Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hey guys, guess what.

My wii U bricked.

So, today started off pretty much like every other day, got up, did some schoolwork, watched some TV, ate breakfast, nothing much. I pretty much decided I wanted to play NSMBU and try to finish it, so I booted my wii U up and signed in. So first I go to the eshop to check out the rayman legends demo, but instead I remember the new update, and decide to let it download in the background. So I just boot up NSMBU and play it. Around an hour later, I watch the credits and go check on the update. The update is now at 25%, (as you can tell, I have slow internet.).

I decide to just leave the wii U on and let it update while i'm doing some stuff. Around 4 hours later, the update hits 74%, and I decide to go back to NSMBU. Of course, i'm just playing levels like usual, when suddenly, mario freezes in mid air. My first reaction is "Oh crap, not another freeze." and I do what I usually do, unplug the system and stick it back in. And I do just that, but this time the worst thing possible could happen, my light turns blue, blinks, then goes back to red.

carp, I just bricked my wii U.

That is the only thing running through my mind.

I run into our kitchen and tell my dad that my wii U isn't turning on, and he and my mom walk in to check out the system. I show them the blinking blue death light and they tell me to call nintendo. So I grab my phone and ring them up. On the other line, I get surprisingly fast and great service, something i'm not used to on most customer service lines. so +1 for you nintendo. They ask me for info and such, and within 3 minutes I get a packing slip on my email and instructions, I thank the man and ask him about my data, NSMBU disc, and NNID, he says "They will all be transferred to a new console if your current one is un-fixable and the disc will be sent back to you."

So right now, I just packed up my wii U, ready to ship.

Of course i'm insanely bummed out, but at the same time happy i'll be getting this fixed for free.

Anyone else got their consoles bricked? If so, how was your system when it returned? Was everything back to normal?

And why wouldn't nintendo do anything to fix this? All they give out is a short warning. Seriously, imagine kids on christmas morning bricking their wii U on accident? This is just cray cray.

-abcdude

Edited by Abcdude, 13 December 2012 - 09:09 PM.

794144.png?13383682

#2 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

You can basically brick anything while there's a firmware update going on. That's just how technology is these days. But anyway, at least your problem is solved. :)

#3 reef7009

reef7009

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

Sorry to hear about this. Hope it gets a speedy fix. What update was u downloading? Is there another new update??

#4 linners84

linners84

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

That sucks. :(

NNID - linners84     

3DS Friend Code - 5129 0547 8683

#5 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

welcome to the club :s...

my wii u bricked for no reason first the update wouldn't want to install then the day after i wanted to play so i turned it on and there was the blue light that blinked for a sec (then it shuts off), i sent it to nintendo and they still got it , hope i get it soon (or a new one)

and sry about ur wii u

#6 PorkNBeans

PorkNBeans

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

That's one thing I always give Nintendo credit for, their customer service is by far the best I've ever had to deal with bar none. I had to return a Nintendo DS for a dead pixel twice and both times I actually received a DS in the mail with a return box for my busted DS (yes they actually mailed me a new one before I sent mine in). I paid for nothing out of my pocket which was fantastic as I shouldn't have to, Same thing happened with my 3DS with same results.

I've dealt with Microsoft customer service and it was also pretty good when I needed the original Xbox repaired (my 360 never crapped out and I got mine at launch, I considered myself to be one of the very few lucky first gen 360 owners) but my gripe with them was back in the past when I wanted to cancel my Xbox Live service I had to re-register a different name to use the silver service, It's been years and there is something I am forgetting but I just remember I couldn't use the silver service because it wouldn't activate for 2 weeks after cancelling. I'm not sure if that has changed but I thought that was some bull that they restricted me from using that username on my 360 for 2 weeks. I loved my 360 but I ended up trading it in after not being able to play multiplayer games without having to shell out more money to their Live service, I'm a PC gamer and lifelong gamer & I don't think I should have to pay for a service just to play the online portion when on every single other console and on the PC the multiplayer is included in the game price but that is a whole different story.

