16 replies to this topic

#1 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

I totally forgot about this reviews section  :blink:

Welp, kinda late, but here you go, video review of Super Smash Bros for Wii U!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

Enjoy!  :laugh:

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

Am I the only one that noticed frame drops when playing multi man smash?

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

Yes. There are no frame drops, even check the Digital Foundry thing. It only ever drops to 58 briefly.

The camera mode, though, that has some weird frame rate issues.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#4 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

didn't notice frame drops during normal gameplay, though i did notice characters that spawn mid match tend to cause drops/lag.  In some of the events, wario spawned, and then used his bike, which caused the game to freeze for almost a second, and again once the bike was destroyed. Then the game would play normally. I can see this happening in multi-man when a character spawned instead of one of the mii's.  

As for why it happens, my guess is the game didn't have the asset needed loaded, so it had to go to the disk and find it, which stalls the entire game until that happens. Again this only seemed to happen in very specific cases =/.

#5 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

I couldnt resist

#6 Horchata

Horchata

Chicken

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

Great review as always!

Posted Image

#7 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:56 AM

didn't notice frame drops during normal gameplay, though i did notice characters that spawn mid match tend to cause drops/lag. In some of the events, wario spawned, and then used his bike, which caused the game to freeze for almost a second, and again once the bike was destroyed. Then the game would play normally. I can see this happening in multi-man when a character spawned instead of one of the mii's.

As for why it happens, my guess is the game didn't have the asset needed loaded, so it had to go to the disk and find it, which stalls the entire game until that happens. Again this only seemed to happen in very specific cases =/.

Yeah for example when a boss like Ridley or metal face appears it drops a few frames, or when a mega version of a character spawns in multi man smash

sfOI1m6.jpg

#8 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

Actually, the only way I could get the framerate to drop significantly was myself with 7 CPUs SPREAD OUT on the Great Cave Offense level.  The framerate hitches a lot...

Yes. There are no frame drops, even check the Digital Foundry thing. It only ever drops to 58 briefly.

The camera mode, though, that has some weird frame rate issues.

Camera mode drops to 30 fps most of the time, I haven't really understood why, either, though...  It could be loading in higher quality assets when you zoom in that far/use photo mode or something.

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#9 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

Actually, the only way I could get the framerate to drop significantly was myself with 7 CPUs SPREAD OUT on the Great Cave Offense level.  The framerate hitches a lot...

Camera mode drops to 30 fps most of the time, I haven't really understood why, either, though...  It could be loading in higher quality assets when you zoom in that far/use photo mode or something.

In 8 player smash I never noticed any lag, but I haven't played it that much either so I can't say much on that.

It's the multi-man smash that bugs me...

What's even worse is when playing online though, I really hate my Wi-Fi :(

sfOI1m6.jpg

#10 Atticus

Atticus

Game Genie

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • NNID:Atticus242
  • Fandom:
    Wii U, 3DS, Xbox 360, WWE

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Stellar review as usual.

#11 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

Great review, but it's better than a 9. I'd put it right up or even beyond mk8, which you gave a ten.

#12 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

In 8 player smash I never noticed any lag, but I haven't played it that much either so I can't say much on that.

It's the multi-man smash that bugs me...

What's even worse is when playing online though, I really hate my Wi-Fi :(

Yea, it's the same netcode as SSBB, which is disappointing... Using frame sync is such an old-fashioned idea, because the moment there's lag, it becomes a nightmare...  It may not even be YOUR WiFi, and to top it off, even inputs are synchronized, meaning there is also a small bit of latency between when you hit the button and your character moves, simply because it has to wait until the host responds.  The GOOD news is that everyone's internet is generally better than it was, say, 6 years ago, haha

Great review, but it's better than a 9. I'd put it right up or even beyond mk8, which you gave a ten.

The ported retro stages is instantly a fault that keeps it from being a 10, while MK8 features completely reworked retro courses.  If they gave SSBU retro stages the same love that MK8 did to their courses, I'd be more inclined to agree with you... That, and the graphics engine clearly doesn't achieve the same level of current generation lighting techniques demonstrated in Pikmin 3, SM3DW, MK8, and now Captain Toad.  It's more the first part about ported retro stages that makes a major mark on the score.  There's really no excuse to be using last generation assets when MK8 shows what they're capable of...

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#13 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

Yea, it's the same netcode as SSBB, which is disappointing... Using frame sync is such an old-fashioned idea, because the moment there's lag, it becomes a nightmare... It may not even be YOUR WiFi, and to top it off, even inputs are synchronized, meaning there is also a small bit of latency between when you hit the button and your character moves, simply because it has to wait until the host responds. The GOOD news is that everyone's internet is generally better than it was, say, 6 years ago, haha

The ported retro stages is instantly a fault that keeps it from being a 10, while MK8 features completely reworked retro courses. If they gave SSBU retro stages the same love that MK8 did to their courses, I'd be more inclined to agree with you... That, and the graphics engine clearly doesn't achieve the same level of current generation lighting techniques demonstrated in Pikmin 3, SM3DW, MK8, and now Captain Toad. It's more the first part about ported retro stages that makes a major mark on the score. There's really no excuse to be using last generation assets when MK8 shows what they're capable of...

Mine isn't though... And it lags for me EVERY match so it's cause of me, which is why I only play local or by myself.

sfOI1m6.jpg

#14 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

Mine isn't though... And it lags for me EVERY match so it's cause of me, which is why I only play local or by myself.

Hmmm, well, if it makes you feel any better, after several online matches that slowed to an EFFING CRAWL, I started staying away from it myself... lol

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

#15 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hmmm, well, if it makes you feel any better, after several online matches that slowed to an EFFING CRAWL, I started staying away from it myself... lol

I once had to wait like 2 minutes for the "3, 2, 1" to go down due to it having to buffer..

sfOI1m6.jpg

#16 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, i see your point, but i think the game otherwise offers enough to bump it up to a 9.5 or higher. I like the roster better than mk8 and the stage editor, tho very basic is still pretty cool. You get game demos and a very extensive soundtrack.

Edited by Rockodoodle, 16 December 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#17 ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

I once had to wait like 2 minutes for the "3, 2, 1" to go down due to it having to buffer..

Yikes, so, uhm... Don't play online with me  :P

Yeah, i see your point, but i think the game otherwise offers enough to bump it up to a 9.5 or higher. I like the roster better than mk8 and the stage editor, tho very basic is still pretty cool. You get game demos and a very extensive soundtrack.

I'm pretty hard on laziness.  It's one thing if there's effort and it doesn't quite hit the mark, but it's another thing to just plop something in...  Nintendo normally puts effort into their games head-to-toe, but I couldn't help but feel the retro stages were left the way they were simply to make the release date easier to manage.  Mario Kart 8 completely changed my expectations of "retro" from Nintendo  :D

Sig_Banner.jpg

www.youtube.com/zyroxz2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!