• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Source http://wiiudaily.com...-to-its-limits/

legend-of-zelda-wii-u1-640x360.jpg?f319f

With 2015 supposedly being the year we finally get to see what Eiji Aonuma has been working on this whole time, it’s not surprising to see him giving interviews relating to the upcoming Zelda Wii U game. We still don’t have a working title for the game, but that hasn’t stopped Aonuma from revealing that he plans on pushing the Wii U to its limits hardware-wise in order to create a large, open world space. According to him, Zelda Wii U will have “as large a world as can be realized” with the current hardware.

Aonuma also mentioned his smartphone with maps on it and how that relates to how players will use the map on the Wii U GamePad. He states that a map is not something you keep tucked away until you need it, since you always need it when you’re in an unfamiliar place.

A huge, seamlessly unfolding world is something that can’t be achieved if the hardware isn’t advanced enough. Ever since we made the very first generation of Legend of Zelda games though, we’ve had as large a world as can be realised with the hardware, so you could say it was inevitable that we’ve now done the same with the new Wii U title.

When I first showed off the new Zelda game on the Wii U, it seemed everyone was very excited and started proclaiming that a Zelda game had at last become open world! Zelda games have always allowed you to roam and explore a huge world.

What’s changed now is that the hardware has progressed to the point that you can now explore this vast world seamlessly; the underpinning of the game hasn’t changed.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

Exactly what I like to hear :D

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

*spurt* Aw man, now I have to change.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

So wii u will have two of the best and perhaps biggest open world games this gen.
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

I'm still looking to see if this large world carries with it an actual improved and larger game.  I'm talking actual NPC's that have schedules and backgrounds, and rewarding non fetch side quests. But every single thing I have seen and heard about this game so far is fantastic.. ITS ALMOST TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

I'm still looking to see if this large world carries with it an actual improved and larger game.  I'm talking actual NPC's that have schedules and backgrounds, and rewarding non fetch side quests. But every single thing I have seen and heard about this game so far is fantastic.. ITS ALMOST TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!

That would be:
ctr_zeldamm_ts_eur_dummy__large.jpg

Every zelda game could use a huge freaking helping of majoras mask, in the npc/sidequest department. Hopefully this one channels majoras mask into its overworld, towns, and npc's, because that WOULD be fantastic.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

That would be:
ctr_zeldamm_ts_eur_dummy__large.jpg

Every zelda game could use a huge freaking helping of majoras mask, in the npc/sidequest department. Hopefully this one channels majoras mask into its overworld, towns, and npc's, because that WOULD be fantastic.

Indeed.  Majora's Mask remains my favorite Zelda game because it dared to break the formula and in return we were left with, in my opinion, the most intriguing game world in gaming.  Almost every single NPC had a story and a purpose, and each one was integral to the world and the advancement of the overall story.  It made a living, breathing, bizarre, and almost untopable world.  I like what Aunuma said about the remake, how he learned from his mistakes, but also was reminded of all the things he did right, and I am looking forward to see if his recent remake experience carries over into his design of Zelda Wii U, and if it does I do not think another Zelda could possibly surpass it.

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:21 PM

Haven't most Zelda games had NPC schedules and backgrounds?

I know Skyward Sword definitely did..

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

Haven't most Zelda games had NPC schedules and backgrounds?

I know Skyward Sword definitely did..

Skyward sword didn't, because skyward sword didn't have a day/night cycle. Character events were triggered by event completions, and they were at one place at day, and another by night (Whih was changed over manually when the player slept in a bed), unless changed by an event (like completing a sidequest).

Windwaker did, with the most notable being windfall island, which was like a mini, (really mini), Majoras mask bit.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:13 PM

Look you know there are some real pleasing parts of this game and some things that they need to rectify pretty quickly. It's just a perfect way to start the year.

#11 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:02 AM

Look you know there are some real pleasing parts of this game and some things that they need to rectify pretty quickly. It's just a perfect way to start the year.

Honestly I don't think we know enough about the game nor have seen enough of it to start pondering what needs to be corrected...

