• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

How does something with better graphics equal a superior version? Surely the one with the best user experience is a superior version? Now maybe if the PS4 version allowed you to use your smartphone as Adam's smartphone it might be cool, or it was the only version available in 3D.

But if you want better graphics get a PC for the same price as a PS4, you'll be able to play games, browse the web, edit videos to share on youtube, write documents, play flash games, get cheaper prices on games. It's the most versatile gaming machine ever.

I admit pretty graphics sometimes plays a great role in immersion, but in the HD era you can't really complain. I remember when I had only a few pixels on screen and my imaginations filled in the blanks.

A PS4 is a GREAT console, but only if the game-play superseeds any other. So far there aren't any games that I see that

1) Wouldn't be achievable on Wii U at a lower frame rate and resolution
2) Wouldn't have a better user experience using the gamepad.

A pc costing the same price as a ps4 would be MAJOR CRAP in comparison,ps4 would DESTROY a pc at the same price point!!

#42 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

A pc costing the same price as a ps4 would be MAJOR CRAP in comparison,ps4 would DESTROY a pc at the same price point!!

Not necessarily I've seen $500 gaming rigs (although in the UK it'd probably cost a lot more <_< dog ham it) completely able to play what the PS4 demos were showing. Hell for $375 I've seen gaming rigs that far out perform the Wii U 360 and PS3 playing the games at 1080p at 60FPS

Edited by Penguin101, 21 February 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#43 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

I'm so glad this is coming to the Wii U, but I'll be getting this on PS4. It will be the graphically superior version, and therefore the better version.

But who knows, maybe my opinion will change between now and then.

It won't be any different graphically, they have to code for the lowest common denominator, and that is PS3.

Not really, the components they used are actually quite cheap when ordered in bulk. It's all commercially available stuff.

#44 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Lol im telling you a pc at the same price point would be complete crap compared to a ps4,your talking a high spec rig to run games that match the footage shown!

#45 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Lol im telling you a pc at the same price point would be complete crap compared to a ps4,your talking a high spec rig to run games that match the footage shown!

And that's the problem with the footage shown. Something like Killzone on a PC would have to be optimized to the moon and back to have the kind of LOD that it showed during the cutscenes run run decently on a 7990X2. That's why I think that pretty much everything other than the UE4 demo (which didn't look nearly as good as deep down or killzone graphically, but is the best and most modern engine available) watchdogs, krant (or whatever it's called) etc are a mix of pre-rendered footage with ten seconds of gameplay footage thrown in, in some cases, it was simply target renders.

My point is, they don't even have hardware to show us, and we know that they made changes to the hardware up to last month (from 4GB to 8GB) do you really think they've already got game code optimized to run on it? Honestly I hope for their sake they can bring it at e3, because if their showing is any less compelling graphically when we see it running on real shipping hardware they won't live it down for a while, and they can't afford to overpromise.

#46 MyNameIsMatt

MyNameIsMatt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

This is genuinely stopping me thinking about swapping a Wii U for a PS4. Will be so good on Wii U.

Edit: Im not thinking about it at the moment, but a few months of no big games then it might of been a possibility.

Edited by MyNameIsMatt, 21 February 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#47 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Called it. I'll get this for Wii U and PS4.
Posted Image

#48 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I'm so happy, definatly getting this on Wii U, gonna do my bit to support 3rd partys :D

#49 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Now for a release date.

#50 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

It will be the graphically superior version, and therefore the better version.

Posted Image

#51 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Now for a release date.

Well Soul my good friend there is a very simple formula to determine the release date... first take the competitor console release date and add 8 months

#52 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

It won't be any different graphically, they have to code for the lowest common denominator, and that is PS3.

Actually, it appears the game was originally coded for high-end platforms. Looks like Wii U, PS3 and 360 will be downports. Hopefully, Ubisoft will pull a Criterion and put the Wii U's extra capabilities to good use and make it stand out quite nicely from the PS3/360 versions.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=48028951

Sony was able to rely on the copious presentation of Watch_Dogs, a Ubisoft game, during the conference. The game is also scheduled on PS3 and Xbox 360, for which generation was the game originally designed? PS4 to PS3, or the opposite?

Today Watch_Dogs is a game created on next-gen consoles. It's then ported on other machines. We will seek the power of the new generation, then ask other teams to try to incorporate those elements in the current consoles.

