• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Nintendo really has no excuse for the Wii U not having Gamecube backwards compatiblity. Let me explain.

I have detailed here, how it is possible for Nintendo to have GC compatiblity, and Not add to system cost. It requires no more emulation that Nintendo has already programmed for Wii compatiblity.
Also, just because there would be physical compatiblity, that doesn't mean GC games would be off limits to the Virtual Console.

Wii Specs:

PowerPC CPU @ 729 MHZ
ATI GPU @ 243MHZ   

Memory

24MB Embedded into CPU   
3MB   Embedded into GPU   
64MB RAM usable by any component

Gamecube Specs:

PowerPC CPU @ 486MHZ
Exact Same ATI GPU @ 162MHZ

Memory

24MB Embedded into CPU
3MB imbedded into GPU
16MB to buffer DVD drive and for Audio Processor
The only remaining differences are I/O and of course the DVD drive itself.

As you can see the Wii and Gamecube are very much the same, save for some overclocking and a RAM upgrade.

Here's how the Wii gets compatiblity: (From what I can decipher) 48MB of RAM is disabled, and 16MB is used as a DVD buffer and reserved for audio. The processors are then clocked down from 1.5x speed to 1x and run at Gamecube spec.

Now if the Wii U can already run Wii games without issue, what is preventing Gamecube compatiblity?

You may say "What about the controller ports?". Well wouldn't it be simple for nintendo to sell a box that had four GC controller ports, and two memory card slots, and plugged into a USB socket?

Edited by Dant, 09 January 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#2 Tipzil

Tipzil

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Fandom:
    Link, Pokemon, Nintendo, Minecraft

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

well the Wii U controller does have GCN buttons...

or just sell 'em on the Wii U's VC
"I wombo, you wombo, he, she, me wombo, the study of womboligy, come on Spongebob, this is first grade!" ~ Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

"Nah Nah Nah Man, you see, mah name is An'twan!" ~ Josh, Drake & Josh

#3 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Good point, but the Wii U controller lacks the analog shoulder buttons.

#4 SparktehFox

SparktehFox

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Splatterhouse, Sonic

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

As it's been said on other mediums, it is not as simple to allow backwards compatibility as a simple line of code. There is a lot of work behind making a console backwards compatible and we're already getting full compatibility with Wii games, an entire generation. At least Nintendo allows a single previous gen's compatibility unlike Microsoft and Sony's PS3 who only allowed limited backwards compatibility and now gives none at all. It doesn't matter that it CAN be done, it's all of the extra work that makes it possible. People tend to forget that the Wii was an entire gen and we've already got that. It's not like it went from GCN to WiiU.
Posted Image

#5 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

You have to understand though. Nintendo has less of an excuse for not having Gamecube backwards compatiblity than say Microsoft has for not having good Xbox backwards compatiblity.

Where as the Xbox and Xbox 360 are vastly different archetectures and a lot of code must be ported simply for one game to function, the Wii ran GC games almost stock, and even the Wii U will be functionally simular in comparison.

Nintendo even has less of an excuse than Sony does. The PS3 still emulates the PS1 flawlessly regardless of what model it is. PS2 compatiblity was removed because of the fact they more or less had to shoe-in the components of a PS2 slim for it's compatiblity, meaning it added to production cost.

In this case, or at least comparitively, it is almost as easy as adding a few lines of code.

#6 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

what you are failing to realize is that it could be possible to release the gamecube games on the wii u shop ala xbox originals

then they dont have to worry about change their specs for a two generation old sytem and honestly can you blame them .

#7 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Nintendo did mention that being able to support Gamecube backward compatibilty on the Wii U will increase it's initial price.
Rumours are also floating around stating that Gamecube titles will be downloadable as Virtual Console games for the Wii U.

It'll be a good way for Nintendo is generate a little extra cash whilst we can play the games we missed out on during 6th gen.
(Personally I've missed out on quite a couple).

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

This is how I read it:
* Millions of gamers complain that Nintendo is stuck in the past *
* Millions of gamers complain that Wii U has no GC back play *
* Millions of gamers are two faced sons of [omitted text] *

/troll
It takes a lot more effort. Over in America, yes you would probably be able to walk into a gamestop or whatever it is over there and find Gamecube games for sale. Those titles have pretty much been ousted here in Australia, I've yet to see a Gamecube title in a store for over a year (the last time I saw one in store was in a Go-Lo of all places).

It's simple, why have backwards compatibility for a system that doesn't sell anymore? It just adds to the cost of the system, and doesn't turn in as much reward as the effort that went into implementing the system in the first place. Even if you did have games, they'd expect you to use your older system. I mean, where is the logical sense in buying games if you don't have a usable system in the first place.

