#101 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Zero Escape

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Just played the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo on the 3DS. If anyone is new to the series, it is a disaster since they don't give you a tutorial on how to...well how to pretty much do anything. My issue with that is that it wouldn't be a problem if the game mechanics weren't so rigid. I'm hoping the missing tutorials are just a demo thing but It looks like it can be some fun after getting a hang of the controls. The biggest issue seems to be the not good camera if you don't have a circle pad pro XL for us XL users.

So I downloaded the Wii U demo shortly after playing the 3DS version. There is very little difference between the two for the exception of certain menu layouts and the camera. I have to emphasize that for a good experience with this game, an extra circle pad is a MUST. The experience was much more crisp and smooth on the Wii U visually and physically. I also got a hang of the controls much easier (maybe due to the extra buttons) and I really enjoyed this version of the game. I made some use of the touch screen on the gamepad too. It got me really intrigued and I'm definitely going to invest in this title. I may pick up the both versions to play with friends at a later time, but I believe it supports online so I'm definitely sold.

Since I'm new to the series, the only other game I've played that seems very similar to it is Phantasy Star Online episodes 1 & 2. I played the hell out of it and it gives me the same vibes, which is a good sign.

Free the pokemon!

"I cannot see the future yet... The world is still to be determined..."

#102 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Just played the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo on the 3DS. If anyone is new to the series, it is a disaster since they don't give you a tutorial on how to...well how to pretty much do anything. My issue with that is that it wouldn't be a problem if the game mechanics weren't so rigid. I'm hoping the missing tutorials are just a demo thing but It looks like it can be some fun after getting a hang of the controls. The biggest issue seems to be the not good camera if you don't have a circle pad pro XL for us XL users.
So I downloaded the Wii U demo shortly after playing the 3DS version. There is very little difference between the two for the exception of certain menu layouts and the camera. I have to emphasize that for a good experience with this game, an extra circle pad is a MUST. The experience was much more crisp and smooth on the Wii U visually and physically. I also got a hang of the controls much easier (maybe due to the extra buttons) and I really enjoyed this version of the game. I made some use of the touch screen on the gamepad too. It got me really intrigued and I'm definitely going to invest in this title. I may pick up the both versions to play with friends at a later time, but I believe it supports online so I'm definitely sold.
Since I'm new to the series, the only other game I've played that seems very similar to it is Phantasy Star Online episodes 1 & 2. I played the hell out of it and it gives me the same vibes, which is a good sign.

You do realize that every single portable monster hunter ever made worked just fine with only one analog stick right?

You do realize the portable monster hunters vastly outnumber console monster hunters, and thus the vast majority of monster hunter games only used one analog stick.

Use the damn camera ai's, thats the sole purpose for their invention when the series was moved to psp.

Monster hunter has the highest entry barrier in gaming. You are going to hear this a lot from people who play monster hunter because we are damn sick of 15 years of noobs throwing the same crap all over the place because they dont know how to play.

Its not the game, its not the platform, its you.

Usually its because of something you just dont know about, the rest fthe time, its just lack of skill.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#103 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

As I mentioned, Idk anything about the previous installments of monster hunter, but as a PLAYER, i can tell you that even though it "works" with one analog, it plays so much better with two. My experience on the Wii U confirmed that. There also seems to be different ways to play on the 3DS so if two analogs isn't for you, then by all means stick with the D-pad or camera AI's. Just sayin...its not for me.

As for not knowing how to play, as well as being new to the series, yes...im going to get upset over the controls because well idk, THEY DONT TELL ME HOW TO PLAY. Again, let me emphasize that I'm not sure if the actual game has a tutorial or not, but the demo did not and with a game with many integrated skills, combos and functions...i simply believe a tutorial is in order. Not all of us are Monster Hunter vets.

Other games do it, so i know I'M not the issue. Further proof of this is that I enjoy'd one version of the game over another. Same game mind you, so if there was an issue with ME...per say, I'm sure it would have arisen on both platforms.

