Photo

Pikmin 3, Does it do anything superior to ps360?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

I've been playing Pikmin 3 and it's graphically beautiful that got me thinking.

Ignoring PC games, what will be considered the first game to have 'next gen' graphics?

Has the Wii U released anything graphically superior to the 360/PS3.

I think this answer is probably Need for Speed: Most Wanted.

P.S I know games aren't about graphics, blah blah blah, it's more of a technical question.

#2 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

pikmin 3 is not next gen, but it uses next gen shader techniques...

Originally the game polys created for wii.... But in the process they added an extra mantle on it, with more effects, better textures, etc and next gen shader techniques..... Have you see the reflections, crystals, water, shadows, etc?  Can u see the adaptive tessellation? when the camera moves, the object tessellates the area the the camera is focusing...

QuaggledMireclopsBulb-Pikmin3.jpg

QuaggledMireclopsCorpse-Pikmin3.jpg

image_305797_16x9_620.jpg

vs  (the same technique) with ps4

Knack+Announce+Trailer+%28PS4%29.mp4_sna

Edited by Plutonas, 27 July 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Why do people keep saying Next gen graphics like you need graphics to be a next gen console... Next gen simply means a console that comes out around the same time the rest do, after the last generation of consoles. If a company releases a console now with ps2 hardware, It's still a next gen console, not a gen 6 console...

So Yes Pikmin 3 is a next gen game because it came out on a next gen console. Same as Mario galaxy is a gen 7 game...

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I think next gen graphic for the wii u are starting with pikmin 3. At lest that's IMO.
I haven't seen the game in person but will in a wk.
also pikmin 3 devs have had time with the system to make everything look good. Vs other devs that are still new to the wii u system.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#5 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Visually, I think.. the plants look nice and "next gen". But the textures on the ground are meh.

2lvmghw.png

#6 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

on playing Pikmin 3 on my THX 1080p HD TV i have not seen anything graphically superior to anything i have played on my PS3 or X360.

the images being banded around are raw digital still shots.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

on playing Pikmin 3 on my THX 1080p HD TV i have not seen anything graphically superior to anything i have played on my PS3 or X360.

the images being banded around are raw digital still shots.

They are miiverse snapshots of the game while being played.

Nice try though.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I can already tell this generation is gonna annoy the hell out of me. You're going to have people throwing around the "next gen" term and coming up with their own definitions for it. "Omg iz dis gaem on da ps4 or xbox 1 next gen???" "no but it uses next gen techniques" I don't even...

Edited by Gaymer, 27 July 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

I can already tell this generation is gonna annoy the hell out of me. You're going to have people throwing around the "next gen" term and coming up with their own definitions for it. "Omg iz dis gaem on da ps4 or xbox 1 next gen???" "no but it uses next gen techniques" I don't even...

You can thank the 'gamz gernalizt' for purposefully turning their readerbase into clueless tools.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I could tell from the moment the generation was rumored to be starting.

It's a sad day in gaming when we've got more people asking "R GRARPHICS GOOD" rather than "Is this game fun/enjoyable?"

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#11 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Of course it's 'next-gen', I'm in it!!!

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#12 Zombies8MyDuck

Zombies8MyDuck

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Zombies8MyDuck
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

I wish the ground looked a bit better. :/

#13 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

They are miiverse snapshots of the game while being played.

Nice try though.

yes raw digital still shots, in the say way that the Forza photos are taken & then uploaded to players Forza page, the image is a pixel perfect image of the raw data/code it is not a screen grab from your TV, so it will always look better, then there is the backlighting, viewing the images on a WiiU game pad or on a PC/laptop screen the lighting is much stronger than native on a TV that you are playing a game on, these screens are always brighter than a TV playing a game on a TV at least.

#14 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

POPULAR

yes raw digital still shots, in the say way that the Forza photos are taken & then uploaded to players Forza page, the image is a pixel perfect image of the raw data/code it is not a screen grab from your TV, so it will always look better, then there is the backlighting, viewing the images on a WiiU game pad or on a PC/laptop screen the lighting is much stronger than native on a TV that you are playing a game on, these screens are always brighter than a TV playing a game on a TV at least.

Thats called an in game screen grab, or screen shot, or snapshot, I seriously doubt anyone else in the world thought the wii u sprouted a robot arm and snapped a picbof the tv screen.

Your strange attempt to over complicate an explanation to acommon process inferred you thought pikmin 3 did something like turn the screen into a bullshot, as in add post processing effects, change out diffeent models, and use more advanced lighting. Like the photo mode in FORZA.

http://imageshack.us...bullshots2.png/

And none of that explains how badly pikmin 3 blows away ps360 games in its better areas. It just seems to insinuate you have bad tv for gaming or its not setup right.

E3F405D.jpg
pikmin-3-6_zps4279dcbb.jpg
zlCfzRDVwv8r15fEuZ_zps4408c2e5.jpg

But please, feel free to find those ps360 games that you said so easily match this.

Bonus points if its the same genre. Im sure halo wars looks fantastic zoomed in this close.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#15 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

I don't really think Pikmin 3 looks "next-gen". The shaders and stuffz look really nice, but the textures and models are kinda meh (look at those polygons... D:).

However, you'd have to be blind to think that Nintendo Land didn't look "next-gen". It's got those nice shaderz, high quality textures... It's a beautiful game.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#16 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

People have been saying "Pikmin 3 looks really nice or beautiful"  but so far, I have not heard anyone saying it hit the ball out of the park ... and I do not think this title would have been capable of doing it either considering it was not built from the ground up for the Wii U when they started making it.  I do not think we will see the most stunning games the system has to offer until some years down the line.

But what it does do is show in snippets just how beautiful games can look on the Wii U.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#17 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Visually, I think.. the plants look nice and "next gen". But the textures on the ground are meh.

That's what I also said in another thread, though spending several hours on the game this doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Other than that, the game is just stunningly beautiful and that's all that matters. It does look better in some areas than recently released games for the XBOX 360 such as Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite but not necessary.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#18 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

Why do graphics matter at all in regards to if it is "next gen" or not?

Why does Pikmin have to look hyper-realistic to be next gen? I personally would have preferred a full clay-mation style Pikmin game myself

If anyone here wants "next gen" to mean superior graphics then why on earth did you buy the Wii U? Should have been saving away your money in your sock drawer and bought a gaming PC....

The wii u will never be able to compete graphically with ps4/xbox one...It doesn't have to, It was never intended to.

Its a next gen console because its a new Nintendo console that offers unique and different gaming experiences

Its rather silly to post these screen shots and stare at them and then have to ask if it looks better in comparison to ps3/360 games :P If your eyeball cant tell the difference then what does it matter?

What it all comes down to in the end is, Do you want to have fun playing games? Or do you want to have a D*** measuring contest with all the other systems specs? :P

#19 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:21 AM

looks good in pics but not as impressive in motion,

#20 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

As I said in my first message, I'm not judging the game by graphics, I just wanted to talk purely about graphics.

I agree the floor textures are sometimes disappointing. I think they are only noticeable because the rest looks so great.

It's been about 9 months since the launch and Pikmen 3 was specifically designed for the system and nothing else, so it's an interesting indicator of what the Wii U is capable of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!