#1 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

I find it strange that anyone who does not conform to popular media or likes to have their own style, are called "Hipsters". Maybe they have their own style of clothing, or listen to some obscure bands, or have "weird" hobbies unheard of or uncommon. Someone that has a collection of nik-naks in his room.Furthermore, I find it disturbing that these "Hipsters" have such a negative image in our society today. Just think about it, has anyone been called a hipster in a good connotation? Hipsters when talked about come across as someone who does not like anything mainstream, and act like jerks because of it pointing out that everything is mainstream. First of all, I have never actually heard anyone who actually likes obscure things along with having their own style complain that the music someone listens to is "too mainstream". Urbandictionary.com describes hipsters as :

Such people are the true "cool cats" of the world. They're those "in the know", ahead of the norm.

To sum it up, the best description of a hipster is trend-setter or someone who likes to think cleverly.

Looking at it from this standpoint, famous inventors or developers could be considered hipsters. Examples? Bill Gates, Leonardo da Vinci, Steve Jobs, Myamoto.

Hipsters are not in any way a bad thing in our society, in fact through out our history hipsters is what changes our society for the better. Without Hipsters, I would say that our society and history would not be the same. So, I don't think that these people who like to have their own style and think cleverly are someone that is annoying, but I think we actually need these people in our society. Hipsters shape our society because of the fact that they do not conform to society or media.

Have I been called a hipster? Yea, plenty of times. It doesn't bother me, its just the image that the society has on them.
---
What are your opinions on Hipsters?

Edited by superdarkyoshi, 07 December 2011 - 04:31 PM.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Shabu is a hipster.
/threadlol

People dislike change. It's not hard to imagine that, if someone found out about the interests of another person, and that those interests don't agree with them, that they will place an image on them.

Essentially, we are all a bunch of hipsters.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 3DS Strider

3DS Strider

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    Retrogames,Tokusatsu,Transformers

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

While I don't think anyone who has different interests should have a label applied to them, I think anyone who puts themselves in a position of superiority because of their rare hobbies is a total [swear word].
Basically, anyone who believes in this trope (http://tvtropes.org/...tle6cd1cskka05i) is stupid.
Also on 3DS Forums and Racketboy. I am not an iodit.

#4 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

The difference between people who aren't mainstream and hipsters is an ironic difference. Hipsters label themselves, maybe not as hipsters, but this brings a sense of superiority. In a sense, hipsters are those who don't follow the mainstream and look down anyone who disagrees with them.

#5 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hipsters have to be disliked by general society. Otherwise, they would cease to be hipsters.

I think it's perfectly fine to have different tastes in things just as long as it's not something bad or just being done for the sake of being a hipster

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#6 Starrgrl24

Starrgrl24

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Kirby and myself

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

I made an argument about hipsters on my status before. lol Anyways, I really don't like the term hipster anymore. I actually believe in the contrary. Hipster itself is becoming mainstream. I listen to classical music, so does that make me hipster? I also wear clothes from the thrift store and I don't shop at those top brand cloth store like American Eagle and Pac-Sun. Am I hipster? I don't watch television so I don't know about popular shows like Jersey Shore or MTV stuff. Am I hipster?

Well...I'm not hipster. I am what you call a "geek." A hipster is just someone who wants to be cool without being called a geek. xD Well, that's just my stupid theory. Also, hipsters are associated with Indie Rock. Well...I do like rock, but I still find it rather hard to truly appreciate it because I prefer the emotional complexity of classical music.

I rather not consider a stereotype though. :P

Edited by starrgrl24, 07 December 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#7 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

I've never been called a hipster, so I can't say a lot...

To be honest, I think there's the good kind of hipsters (which most people don't know about) and then the stock-up/arrogant hipsters.

All humans always need something to like and dislike... including persons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Too mainstream, Everything is mainstream, No its not man, Tags, tags, Hipsters, Obscure music, click here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!