Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

I doubt Nintendo would be breaking their traditions of having midnight launches. I mean the Wii and the 3DS' went quite well from what I can recall. Not sure why they wouldn't want to do it for the Wii U.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#22 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

We are months away from release, mid night openings are often decided a few weeks or months before hand. After September then they will probably have stores doing midnight releases.

Back when the 3DS came out, my local GAME and HMV said they doubt they would have a midnight launch since its a handheld. Then fast forward to about a few weeks before, they had signs saying midnight launch for 3DS.

#23 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

Don't just take it from ONE GameStop employee that knows next to nothing about anything.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#24 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

I can see this for several reasons:
1) The Wii U and Nintendo is very family centric. At midnight, only gamers are going to be the ones daring to be awake to go to a gamestop and purchase one. Nintendo probably chose to hold back on that, because they wouldn't have their entire audience purchasing at that hour. In short, people expecting to buy during the day may find empty stocks.

2) The recent Dark Knight Rises incident.

3) Gamestop is gay.

Hahaha, number three is definately the sole reason for this BS :)

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#25 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

We will probably find out when date and price is released. I usually pull all nighters in front of target for new releases anyways
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#26 Hoodbury

Hoodbury

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, CoD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

this makes since who the hell wants to be up that late waiting in a line for hours anyway it just blows. good thing i dont do that lol

Er, I'd rather wait in line from like 8PM to midnight instead of having to get up at like 3 in the morning to wait in line for a 7 am store opening.

#27 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Er, I'd rather wait in line from like 8PM to midnight instead of having to get up at like 3 in the morning to wait in line for a 7 am store opening.

i dont do that i go to my local target in the afternoon on launch day and pick up the console , i did it with 3ds so im going to do the same here. people in my town are stupid when it comes to looking for good places to find games because there is a gamestop right across from the target that gets all the attention for launches so its just like full stock at the target lol.
Its just too easy, that and i hate buying games from gamestop because they try to force deals on u

Signature_Fox.png

#28 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

As a former GameStop employee, let me tell you this: EVERY GameStop employee is full of carp. ;)

Wait, doesn't that mean your full of crap?

#29 FrostySweetness

FrostySweetness

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sims, Pokemon, Little Big Planet

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't take his word...he can just be going by his personal opinion. I am the only person I know considering and pretty much will get the Wii U (or try to) on launch...most people I know are disappointed in Nintendo, with their choice in software, features, etc...the dude can just be taking his personal opinion and what others think about the Wii now, and just think there is no demand or little demand for the Wii U.

I believe Nintendo will have a midnight release...there will be demand for the Wii U. There already is. And I talked to an employee back before the 3DS launched and he said the midnight releases go by demand/ pre-order numbers.

#30 King_Bowser_Koopa

King_Bowser_Koopa

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yeah. I wasn't expecting any. Didn't ever happen with any previous console, so why even bother asking?

I don't really care either way. I camped out at my local Target store, at around midnight to get my N64. With the GameCube my job prevented me from camping out, so I walked into a Best Buy and picked up an Indigo colored GCN on launch day (Black was sold out). My job still prevented me from camping out for the Wii, but I had one on reserve and walked in to my local GameStop on launch day and bought one.

This year, for the Wii U, I am hoping to camp out at Target again. The N64 was the first Nintendo console I ever bought with my own money, so it would be cool get the Wii U in the same manner. I've already let my boss know that I don't intend on working on whatever day the console launches. He's okay with that.

Edited by King_Bowser_Koopa, 16 August 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#31 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

My local GameStop had a midnight launch for the 3DS, I don't see why they wouldn't have one for the Wii U. Strangely they had a Zelda Skyward Sword midnight launch, despite it not being advertised on their site, I'm not even sure if there were any other GameStop Zelda midnight launches. But on topic, I think the employee had no idea what he was talking about, I'm sure midnight releases will be all over the country for almost every store that carries video games.

#32 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

My local GameStop had a midnight launch for the 3DS, I don't see why they wouldn't have one for the Wii U. Strangely they had a Zelda Skyward Sword midnight launch, despite it not being advertised on their site, I'm not even sure if there were any other GameStop Zelda midnight launches. But on topic, I think the employee had no idea what he was talking about, I'm sure midnight releases will be all over the country for almost every store that carries video games.

My GameStop didn't. :/ *Jelly right now*
Posted Image

#33 King_Bowser_Koopa

King_Bowser_Koopa

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

My GameStop didn't. :/ *Jelly right now*

Strawberry jelly? That's my favorite.

#34 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Strawberry jelly? That's my favorite.

No, Blackberry. Mmm

#35 Hyrule's Samurai

Hyrule's Samurai

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Will Nintendo World be holding a midnight launch, because I plan on pre-ordering and then cosplaying down in the city at launch. Also, was Reggie at Best Buy or Nintendo World?

#36 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I've heard this excuse before. I doubt they're telling you the truth.

#37 andodel

andodel

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic the Hedgehog, Nintendo

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

I can see this for several reasons:
1) The Wii U and Nintendo is very family centric. At midnight, only gamers are going to be the ones daring to be awake to go to a gamestop and purchase one. Nintendo probably chose to hold back on that, because they wouldn't have their entire audience purchasing at that hour. In short, people expecting to buy during the day may find empty stocks.

2) The recent Dark Knight Rises incident.

3) Gamestop is gay.

What does the DKR thing have to do with this? It was a shooting, they happen all the time, regardless of the situation. If somebody wants to shoot up a crowd, then there going to do it regardless of other variables.
I really don't get all the hate for Gamestop. They just sell video games, and buy back used ones. You don't like the amount they'll give you, then don't trade in, but that doesn't mean they are a horrible store. Perhaps instead of getting into a conversation with the employees, just so you can find another reason to hate them, you should just buy/sell and get out.
As for a midnight launch, they've done this for past consoles, so theres a high chance they'll do it again.

#38 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

What does the DKR thing have to do with this? It was a shooting, they happen all the time, regardless of the situation. If somebody wants to shoot up a crowd, then there going to do it regardless of other variables.
I really don't get all the hate for Gamestop. They just sell video games, and buy back used ones. You don't like the amount they'll give you, then don't trade in, but that doesn't mean they are a horrible store. Perhaps instead of getting into a conversation with the employees, just so you can find another reason to hate them, you should just buy/sell and get out.
As for a midnight launch, they've done this for past consoles, so theres a high chance they'll do it again.

I agree, I guess I'm lucky since the people at the GameStops around me are polite and don't product push. They even gave me a free DDR mat for the GameCube and Wii. I usually chat with them too.

#39 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Bump'n the dead lol.

My gamestop said they will probably have one, but that was right before the preorders. So idk if that changed or not. And everyone knows right now that they are sold out, so only preordered people will get them. So idk.
I.think gamestop may skip this one and open a lil sooner on sunday.
But this is all guessing.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#40 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

I bet every store will have their own policy. You should ask your own Gamestop/Fred Meyer/Walmart if they are going to have one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!