Photo

Pikmin 3, Does it do anything superior to ps360?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

As I said in my first message, I'm not judging the game by graphics, I just wanted to talk purely about graphics.

I agree the floor textures are sometimes disappointing. I think they are only noticeable because the rest looks so great.

It's been about 9 months since the launch and Pikmen 3 was specifically designed for the system and nothing else, so it's an interesting indicator of what the Wii U is capable of.

Pikmin 3 wasn't built from the ground up on the Wii U. It is essentially a pretty Wii game.

Edited by Gaymer, 28 July 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#22 KarlMarx1818

KarlMarx1818

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Pikmin 3 wasn't built from the ground up on the Wii U. It is essentially a pretty Wii game.

Really, that's interesting. 

It suggests that there is still plenty more power to be used. 

#23 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thats called an in game screen grab, or screen shot, or snapshot, I seriously doubt anyone else in the world thought the wii u sprouted a robot arm and snapped a picbof the tv screen.

Your strange attempt to over complicate an explanation to acommon process inferred you thought pikmin 3 did something like turn the screen into a bullshot, as in add post processing effects, change out diffeent models, and use more advanced lighting. Like the photo mode in FORZA.

http://imageshack.us...bullshots2.png/

And none of that explains how badly pikmin 3 blows away ps360 games in its better areas. It just seems to insinuate you have bad tv for gaming or its not setup right.

E3F405D.jpg
pikmin-3-6_zps4279dcbb.jpg
zlCfzRDVwv8r15fEuZ_zps4408c2e5.jpg

But please, feel free to find those ps360 games that you said so easily match this.

Bonus points if its the same genre. Im sure halo wars looks fantastic zoomed in this close.

Is the last screen an actual in-game screenshot? Because that looks pretty damn good.

In general, the game looks okay. A bit bland. Some horrible textures, but some good effects and charactermodels.

No sig.

#24 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

The game is stunning and not just graphically. The way all your Pikmin on screen move around effortlessly looks great. It's funny, everyone talks about how much they like realistic graphics yet Pikmin's worlds are genuinely believable. They draw you in and look so eerily detailed right down to raindrop lying on a leaf.

If only we could showcase Wii U's power against a similar game to Pikmin on the 360 for example..... *cough* Overlord *cough* (that Pikmin rip off had much less A.I going on, last gen looking graphics and an awful framerate with horrendous screen tear to boot)

If Pikmin 3 was on PS3/360 there would be drastic cuts to everything in order to accommodate their weaker specs.

#25 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

At first I wanted to buy this game day one, then I was on the fence, and now after watching footage of gameplay, I am again interested in buying it.  I usually do not like strategy games but the world created here and the concept and gameplay have piqued my interest.  The game looks great and looks fun too.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#26 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

At first I wanted to buy this game day one, then I was on the fence, and now after watching footage of gameplay, I am again interested in buying it.  I usually do not like strategy games but the world created here and the concept and gameplay have piqued my interest.  The game looks great and looks fun too.

You should pick up 1 or 2 and give them a try.
I know I love pikmin great game and now it looks like it should.
I just wishi they had online multi play.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#27 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Is the last screen an actual in-game screenshot? Because that looks pretty damn good.

In general, the game looks okay. A bit bland. Some horrible textures, but some good effects and charactermodels.

Yes, all in game screenshots. The current in game weather also effects lighting and texturing, ie if its raining, stuff gets wet.

The game is stunning and not just graphically. The way all your Pikmin on screen move around effortlessly looks great. It's funny, everyone talks about how much they like realistic graphics yet Pikmin's worlds are genuinely believable. They draw you in and look so eerily detailed right down to raindrop lying on a leaf.

If only we could showcase Wii U's power against a similar game to Pikmin on the 360 for example..... *cough* Overlord *cough* (that Pikmin rip off had much less A.I going on, last gen looking graphics and an awful framerate with horrendous screen tear to boot)

If Pikmin 3 was on PS3/360 there would be drastic cuts to everything in order to accommodate their weaker specs.

Great comparison, forgot all about overlord.

2007-07-08-21-11-10-12S.jpg
1242980231.jpg
1242912192.jpg

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#28 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yes, all in game screenshots. The current in game weather also effects lighting and texturing, ie if its raining, stuff gets wet.