Eventually, as I said earlier, I got a hang of the controls and even discovered that you could do combos. I literally had no idea because there was nothing to tell me that such a thing existed. Button mashing worked at the cost of spending a few potions and other items in the process. Anyway, my point is that the demo was lacking in that department. Other than that, i had a really good time.
Free the pokemon!

#104 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

i felt a bit underwhelmed the first 10 minutes of the demo but once you get the hang of the game its extremely fun

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#105 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

As I mentioned, Idk anything about the previous installments of monster hunter, but as a PLAYER, i can tell you that even though it "works" with one analog, it plays so much better with two. My experience on the Wii U confirmed that. There also seems to be different ways to play on the 3DS so if two analogs isn't for you, then by all means stick with the D-pad or camera AI's. Just sayin...its not for me.
As for not knowing how to play, as well as being new to the series, yes...im going to get upset over the controls because well idk, THEY DONT TELL ME HOW TO PLAY. Again, let me emphasize that I'm not sure if the actual game has a tutorial or not, but the demo did not and with a game with many integrated skills, combos and functions...i simply believe a tutorial is in order. Not all of us are Monster Hunter vets.
Other games do it, so i know I'M not the issue. Further proof of this is that I enjoy'd one version of the game over another. Same game mind you, so if there was an issue with ME...per say, I'm sure it would have arisen on both platforms.
Eventually, as I said earlier, I got a hang of the controls and even discovered that you could do combos. I literally had no idea because there was nothing to tell me that such a thing existed. Button mashing worked at the cost of spending a few potions and other items in the process. Anyway, my point is that the demo was lacking in that department. Other than that, i had a really good time.

Trust me, i know you are going to get upset with the controls and the complete and absolute lack of any instruction. We ALL did at one point. None of us know all the moves for the game. Most of us specialize at most, with only a handful of the weapons, and posess more limited information, or even no information on other weapons. When we want to begin learning a new weapon, first thing we do is head straight for monster hunter wiki, as there are no in game tutorials, or iformation in the book that scratches the complexity of each weapon.

Im just telling you, dont come into a monster hunter thread, knowing you dont know anything about monster hunter, and then making statements about how its supposed to be, or how it MUST be played, or whats wrong with it.

People new to the series have been doing it in every monster hunter thread for over 10 years. Those of us who are series fans, have grown very, very, tired of hearing it all everytime monster hunter is exposed to the masses.

Monster hunter LITERALLY has a strategy or purpose to everything. Trust me, weve heard every complaint or 'problem' hundreds to thousands of times before in every mhthread weve tried to enjoy.... And there is Almost ALWAYS a design mechanic solution in the game.

For example with your experience of the second analog stick being the MUST have solution only demonstrates your inexperience with the game.

Simply put, the games been designed around 1 analog stick camera control for a very long time. This changes things you probably wouldnt even imagine. Monsters have been designed to react to the speed of an ai camera doing a 180, not an analog stick.

The wii u version also includes the camera ai options of the 3ds/psp games... despite having two analog sticks. And i use them over the option of an analog controlled camera when fighting monsters.

Why?

Because it is impossible for the analog stick to scroll fast enough to find a raging monster mid spam before it attacks you again. It was actually one of series fans biggest complaints about tri. The analog camera just didnt seem to be as fast as 'the claw'.

Edited by 3Dude, 22 February 2013 - 02:40 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#106 Dusean17

Dusean17

Blooper

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Fandom:
    PATAPON | LBP | DIGIMON | ZELDA | KIRBY

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Not so sure I can get this game this Summer I want that PS4 badly....

PlayStationUnityampNintendoUnitySingleSi

To visit my Nintendo Channel click the link above, to visit my PlayStation Channel click here.

#107 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Your reasoning makes little sense. I don't care how tired you and every other Monster Hunter fanboy (that's right, i said it, fanboy) is of hearing the same complaints on a thread. If it applies to the game, I'm going to talk about it. That being said, going back to my original point, there is NO reason why there shouldn't be a tutorial.

