• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

That's the direction everyone's taking, but from what I gathered from the press release, the only thing that I can find that matches with Watson is SOI.

That's the direction everyone's taking, but from what I gathered from the press release, the only thing that I can find that matches with Watson is SOI.

Soi just stands for silicon on insulator. Thats every processor ever made for decades mate.

Anyways, ibmwatsons clammed up good, and is only offering completely vauge, completely meaningless information now.

Definately caught the attention of nintendo.

This is the work of nda's being enforced.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#62 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

Soi just stands for silicon on insulator. Thats every processor ever made for decades mate.

Anyways, ibmwatsons clammed up good, and is only offering completely vauge, completely meaningless information now.

Definately caught the attention of nintendo.

This is the work of nda's being enforced.

The latest response, they are now just say it's based on a Power Architecture, could be anything. https://twitter.com/...929547842641920

I want to know where this watson rumour started but, everyone seems to sight engadget.

#63 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Here is the official press release:

http://www-03.ibm.co...lease/34683.wss

Armonk, NY, USA - 07 Jun 2011: IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it will provide the microprocessors that will serve as the heart of the new Wii Uโ„ข system from Nintendo. Unveiled today at the E3 trade show, Nintendo plans for its new console to hit store shelves in 2012.

The all-new, Power-based microprocessor will pack some of IBM's most advanced technology into an energy-saving silicon package that will power Nintendo's brand new entertainment experience for consumers worldwide. IBM's unique embedded DRAM, for example, is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience.

Posted Image

IBM's state-of-the-art 300mm chip plant in East Fishkill, N.Y., will be the manufacturing facility for the new game chip the company is building for Nintendo's new game console due to hit store shelves in 2012.

IBM plans to produce millions of chips for Nintendo featuring IBM Silicon on Insulator (SOI) technology at 45 nanometers (45 billionths of a meter). The custom-designed chips will be made at IBM's state-of-the-art 300mm semiconductor development and manufacturing facility in East Fishkill, N.Y.

The relationship between IBM and Nintendo dates to May 1999, when IBM was selected to design and manufacture the central microprocessor for the Nintendo GameCubeโ„ข system. Since 2006, IBM has shipped more than 90 million chips for Nintendo Wii systems.

"IBM has been a terrific partner for many years. We truly value IBM's commitment to support Nintendo in delivering an entirely new kind of gaming and entertainment experience for consumers around the world," said Genyo Takeda, Senior Managing Director, Integrated Research and Development, at Nintendo Co., Ltd.

"We're very proud to have delivered to Nintendo consistent technology advancements for three generations of entertainment consoles," said Elmer Corbin, director, IBM's custom chip business. "Our relationship with Nintendo underscores our unique position in the industry -- how we work together with clients to help them leverage IBM technology, intellectual property and research to drive innovation into their own core products."

Built on the open, scalable Power Architecture base, IBM custom processors exploit the performance and power advantages of proven silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology. The inherent advantages of the technology make it a superior choice for performance-driven applications that demand exceptional, power-efficient processing capability โ€“ from entertainment consoles to supercomputers.

There is contact information on the page. Someone could just ask the guy. I tough Watson was mentioned by IBM itself.

#64 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

There is contact information on the page. Someone could just ask the guy. I tough Watson was mentioned by IBM itself.

It was, three times by ibms lead research and communications engineer chris nays.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#65 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

It was, three times by ibms lead research and communications engineer chris nays.

Can you plz find the source, and link it here?

#66 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Can you plz find the source, and link it here?

Has the internet become this lazy?

Google ibm watson twitter.

Read google result,

'The official twitter feed of IBM Watson . The
account is administered by Chris Nay and
Michael Holmes '

google names of people running twitter account.

Christopher Nay profiles | LinkedIn
wwwโ€‹.linkedin.com/.../ Christopher /Nay
Current: IBM Research Communications
Lead at IBM ; Past: Executive Communications
Lead @ IBM Software Group at ...

Chris nay is the engineer, Micheal Holmes is marketing.

