Photo

How the Wii U will handle against the new Consoles?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#101 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Evergreen cards are the 5000 series e6760 Is turks. (which, admittedly, is just a barely tweaked e5760 evergreen).

People arent saying its a 7xx chip, just that its a custom made derivitive (just like evergreen and turks are) of the chip line. With as much time spent in development for nintendo as it has, no one really expects it to resemble a baseline r7xx, or the 4xxx card series. That just takes too long to say.

You might as well be asking the difference in goku vs freiza levels.

There is SOOOOO much going on between ps2 and xbox that you cant even begin to use them as a baseline for anything else.

Thanks, but I already know the diff between the turks and evergreen gpu's;and though I'm not a very tech savyy person I could see it more in line with the turks for the features it shows. I wasn't refering to anyone here on the forums regarding the r7xxx series. I was talking about fanboys in GAF and VGC etc spouting all this bull$hit about the Wii U only having an R7xxx series GPU (still better than 360's R5xxx but that's not the point) when all facts points to a more advanced and newer GPU like the turks or even evergreen. I'm glad I had met you, since you understand that the 750 found on the Wii U is not the typical ppc750 but a highly modified one. People can't seem to understand that!!! I am pretty sure that Nintendo planned to use the PWR7 CPU; but saw that they could get near the results they wanted by implementing GPGPU on a highly modified 750 design with PWR7 featured architecture. I really wish that Nintendo made it a quad-core though and boosted the RAM to at least 3GB but that ship has sailed. Regardless games like NanoAssult and Trine2 looks great on the Wii U and really showcases what the system can do this early of a stage.

#102 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Like... explain.

How many of you have actually taken a good look at nintendo land? Beyond the cuddly minimalistic art style?

Take Zelda adventure for example. On the surface it seems pretty simplistic cartoony. environments are made out of painted cardboard props, enemies cloth and wood dolls. Screenshots seem to tell the whole story. Nothing much going on.

What screenshots dont show is real time displacement map/tesselation.

When you swing your sword at an enemy in nintendo land, you slice the cloth open. The cloth splits along a cut precicely as long as your blade made contact with the enemy, the cloth splits open and peels back, (and a simple but effective stuffing falling out asset is placed on it.)

But it doesnt end there, slices can interact with each other in real time. Place corresponding slashes at the right angles, and the rips may 'join together' into larger tears.

This uses real time displacement mapping, whenever the blade makes contact with the enemy texture it 'records' the path and size on a displacement map layer, then animates user inputted variable, runs an ai for whether multiple slashes interact, and applies the displacement map via tesselation, subdividing the polygons on the surface of the asset to match the tear made on the displacement map.

Its actually a very similar technique to dx11's touted water displacement/tesselation feature. Its just not doing water.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#103 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

How many of you have actually taken a good look at nintendo land? Beyond the cuddly minimalistic art style?

Take Zelda adventure for example. On the surface it seems pretty simplistic cartoony. environments are made out of painted cardboard props, enemies cloth and wood dolls. Screenshots seem to tell the whole story. Nothing much going on.

What screenshots dont show is real time displacement map/tesselation.

When you swing your sword at an enemy in nintendo land, you slice the cloth open. The cloth splits along a cut precicely as long as your blade made contact with the enemy, the cloth splits open and peels back, (and a simple but effective stuffing falling out asset is placed on it.)

But it doesnt end there, slices can interact with each other in real time. Place corresponding slashes at the right angles, and the rips may 'join together' into larger tears.

This uses real time displacement mapping, whenever the blade makes contact with the enemy texture it 'records' the path and size on a displacement map layer, then animates user inputted variable, runs an ai for whether multiple slashes interact, and applies the displacement map via tesselation, subdividing the polygons on the surface of the asset to match the tear made on the displacement map.

Its actually a very similar technique to dx11's touted water displacement/tesselation feature. Its just not doing water.

yeah its funny most of neogaf went from yeah nintendoland is doing things ps360 cant.... to no its not its pretty plain and simple lot of "faked" techniques to make it look the way it does.

