• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 nmeseth

nmeseth

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

When addressing the hardware performance of the Wii U, you have to take a few variables into consideration. Note, this does involve a lot of discussion of their competitors, as competition drives business.

-Profit.

Now, what I mean by that is that Nintendo has had more profit from their consoles than both Microsoft and Sony. This gives their investors/share holders/etc more confidence when investing into the next console generation. This fact, along with the fact that we do not have any specifications for the Wii U, quite to the contrary, the hardware is not set in stone yet.

Microsoft and Sony will probably have a hard time convincing their share holders/etc that the company spending millions of dollars to develop a new console at the same speed as Nintendo. Sony, as a company, is struggling to say the least. They sold their share of the HDTV The Wii U is in for some good news, because Sony announced it is sticking to a 10 year life-span for the PS3. I don't think their company can afford the hundreds of millions of dollars it would take to pump out a console that would rival today's PC's.

-Hardware

I really hope that the Wii U is not only planning on MATCHING the PS3/Xbox 360's performance, but blowing it out of the freakin' water. Because if the Wii U only matches the performance of this generation of gaming consoles...it's still FIVE years old. The main example for this, is "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" You look at this, put it on the PC, and immediately, IMMEDIATELY, you know its a console game. The resolution of the textures is 1000^2, and users are modding the game to support 4000^2. 400% higher quality. It is painfully obvious that the current generation of HD consoles are barely overlapping the area of quality that people consider "High Quality."

So if they really wanted to pull the hardcore gamers into their support (I'm not sure they do) and get rid of the "Kiddy" attitude that the PS3/360 fanboys have towards them. I'm talking about console market DOMINATION.

-They need to make people KNOW that the Wii U is BETTER than the PS3, in terms of processing power and graphics. The Wii U needs to move in and absolutely shred them to pieces.  

-They need to express support for the old school gaming controllers. Non-casual gamers need to know they aren't on the backburner. I'm talking about releasing a new duel analog stick controller, like a new gamecube controller. Just releasing that sort of controller would give hardcore developers and fans alike to look at the Wii U more seriously. (The Wii Classic Controller Plus doesn't count, btw)

-Gain the support of third party developers. Among the ranks of Infinity Ward, Bethesda Game Studios, and the development studios that pump out AAA titles. (Not saying THOSE companies, I'm saying those type of games). Although this wouldn't happen until 1-2 years after the launch of the Wii U, because those companies need to know they can commit a large amount of resources to a game, and get results (profit, obv)

-Have more games/series with storylines instead of just gameplay. Some of the most die-hard support for games come from when a game has a very emotional, passionate, and immersive world. These qualities are what place games in the ranks of timeless, legendary, must-have, must-play games. Like The Legend of Zelda, The Elder Scrolls, Gears of War, Halo, Mass Effect, obviously among many others. It's these passionate, die-hard fans that push these games. Just take a look at the Elder Scrolls community. (Which I am an absolute self-admitting crazed fanboy of) The lore involved with that series is more exciting, more intricate, more immersive than any game I have ever played. Hell. It's more immersive than real life. It's that moment when you want to be a part of a video game world more than real life. As stupid/crazy as that sounds, that's why we play video games. Because they aren't real, and they can't happen.

That's just what I think they would have to do to seize control of the console market. But although that'd be amazing, I highly doubt it will happen. With the marketing campaign of the Wii U already, it is conveying messages of little storyline (Save for zelda) and a lot of gameplay. Family-friendly games (Kid games, essentially). Although more than just kids and families will enjoy these games...it's this kind of message that gives power to the microsoft and sony market.

But it comes down to the fact that Nintendo has gotten results and profit from the motion-controlled family-friendly market, and I sadly, I don't think they would even release a new classic-controller for the Wii U, much less anything else I've talked about.

P.S. I completely and utterly rambled here, I didn't really bother to re-read it to see if the paragraph structure and logic made sense. So I apologize if you get lost in a few places.