If anyone has a problem with me speaking my mind, then that's your problem, not mine. It's not like I'm speaking blasphemy.
Free the pokemon!

#108 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

A block of text was here.

When a game fails to make the player make sense of it's controls through a tutorial or through actual gameplay, that is the fault of the game. Just because the mass has gotten used a flaw doesn't mean it's not a flaw anymore... it just means the mass has looked past it. For the demo, the first look into a game new players have hands on, to ignore a newer audience base.. that's awful.

That being said, that was his opinion based off the demo as a new player being introduced to a game without guidance, giving advice to other players who may have an issue with this. New players shouldn't have to go on a Wikipedia to learn to play the game. You're speaking through the lenses of elitism.

#109 DragonChi

DragonChi

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Fandom:
    Diablo and Zelda

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

When a game fails to make the player make sense of it's controls through a tutorial or through actual gameplay, that is the fault of the game. Just because the mass has gotten used a flaw doesn't mean it's not a flaw anymore... it just means the mass has looked past it. For the demo, the first look into a game new players have hands on, to ignore a newer audience base.. that's awful.

That being said, that was his opinion based off the demo as a new player being introduced to a game without guidance, giving advice to other players who may have an issue with this. New players shouldn't have to go on a Wikipedia to learn to play the game. You're speaking through the lenses of elitism.

This is PRECISELY what my close friend warned me about. Which has scared me off of buying this game. He also told me that the difficulty is similar to Dark Souls.

#110 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

So I have a few questions, because Ive never played a monster hunter game before so this demo was a first for me. But I had 2 questions

Does this game have a lock-on/targeting system? Because I couldnt find one and it made fighting that evil bunny quite difficult :P

Are there more attacks than just the stab, over the head swinging motion, and the half spin swing. (my descriptions are very bad but I cant think of another way to word it :P )

#111 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

So I have a few questions, because Ive never played a monster hunter game before so this demo was a first for me. But I had 2 questions

Does this game have a lock-on/targeting system? Because I couldnt find one and it made fighting that evil bunny quite difficult :P

Are there more attacks than just the stab, over the head swinging motion, and the half spin swing. (my descriptions are very bad but I cant think of another way to word it :P )

I can't seem to find that AI camera 3dude was talking about. I even looked in the options. There should be a lock on system too, i swear i've seen it on the psp one i played once before. And yeah i think there are only 3 attacks for every weapon, so it would be a weak, medium and strong attack, and i think you can combo them in different ways, but THAT im not so sure of.

wow..i was just looking up stuff about the lock on feature and it sounds really crappy. Apparently, you can lock on, but the camera isn't automated so you need to manually track the monster. I think I've seen the lock on button on the bottom of the touch screen(3ds version), but it doesn't actually lock-on. Idk..i need to run more tests with this stuff. I seem to have an awful amount of complaints, but the game still feels fun. Unfortunately, i found out that it does not support circle pad pro. If you want to read more about it, this review has some good information: http://www.ign.com/a...ter-3-ultimate.
Free the pokemon!

#112 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

You do realize that every single portable monster hunter ever made worked just fine with only one analog stick right?
You do realize the portable monster hunters vastly outnumber console monster hunters, and thus the vast majority of monster hunter games only used one analog stick.
Use the damn camera ai's, thats the sole purpose for their invention when the series was moved to psp.
Monster hunter has the highest entry barrier in gaming. You are going to hear this a lot from people who play monster hunter because we are damn sick of 15 years of noobs throwing the same crap all over the place because they dont know how to play.
Its not the game, its not the platform, its you.
Usually its because of something you just dont know about, the rest fthe time, its just lack of skill.