Look, I'm not being anti-gamecube or anything, just saying, it's better... no, it ONLY works as a digital download for the Wii U.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

Good point, but the Wii U controller lacks the analog shoulder buttons.

Actually, it has the shoulder buttons that the gamecube had. Regardless of whether or they are analog.
Also, it makes no sense to include gamecube IMO. Nintendo phased out Gamecube support on the wii, so why would they put it back in the Wii U?

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#10 Two-Tailed Link!

Two-Tailed Link!

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic,Mario,Pokemon,Zelda,Kid Icarus

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

I never had a gamecube, so i would prefer them being Virtual Console.
KID ICARUS UPRISING FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

<p>The Wii emulates the Gamecube, where as the Wii U will emulate the Wii.  Emulation is a heavy process, even i7 computers can just about emulate.  =/

Before someone corrects me, the wii u can most likely do it :P

Edited by JoshZebra, 09 January 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#12 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

I don't see why it's a bad thing we won't have GC compatibility. Typically consoles only have backwards compatibility with the last gen, otherwise it'd just be throwing money away on a feature that's already available on two other consoles. Were people really expecting GC compatibility with Wii U? Besides, we'll probably get the games on the Virtual Console anyway.

Posted Image

#13 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

no gamecube compatibility is a great thing for one simple reason. Wii U, the console that has the most expensive controller in history, is meant to have next gen graphics, true 1080p 60 fps AND enough power to compete with systems that will come out 1-2 years later. PLUS the fact that the streaming to the controller takes up processing power so the wii u has to have more than enough to compete with next gen for it to actually run the games in that HD as well as use the second screen. this is all meant to be on a console that is price competitive. nintendo are going to have the toughest times of their lives making this console as cheap as they like for us all to buy, and having GC compatibility is only going to make that harder. its not about simply having the power to run gc games, its about being programmed to as well. this would make it more expensive, this is why its not there, this is why DVD player wont be there, nintendo has made the right choice
Posted Image

#14 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I love the GameCube, but in the end the Wii U doesn't need to have support for it. If someone really wanted to play there GameCube games they would just use there GameCube. I have rarely used my Wii to play GameCube games, I just use my GameCube's. It would be cool to have GameCube support, but if means a higher price towards the Wii U then I'd sacrifice the GameCube support. On the other hand I'm sure Nintendo will give us, in some way, the ability to play downloadable GameCube games using VC. I hope to see Virtual Console GameCube, but I don't think we need actual physical GameCube support.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#15 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Let them focus their efforts on the Wii U Operating System, like apps available at lauch and stuff. Everything that makes the Wii U cheaper but doesn't cut on its primary function like the horsepower and controller, it's a go for me.

Don't worry about GameCube physical backwards compatibility. They'll just release Virtual Console versions of it. And hopefully Nintendo will let you transfer your GameCube games to digital copies via the disc drive. That would be a lot better then raising the price for a feature [GC physical backwards compatibility] that few people would make use of it, unlike Wii physical backwards compatibility that is far more important as much more people own the Wii and it is now a respected brand among the majority of consumers. I mean, even the Wii U is a Wii family console.

Edited by Arkhandar, 09 January 2012 - 01:18 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#16 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

There seems to be one other thing everyone is forgetting as to why GameCube support would be a questionable move. This may or may not be true, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard, the Wii's disk slot was one of it's most expensive parts. This is due to the fact that it had to be able to go from reading the large Wii disks to the much smaller GameCube disks.This is also why it was cut from the "Family Model" Wii released last year. Odds are we'll be seeing GC games released on the Virtual Console, so I doubt we'll really miss it much.
Posted Image

#17 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

I honestly think that it would be better if it was VC because then they could fix up bugs and possibly make em HD!

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#18 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

No one seems to really be getting the point.

My point here, is, Nintendo could pull this off, without modifying console design, without increasing cost, with making an extra profit, and with minimal R&D cost by simplying what they already have done.

This is not emulation, the Wii does not emulate a gamecube, as it is not done in hardware, my idea is no more emulation than what Nintendo will use for Wii compatiblity.

Nintendo could still have Virtual Console Gamecube games, in fact this theory makes that more likely.

#19 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Look, if your point is that gamecube games are playable on the Wii U, hard copy or digital, then what we are all saying is that it only works beneficially to Nintendo if they are digital copies only.

If that's not what you are trying to say, then you've confused the hell out of us, and we request a MSPaint slideshow!

inb4illegallyspeakingforthemasses,son

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#20 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Ok, I understand now, I apologize.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users