Edited by nmeseth, 13 January 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#2 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Well, according to the rumored specs, the Wii U's GPU (one of the most important parts in order to have beautiful games) is 6x more powerful then the ones on PS3 and XBOX 360 so we should be alright next gen.
If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#3 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Well I can agree with you at some parts but I honestly believe that Nintendo will release a new controller other than the one that we all know about. Also Arkhandar is right many of the rumored specs are very powerful but that doesn't mean that the Wii U will necessarily be the best counsel. If Nintendo can get to all of em Sony and Microsoft bots and say that they aren't the kiddie gaming company then Nintendo will be set. I think that power in this gen wont matter but instead of power what will matter is innovation. That is something that every company lacks but Nintendo, wether for the better or the worst Nintendo has the power to innovate while their competitors dont and I think that will end up declaring the winner rather than power.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#4 Gameboysoadvance

Gameboysoadvance

Blooper

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

Rumored specs says it has 768mb of ram embedded......that's pretty powerful and unbelievable at the same time. This would mean a larger more expensive console that would very easily leave xbox 360 and ps3 in the dirt. However, like I mentioned this would make the wii u a very large console unless nintendo has found a way to put some of the ram onto the wii u controller(it does communicate with the wii u). I think it just an xbox 360 on roids.

#5 Hinkik

Hinkik

Skrillax numbr 1 faen

• Members
  • 667 posts
  • Fandom:
    Skrallux

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Well, according to the rumored specs, the Wii U's GPU (one of the most important parts in order to have beautiful games) is 6x more powerful then the ones on PS3 and XBOX 360 so we should be alright next gen.

You mean that the wii u's rumored HD 4770 is 6 times stronger than the PS3:s GTX 7800?

28gxdv8.png

#6 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Well the Wii U controller is practically just a classic controller with a screen on it, so I don't think an entirely new dual analog controller would be necessary at all. I also don't think motion controls will be getting much use outside of Nintendo games anymore, since the Wii U controller now gives developers the option to add standard controls just like in any 360 or PS3 game. And I think this is where the Wii U is already succeeding compared to the Wii. There are FAR more options for third parties on Wii U, no longer do they have to awkwardly shove motion controls into games that just weren't intended for them. It doesn't matter if Nintendo decides to make Wii U Sports or something like that, because you'll have the third parties delivering games like Darksiders 2 and Metro Last Light which play just as well as they would on the competing platforms. When you think about this, Nintendo's strategy of "appealing to everyone" with the console doesn't seem too far-fetched after all. Casual gamers will be attracted by the inevitable Wii U Sports/Fit/Play games and New Super Mario Bros Wii U, traditional Nintendo fans will be attracted by the usual quality first party titles, and hardcore gamers will be attracted by the mature third party games. If you want proof that Nintendo is taking the third party seriously here, just look at their E3 2011 conference. All that they spoke about the Wii U was almost entirely about third parties. Very little mention of casual-targetted games. To me, this a sign that the Wii U will be much more successful in this regard than previous Nintendo consoles.

Posted Image

#7 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

The Wii U doesn't lack power at all, and it much more powerful and current than the 360 and PS3. With proper third-party support, if Nintendo manages everything well enough, they have the chance to have a console with a larger market than ever before.

Rumored specs says it has 768mb of ram embedded......that's pretty powerful and unbelievable at the same time. This would mean a larger more expensive console that would very easily leave xbox 360 and ps3 in the dirt. However, like I mentioned this would make the wii u a very large console unless nintendo has found a way to put some of the ram onto the wii u controller(it does communicate with the wii u). I think it just an xbox 360 on roids.

786MB of RAM is dissappointing to me, I just built a computer and I put 16GB of RAM into it, and that cost me only $90 to do, DRAM prices are at an all time low, and if they know what's good for them, Nintendo will have at least 2GB of DDR3 in the Wii U.

From a programming standpoint, the Wii U is basically a much, much faster 360, which only means developers with 360 experience will be more likely to develop for the Wii U.

#8 Gameboysoadvance

Gameboysoadvance

Blooper

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

U have a computer not a home console. I will to bet that you have a large cabinet that. Houses your CPU. Now look at your computer and imagine a home console look being that large sitting besides your tv.......feel stupid don't cha.