Edited by Crispy Bacon, 21 February 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Posted Image

#53 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Actually, it appears the game was originally coded for high-end platforms. Looks like Wii U, PS3 and 360 will be downports. Hopefully, Ubisoft will pull a Criterion and put the Wii U's extra capabilities to good use and make it stand out quite nicely from the PS3/360 versions.

http://m.neogaf.com/....php?p=48028951

Not sure if serious. They won't need to downport the Wii U version at all if it is built for this generation first. If you mean they'll need to optimize it for the Wii U memory architecture then yes, but graphically, the PS4 is not the great leap ahead that you think it is.

#54 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

ill def. buy this for the U, gotta give that third party support mane

#55 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Not sure if serious. They won't need to downport the Wii U version at all if it is built for this generation first. If you mean they'll need to optimize it for the Wii U memory architecture then yes, but graphically, the PS4 is not the great leap ahead that you think it is.

When you say "this generation", are you referring to Wii/360/PS3 or Wii U/PS4/720? We're in a transitional phase, so I just want to make sure I understand you correctly before I respond.
Posted Image

#56 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

When you say "this generation", are you referring to Wii/360/PS3 or Wii U/PS4/720? We're in a transitional phase, so I just want to make sure I understand you correctly before I respond.

This generation being the 8th. As in, if they build for Wii U/720/PS4 they will not be "downporting" you're just labeling the process based on your prejudice. The Wii U is perfectly capable of doing the same things graphically the PS4 will be able to do but in a different way, simply based on their memory architecture and utilizing whatever dedicated metal the Wii U has for certain shader operations. They both have very capable GPGPU's, and will both hold up quite nicely as the generation progresses.

#57 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

This generation being the 8th. As in, if they build for Wii U/720/PS4 they will not be "downporting" you're just labeling the process based on your prejudice. The Wii U is perfectly capable of doing the same things graphically the PS4 will be able to do but in a different way, simply based on their memory architecture and utilizing whatever dedicated metal the Wii U has for certain shader operations. They both have very capable GPGPU's, and will both hold up quite nicely as the generation progresses.

My prejudice? Yves Guillemot is pretty much saying that's exactly what they're doing.

Today Watch_Dogs is a game created on next-gen consoles. It's then ported on other machines. We will seek the power of the new generation, then ask other teams to try to incorporate those elements in the current consoles.

Everything we've seen of this game has been running on high-end PC hardware. The first demo from last year's E3 was running on hardware more powerful than what the PS4 is housing. Yves said they developed the game for high-end tech, so, yes, there will be downporting to some degree, especially with the PS3/360 versions. If Ubisoft takes the time to really tweak this game to take advantage of Wii U, I can see it looking much better than the 360/PS3 versions. However, I don't think it will quite match the PS4/720 versions. Even so, I think they can get it very close and sacrifice very little in the process. PS4's specs are obviously higher than Wii U's, so I expect the PS4 version to show off more bells and whistles, but not too much. Ultimately, any version that is not PC will be a downport to some degree.
Posted Image

#58 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

The ps4 will exceed OC graphics for a couple years.

The reason?

Gpu. The thing is sweet. Most pcs wont have this level of gpu for a while. And it's been upgraded.
Plus, it's dedicated. No OC overhead.

In addition, game makers will be able to utilize the hardware fully rather than shooting for a common denominator on the OC side and then adjusting assets for high/ low settings, etc.

Ps4 is a beast.
In a couple years, OC will outshine console again.

But dang. The new Playstation has the potential to humble the almighty PC for a little bit.

That's what people fail to understand.
Wii u isn't a pc that just happens to be a console. It's purpose built. And very widely built. You do have to think differently when developing for it. And you do have to try harder. But you get very impressive results. "next gen" results.

When ps4, new xbox, and wii u are all tapped to full potential, the wii u will be the least impressive. But not by a crazy amount visually.

That's where Nintendo made some very smart choices in investing heavily into the enhancements to the gpu.

And the CPU is capable of handling anything the CPU should ever be tasked to do.

Nintendo thought thus through. And it even seems that developers will end up being better coders because of it. Let the CPU do what it's supposed to do and the gpu crunch the visual math, etc. it's easy to rely in the CPU. But you don't get performance that way.

The ps4 in contrast will make anything look great.

But when both shine, there will be a noticeable difference. But not like it was with the wii vs he systems.

Sony is winning the war of perception right now.

And they did equip their system with some serious hardware.

I can see this generation being much shorter than last.

Maybe 5 years.

#59 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

The reason?

Gpu. The thing is sweet. Most pcs wont have this level of gpu for a while. And it's been upgraded.

Are u kidding me kiddo? Pc is allready much more powerfull than ps4... lol You have to be kidding me, because you speak about OCed gpus and pc... get a life... thats trully beyond fanboism limits.

ps4 cpu is more like a 4 cores and 8 threads for a pc.... eg I5 4 cores and 8 threads....