Partially agree with you. Sure, whenever I go back to play games of the Nes/snes/genesis era, I am really having a hard time beating them, even though I beat most of the games when I was a 10 year old kid. On one side the games were just much harder, less savegames, no tutorials and almost no textscreens. On the other hand we gamers have been made lazy. They did however lack some of the gameplay mechanics we have nowadays, like dual stick control, but what they did very good is build up the difficulty and while doing that slowly letting players learn more and more about its mechanics. I too believe that games have become too easy, too much textscreens explaining the game and much to long tutorial episodes before the actual gaming can begin. The funfactor is missing for me if I first have to do a 1 hour tutorial. Nintendo does these things very well the Zelda series.

A missing second stick though is one of the main complaints of the MH gamers. I have read so many reviews of the PSP versions and time an time again the writers and commenters say that the game would benefit from a second stick. So with this I mean that a game should not be harder because of bad camerawork, bad ai or bugs and also not from bad directional input. I'm not saying MH 3ds version is bad but just understand the previous poster when he's saying he has trouble with the camera. That has nothing to do with skill.

Edited by Lupaie, 21 February 2013 - 09:29 PM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#113 Scizor

Scizor

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Read the digital manual, guys. It has the controls for all weapons.

#114 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hey, I just tested the lock-on feature (I was doing it wrong before =[). You can't lock on to the local wildlife, but you can lock on to the boss of every mission? When you hit the lock on button at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, you'll be locked on and the button will now have a locked on symbol on it. Now when the camera gets disoriented by your movements, just tap L to recenter it on the monster.It's not the best, but it's still a hell of a lot better than fighting him the other way @_@. I still can't beat this bunny though.

Edited by Demon Lord, 21 February 2013 - 09:37 PM.

Free the pokemon!

#115 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

It has nothing to do with opinions, it has to do with common sense and pattern recognition.

There has NEVER been a monster hunter that has met what you expected out of this game.

and... I am allowed to increase my expectations, this is bieng released on the wiiU and falls below in several areas what I would expect.

People who like the series, DONT HAVE THOSE EXPECTATIONS, those have those expectations, dont stick with the series.

Once again I like the series (like many) and have the expectations your saying I can't have. I'm not the only one who is annoyed by an obvious cheap port with little effort present (whether I am in the minority is irrelevant, there are others). Ignoring anyone who fells displeased with some of what they have seen and writing them of clearly as not fans means of course in your eyes now fan is disappointed (as anyone who is is by your definition not a fan).

You might like screens of monster hunter, you might think you like the concept of monster hunter, or the idea of monster hunter. But its just very very apparant you dont like monster hunter from actually PLAYING monster hunter. Which is why you think it should be something its simply not.

As above, I am a fan have played several of the games and fell let down by what we have been shown. That is fact and nothing you can say can change that.

I simply think the port should be done properly, the fact that it is a lazy port is what I am not happy about. I am not disappointed gameplay wise with what we have seen. Stop assuming you know what other people do and do not like. As you simply do not.

#116 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

Hey, I just tested the lock-on feature (I was doing it wrong before =[). You can't lock on to the local wildlife, but you can lock on to the boss of every mission? When you hit the lock on button at the bottom right hand corner of the screen, you'll be locked on and the button will now have a locked on symbol on it. Now when the camera gets disoriented by your movements, just tap L to recenter it on the monster.It's not the best, but it's still a hell of a lot better than fighting him the other way @_@. I still can't beat this bunny though.

And there you have it folks, after all the belly aching. Quite a nice improvement over 'the claw', and it doesnt 'slow you down' like analog cameras. (i personally cant believe anyone would complain about not having to use the claw with tri, but thats monster hunter for you, anything for the sake of the hunt).

I never said the game lets you know, or has good instructions, or anything, in fact all ive said is the opposite, it has the highest entry barrier in gaming. Im just saying dont go into a monster hunter thread complaining about them not because we are fanboys who pretend the problems dont exist .... but because WE KNOW they exist. We so freaking know. Just ask questions instead. So much less irritating than hearing the same complaints weve heard for over 10 years now repeated over and over again.