Michael Holmes | LinkedIn
wwwโ€‹.linkedin.com/.../ michael - holmes /.../
2a8
Greater Boston Area - Program Director: IBM
Watson Solutions Marketing
Michael Holmes's Overview. Current.
Program Director; Watson Commercialization
at IBM . Past. Engineering and Sales ...

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#67 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

To me, it seems as if they don't want to say "PowerPC" or "Power7", simply because it is a custom chip. A modified Power7 is not the same thing as a Power7 chip. So, in the first tweets where they say "Power7", they meant it in a loose sense, that it was a custom chip, based on the Power7. And then, when people started to ask if it really is a Power7 chip, they back and say it's a custom Power architecture based chip, which is technically more true.

Edit: They probably won't answer specific questions about the exact chip, I'm quite sure Nintendo wouldn't want that to be revealed. So "Power architecture" is probably as specific as they will be.

Edited by storabajskorven, 21 September 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#68 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

To me, it seems as if they don't want to say "PowerPC" or "Power7", simply because it is a custom chip. A modified Power7 is not the same thing as a Power7 chip. So, in the first tweets where they say "Power7", they meant it in a loose sense, that it was a custom chip, based on the Power7. And then, when people started to ask if it really is a Power7 chip, they back and say it's a custom Power architecture based chip, which is technically more true.

Edit: They probably won't answer specific questions about the exact chip, I'm quite sure Nintendo wouldn't want that to be revealed. So "Power architecture" is probably as specific as they will be.

Bingo. IBM revealed as much.

The wii U CPU is a custom power7.

#69 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Bingo. IBM revealed as much.

The wii U CPU is a custom power7.

Our oppinion and IMB's: Yes

Thehappening's:

Edited by Arkhandar, 21 September 2012 - 05:40 AM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#70 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

Our oppinion and IMB's: Yes

Thehappening's:

LOOL. So true, oh well we'll find out at launch and people who are wrong, that's Team everyone but the happening and Team happening, will be himuliated on this site :P

#71 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

LOOL. So true, oh well we'll find out at launch and people who are wrong, that's Team everyone but the happening and Team happening, will be himuliated on this site :P

I can tell you right now its not three overclocked broadways, and its not a 476fp.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#72 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

I can tell you right now its not three overclocked broadways, and its not a 476fp.

That "three overclocked broadways" is just utter ignorance. Aside from that, the 476fp doesn't even make any sense at all. It doens't draw enough power to even be considered the Wii U's CPU. Don't forget we're dealing with 75W @ peak performance and this thing only does 1.6W...

Posted Image

#73 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

That "three overclocked broadways" is just utter ignorance. Aside from that, the 476fp doesn't even make any sense at all. It doens't draw enough power to even be considered the Wii U's CPU. Don't forget we're dealing with 75W @ peak performance and this thing only does 1.6W...

I think Nintendo is finding a way to balance a good amount of power with low wattage. This will be interesting..

Posted Image

#74 Stormage09

Stormage09

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dexter, Walking Dead

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:46 AM

nobody really knows whats the wii u cpu about, but i have confidence in a company that builds consoles for over 30 years and there must be a reason i dont really see there will be a bottleneck effect between the cpu-gpu they are smarter than that to fall on that mistake, we just should wait and see
Posted Image

#75 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

nobody really knows whats the wii u cpu about, but i have confidence in a company that builds consoles for over 30 years and there must be a reason i dont really see there will be a bottleneck effect between the cpu-gpu they are smarter than that to fall on that mistake, we just should wait and see

I'm still pretty confident it's a POWER 7 CPU. Why else would Nintendo and IBM compare it to Watson?

If it wasn't a POWER 7 CPU then they'd just compared with another supercomputer out there that ran on POWER PC.

People need to get this: IBM broke NDA contracts by saying for 3 times that the Wii U CPU is a custom POWER 7 chip. When they noticed their mistake/contacted by Nintendo, they rolled back on their statments because thay weren't allowed to say anything besides "IBM POWER-based CPU".

And this sounds a lot like that Nintendo/AMD rumor floating around, although that supposed mail could be fake (unlike Watson's official Twitter feed).

