• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

I am not a guy who chooses favorites loosely. Why I can never make top 5 or 10 or top lists.

usually just a couple and everything else just falls into I love or like that.

Only 2 games I can easily say are my fave games of all time.

#1 Ys Chronicles I & II on PSP

This game is about as old as the Zelda series and had more remakes and ports than Tetris maybe but it's a bit obscure so many would never know. Imagine taking some of the older Zelda formula and speeding it way the frick up then add Yuzo Koshiro composed score rocking out. You Get Adol Christian the red haired Swordsman who travels the world and saves the day. He does not talk much. usually his companion Dogi does that. Adol maybe as good of a guy as they get but does not stop him from being a total stoic badass. He has slayed many monsters and even gods and top it off. He always throws his god slaying quipment he got on that adventure away and goes back to his beat up armor and sword.  If you played Ys Seven then you would see all the physical punishment his body has taken. Great series but the first is my fave and PSP to me is the best version. Also on Steam or PSN.

#2 Shenmue on Dreamcast

yes yes looking for sailors heard it many times. Yes awkward Voice acting.

Shenmue for the longest time was the most expensive game ever made. Many claims to the budget but the highest claimed was $70 Million. Now GTA blew that out but this game was nearly a Saturn game and also began as a Spinoff to Virtua Fighter and Akira was going to be the main character. Was later made into it's own game with much fan service to VF fans and SEGA fans.

What this game really did is set many standards for future games. Before GTAIII we had Shenmue to explore a city and go in shops. Even get a job. Unlike many games even today it was the first game where EVERY character had spoken lines and many different lines depending on the situation or time of day. Mass Effect kinda built off Shenmue in conversations. Shenmue also was the first real game to sync lips with spoken words instead of an animation. Also introduced something we take for granted now. Magic Weather. That means weather can change at any point. it's random. Every character NPC or main had a blood type a biography and a name and a place they went home and a daily routine.

Shenmue was so damn detailed and felt like a living breathing town. To this day people play it and find something new. I could go on forever but it's really immersive  experience.

What is your fave ever games?

#2 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is still my all time favorite. I remember playing it as a kid and just being in awe.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are also my favorites. I must have put in 2000+ hours on these games combined. I was playing these during a difficult part of my life so they hold a special place in my heart.

Red Dead Redemption was also another one that stuck with me all these years. I remember just walking around the world on horseback and admiring the sights. Reminded me of how I felt with Ocarina of Time when I was younger.

Games are awesome.

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

1. Nier

Stylistic, weird, and fun. While a LOT of people hated this one, something about it really clicked with me, and I loved it with my first button press. It's got a lot of interesting mechanics, blending a couple of genres, hack and slash RPG and top down shooter into one surprisingly well packaged title. It's also got a complete insane story that I really loved.

2. Majora's Mask

Once again, weird, and great. Probably the most controversial Zelda game to have been released (except Skyward Sword). I love it because it takes what makes Zelda great (awesome dungeons and level design) and ties that together with a great story that's told for the most part through gameplay.

3. J-Rock Artist gackt

4. Metal Gear Rising

I actually just played this yesterday, but gosh dang, I've never had more fun with a hack and slash. It's not exactly friendly towards anyone who's never played a hack and slash, but its got a lot of depth, and once you get it, it's fantastic.

Honorable Mentions

Last of Us

Shadow of the Colossus

J-Rock Artist gackt

Tales of the Abyss

Earthbound

Edited by Mignaga, 06 April 2014 - 12:04 AM.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

Guild Wars Factions

Super Ghouls n Ghosts

The Wonderful 101

Red Orchestra 2

Kirby 64

WoW

Space Engine (lol...game...)

Basically every Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Mario Kart

Luigi's Mansion

Socom 2 and Socom Confrontation

SSBM

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#5 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

The Legend of Zelda OOT - perfection till this day.

Mass Effect 1-3 - I count it as one whole game and it garners everything I liked from Star Trek/Star Wars/Action films and meshes into one.

Resident Evil 4 - perfection, one that made me realize that games can make gameplay and cinematic sequences into one.

Half Life 2 - A true shooter that made its world worth fighting and characters worth listening too.

God Of War 1-3 - Great levels, gameplay, visuals, and story/cinematic.

Mortal Kombat 9 - made my 90s days come back with a vengeance. Everything I wanted from a fighter and then some.

There's way more but these are my current favs.

#6 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:34 AM

Ryudo, there are rumours going round that Microsoft's Japanese exclusive will be Shenmue but I'm not so sure.

Pikmin 1-3

Luigi's Mansion

Mario 64

Mario 3d World

Halo 1

All Metroid games

MGS

Monster Hunter 3U

Most Mario Kart's

Uncharted 2

Paper Mario

Ni No Kuni

+ more i can't think of right now!

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 06 April 2014 - 02:06 PM.

