Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

Oh right! Retro was doing a Wii U game, weren't they?

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#63 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Oh right! Retro was doing a Wii U game, weren't they?

Maybe even 2!

Edited by TheSparrow87, 27 February 2013 - 04:23 AM.

#64 mii-gamer

mii-gamer

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Working on two games at the same time: Metroid and starfox..... Just my guess

#65 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

There goes my dreams that this game will show the Wii U's visually capable of next gen photo-realism :(

Still I'm very intrigued about hand painted look and hopefully it's a new IP, but please, please, please may it not be what's considered another "kiddy" IP :( The one time Nintendo need a game to attract 360 nuts and the one studio I trust to do it and the art style screams uncertainty, especially at trying to prove that Nintendo can handle Unreal 4 like graphics

Edited by Penguin101, 28 February 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#66 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

POPULAR

There goes my dreams that this game will show the Wii U's visually capable of next gen photo-realism :(
Still I'm very intrigued about hand painted look and hopefully it's a new IP, but please, please, please may it not be what's considered another "kiddy" IP :( The one time Nintendo need a game to attract 360 nuts and the one studio I trust to do it and the art style screams uncertainty, especially at trying to prove that Nintendo can handle Unreal 4 like graphics

*sigh* kids....

1. 'Hand painted textures' does not mean remotely anything close to what you think it does.

2. All textures in all three prime games were 'hand painted' by retros texture artists.

Posted Image

This is 2d digital handpainted By Rick Kohler (former retro texture artist) with photoshop/maya.

3. There is NOTHING realistic about Primes art style aside from the fact its not cell shaded. Prime is pure over the top sci fi fantastical, naughty dogs uncharted is NOT. Thats it.

4. Unreal 4 is an engine, that has NOTHING to do with art style. You can make cartoony looking unreal games.

Edited by 3Dude, 28 February 2013 - 05:44 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#67 bigbadwolfe911

bigbadwolfe911

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Well I was surprised nobody mentioned Earthbound (aka Mother), I know it is not likely but how great would it be to finally bring this great game back to life? And with the Earthbound release on Japan VC, makes me hope they are working on something. I would not be surprised to finally see Earthbound on US VC along with announcement of new game, but while I say I would not be surprised, I would be overcome with joy as the first and only US game is by far the best gaming experience I have ever had. And with the Wii U a revival could be spectacular, I can't wait to use my Controlpad as camera with the touchscreen as the viewfinder to document my next journey with Ness.

But if it's not Earthbound then I would hope for a new Starfox Adventure game, loved the Gamecube adventure game. 

#68 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

*sigh* kids....

1. 'Hand painted textures' does not mean remotely anything close to what you think it does.

2. All textures in all three prime games were 'hand painted' by retros texture artists.

metroid-wii-u-640x353.jpg

This is 2d digital handpainted By Rick Kohler (former retro texture artist) with photoshop/maya.

3. There is NOTHING realistic about Primes art style aside from the fact its not cell shaded. Prime is pure over the top sci fi fantastical, naughty dogs uncharted is NOT. Thats it.

4. Unreal 4 is an engine, that has NOTHING to do with art style. You can make cartoony looking unreal games.

Ahhhhhhh Ok.

Just heard there could be two games coming? I hope one is a Metroid and the other is a really unique platform game with a similar sense of humor to the Cave with a visual feel cross between Trine 2 and Abe's Oddysee. Both to have really top notch gamepad gameplay in different and unique ways

Edited by Penguin101, 01 March 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#69 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Ahhhhhhh Ok.

Just heard there could be two games coming? I hope one is a Metroid and the other is a really unique platform game with a similar sense of humor to the Cave with a visual feel cross between Trine 2 and Abe's Oddysee. Both to have really top notch gamepad gameplay in different and unique ways

Im thinking the second one is donky kong country 3d, ported by retros new second team.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#70 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Nintendo doesn't really need new ips, but they need to do things with the ones that haven't been seen ina while. Where's my 1080 Snowboarding in 1080p?

I want that but not Retro. No they shouldn't do that game.

Star Fox, Zelda or new IP. I don't know Metroid probably but I don't want them working on a Metroid game. But like someone else said whatever they make I'm buying.