You can also adjust the camera ai in options to automatically swing around after you dodge a boss, adjust whether a single tap centers the camera around you, and a double tap focus's on a selected boss monster or visa versa, a whole slew of camera control options with options both from the psp series and new.

I simply think the port should be done properly, the fact that it is a lazy port is what I am not happy about. I am not disappointed gameplay wise with what we have seen. Stop assuming you know what other people do and do not like. As you simply do not.

Yes, i do. Your complaint makes no sense if you actually play or 'like' monster hunter. For you to feel that way, youd have to think the entire FRANCHISE was lazy. because 99% of the games are 'worse' than the 'lazy port' of monster hunter ultimate by your definition.

Edited by 3Dude, 22 February 2013 - 03:06 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#117 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Yes, i do. Your complaint makes no sense if you actually play or 'like' monster hunter. For you to feel that way, youd have to think the entire FRANCHISE was lazy. because 99% of the games are 'worse' than the 'lazy ports' of monster hunter utimate by your definition.

My expectations for this release does not = my expectations for all the prior games. I'm not going to bother responding to any more of your nonsense regarding this, it's a waste of time.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 22 February 2013 - 03:02 AM.

#118 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

This might be why I'm going to get a Wii U soon. :D

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#119 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

My expectations for this release does not = my expectations for all the prior games. I'm not going to bother responding to any more of your nonsense regarding this, it's a waste of time.

Actually, the way expectations work is it is a measure of expected qualities discerned from previous experiences with the same or similar subject.... so your expectations, if practical and realistic, WOULD BE directly associated with past games. Of course if you dont have those experiences.....

You are right, having unrealistic expectations not demonstrated by any other game in the series, then single handedly pointing this one out is nonsense and a waste of time.

Edited by 3Dude, 22 February 2013 - 04:50 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#120 Lord N

Lord N

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

And there you have it folks, after all the belly aching. Quite a nice improvement over 'the claw', and it doesnt 'slow you down' like analog cameras. (i personally cant believe anyone would complain about not having to use the claw with tri, but thats monster hunter for you, anything for the sake of the hunt).

I never said the game lets you know, or has good instructions, or anything, in fact all ive said is the opposite, it has the highest entry barrier in gaming. Im just saying dont go into a monster hunter thread complaining about them not because we are fanboys who pretend the problems dont exist .... but because WE KNOW they exist. We so freaking know. Just ask questions instead. So much less irritating than hearing the same complaints weve heard for over 10 years now repeated over and over again.

You can also adjust the camera ai in options to automatically swing around after you dodge a boss, adjust whether a single tap centers the camera around you, and a double tap focus's on a selected boss monster or visa versa, a whole slew of camera control options with options both from the psp series and new.

Yes, i do. Your complaint makes no sense if you actually play or 'like' monster hunter. For you to feel that way, youd have to think the entire FRANCHISE was lazy. because 99% of the games are 'worse' than the 'lazy port' of monster hunter ultimate by your definition.

Well guess what? Even if I were to stop MY "belly-aching", it's not going to stop future generations of players from doing the same thing. Do you know why that is? It's because as long as it's an issue, it will be addressed. Whether it's here, or on their website, on a reviewer's site, it doesn't matter. What the hell are forums for if you can't address the good AND the bad? This is NOT just for the sake of Monster Hunter enthusiasts, but for the first timers as well. Any criticism given should be one well noted, not simply disregarded because of its history.

I appreciate the feedback on the camera options. It's extra work on my end, but you take the good with the bad if it's worth it.

As for PendanticGamer, he/she(sorry..idk ><) is absolutely right in his/her judgement in expecting a better put-together port. Honestly, I wouldn't even have to play the previous installments to want the latest upgrades installed onto the ported title. It's called making your buck worth it. Is it wrong to expect results of a higher calibur?And are you completely ruled out if you happen to be new to the series? Depending on your answer...i may or may not choose to respond.
Free the pokemon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!