into mainstream western made slop? Thats not even close to new. All thats doing is bringing the garbage i go to wii u to get away from, to wii u.

Nintendo has PLENTY of ip's, and the ability to make ip's that appeal to the west, or to anyone who enjoys great REAL games.

The problem isnt Nintendo doesnt HAVE anything, or the capability to do these games, and thus needs to resort to outsourcing to western studios for generic factory made slop with nintendo character paint.

The problem is they have these things and are actively REFUSING to do or show these things on the wii u.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!