But for the love of God, don't let it be called Super Happy Fun. Am I the only one who remembers that code name for a game they were working on?
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#71 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

MorbidGod, on 01 Mar 2013 - 13:51, said:I want that but not Retro. No they shouldn't do that game.

Star Fox, Zelda or new IP. I don't know Metroid probably but I don't want them working on a Metroid game. But like someone else said whatever they make I'm buying.

But for the love of God, don't let it be called Super Happy Fun. Am I the only one who remembers that code name for a game they were working on?

Eh? I know Nestor Hernandez was a producer at Super Happy Fun fun before coming to Retro Studios. (hes one of the new recruits from the recent expansion. Portfolio is not particularly mind blowing as far as games hes worked on, but he has 11 years experience, this may be the break hes looking for.)

Edited by 3Dude, 02 March 2013 - 06:58 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#72 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

I want that but not Retro. No they shouldn't do that game.

I don't expect them to do 1080 Snowboarding, I just used that as an example of a game that should be made.

They confirmed that it wasn't Zelda, cause they said that they were too busy for that. Star Fox doesn't really fit their style, as they were created to be Nintendo's "mature" developer. That's why a lot of people left after DKCR. I would like to see another Star Fox, but not by Retro.

Can you show me this "Happy Fun Time"? I'm actually intrigued now...

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#73 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I don't expect them to do 1080 Snowboarding, I just used that as an example of a game that should be made.

They confirmed that it wasn't Zelda, cause they said that they were too busy for that. Star Fox doesn't really fit their style, as they were created to be Nintendo's "mature" developer. That's why a lot of people left after DKCR. I would like to see another Star Fox, but not by Retro.

Can you show me this "Happy Fun Time"? I'm actually intrigued now...

I'll try to find it. It was suppose to be there next game but at some point was scrapped.

**Update**

I still can't find it. Maybe I heard it on a board, and it wasn't "official" or something.

Edited by MorbidGod, 02 March 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#74 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Thought this article was interesting http://emilyrogersbl...-wii-u-project/

#75 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

That reminds me of reading an editorial from a guy who worked at Retro back in the GCN days. It's a hard place to work. I think Nintendo, by it's nature, are perfectionists and it makes it hard. Remember, Retro was working on Raven Blade, an NFL Game, some sort of car/shooter game, among others and all of them were cancelled to make sure Retro complete's Metroid.

This is why I don't want them working in a Metroid game. I want them to make an original game. They haven't been allowed to do that, and I think it will help improve things over there.

With that said, I'm not worried about Retro loosing talent. Studios loose employees sometimes. They also get new ones. Retro Studios will always turn out great games. I just hope that one day, if not this year, they can make their own game.

#76 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

While there may be shreds of truths in that article, if I do remember correctly, Emily Rogers is not to be listened to.

#77 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

While there may be shreds of truths in that article, if I do remember correctly, Emily Rogers is not to be listened to.

That's true.

#78 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

What happens if Retro are working on two separate games.... Star-Fox AND Metroid, and like the rumors before the univers cross over in the stories but each game is seperate. For example Star-Fox could use thirds person shooting elements both on ground and in space and will be heavily action orientated.

While Metroid takes on a more (optionally) stealthy first person game where you start of avoiding the conflict in the StarFox universe trying to take down bounties without being spotted, eventually ending Samus up in the thick of it taking out Fox McCloud's enemies who have recently allied with the space pirates from the inside. Of course like Goldeneye/Crysis, you don't HAVE to be stealthy, but it's certainly an option.

IMO that'd kill two birds with one stone and make for one epic storyline spanning across two games with two gameplay and possibly two different art styles.

#79 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

starfox and metroid projects at once are fine. a crossover is a very bad idea

#80 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Just working with what was rumored. Seems Nintendo loves crossovers at the moment what with Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Ace attorney vs Professor Layton to name two. It seems likley with both early rumors about a Mteroid/Starfox crossover AND rumors that Retro are working on something "big" along with other rumors that they're working on two Wii U games. This could be happening.

Edited by Penguin101, 10 March 2013 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!