#104 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

In my opinion, this is the safest generation that Nintendo has ever been in. From what I understand, with all the new comer consoles (OUYA, Steambox, Nvidia Project Shield..) and the other 2 big guns, It will be more or less an even playing field amongst all of them. With noticable, yet small differences. Console archecture this gen is now more to do with stability and resourcefulness. With a slight graphics push. Nintendo is looking pretty good.

As we all know, Ninty has its AAA first party titles that print all kinds of money for them. In addition, the mechanic potential that the Gamepad brings to the table is enticing to a lot of developers and gamers alike. It is a slow start right now, but once this snowball starts rolling, watch this system bloom with flying colors. I dont think they have anything to worry about.

I agree with you that Nintendo isnt in any danger. However IOS systems can never stack up to real consoles.

Wii wasn't even in the same ball park as ps360. It just didn't have modern enough architecture. To run the engine the way they were developed(talking graphics here). You see games like modern warfare reflux on Wii it was the exact same game as the one on ps360 it was just ugly as Wii GPU didn't have the modern graphic techniques to make the game look all shiny and pretty. Wii U will be in same ball park as ps4 and 720 I'm willing to bet that the Wii U GPU was customized to have dx11 "FEATURES" which is what ps4 and 720 will have also just more powerful chips. I'm not an expert but majority have put Wii U as 3-4 MAX beyond ps360 and ps4720 3-4 MAX beyond Wii U. Anyone thinking this is remotely close to a Wii vs ps360 situation doesn't know a thing about tech. Also don't get down over the supposedly weak Wii U CPU... Not true even a little bit. Read through the BS fanboys try and throw out their to make Wii U look bad.ANY developer that claims Wii U isn't powerful enough to get a next gen port I call BS and it shows me how Incompetent that dev is and I wouldn't want his/her game anyway. Wii U won't get big 3rd party support because Nintendo is looked at as a family friendly company and most publisher don't think their is anaudience and their game wouldn't sell well on the platform... End of story.

Again I most quote this post. Nintendo is becoming a better candidate for third party content and saying no one wants involved is a false assumption.

Signature_DK.png

#105 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

This is supposedly the real specs of the new xbox
http://thewiiu.com/t...l-leaked-specs/

I've asked in the topic and i will repeat here the same question, these specs are in a new level compared to the older rumours about the new xbox? with this it still a more even gen compared to the seventh, so i'm curious about this

#106 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

I agree with you that Nintendo isnt in any danger. However IOS systems can never stack up to real consoles.
Again I most quote this post. Nintendo is becoming a better candidate for third party content and saying no one wants involved is a false assumption.

Where is grand theft auto? Proof is in the pudding... Actual games announced and showed off.

#107 DragonChi

DragonChi

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Fandom:
    Diablo and Zelda

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I assume your last statement was about the OUYA. You should know that despite it's size, It actually has a moderately decent package inside. Have a read here:

http://www.penny-arc...home-console-fr

"The Android-based OUYA has a quadcore Tegra 3 processor, 1 GB of DDR3 RAM, and 8 GB of onboard flash storage. It will support Bluetooth 4.0 and WiFi 802.11 b/g/n protocols. It has a maximum resolution output of 1080p."

#108 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I applaud Nintendo for including 32mb of eDRAM as this is an expensive ultra fast memory which even Microsoft are equaling as having 32mb SRAM in the 720. SRAM is more expensive, DRAM higher density.

This makes the me think Nintendo put more money and thought into the actual console than we all think. Maybe the quotes of Nintendo saying they don't make a profit until a game is bought is true?

If someone with more knowledge can correct me on this, feel free.

#109 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Where is grand theft auto? Proof is in the pudding... Actual games announced and showed off.

If proof is pudding then Im the jellomaster.

Signature_DK.png

#110 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

I applaud Nintendo for including 32mb of eDRAM as this is an expensive ultra fast memory which even Microsoft are equaling as having 32mb SRAM in the 720. SRAM is more expensive, DRAM higher density.

This makes the me think Nintendo put more money and thought into the actual console than we all think. Maybe the quotes of Nintendo saying they don't make a profit until a game is bought is true?

If someone with more knowledge can correct me on this, feel free.

