Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Next gen? How about releasing the BO2 DLC? I still hear that they didn't do that besides Ubisoft.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#22 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

For those who still thought the Wii U is last gen... It's not fyi.

Posted Image

#23 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Awesome :D well ain't that nice of em? Respect for that Activision, just not much else.

#24 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

You guys sure like to make mountains out of molehills don't you?

If you honestly think the Wii U will be on par with the 720 / PS4 offerings, you are one diluted bunch... seriously.  The only reason anyone mention's the Wii U in the same sentence as the 720 / PS4 is because those systems haven't been released yet and the superiority of those consoles aren't that blatantly obvious... yet. When UE4 and Frostbite 3 are in full swing on the 720 / PS4 systems, no one with a IQ over 50 will be comparing the 3 consoles anymore.

Do yourselves a favor, and stop thinking the Wii U will offer the same quality of multi-platform titles as the 720 / PS4, because it won't.

The Wii U will offer awesome first party titles that will look great - for those titles, but that will be it. You can not honestly sit there and think that a console that can only allocate 1 GB of RAM for games will offer comparable games with a system that has 8GB of RAM.

But if some PR person from Activision mentioning the Wii U as a "next gen" console convinces you otherwise, then more power to you.

Edited by Cyanotic, 07 May 2013 - 05:38 AM.

#25 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

You guys sure like to make mountains out of molehills don't you?

If you honestly think the Wii U will be on par with the 720 / PS4 offerings, you are one diluted bunch... seriously.  The only reason anyone mention's the Wii U in the same sentence as the 720 / PS4 is because those systems haven't been released yet and the superiority of those consoles aren't that blatantly obvious... yet. When UE4 and Frostbite 3 are in full swing on the 720 / PS4 systems, no one with a IQ over 50 will be comparing the 3 consoles anymore.

Do yourselves a favor, and stop thinking the Wii U will offer the same quality of multi-platform titles as the 720 / PS4, because it won't.

The Wii U will offer awesome first party titles that will look great - for those titles, but that will be it. You can not honestly sit there and think that a console that can only allocate 1 GB of RAM for games will offer comparable games with a system that has 8GB of DDR5 RAM.

But if some PR person from Activision mentioning the Wii U as a "next gen" console convinces you otherwise, then more power to you.

I don't think anyone is assuming that the Wii U can compete right with the 720 / PS4. Just that it's a step beyond last gen which is 360 / PS3.

#26 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

I don't think anyone is assuming that the Wii U can compete right with the 720 / PS4. Just that it's a step beyond last gen which is 360 / PS3.

Oh no? Then why does everyone on here have a fascination with calling the Wii U next gen?

Because calling the Wii U next gen puts it on par with the "other" next gen systems and will offer similar experiences. Sure you can argue the semantics of what "next gen" even means, but in a years time the line won't be so blurry.

Just be happy with what the Wii U is, and stop pretending it's something it's clearly not.

Edited by Cyanotic, 07 May 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#27 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

I'm honestly sitting here saying that I think the Wii U will be at least somewhat comparable to the 720/PS4 graphics-wise. Maybe not every singe game for it will have mind-blowing graphics, but I think we can all rest assured that the next 3D Mario game will look amazing, and probably the new Zelda as well.

Also, how can you honestly sit there and say that the Wii U is a generation behind the 720/PS4 when it came out before them?!?!??! -_(\

Edited by MatrixChicken, 07 May 2013 - 06:08 AM.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#28 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Oh no? Then why does everyone on here have a fascination with calling the Wii U next gen?

Because calling the Wii U next gen puts it on par with the "other" next gen systems and will offer similar experiences. Sure you can argue the semantics of what "next gen" even means, but in a years time the line won't be so blurry.

Just be happy with what the Wii U is, and stop pretending it's something it's clearly not.

Probably because the actual non silly pony definition of next gen has nothing to do with hardware power, and everything to do with when the system released and what came before it.

The lines never been blurry, it wasnt blurry ten years ago, or thirty, and it wont ne blurry twenty years from now.

