109 replies to this topic

#1 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

http://www.newspakis...unched-in-2016/

But that's only because the PS4 will most likley release in 2016 according to Sony

(Sony did not say anything about Wii U and 720 they said the 2016 release date).

#2 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Um they never said that. They said they want to support PS3 until 2016. That doesn't mean they wont release the PS4 until 2016. It will be like PS2 and PS3 where PS2 was supporting even after the PS3 launched.

#3 Ponkotsu

Ponkotsu

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Fandom:
    Opoona, Mother, Dragon Quest

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

POPULAR

I've seen comments from the Sony CTO basically stating that their future plans are still focused on putting out really beefy, cutting edge hardware. Considering how badly that burned them with the PS3 - the biggest financial disaster in the history of the video game industry - and how badly that's working out with the Vita, it's safe to say at this point that Sony's future as a gaming hardware player is rocky to iffy at best.

Based on Sony and Microsoft's continued performances and unchanging philosophies in gaming hardware in the face of failure, I suspect we're going to be seeing a very different gaming industry in terms of hardware and major players by the end of this decade. At this point, the days of Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are visibly nearing a point of unsustainability, and when the Playstation and Xbox brands take their leave, it'll be Nintendo facing an even more complicated situation with Apple and potentially Google and other competitors as the face and structure of the video game industry continue to evolve and alter - it'll be up to Nintendo to remain as sharp and adaptable as they are now to keep their leadership position. Given that they're the only major player in gaming hardware that's entirely dedicated solely to video games and gaming devices - as opposed to simply having that as a mere division of a much larger electronics megacorporation - they're the only one with much real history, perspective, or vision when it comes to the medium as anything more than a simple feature on an electronic device. Their size, sharp leadership - which kept them in fantastic financial shape with careful management and hardware design even in their decade in last place in hardware - and focus as a smaller, dedicated company has been nothing but an advantage to them in this industry that the megacorporations can't touch. Losing them would be catastrophic to gaming as a whole.

That said, the future's only going to get more interesting, the 3DS is going to keep evolving as we get more firmware updates - December's huge one was just the start - features, and all sorts of games, and we haven't even really seen the tip of the iceberg with the Wii U yet. Exciting times ahead. Not so much for the present competition, though, going on their failure to react or adapt to failure and their increasingly clear visible lack of understanding of why Nintendo is as successful as they are now, or how to reach out to - let alone respect - the mass market audience.

#4 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I've seen comments from the Sony CTO basically stating that their future plans are still focused on putting out really beefy, cutting edge hardware. Considering how badly that burned them with the PS3 - the biggest financial disaster in the history of the video game industry - and how badly that's working out with the Vita, it's safe to say at this point that Sony's future as a gaming hardware player is rocky to iffy at best.

Based on Sony and Microsoft's continued performances and unchanging philosophies in gaming hardware in the face of failure, I suspect we're going to be seeing a very different gaming industry in terms of hardware and major players by the end of this decade. At this point, the days of Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are visibly nearing a point of unsustainability, and when the Playstation and Xbox brands take their leave, it'll be Nintendo facing an even more complicated situation with Apple and potentially Google and other competitors as the face and structure of the video game industry continue to evolve and alter - it'll be up to Nintendo to remain as sharp and adaptable as they are now to keep their leadership position. Given that they're the only major player in gaming hardware that's entirely dedicated solely to video games and gaming devices - as opposed to simply having that as a mere division of a much larger electronics megacorporation - they're the only one with much real history, perspective, or vision when it comes to the medium as anything more than a simple feature on an electronic device. Their size, sharp leadership - which kept them in fantastic financial shape with careful management and hardware design even in their decade in last place in hardware - and focus as a smaller, dedicated company has been nothing but an advantage to them in this industry that the megacorporations can't touch. Losing them would be catastrophic to gaming as a whole.