Sram has lower latency, edram like you said, has higher density.

however.... the edram caches in the wii u cpu (not the 32Mb you were talking about), utilize ibm's newish edram technology. Bussed six ways per cell, each cell acts like six transistor sram (6tsram, the cube and wii was often praised for its 1tsram caches). This is a new technology that is what made power7 possible, and is directly responsible for power7's high performance, allowing the 1.2 billion transistor processor to perform equivilant to a 2.6+ billion transistor processor. And likely the source of ibm's power 7 comments. It is likely this technology is what allowed the 750 series to gain coherency between multiple cores, and is absolutely necessary in matching the wii's low sram latency for bc.

Edited by 3Dude, 23 January 2013 - 05:21 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#111 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

After today's Direct... no-one stands a chance to Nintendo.
No sig.

#112 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

http://kotaku.com/59...ve-specs-so-far

We'll begin with the specs. And before we go any further, know that these are current specs for a PS4 development kit, not the final retail console itself. So while the general gist of the things you see here may be similar to what makes it into the actual commercial hardware, there's every chance some—if not all of it—changes, if only slightly.

That being the case, here's what we know is inside PS4 development kits—model # DVKT-KS000K—as of January 2013. As you'll see, some things have changed since earlier kits became available in March 2012.

System Memory: 8GB

Video Memory: 2.2 GB

CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)

GPU: AMD R10xx

Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet

Drive: Blu-Ray

HDD: 160GB

Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

If you think the HDD is small, remember, these are the specs for a machine that developers are using to make games on, not the console you'll own and be storing media on. And don't worry about having two ethernet ports; as this is a dev kit, one is there for local sharing/testing purposes.

Interestingly, while some of these specs (such as the 8x core CPU) match with those reported by Digital Foundry only a few days ago, others like the RAM (DF reported 4GB of GDDR5, while we've heard 8GB) differ.

#113 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

http://kotaku.com/59...ve-specs-so-far

LOL...sure and the system will cost $600 again. C'mon 2.2GB seperate video memory (256MB embeded according to someone hyping this up...lol) and 8GB GDDR5 system RAM is not gonna come from Sony. The company right now is in financial turmoil; and doubt they could afford to out do MS in the specs dept. I will believe it when I see it is my motto for Sony and MS's new systems. Rumors for them are just a joke.

#114 IPADDRESSROBOT

IPADDRESSROBOT

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

THERE IS NO NEW CONSOLES THERE COMPUTERS AND SONY PLAYSTATION IS DEAD SO THERE TRYING TO CON THE PUBLIC WITH A BRANDED LINUX PC LOL

THERE IS NO COMPETITION NINTENDO WON ALREADY MAYBE APPLE ONE DAY LOL

#115 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Oh joy, the happening is back.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#116 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

can i just congratulate whoever made the slot loading mechanism for the disk drive in the wii u it is the single smoothest disk drive i've ever used.

Admittedly that was the first thing I noticed when I got it running... Is that a bad sign?

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#117 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Admittedly that was the first thing I noticed when I got it running... Is that a bad sign?

if the first thing you notice is the oen of the first things that happen, no.

#118 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

if the first thing you notice is the oen of the first things that happen, no.

Good, good. I just thought other people might have been admiring the gamepad or something hahaha

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#119 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

THERE IS NO NEW CONSOLES THERE COMPUTERS AND SONY PLAYSTATION IS DEAD SO THERE TRYING TO CON THE PUBLIC WITH A BRANDED LINUX PC LOL

THERE IS NO COMPETITION NINTENDO WON ALREADY MAYBE APPLE ONE DAY LOL

Mourn! Come ban him again!

Signature_DK.png

#120 currysonic

currysonic

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

I think this time around it will be Services will define this generation. For example, virtual consol, miiverse, xbox live, PSN store, Home, cloud saves to list a few. And of course the library. I honestly hope Nintendo gets a good 3rd party support this time around for consols. DS has GREAT 3rd party games, but I think piracy really killed them off which was a shame.

(RIP Cing, I do admit I am guilting of having an R4. I wish I had the chance to support Cing back then by ACTUALLY buying Hotel Dusk). I hope small 3ds developers does not suffer the same fate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!