The last footage we saw at the game awards was just to show the scale of the world, nothing more. Lots of things were not shown, turned off in the engine, or hidden so as not to spoil. On top of this, it's in development. 

#12 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:23 AM

Well we were, we were confident that this would be a well polished title. Aonuma has been great for a while now. I thought his latest work, a link between worlds was outstanding, especially with a lot of young developers around him. I reckon he'll bring that sort form to this game.  

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

So in otherwords freaking massive. What pushes Wii U more. Zelda or XCX.

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

So in otherwords freaking massive. What pushes Wii U more. Zelda or XCX.

Tis the question!

#15 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

Tis the question!

Zelda. WindWaker HD was the reference point for building the hardware, so they better know what the system is capable of and designed to do.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#16 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

Zelda. WindWaker HD was the reference point for building the hardware, so they better know what the system is capable of and designed to do.

Wind Waker HD only came about when the dev team working on Zelda U were happy with how WW looked and so they decided to spend 6 months to make it into an actual release. They experimented with other past Zelda art styles too, but at the time of all of this the Wii U needed games. The Wii U hardware was already in the stores and in hands of users. I'd expect during this time the engine was being worked on, but the hardware was already final.

In a Nintendo Direct presentation released on January 23, 2013, a high-definition remaster of The Wind Waker was announced for the Wii U, then slated for release in the fall of 2013. The remaster came about as the development team experimented with art styles for the next main Zelda title, also in development for Wii U. HD remasters of the later Zelda games in the series, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, were also tested during the planning stages, but the development team considered The Wind Waker '​s visuals to be the most improved.[18] The Wind Waker HD took six months to develop.[19] The soundtrack was updated by Kenta Nagata, Hajime Wakai, Asuka Hayazaki, and Atsuko Asahi. While the game was developed in-house at EAD, high-resolution textures were produced with the help of a few external companies

#17 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

WWHD didn't make a lot of sense when announced or when released other than Nintendo going into the remaster phase everyone else is. WW is easy to call a port and while done quick was sorta a remake. Kinda. The game made a lot more sense when Zelda U was revealed for Wii U.  From the cel shading style to where he explains in E3 that every point in the world has a defined entrance and exit in WW but tried to convey a open world. Zelda U has no defined entrance. You can approach a problem or area many different ways. WWHD sorta test run,rehearsal developing on Wii U.

#18 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

Yes the WWHD was very much a way for the team to familiarize themselves with working with the system, and I think that the fast sailing might have been a test to see how much the new hardware was capable of loading at certain speeds, because the boat speed is very similar to Epona's speed.  Also, The visuals for both the games are similar, while Zelda U is obviously far superior, and is almost a mix of SS, TP, and WW.  I think for Zelda U, the team is made of a lot of young folks, and experienced veterans.  Also, I think Aunuma loves to make extremely different games but is stuck with the Zelda franchise, so he personally loves to drastically change things up and experiment.  He was once tasked with making Ura Zelda, and when he hated just rehashing the OoT, he challenged Miyamoto and ended up making IMO the best Zelda game in the franchise's 3D history, Majora's Mask.  I also think it is clear he listens to fans and uses their input, to a degree.  He saw how upset a large portion was about the WW's childish graphics, so he gave us the gritty TP.  I know i have digressed a little, but what I am trying to get at is that This game is exactly what the fanbase wants right now, and I think he is going to deliver like he did with MM, WW, and TP.  This game is gonna blow my freaking mind!

#19 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

and I think that the fast sailing might have been a test to see how much the new hardware was capable of loading at certain speeds

Lol I'm more inclined to think that the fast sailing was because the game was a nightmare without it. Could be both of course!

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

No it wasn't.  It was fine plus got fast travel mid game.  It was slower to travel as young link in OoT or on horseback in TP.  Just people don't understand how sailing works that whatever way the wind blows you go faster. They made the game easier for people complaining an easy game is to hard.  No matter where the wind is go faster. There was a lot to discover in WW ocean and it was at the perfect speed to let you do so.

Lol I'm more inclined to think that the fast sailing was because the game was a nightmare without it. Could be both of course!

Edited by Ryudo, 17 February 2015 - 05:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!