That said, the future's only going to get more interesting, the 3DS is going to keep evolving as we get more firmware updates - December's huge one was just the start - features, and all sorts of games, and we haven't even really seen the tip of the iceberg with the Wii U yet. Exciting times ahead. Not so much for the present competition, though, going on their failure to react or adapt to failure and their increasingly clear visible lack of understanding of why Nintendo is as successful as they are now, or how to reach out to - let alone respect - the mass market audience.

I think if Sony and Microsoft leave gaming hardware then Sega would come back because they left because of Sony and there only competition would be Nintendo, so it would be like the old days "Nintendo vs Sega" and "who's better Mario or Sonic?". I would be sad if Apple and Google joined the console busniess (like a Apple and Google merger) if that ever happended Nintendo and Sega would need to team up to destory them and possibly ask Sony and Microsoft to help.

But that's what I think would happen if Sony and Microsoft left.

#5 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

Actually there is a rumor being started That Sony is not going to make the PS4 but instead make a smart Tv that does everything including playing games, and it's supposed to compete with apples iTV. So there won't be an actual PS4 console per say, but Sony will still make gaming hardware, it will just be included with their smart 3DTV's and it will be around 2016.
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#6 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Okay, so Wii U's graphics look like real-life. Sony suspects they can get a lot better than real-life? Not going to happen.

#7 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

Okay, so Wii U's graphics look like real-life. Sony suspects they can get a lot better than real-life? Not going to happen.

holograms

Posted Image

#8 MoH

MoH

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Fandom:
    Shooters

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

By saying Wii U's graphics look real-life, I'm guessing you saw the Tokyo Street demo, which was a demo for the controller's capabilities and not actually game graphics.

Posted Image

#9 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

By saying Wii U's graphics look real-life, I'm guessing you saw the Tokyo Street demo, which was a demo for the controller's capabilities and not actually game graphics.

yh!! how stupidly awesome is that!! they werent even trying to do good graphics there and it looked so realistic!! at the same time, a lot of processing power went into the controller in that demo too. imagine what it can do if they use the system's max potential, insane graphics, and imagine if they do that without using the controller's screen, just buttons, then they could have the most visually beautiful game ever made :D
Posted Image

#10 nmeseth

nmeseth

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

yh!! how stupidly awesome is that!! they werent even trying to do good graphics there and it looked so realistic!! at the same time, a lot of processing power went into the controller in that demo too. imagine what it can do if they use the system's max potential, insane graphics, and imagine if they do that without using the controller's screen, just buttons, then they could have the most visually beautiful game ever made :D

You fail to understand.

It wasn't "game graphics" it's the same as taking google street demo, and making a section of it live. They essentially made a movie, but you could view it from 360 degrees.

They are ONLY showing off the potential capability of the 360 degree controller. But still very impressive. We don't know how many resources that Tokyo Street demo consumed, how long it took them to make it, or...anything about it..really. It was shown behind closed doors. Without any way of discovering how that demo was produced, or even processed by the Wii U console and hand-held...we can't really say anything other than the control method of viewing a given space in a static view (TV) and 360 degree view (Tablet). Which does make some cool possibilities for multiple monitor/TV setups...

For video game graphics, look at the zelda demo video.

Edited by nmeseth, 13 January 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#11 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

I still think the Wii U can do much better than that.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#12 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Well it can do better, but not lifelike... Gaming PCs can't even do Ray-Tracing in real time yet! You'll have your photo-realistic graphics when we can play a game at 8K resolution and full ray-tracing.

#13 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

I still think the Wii U can do much better than that.

The hardware for the Wii U isn't even finalised yet. Also, games developed for consoles during the beginning of it's lifespan is the least it can do!

Don't forget that SONY executives themselves said that the power leap from the PS3 to the PS4 won't be as dramatic as it was from the PS2 to the PS3.
SONY knows that power isn't really working well for them financially and they would act accordingly if they were smart.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#14 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Nahh the bird demo is better, japanese garden.