Jaguar cores are good, but not that f#$#g good... I7 alone is in another level. And I dont speak about 6 cores/12 threads pc cpus

AMD radeon fits the 1.7tflop for ps4... http://hexus.net/tec...graphics-cards/

but I find it extreme as its a new gpu and it costs TO MUCH I will check 6xxx series and give an equivelant to that.

I believe ps4 is between i3 limits and i5 (because they dont have all these windows and dlls in the background to run all the time).. As for the gpu, is an underpowered amd radeon 78xx series... maybe... 77xx or 78xx between these 2 codes. It may also be a 77xx gpu modified with some extra compusonal spus for 1.7... Or 6xxx series the same way.. They cant add a 7xxx series in my personal opinion of that scale, because they will not be able to reduce the price, if something goes wrong..!!

And check the pc gpus, check the GFLOPS tab... http://hexus.net/tec...-card-overview/

these are the highest on the market.. but even a mid gpu like gtx 660ti surpases the ps4 one... gtx670 that is my beloved baby is 2.5tflops and passes kicks the brain out of 7970 by amd that is 4tflops... u see... The number of Tflops doesnt mean always the best... if u see an nvidia gpu card with 4tflops.. its more like 6 tflops equivelant for AMD... because nvidia cores are better than the amd ones..

An example is wii U, latelly some engineers speak about wii U being 1.1 tflop... 320-500 spus and an extra modified for computing 120 spus... all together 1.1 tflop. The 40% of wii U gpu is still unknown.. a mistery... AND FORGET ABOUT RV7 chip on wiiU... even chipworks modified the article and removed from the txt the code " RV7" it is not.

Something similar will be for ps4 as well. 400-800 SPUS and a small number of spus for computing... overal 1.7 tflops... So stop dreaming apples...

And I think sony said that : ps4 is extra modified gpu and the GPU can be used for computing, without using the cpu power.... correct? The same thing is wii U, both are GPU centric

Edited by Orion, 21 February 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#60 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Everything we've seen of this game has been running on high-end PC hardware. The first demo from last year's E3 was running on hardware more powerful than what the PS4 is housing. Yves said they developed the game for high-end tech, so, yes, there will be downporting to some degree, especially with the PS3/360 versions. If Ubisoft takes the time to really tweak this game to take advantage of Wii U, I can see it looking much better than the 360/PS3 versions. However, I don't think it will quite match the PS4/720 versions. Even so, I think they can get it very close and sacrifice very little in the process. PS4's specs are obviously higher than Wii U's, so I expect the PS4 version to show off more bells and whistles, but not too much. Ultimately, any version that is not PC will be a downport to some degree.

I agree there. Well said.

The reason?

In addition, game makers will be able to utilize the hardware fully rather than shooting for a common denominator on the OC side and then adjusting assets for high/ low settings, etc.

Ps4 is a beast.
In a couple years, OC will outshine console again.

But dang. The new Playstation has the potential to humble the almighty PC for a little bit.

That's what people fail to understand.
Wii u isn't a pc that just happens to be a console. It's purpose built. And very widely built. You do have to think differently when developing for it. And you do have to try harder. But you get very impressive results. "next gen" results.

When ps4, new xbox, and wii u are all tapped to full potential, the wii u will be the least impressive. But not by a crazy amount visually.

That's where Nintendo made some very smart choices in investing heavily into the enhancements to the gpu.

And the CPU is capable of handling anything the CPU should ever be tasked to do.

Nintendo thought thus through. And it even seems that developers will end up being better coders because of it. Let the CPU do what it's supposed to do and the gpu crunch the visual math, etc. it's easy to rely in the CPU. But you don't get performance that way.

The ps4 in contrast will make anything look great.

But when both shine, there will be a noticeable difference. But not like it was with the wii vs he systems.

Sony is winning the war of perception right now.

And they did equip their system with some serious hardware.

I can see this generation being much shorter than last.

Maybe 5 years.

Actually my PC already outperforms the hardware in the PS4, by a very large margin. Also, my PC isn't doing media encode operations in the background, or livestreaming, or constantly updating PSN. PS4 will have more overhead than your average PC.

It is very capable hardware, but it isn't on the same level as a decent gaming rig, no matter how you spin it.

They're winning the war of perception only because people forget easily how often Sony has shown purported game footage, only to be let down because it was actually well crafted CG or in engine footage without any of the standard overhead that would exist whilst running a game on actual hardware.

Edited by routerbad, 21 February 2013 - 11:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ubisoft, watch dogs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!