Photo

Wii U Hard drive

HDD

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Wii U Hard drive (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Hard drive?

1. Yes (17 votes [36.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.17%

2. No (6 votes [12.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. I can use an SD card/ External Hard drive./ SSD (24 votes [51.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

You like the 360 hard drive? With it's overinflated price points? The hard drive thing is much better on PS3 then on XBOX 360. Seriously, you want to be nickled and dimed to death?

No! /face palm. I like how you can take the hard drive around with you instead of the console.
Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#62 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Merch, just buy a portable hard drive. Way better value for money than an Xbox 360 hard drive.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#63 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

No! /face palm. I like how you can take the hard drive around with you instead of the console.

That's what an external HDD IS. Microsoft, however, has locked out normal HDDs; ie. You can only use theirs which cost 4-5 times the normal price.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#64 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

No need to get angry. I was meaning to say what Wert and waller said above me

Edited by N Harmonia Gropius, 18 November 2011 - 04:43 PM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#65 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

ok this is huge!! dont watch the whole video unless you have loads of time, if you dont then skip to 6:00, because this guy explains that the reason that wii u doesn't have an internal hard drive is because the disc read speed is so fast for its discs that installing games is not necessary :D that is AWESOME
Posted Image

#66 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

The guy cites no websites/articles/anything, so I don't believe this is true at the moment.

Edited by Natural Harmonia Gropius, 11 December 2011 - 03:02 PM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#67 AudieMurphy

AudieMurphy

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

SOME FACTS FOR DERANGED HARDDRIVE FANS.....
fact 1.. harddrives have moving parts why do you want ““more moving easy to break and corrupt parts in your console HUH...

fact 2... harddrives ware out very quickly...

fact 3... harddrives are 1950s tech seriously you want that in your nintendo HUH!!

fact 4 heat man i canny stand the heat anymore harddrives are HOT HUH!!!

fact 5 ... SLOW LIKE SNAIL flashdrives rape harddrives at load speed compare any ps3 or pc loading from flash vs harddrive flash destroys harddrive at streaming dumping data..

fact 6... noise oh please make 9t stop harddrives are loud flash is silent...

fact 7 heavy man its so heavy harddrives are like a mega-ton in weght...flash is like a postage stamp...

i look forward to TODAYS TECH in my console not 1950s obsolete crap...

#68 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, SSB, Mario etc.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

fact 1.. harddrives have moving parts why do you want ““more moving easy to break and corrupt parts in your console HUH...

fact 3... harddrives are 1950s tech seriously you want that in your nintendo HUH!!

fact 5 ... SLOW LIKE SNAIL flashdrives rape harddrives at load speed compare any ps3 or pc loading from flash vs harddrive flash destroys harddrive at streaming dumping data..

fact 7 heavy man its so heavy harddrives are like a mega-ton in weght...flash is like a postage stamp...

Great points! This is all why it's going to have flash based memory which has lightning fast load times compared to hdd. Also it's a heck of alot cheaper on Nintendo to not include hdd which means better hardware to compensate!

Posted Image

#69 Banzai¥

Banzai¥

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Although I believe HDDs need to slowly faze out, I've experienced little to none of these problems (Which might class me as the minority.)
I've had my old 7200RPM 250gb HDD for over several years and it still works fine (I'd really have to check the brand, they were bought off by Seagate some time ago.) As for sound I would say it's fairly quiet all things considering, runs evenly or less along the hum of the processor (Even on my PS3.) Temps are the biggest problem though, internals run around 30C and I have no clue what my external normally runs at; so I guess I'd have to agree on that part.

Another reason for the change may have something to do with HDD prices being slightly higher than normal, where-as flash still seems to be at its normal price/falling.

Edited by Banzai¥, 11 December 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#70 AudieMurphy

AudieMurphy

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

wiiu internal say 8 to 16GB

AND THEN 64GB FLASH CARD AND THEN 4X USB PORTS THATS 4X 64GB FLASH DRIVES

SO 5X 64GB + 8GB = 328GB all of it much much faster than a harddrive no heat no noise no issues and portabillity and sharing with other devices and wiius ALL-IMPOSABLE WITH A 1950S DUMB DRIVE...

#71 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

wiiu internal say 8 to 16GB

AND THEN 64GB FLASH CARD AND THEN 4X USB PORTS THATS 4X 64GB FLASH DRIVES

SO 5X 64GB + 8GB = 328GB all of it much much faster than a harddrive no heat no noise no issues and portabillity and sharing with other devices and wiius ALL-IMPOSABLE WITH A 1950S DUMB DRIVE...

Dude wtf do you mean by this??? Plugging up 4 USB flash drives? I dont know maybe I'm not understanding, explain

Posted Image

#72 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Dude wtf do you mean by this??? Plugging up 4 USB flash drives? I dont know maybe I'm not understanding, explain

i think he means the WiiU has 4 usb ports and if u get 4 flash drives with 64gb then u could plug them all in for potentially 256 gb worth of external memory

i would love an internal hard drive but could do without one

#73 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

i think he means the WiiU has 4 usb ports and if u get 4 flash drives with 64gb then u could plug them all in for potentially 256 gb worth of external memory

i would love an internal hard drive but could do without one

Thanks for the clear up was kind of confused, but it's a good/bad situation with the internal hdd. Good - faster loading, lower price
Bad - little storage

Posted Image

#74 Banzai¥

Banzai¥

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the clear up was kind of confused, but it's a good/bad situation with the internal hdd. Good - faster loading, lower price
Bad - little storage

There's also the bit of price increase due to HDD shortages (Or the ability to produce a large amount of HDDs for a while.) 1TB HDDs have went from $50 to $90-120 and probably won't drop until the next year or two.

#75 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

There's also the bit of price increase due to HDD shortages (Or the ability to produce a large amount of HDDs for a while.) 1TB HDDs have went from $50 to $90-120 and probably won't drop until the next year or two.

That is also true, wasn't it because of a natural disaster in where they produce them.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#76 Link707

Link707

Boo

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

That is also true, wasn't it because of a natural disaster in where they produce them.

Yes there was a major flood in Thailand. Some don't expect shipments until march 2012
http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/networking/plan-now-for-serious-hard-drive-shortages-tips-to-reduce-risk/4976

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!