#15 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

You fail to understand.

It wasn't "game graphics" it's the same as taking google street demo, and making a section of it live. They essentially made a movie, but you could view it from 360 degrees.

They are ONLY showing off the potential capability of the 360 degree controller. But still very impressive. We don't know how many resources that Tokyo Street demo consumed, how long it took them to make it, or...anything about it..really. It was shown behind closed doors. Without any way of discovering how that demo was produced, or even processed by the Wii U console and hand-held...we can't really say anything other than the control method of viewing a given space in a static view (TV) and 360 degree view (Tablet). Which does make some cool possibilities for multiple monitor/TV setups...

ohh well thx for clearing that up, still pretty awesome though :D
Posted Image

#16 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

I dont know if Sony has the money to support something more powerful than the Wii U without loosing all of their customers with a huge price tag. Also they arent really the richest at the moment. I think that the PS4 is going to have to co exist with the PS3 for a while too that way they will be able to carry production costs more. But this doesnt mean that it is going to be the most powerful I think that though it is going to be more powerful than the PS3. Now also due to Sony's lack of money they will have to do the same thing that Nintendo did and make the PS4 more of a casual game system because the casual industry is kinda up for grabs in this gen and no one has claimed it. So if you asked me I would say that financially the PS4 is the least likely to be the most powerful.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#17 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

I dont know if Sony has the money to support something more powerful than the Wii U without loosing all of their customers with a huge price tag. Also they arent really the richest at the moment. I think that the PS4 is going to have to co exist with the PS3 for a while too that way they will be able to carry production costs more. But this doesnt mean that it is going to be the most powerful I think that though it is going to be more powerful than the PS3. Now also due to Sony's lack of money they will have to do the same thing that Nintendo did and make the PS4 more of a casual game system because the casual industry is kinda up for grabs in this gen and no one has claimed it. So if you asked me I would say that financially the PS4 is the least likely to be the most powerful.

No one except Nintendo. Why else do you think they put Wii in the name. Nintendo have already stated that they are keeping the casual, while pushing for the hardcore more. And because the Wii U is going to be first this gen the casual market is closed to sony and mircosoft.

#18 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

No one except Nintendo. Why else do you think they put Wii in the name. Nintendo have already stated that they are keeping the casual, while pushing for the hardcore more. And because the Wii U is going to be first this gen the casual market is closed to sony and mircosoft.

Sorry but Nintendo is attempting to claim the hardcore and so is Microsoft. The Wii wasnt even supposed to be casual but ended up being casual. The casual industry is still up for claiming.

Posted Image

#19 Nintendoes

Nintendoes

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

We're already seeing a pleasantly surprising amount of major western support pledged now, especially compared to the Wii, now that the Wii U's on a hardware level that the bigger western developers and publishers prefer. Continuing to court the strongest third party support they can pull in all regions is definitely vital, but it's less a matter of focusing on the 'hardcore' as it is a matter of continuing the Wii and DS strategy, like they are with the 3DS - all kinds of games for everyone, all styles of gameplay and every habit. Reggie's already emphasized that they're going to be reaching out to an even wider audience than with the Wii, which is just what we want to be hearing, frankly - it's as Iwata emphasized at E3 last year: 'wider and deeper.' A wider range of experiences for more people than we even saw this past generation, and even deeper and richer experiences of all sorts for all.

Thank you Ponkotsu.

You can't argue with the most factual member of the forums.

Edited by Nintendoes, 14 January 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#20 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

NINTENDO SAID THAT THEY ARE KEEPING THE CAUSAL WHILE PUSHING AGGRESSIVLY TOWARDS THE HARDCORE.

Yeah but that doesnt mean that the casual group is necessarily theirs. We wont be able to know who rightfully owns the casual group until all of the counsels come out. Nintendo is really trying to get the hardcore and thus they wont quite have the time to keep the casual group so they really dont own the casual group. But I am human so I can be wrong.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!