• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#141 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Well the PS4 isn't using Cell, so I don't know what couldn't be touched.

people like to say sony lied about the systems 1.8gflops.... but that was not the gpu number.. that was the cpu. Which was hardly touchable by devs. 

I have not been able to look at any dev machines for the newer stuff (with an exception) but it worries me with what they are saying

#142 Wolfy

Wolfy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Fandom:
    snep baks n sweg

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

Let us be serious, everyone here is going to say that the Wii U isn't underpowered when the thing costs $299 on release and has a huge ass screen on the controller. You realise that doesn't leave much for power? I'm just saying, I'm fine with the Wii U being underpowered compared to the other next-gen consoles, and if you aren't, then you've bought the wrong system.

#143 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

people like to say sony lied about the systems 1.8gflops.... but that was not the gpu number.. that was the cpu. Which was hardly touchable by devs.

I have not been able to look at any dev machines for the newer stuff (with an exception) but it worries me with what they are saying

No. http://www.ps3rules.com/ps3-specs.htm It's the GPU. And its 1.8 TFLOPS.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#144 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

No. http://www.ps3rules.com/ps3-specs.htm It's the GPU. And its 1.8 TFLOPS.

they may have reported that, but the Cell CPU is rated for 1.8 gflops  by IBM

#145 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

No, check the tape, they said rsx was capable of 1.8TFLOPS, not cell

#146 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

No, check the tape, they said rsx was capable of 1.8TFLOPS, not cell

Im not talking about what they said, im saying they ... mistakenly  transfered the number from one part to another.

#147 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Im not talking about what they said, im saying they ... mistakenly  transfered the number from one part to another.

No, they meant it.  If tallied all together, the RSX had 1.8TFLOPS, but almost none of it was accessible, and it didn't have the resources to use much of it at any point in time in real world operation.  That's the problem with theoretical maximums, they are hard targets to hit anyway, and Sony should have known better than to boast about RSX in that way, to that extent.

#148 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Im not talking about what they said, im saying they ... mistakenly transfered the number from one part to another.

There is no documents saying what you are saying. So until a source is quoted, which shouldn't be hard since Sony is open on specs, please show us.

I could be wrong, but everything I remember and have looked at says something different .

#149 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

they may have reported that, but the Cell CPU is rated for 1.8 gflops  by IBM

Cell isn't a bad design.  Just not super efficient.  

Edited by Socalmuscle, 07 June 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#150 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

There is no documents saying what you are saying. So until a source is quoted, which shouldn't be hard since Sony is open on specs, please show us.

I could be wrong, but everything I remember and have looked at says something different .

http://savannah.gate...EC08_Stef_2.pdf

shows the cell getting about 1.8gflops

im just assuming that they took that and applied it to their gpu and called it tflops.

even tho that cpu could easily do far more that was the rating of 1 spu. seems to much of a coinidence that they came out saying that same 1.8 abotut such a weak gpu that could never have came close.

the gpu from tests i have done i was able to squeeze around 170 gflops tops.

but aparently its been reported that it had alot locked away as it was  rated for 400glops (top possible)

so innefficent and locked parts...  either way 1.8 tflops was far off  what was possible.

Edited by Cloud Windfoot Omega, 07 June 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#151 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

im just assuming that they took that and applied it to their gpu and called it tflops.

even tho that cpu could easily do far more that was the rating of 1 spu. seems to much of a coinidence that they came out saying that same 1.8 abotut such a weak gpu that could never have came close.

but aparently its been reported that it had alot locked away as it was rated for 400glops (top possible)

so innefficent and locked parts... either way 1.8 tflops was far off what was possible.

1.8GFLOPS isn't the same as 1.8 TFLOPS. Which is what Sony said the RSX and PS4 GPU can achieve.

http://playstation.a...csDetails_3.htm

#152 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

1.8GFLOPS isn't the same as 1.8 TFLOPS. Which is what Sony said the RSX and PS4 GPU can achieve.

http://playstation.a...csDetails_3.htm

I said it was a mistake not that they are the same. There is no way that  both parts  even at their maximums will come close to 1.8tflops together

#153 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

I said it was a mistake not that they are the same. There is no way that both parts even at their maximums will come close to 1.8tflops together

That's our point, but that isn't what Sony is saying.

#154 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

That's our point, but that isn't what Sony is saying.

my point is they probably mistook something and  said it wrong....   its anyones guess.

either way,  dont epect  being able to use   all of the PS4's resourses.

#155 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

my point is they probably mistook something and said it wrong.... its anyones guess.

either way, dont epect being able to use all of the PS4's resourses.

At least we agree on that.

^_^

#156 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

my point is they probably mistook something and  said it wrong....   its anyones guess.

either way,  dont epect  being able to use   all of the PS4's resourses.

It wasn't a mistake, they were marketing the theoretical peak power of the RSX, which is 1.8TFLOPS, as real world operations. In practical results, though, the RSX didn't come close to those numbers at all.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#157 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

It wasn't a mistake, they were marketing the theoretical peak power of the RSX, which is 1.8TFLOPS, as real world operations. In practical results, though, the RSX didn't come close to those numbers at all.

i do not know where they think they got those peaks.... seeing as  the numbers  ive found  dont come close to that, and they are theory

#158 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

but aparently its been reported that it had alot locked away as it was  rated for 400glops (top possible)

so innefficent and locked parts...  either way 1.8 tflops was far off  what was possible.

The cell as spec'd by IBM is decent. And THEORETICAL performance is interesting depending on how it's "calculated." The ps3 cell beats itself up. It's impossible for it to even think so lofty.

Even so, the cell was designed for 8 spe's. ps3 has one gimped due to early bad yield. So it's taken down quite a bit on the vector front as well.

#159 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

The cell as spec'd by IBM is decent. And THEORETICAL performance is interesting depending on how it's "calculated." The ps3 cell beats itself up. It's impossible for it to even think so lofty.

Even so, the cell was designed for 8 spe's. ps3 has one gimped due to early bad yield. So it's taken down quite a bit on the vector front as well.

ya cell is said to get 1.8 per spe.... so they say

#160 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

ya cell is said to get 1.8 per spe.... so they say

no, the ppe+all 8 spu's get 1.8 Tf, when doing extremely simple single precision floating point operations.... That would never be used in an actual game.

The rsx bit was a pr goof, they meant cell, but said rsx.

Edited by 3Dude, 13 June 2013 - 01:57 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!