#9 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

U have a computer not a home console. I will to bet that you have a large cabinet that. Houses your CPU. Now look at your computer and imagine a home console look being that large sitting besides your tv.......feel stupid don't cha.

No I don't, for all of the room that PC takes up, 4GB took less physical space than 1/8 of the disk drive they would use.

#10 Adr990

Adr990

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

The WiiU must be quite powerful without being able to ever show it really.
As the WiiU controller is asking for a stream all the time, this is quite a performance already, looking at the graphics etc.

I just hope Nintendo will go with at least 50GB of disc space.
Or at least let their selfs being able to go above the 25GB of space they told us to have,

Recent big titles really needed it.

#11 stupidvillager

stupidvillager

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

EDRAM is not the same as the ram in you computer. EDRAM is embedded on the same die as the CPU/GPU. 768 is an insane amount for embedded ram which makes this highly unlikely. If it is true, this would be amazing.

#12 chipvader

chipvader

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

The WiiU must be quite powerful without being able to ever show it really.
As the WiiU controller is asking for a stream all the time, this is quite a performance already, looking at the graphics etc.

I just hope Nintendo will go with at least 50GB of disc space.
Or at least let their selfs being able to go above the 25GB of space they told us to have,

Recent big titles really needed it.

single layer is 25 gb, duel layer is 50 gb

#13 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

EDRAM is not the same as the ram in you computer. EDRAM is embedded on the same die as the CPU/GPU. 768 is an insane amount for embedded ram which makes this highly unlikely. If it is true, this would be amazing.

Which is why I'm acting like it isn't, lol.

#14 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

From what I currently know and the demo's Nintendo had revealed we can safely say that this is a powerful console no doubt.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#15 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

impossible.. with the tech they are using you can only fit 8 mb of edram on a single core.. so you would need 96 cores... these are specs from an early dev kit that was using 360 equivalent specs, so these are nothing to go by. Also the rumored specs werent translated correctly if it said 768 mb of edram

Posted Image

#16 Dant

Dant

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

impossible.. with the tech they are using you can only fit 8 mb of edram on a single core.. so you would need 96 cores... these are specs from an early dev kit that was using 360 equivalent specs, so these are nothing to go by. Also the rumored specs werent translated correctly if it said 768 mb of edram

There's nothing impossible about 768MB of EDRAM, The number of cores, and amount of RAM have nothing to do with each other, FPGAs wouldn't be able to properly simulate RAM like they can if it wasn't the case. It would increase the physical size of the chip in question. Keep in mind though, with larger chips comes more cost to make them, due to how imperfections in semiconductor manufacturing work.

#17 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yes, rumored. It's not a good idea to assume anything based on rumors.

#18 Two-Tailed Link!

Two-Tailed Link!

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic,Mario,Pokemon,Zelda,Kid Icarus

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

wooow. am i the only one who never understood this stuff! I just go buy a console, play the games, start a console war :P and never talk about what your talking. Im still 13 so until i understand this,please speak a human language.
KID ICARUS UPRISING FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

wooow. am i the only one who never understood this stuff! I just go buy a console, play the games, start a console war :P and never talk about what your talking. Im still 13 so until i understand this,please speak a human language.

This 'language' cannot be understood by the likes of your kind. Your failure to understand will be the cause your termination.
Extermination process will commence within 24 Earth hours.

:P

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

The Wii U will be good enough. If they release the Wii U now, and give it a 7 - 10 year life span, and Microsoft and Sony wait five more years until they release their console -- thats fine, and all that means is the Wii U will always have better looking and better AI in their exclusive games because the 360 and PS3 can't match the Wii U.

If PS4 and Xbox 720 are released 2013/2014, then the Wii U will be the least powerful console sure. However it will not have the same problem the Wii did because the Wii was several generations behind. That tech was created back in 1999 - 2001 (the GCN came out in 2001 guys and the Wii used GCN tech). The Wii U will be able to play all next gen engines and thats what matters.

So in terms of power, it will be fine. Question is price. Thats what will decide it's fate. And since Nintendo basically used GCN tech for Wii and sold an extra 90 million units with R&D they spent on the GCN, they definitely have the ability to price it at a 299 - 399 price point. $299 would be ideal.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!