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

Nah it's not a rumor. Just Spencer said it was one of the most requested games. Thing is Shenmue fans go nuts anytime the game is mentioned and blow things way way way way out of proportion. Yu has long left SEGA. SEGA does not care about the IP. Series is flat dead. Also not even sure it did great in Japan either. Just a cult series a bit to ambitious. I made my peace long ago after many many many false hopes that it's not going to happen. Never takes away from the first game for me as I play it mainly for the amazing atmosphere. If there was any place in Video Games I wish I could live..it's Yamanose.

#8 DANT3

DANT3

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

...Eugh, I always hate doing this to myself. I have a list up on my profile that's tried to squash a little bit of everything into one top 10, but the problem is that I have very different 'styles' of favourites. I'll try to explain what I mean:

"Design."

These are the sort of games that I deem my favourite on account of how every aspect of them comes together to form the finished product. Things like art direction and style, music, the world itself, the plot and characters, tropes and devices used within it and how mechanics aid all these other aspects are what put a game into this category of favourites. Typically speaking, this is for truly epic games like RPGs, and quite a few that seem to fall under the vague branch of Action/Adventure. A few good examples are things like Shadow of the Colossus, Majora's Mask, Asura's Wrath and Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3/4.

"Technical."

These are the games that deserve to be measured strictly through design of the game part of the game. This is all about mechanics, control and feedback, with things like depth also affecting what I think of the game in this regard. With this in mind, you're looking mostly towards fighting games, hack 'n' slashes and platformers. Some respective examples would include the insanely technical and detailed Guilty Gear, the deceptively streamlined and 'simple' Devil May Cry series and the almost twitch-perfect design of the earlier Sonic and Mega Man games.

"Fun."

This is Smash Bros.. Like, really, that's all this is. Smash is so fun that it deserves its own block. I suppose it's worth mentioning that it's also a pretty good blend of the two styles listed above, which is probably what makes it fun. Fun fun fun.

#9 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

I can't really list them but my number 1 favorite is Paper Mario:The Thousand Year Door.

Aside from that in no particular order.

Dark Souls/Dark Souls II

Majora's Mask

Dragon's Dogma

Wind Waker

Monter Hunter Tri

Sonic Adventure(Both)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

In no order:

Ultima 3
Chrono Trigger
FF6
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Monster hunters
Metroids
Zeldas (except oot/tp)
Xenoblade
Xenogears
Golden Sun 1&2
Dragons Dogma
Okami
Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Silent hill 2 & Shattered memories
Excite truck
System shock 1&2
Psychonauts
Call of Cthulhu dark corners of the Earth.
elder scrolls 2 Daggerfall (Amazing when it came out. Being that the only things that have changed are the games have gotten smaller and prettier, while keeping the now horribly outdated combat system from the 90's...the rest of es has long since fell off for me)
Valkyrie profile & Covenent of the plume.
Half life 1
Dark Clouds
The Wonderful 101
Alundra

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:28 AM

lets see...
professor layton and the unwound future (dem feels man ;-; )
Jet set radio (Fantastic soundtrack by the great Hideki Naganuma)
persona 4 golden
uncharted 2
w101(I JUST CANT...THIS GAME...GODLY)
xenoblade
D2 (dis game dis frickin game)
resident evil 3 nemisis
resident evil remake
eternal darkness
vanquish
silent hill 2
pikmin 2 and 3
ocarina of time ( played this game like 10 times)

Edited by meitantei_conan, 06 April 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#12 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

I have two favourites...

Super Mario Galaxy (in my opinion, the closest Nintendo ever got to making the best mario game ever)

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (not a perfect game by any means, but it being my first zelda game makes me biased over it)

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#13 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Overall Top Ten:

1. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - If I started talking about it I'd never shut up, so I'm just gonna leave it.
  2. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Absolutely loved the controls.  Liked upgrading my gear.
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles - Just plain great all around. 
  4. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Liked everything about it.  Keep coming back to it.
  5. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - Just great in general and perfects the series formula
  6. F-ZERO GX - Best racer there is in my opinion. Another game I just keep coming back to because the gameplay is just awesome
  7. Custom Robo - Loved all the customizability and gameplay.
  8. Kid Icarus Uprising - Loved the gameplay.
  9. Bravely Default - Great RPG all around
  10. Metroid Prime - Great gameplay.  Particularly on the wii re-release

Mainly based on a criteria of enjoyment/hour vs how many hours, and do I keep coming back to it.  Also made a point not to include more than 1 game per series, or there would be a lot more zelda and fire emblem.

Edited by Lightning_Ninja, 06 April 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

In no particular order; Windwaker HD, Link Between Worlds, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Double Dash, Portal, Portal 2, Thousand Year Door, Paper Mario n64, and Lego City: Undercover.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#15 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Anyone care to go into why these games are your faves? Long lists are to be frank boring.

#16 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Let me do my top 13 favourites with a rational for each favourite. Why 13? Because it's my favourite number and it's able to succintly describe all my favourite games. This list has been relatively stable in terms of games, but where they are shifts frequently.