Posted Image

#76 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

I'm still pretty confident it's a POWER 7 CPU. Why else would Nintendo and IBM compare it to Watson?

If it wasn't a POWER 7 CPU then they'd just compared with another supercomputer out there that ran on POWER PC.

People need to get this: IBM broke NDA contracts by saying for 3 times that the Wii U CPU is a custom POWER 7 chip. When they noticed their mistake/contacted by Nintendo, they rolled back on their statments because thay weren't allowed to say anything besides "IBM POWER-based CPU".

And this sounds a lot like that Nintendo/AMD rumor floating around, although that supposed mail could be fake (unlike Watson's official Twitter feed).

The twitter feed was accurate. It was IBM telling the public what IBM thought they should know... Until Nintendo frowned.

The and email is fake. First, and tech support would be clueless about the custom wii u gpu architecture. Second because tech support would be provided by Nintendo. Not AMD. Just like it would be not provided by IBM.
The whole thing is laughable. Nintendo is supplying a console that they warranty and support. If something goes wrong, they don't have you call and, IBM, Samsung, etc. you get in touch with Nintendo. Period. And if you know anything about how tech support is run, you know the concept of "that's not in the scope of our service." or "we don't support that." seriously, the ms paint blue "privacy" editing dorsnt help matters. It's not authentic and it's isn't a real and tech support email. There is a great hypothesis going on there. But the email itself is fake.

When the next iPhone comes out, samsung, lg, etc don't have their tech support respond to inquiries about the components they supply. Not only is their NDA, there is simply no customer facing communication. The only communication is between suppliers and the product seller.

It's the exact same with Nintendo.

This was a gullibility test. Nothing more.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 22 September 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#77 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ibm watson just posted it is now only allowed to disclose information from the original 6/11 press release/nintendos released specs.

Emerson Patten @ EmersonPatten 1d
@IBMWatson What information are you
allowed to release about the Wii U CPU
specifications? Besides 45nm Power
based architecture.
View details ยท

IBM Watson
@IBMWatson
@EmersonPatten @Xbicio All available public
chip details from 6/11 press release: ibm.co/
UhGspo

Lol, fear the ninteninjas.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#78 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Teh silliness.

They already broke their NDA.

But in all honesty, it was for the best.

Nintendo is being very Applesque.

They are banking on this system in a huge way.

#79 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Teh silliness.

They already broke their NDA.

But in all honesty, it was for the best.

Nintendo is being very Applesque.

They are banking on this system in a huge way.

The 6/11 public announcement already gives it away.

45 nm process, only two chips IBM has are made on this process, power 7 is one of them.

IBM's special new edram technology. Only one chip IBM has uses this edram, in fact, its what made the chip possible, and thats power 7.

Power 7 8 core is a 562 mm square processor. We know its not 8 core, IBM's next lower end p7 base package is a half socket 4 core. 562/2=281

281 mm squared for a low end 4 core p7 base (uncustomized) package.

IBM is producing the wii u cpu's at their 300mm squared chip manufacturing plant.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#80 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

The 6/11 public announcement already gives it away.

45 nm process, only two chips IBM has are made on this process, power 7 is one of them.

IBM's special new edram technology. Only one chip IBM has uses this edram, in fact, its what made the chip possible, and thats power 7.

Power 7 8 core is a 562 mm square processor. We know its not 8 core, IBM's next lower end p7 base package is a half socket 4 core. 562/2=281

281 mm squared for a low end 4 core p7 base (uncustomized) package.

IBM is producing the wii u cpu's at their 300mm squared chip manufacturing plant.

Even IBM it self said that the 6/11 public announcement had all our answers.

So that's basically it...
  • POWER 7 CPU
  • Quad Core @ 45nm
  • Clocked between 2.4 Ghz (min.) and 3.1 Ghz (max. being slightly lower clocked, according to the Tekken guy)
  • L3 Cache ("lots of EDRAM" according to IBM press release), which gives us 16MB EDRAM (4MB per core max.)
Nice!

Edited by Arkhandar, 25 September 2012 - 05:32 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!