A bunch of stupid people with crap vocabulary wont affect anything.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#29 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'm honestly sitting here saying that I think the Wii U will be at least somewhat comparable to the 720/PS4 graphics-wise. Maybe not every singe game for it will have mind-blowing graphics, but I think we can all rest assured that the next 3D Mario game will look amazing, and probably the new Zelda as well.

Also, how can you honestly sit there and say that the Wii U is a generation behind the 720/PS4 when it came out before them?!?!??! -_(\

I already said that the first party games for the Wii U will undoubtedly look good. Nintendo games have a certain look that isn't graphically demanding and they make the most out of with with colorful backgrounds and characters. When the 720 / PS4 start to embrace UE4 and Frostbite 3 or id Tech 5, then the difference will become comical.

When I argue "Next-Gen" vs. "Current-Gen" I'm not talking time frames... I'm talking technological leaps.

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

I already said that the first party games for the Wii U will undoubtedly look good. Nintendo games have a certain look that isn't graphically demanding and they make the most out of with with colorful backgrounds and characters. When the 720 / PS4 start to embrace UE4 and Frostbite 3 or id Tech 5, then the difference will become comical.

When I argue "Next-Gen" vs. "Current-Gen" I'm not talking time frames... I'm talking technological leaps.

Then you should stop using erroneous terms, and start using correct ones like more powerful vs less powerful.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

Then you should stop using erroneous terms, and start using correct ones like more powerful vs less powerful.

It usually goes without saying that a "Next Gen" console will be more powerful than the previous generations. I can release a new console that has the same hardware that the SNES had and according to you, it would still be considered "Next Gen" because of the release date.

I think everyone knows what Next Gen means, and it has less to do when it was released but what technological acheivements have been reached.

#32 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

I think I'm starting to see what Cyanotic is saying. The problem is, the Wii U is between current gen and next gen. It offers a slightly better experience than the 360/PS3 through the "innovation" that is the Gamepad, and is probably slightly more powerful than them. But the 720/PS4 which will be super powerful for consoles will be the true next-gen. So the real question is, do we call the Wii U current gen or next gen? Because it seems to be in between.

#33 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

It usually goes without saying that a "Next Gen" console will be more powerful than the previous generations. I can release a new console that has the same hardware that the SNES had and according to you, it would still be considered "Next Gen" because of the release date.

I think everyone knows what Next Gen means, and it has less to do when it was released but what technological acheivements have been reached.

Then somebody better retro actively change the third and fourth generations to fit your new description.

Both the nes and snes were considerably less powerful than contemporary or even precursor systems.

The commodor 64 smoked the nes, which in comparison was only on par with more powerful second gen systems, and the amiga500 (the gaming console, not to be confused with amiga 1000+ which were marketed, and priced, as versatile computers), a third gen system smoked the snes, a fourth gen system.

The ouya will also be a part of the upcoming console generation, alongside wii u ps4 and durango.

Stop using incorrect terms, and people will stop correcting you.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#34 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

Then somebody better retro actively change the third and fourth generations to fit your new description.

Both the nes and snes were considerably less powerful than contemporary or even precursor systems.

The commodor 64 smoked the nes, which in comparison was only on par with more powerful second gen systems, and the amiga500 (the gaming console, not to be confused with amiga 1000+ which were marketed, and priced, as versatile computers), a third gen system smoked the snes, a fourth gen system.

The ouya will also be a part of the upcoming console generation, alongside wii u ps4 and durango.

Stop using incorrect terms, and people will stop correcting you.

tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#35 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Firstly, we are arguing the semantics of what "Next Gen" means to different people. According to you and Wikipedia, it's what time frame the console was released in. To the rest of the gaming world, it’s what the future has to offer technologically.

Some idiot lumped a bunch of consoles in different generations according to a time frame and you abide by that, which is fine and isn't necessarily wrong.

The layman will see that the Wii U is considered "Next Gen" because it has been released around the same time as the PS4 / 720 and might assume it's on par technologically, but that won't be the case and that was my original point in the first place.

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Firstly, we are arguing the semantics of what "Next Gen" means to different people. According to you and Wikipedia, it's what time frame the console was released in. To the rest of the gaming world, it’s what the future has to offer technologically.