As for Sony, their customer service is by far the worst & don't get me wrong I absolutely love my PS3 but when I signed up to test their music service I wasn't impressed and I cancelled it but it was never cancelled on their end for whatever reason. When I saw the charge the following month on my credit card bill (the very same day it was charged) I asked them to cancel it and refund me since it was the first day of service (first of the month) I should be credited. They flat out refused and I was stuck having t pay for something I wasn't going to use for a month. I also had to manually cancel it again in my PS3 but hidden deep within the account options, real stupid way of doing this instead of just having a cancel on the service itself but I knew where it was regardless because I had cancelled during the free demo period which I explained to the Customer Service representative on the other end of the line. They didn't care, they flat out refused to credit me in the end.

This is the reason why I have always praised Nintendo's customer service, I always feel like I'm valued as a customer. That's how it should be and it's the only reason I don't take the yearly insurance option when buying a system or handheld when I purchase a new Nintendo product because I know the warranty with Nintendo is more than enough.

Am I fan of Nintendo? Yes absolutely I grew up with the system from day one and I'm a gamer but I'm far from a blind fanboy who will defend their moves if it is a bad move or dumb move. I was one of the biggest critics of the Wii when they didn't include HD. I don't need games to be graphically superior but i expect them to be on par with the standard that is out at the time so i feel I had a right to be a little ticked but without a doubt I'm a huge fan of how they handle customer's. The only system not in my entertainment system is a 360, the experience with their customer service made sure I would never buy another Microsoft system along with being forced into paying for a service I don't want when all I want is to be able to play the online portion of the games I bought & I play my FPS games on my PC so makes no sense to own their system since Fabel imho sucked but I did love Forza. I've never had issues with Sony hardware so they will always have me coming back to buyt heir systems but never on day one because of the outrageous pricing they always put on their systems.

#7 Dan1984uk

Dan1984uk

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Sorry to hear about your Wii U breaking I hope you get one sent back to you asap.

#8 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

these things shouldn't happen in this day and age when a new console launches,

Actually, I've heard this is common throughout hardware these days. Mainly the reason it says not to turn the system off and etc.

#9 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Doesn't the PS3 have a function to revert back to previous firmware or something? I thought I heard it being able to do that which solved issues like this on the PS3.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#10 Zonark

Zonark

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

CUD it doesn't have a firmware revert. its only for failed hdds. firmware is store in another location. If the same issues was to happen on a ps3 you would have a new ps3 grill

#11 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

Actually, I've heard this is common throughout hardware these days. Mainly the reason it says not to turn the system off and etc.

only when u turn a system off during installation not the download process

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

You are way to calm about this.You need.to vent some of.that frusteration.

You want i should bust up some mail boxes for you?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 rombat

rombat

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I never play games while any of my consoles are doing update, especially the Wii U... Last two updates I just leave it alone until it gets done.

#14 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Is this an issue when other systems have an update?

#15 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Sorry to hear you got a bricked system, but nice to see Nintendo was quick to help you out.

Whenever there's a firmware update, I just let it update and don't do anything with my system until it's done, which takes about an hour or two.

Edited by SDDMN, 14 December 2012 - 10:53 AM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#16 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, I guess it was both partys' faults... Theirs for having a game that crashes (actually, NSMBU has never crashed for me) and, in turn, causes you to unplug the console, and yours for doing just that -- unplugging it. It's probably a good idea to just let your console update and leave it alone from now on. :)

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#17 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, I guess it was both partys' faults... Theirs for having a game that crashes (actually, NSMBU has never crashed for me) and, in turn, causes you to unplug the console, and yours for doing just that -- unplugging it. It's probably a good idea to just let your console update and leave it alone from now on. :)

Nope, this is entirely Nintendos fault as if there is ANY risk of the console bricking due to crashing or powering down during DOWNLOADING an update, they should be taking all precautions, just like the PS3 and Xbox 360 do.

I disagree that it should necessary though, it SHOULD be possible to download in the background and then install later.

Its worth noting, both PS3 and Xbox 360 updates can be downloaded to a USB stick on the PC and then updated that way. So CLEARLY there is no good reason to not be able to download in the background.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#18 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

only when u turn a system off during installation not the download process

Correct.

#19 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

To anyone saying this was all my fault:
Posted Image

This is what it says exactly, System Freezes Unexpectedly While In Use | Wii U - Console

So really, I was screwed two ways, let a system sit there frozen and let it brick itself, or unplug the system and brick it. Stuff sucks.

794144.png?13383682

#20 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Well that sucks but at least Ninty are helping you out :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!