#1 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

The 7th generation was by far the most commercially successful generation, and with a 400 million+ install base came the companies who saw games a means to make money rather than an interactive art form. However, there were dozens of absolutely fantastic games made that came from those many developers that still carry with them the instinct to make beautiful, expressive, enthralling, and entertaining games.  The purpose of this thread is to honor those studios and their games, expressing not only a list of titles but a list of fond and unforgettable memories that those brilliant minds left with us,  IT IS NOT TO TARNISH OTHERS' FOND MEMORIES! Not everyone is going to have the same list, so if you disagree with someone, please either keep it to yourself or do so in a respectful and open-minded manner. Ports of older games, remakes, and/or any game that existed on a previous generation is not to be included (ie. Twilight Princess). 

My top five:

5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3): Among the library full of playable movies from last generation, few of them stand out in a way that U2:AT does.  The game had an engrossing story, fun tps combat, and the most realistic graphics of its time, showing that the PS3's cell processor wasn't all theoretical. It was Truly the most worthy 10 hour theatrical video game of the last generation.  Not much else needs to be said about this masterpiece.

4. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)- While not my favorite in the series, it managed to finally include a worthwhile and not completely frustrating motion control scheme.  It also took great steps towards modernizing the series with a heavier focus on story.  In a time where HD games on the other systems were making the wii games hard to even look at, this game was a bright light because of its impressionistic, beautiful art style.  Also, while the world was considerably smaller than previous games, it was also infinitely times more interesting, and every chunk of land was used for something, although the same cannot be said for the sky...  I will argue that in used space, this game was far bigger than any Zelda before it.  Overall, a shining example of design expertise in the 7th generation.

3. Skyrim(PC version)- "Holy crap, where did that last 12 hours go!" During my days of playing skyrim, this was an often thought statement.  In terms of amount to do, this game trumps all.  The world, while slightly bland, is a engrossing and life filled environment that makes sense.  Unlike many contemporary RPGs, a lush forest doesn't give way by the means of a canyon or pass to a desert, and then to a fantasy style plains.  It is simply a cold, unforgiving world worth every penny spent to get it (1,200/$12 for me, steam sales <3).  It is one of my personal favorite RPGs, and is ultimately the game that took up the most of my time last gen.  Also, the 1000's of mods for this game give it nearly infinite replay value.

2. Minecraft (PC)- While some may argue with me for days about this, this game is obviously one of the most substantial and inventive games of the last gen.  It gives you and infinite world made of pixely chunks, than lets you just... do. You can do and build nearly anything.  Ride horses? of. Fly? ok. Hunt monsters? ok.  Build a massive kingdom? ok.  Sale the vast sea of greatness? go ahead. Not only did this game take up 100's of hours of my time, it also opened up some of the most creative corners of my brain, and because of that, it is on this list.  Good job Notch.

1. Tie between Sonic 06 and Call of Duty: 13 year olds who bang moms

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2: So cliche I know, but what other 3d game has done platforming so flawlessly? None.  This game is a spectacle of platforming, no, gaming itself.  Its soundtrack is brilliant, its visuals are stunning for a wii game, and despite being a little lazy with the level design with it being so similar to its predecessor, it gets away with it because it is better in every single possible way.  While at first I hated the galaxy games for being so linear, I then had one too many open world sandbox AAA games shoved down my throat and realized that the controlled experience this game offers you is so pristine that it craps on the whole open world sandbox scene.  I also remembered the point of mario and Zelda, how they are supposed to be almost opposites, one being linear and controlled, and the other being open and free. I am now a huge fan of this game after my second playthrough despite hating it my first because I realized I missed the plain fun aspect of this game, and the brilliant level designs. 

And a few honorable mentions: 

Portal 2

Pokemon Black and White

Xenoblade

Mass Effect trilogy

Oblivion

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Valkyria Chronicles

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Also, for fun, my 6th gen faves:

1. Twilight Princess

2. Morrowind

3. Super Smash Bros. Melee

4. Shadow of the Colossus

5. Halo: Combat Evolved

What are your top five?

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#2 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

Hard to actually give definitive ranks but these would probably be the 5 in no specific order.

Demons Souls- Awesome new IP, great atmosphere, challenging but fair whereas Dark Souls just feels like it's trying to screw you.

Biosock- Probably the best NEW ip of the generation. There have been so many shooters this last gen trying to fight for the CoD market, but Bioshock instead did it's own thing and it excelled.

Xenoblade- Best jrpg of last gen on consoles. Period.

Skyward Sword- Great origin story for Zelda and awesome art.

Mario Galaxy 1/2- The Mario 3 of 3D Mario games.

pNgecl.gif

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

Is Twilight Princess really 6th gen? I mean it came out on the Wii first so

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

Is Twilight Princess really 6th gen? I mean it came out on the Wii first so

But was developed for Gamecube and last minute ported to Wii. They launched the GCN version later to let Wii have it's launch. Originally it was not going to be for Wii at all. I remember Nintendo confirming then denying it was coming to wii a couple times before a few months before launch finally decided yeah it's coming to Wii.

#5 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Twilight princess was developed for the gamecube, a sixth gen console, so yes it is 6th gen.  It came out on the wii only due to the wii basically being an overclocked gamecube so the game was incredibly unstrenuous to port.

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#6 Son Edo

Son Edo

Spiny

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • NNID:SonEdo

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

From what I've played. In no order.

Wii/PS3/360 era

Super Mario Galaxy

Arkham City

GTA IV

Smash Bros Brawl

The Last Of Us or The Walking Dead Season 1

Twilight Princess would easily be in there if it was in consideration. 

Edited by Son Edo, 01 March 2015 - 11:05 PM.

#7 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:12 PM

No way I can pick 5 only 2 stand out Mario Galaxy and Smash brothers brawl.

#8 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:51 AM

Mass Effect series (can't just choose one)

Mario Galaxy 2

The Last of Us

Mortal Kombat

FallOut 3

And a lot more....

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

5? Impossible for me. Maybe 50 but nothing under that. I am terrible with lists. Only list I can do is my top 3 fave games of all time

#10 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

5? Impossible for me. Maybe 50 but nothing under that. I am terrible with lists. Only list I can do is my top 3 fave games of all time

What are your top three games of all time then?

#11 Marcus

Marcus

Spiny

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

5 is thankfully easier than 10. After 5 I start worrying if I'm forgetting something. So top 5 of 7th gen:

1) Mass Effect 2

2) Mario Galaxy 1/2

3) Dark Souls

4) Portal 2

5) Xenoblade Chronicles (still haven't finished but I'm confident enough based on what I'd played)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: generation, games, top 5, list, top five, milk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!