Some idiot lumped a bunch of consoles in different generations according to a time frame and you abide by that, which is fine and isn't necessarily wrong.

The layman will see that the Wii U is considered "Next Gen" because it has been released around the same time as the PS4 / 720 and might assume it's on par technologically, but that won't be the case and that was my original point in the first place.

Sorry kid, that wiki page has been there a very long time. Much longer than this current generation, where a bunch of stupid kids decided to try and change the meaning because they were butt hurt by wii, and the concept itself has been the same since the inception of home consoles.

You are going to need more than 'bloo hoo hoo but nintendo is teh suxxors' to change something thats existed longer than you have.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

The problem I'm seeing here is that none of us know whether the 720/PS4 will smoke the Wii U technologically or not. If they do, then great, you're right and the Wii U, by your definition, would be a generation behind the PS4 and 720.

However, I know I've already said this a billion times, but I'll say it again for clarity... I don't think the Wii U will be that much less technologically advanced than the PS4/720. We are not (well at least I am not) just arguing about the definition of the word, "generation".

Anyways, how about we wait until we know what the games look like on the other two consoles, and then judge whether they trounce the Wii U or not.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#38 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

I never said I wanted to change it because I don't care enough to want to change it. In general, the "next generation" of ANYTHING is supposed to be better than the previous or current generation (TV's, Phones, Cars, Consoles, etc.)

Has there been times that the "Next Gen" console has been less powerful than the previous gen as you stated? Yes. And that is why the current system is so screwed up and makes no sense whatsoever.  Console generations should be based on technological achievements and specs and not off a calendar date. 

But as you stated, it won't change and I agree with you it won't change. So to say that the Wii U is "Next Gen" is technically correct. Do I agree with it?

No.

#39 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Cyanotic, on 07 May 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:I never said I wanted to change it because I don't care enough to want to change it. In general, the "next generation" of ANYTHING is supposed to be better than the previous or current generation (TV's, Phones, Cars, Consoles, etc.)
Has there been times that the "Next Gen" console has been less powerful than the previous gen as you stated? Yes. And that is why the current system is so screwed up and makes no sense whatsoever.  Console generations should be based on technological achievements and specs and not off a calendar date. 
But as you stated, it won't change and I agree with you it won't change. So to say that the Wii U is "Next Gen" is technically correct. Do I agree with it?
No.

Thats likely because your vocabulary is poor and you never understood what a generation meant. Which is likely the case with all the upstarts trying to peddle the same nonsense.

a : a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor

b : a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously

c : a group of individuals having contemporaneously a status (as that of students in a school) which each one holds only for a limited period

d : a type or class of objects usually developed from an earlier type

a : the action or process of producing offspring : procreation

b : the process of coming or bringing into being <generation of income>

c : origination by a generating process : production; especially : formation of a geometric figure by motion of another

3: the average span of time between the birth of parents and that of their offspring

Gee, these definitions all seem to deal with terms temporality, but not a single definition of the word generation has anything to do with power.

Imagine that.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#40 Cyanotic

Cyanotic

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thats likely because your vocabulary is poor and you never understood what a generation meant. Which is likely the case with all the upstarts trying to peddle the same nonsense.

a : a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor

b : a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously

c : a group of individuals having contemporaneously a status (as that of students in a school) which each one holds only for a limited period

d : a type or class of objects usually developed from an earlier type

a : the action or process of producing offspring : procreation

b : the process of coming or bringing into being <generation of income>

c : origination by a generating process : production; especially : formation of a geometric figure by motion of another

3: the average span of time between the birth of parents and that of their offspring

Gee, these definitions all seem to deal with terms temporality, but not a single definition of the word generation has anything to do with power.

Imagine that.

Main Entry:    next-generation

Part of Speech:    adj

Definition:    pertaining to the next generation in a family; also, pertaining to the next stage of development or version of a product, service, or technology

Example:    Programmers are now developing next-generation software

There you go, jackass.

Edited by Cyanotic, 07 May 2013 - 08:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!