1. Radiant Historia OH THIS GAME. THIS GAME. To this day, it is the game that I will always cherish as part of my collection. It's not the best game in the world compared to others, but what made this game stand out to me was when I got it. I was going through a rough time in my life after moving and was still clinging onto my friends in the other place, wishing I was with them. This game helped me in a way to get over it. The Combat system is dynamic, the story is incredibly well written for the type of game it is, the music is legend tier, and the game was able to hook me from the opening, something only Xenoblade, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Knights of the Old Republic, and Metroid Prime were able to do. As such, this is always in the number one spot for me and is always the first game I think of when mentioning my favourite games.
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles is one of those games for me that was just an incredible experience. The game starts off on a high explosive moment with one of the most awesome opening 10 minutes of any game I've played. The game's open world drew me in so much, and while it had some flaws, the whole experience was just a solid 10/10 for me.
  3. Okami is one of those games that I just adore for reasons that most people seem to shun it. The game kind of plays like Zelda, but in my opinion is better then Zelda in several areas and shows the way that the Zelda Franchise should have been progressing post WW(though aLBW is a welcome improvement). The art style is so good, the music is phenomenal, and it gave me perhaps some of my favourite characters in any game(looking at you Susano).
  4. Wonderful 101 is not the kind of game you'd peg me for. Considering that I'm not exactly a fan of stuff like Power Rangers, you'd think I'd hate this game. But what really makes me love the game is that it's so...vibrant. In a world where games are getting increasingly Monotone, W101's Art style and sense of humor are a refreshing breath. Then again, should have expected no less from Platinum.
  5. Pokemon X I've always been a big fan of Pokemon, and when I first beat X I felt like it was a dissapointment compared to the previous generation. However, after getting more into the post game and thinking about the actual story, I've grown to regard it as the best Pokemon Game to date, with a return to basics. While I do hold Black in a very, very close position to my heart, I'd have to say I just like X more now.
  6. Kid Icarus: Uprising is a game I got hyped up for the moment I saw the first trailer for it. The game is just that pure, unfiltered Cartoon artform in a game. It doesn't take itself seriously at most moments, can go from incredibly funny and lighthearted to depressing in a moment, offers up the right level of difficulty with the Fiend's Cauldron, and just feels like a game that should be more popular but it isn't.
  7. Epic Mickey Oh boy. Here's the hard one to explain. While the other ones here on the list have some redeeming merits in the eyes of most, Epic Mickey is really, really hit or miss. In case you couldn't tell, it was a big hit for me. Sure, some things were annoying(See the Camera/moral choices), but the game had that undeniable disney magic to it for me. It was crafted with a love of Disney by all it's staff member and it shows throughout every moment.
  8. Okamiden while not as good as the first game, isn't trying to be the first game. While the first game focused more upon Amaterasu being a full on BAMF, Okamiden instead opted to focus on the relationship between two friends, and it's just so endearing to me personally. It's not on the same scale as Okami, but it's still an amazing game. 
  9. Knights of the Old Republic Oh KOTOR, how amazing you were. This was the game that made me a mega fan of Star Wars. It was easily the best Star Wars game I've ever played, and everything just flowed together so nicely. The combat was one of my first experiences with it and I'll never forget my memories of mining Darth Malgus to death as I had been left to 1 HP. The story was easily top notch for Star Wars, with that Twist striking home so hard.
  10. Final Fantasy VI This game is my favourite Final Fantasy. It's a darker game then the previous ones, but the unique Steampunk tone(at the time), combined with the story and the big plot twist serve as some of my favorite moments in a final Fantasy game.
  11. Metroid Prime Retro Gambled on Metroid Prime, and by doing so created my favourite game in the Metroid series. The gameplay is fun, the music is great, the way that the game unfolds is just art for me. Nothing else to really say.
  12. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan I've always been a fan of EO, but I really think that IV is where the series hits it's mark. The gameplay is amazing when you get the right team set up(LINKS AHOY), the music like always is king, the graphics managed to keep that distinct art style from the DS games, having your own balloon opened up exploration for me a lot more personally, and the story while nothing to write home about serviced the game perfectly well.
  13. Mother 3 Oh this game. For those that haven't played, FIX THIS :P In all seriousness, Mother 3 is a game that I resent hasn't been brought over to NA despite it's circumstances. The game is perhaps the most emotional of the games and it just really captures the theme that the game is going for, which I love conceptually.

WOW THAT WAS LONG

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#17 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

Since I'm making a top 5 of this...

1. Final Fantasy IX

2. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)

3. Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots

4. The World Ends With You

5. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#18 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Way too many to name but a few of my all times favorites would be:

Ocarina of Time

Final Fantasy X

Devil May Cry

Resident Evil 4

Megaman X

Kingdom Hearts

Metroid Prime

Resident Evil Remake

Final Fantasy VIII

Wind Waker

A Link to the Past

pNgecl.gif

#19 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

Wow I have played way too few games in my lifetime ;_;

I'll just say my number 1 is Smash Bros. Brawl. My brother and I have played that game non-stop for five years straight, and I would still be playing regularly if not for the fact my Wii is acting up.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Glad to see some Okami fans. Also TWEWY. Yes Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series bar none.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!