Great comparison, forgot all about overlord.

2007-07-08-21-11-10-12S.jpg
1242980231.jpg
1242912192.jpg

Believe me i know there is a large group of believers that believe Wii U is just on par, less than or just a notch above ps360. but lets stop this comparisons with last gen games. Wii U is next gen just as much as ps4 and xb1 are. not spec for spec it isnt in their class but it can do way more and things ps360 just cant without compromise. its sad but 3rd parties arent going to show this IMO until ps360 are not in the picture and they dont have those console to port games to Wii U from. people just dont understand. i remeber psp or ios games getting ported to 3ds at bigginning of its life and people laughing about how bad the graphics were... then saw Resident evil revelations which couldnt be ran on psp.... we are gonna have to wait but i am looking forward to this years round of 3rd party games....Will they disappoint us or pleasantly surprise us..... SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST... your up first!

#29 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

It's hard to compare to 360 and PS3 when no such game really exists on those consoles for direct comparison. I certainly don't consider it state of the art graphically. This is the gamecube version (emulated on pc and upscaled);

This is wii u;

The game is rendered in 720p with no anti-aliasing and upscaled to 1080p on wii u.

I don't know the situation regarding pre-rendered movie sequences in the wii u version as I've not played it but the gameplay videos out there are not that impressive and the fact its rendered at 720p without anti-aliasing is weak to say the least. I honestly think the ps3 and xbox 360 could do this justice and even enhance the game in someways but be weaker in others. Again pre-rendered video sequences don't count, only actual realtime gameplay is fair to compare.

I think 'X' so far is the only game that looks like it may surpass the best of what 360 and PS3 offers graphically but we will need to see the final release version and how it plays. I don't think there is anything else that looks to surpass 360 and PS3 that I have seen. Monolith are pretty amazing. What they achieved with xenoblade chronicles on wii was incredibly impressive and I'm incredibly optimistic for their wii u game. Pikmin 3 though is fairly simplistic in game mechanics anyway. That is not a criticism just a fact.

Pikmin 3 is still a fantastic game but not a good demonstration of wii u power, its just too simple a game with too limited a viewpoint in gameplay action. We need to see a Zelda game with the scope of Skyrim or similar. 'X' clearly is a game with huge scope and ambition and that really is a good landmark game to the performance of wii u. It will be interesting to see how much physics, AI, cpu intensive graphic effects (weather etc) they can add in to see how it compares to the more ambitious 360 and PS3 engines.

#30 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

You ladies want  next gen fraphics? Get a PC. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#31 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

There was an interview in which Miyamoto said that Pikmin 3 would use only a quantum of Wii U's real capabilities. So better games are to be expected, I guess?

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#32 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

There was an interview in which Miyamoto said that Pikmin 3 would use only a quantum of Wii U's real capabilities. So better games are to be expected, I guess?

yes there will be.

More time with the system and these devs will push this system to its limit and turn out some dam great looking games.

I really cant wait till i get this game. Got it preorder and i will pick it up sunday morning right when they open. It looks for great. I saw some game play through but didnt watch to much as i want to play it myself lol..

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#33 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

I think the best that we can really do right now is compare games made by Nintendo on this system vs games made by Nintendo on previous consoles.  The real question for me is ... is Nintendo growing?  Are the graphics in games I have loved for years getting  better and will they get even better ... and I think the answer to that is yes ... Are the graphics in Pikmin 3 better than Pikmin 2?  Are the graphics in Super Mario Wii U better than Super Mario Wii?  I would say yes and because the system is so new, we can only expect the graphics to get better and better as time moves on.

I also believe that it is difficult to compare graphics from one system or one genre to another.  For example, you can't say that a game that features "realistic graphics of realistic settings" has better graphics than a Mario game does just because Mario games graphics are not realistic ... you have to compare a game made by NIntendo that features realistic graphics before you can make that comparison.

and I say NIntendo specifically because they will work the hardest on their games for their system in the future ... the more they learn about the intricacies of their system, the more they will push the graphics of their games for their system.

Now here is the real kicker ... I can turn around and say that I like the graphics of Pikmin 3 or Mario Wii U better than any video game that looks realistic ... why?  Because I like the style of unrealistic graphics when it comes to games ... I think that "cartoony" looking games transport me to another world more than realistic looking games do ... 

So it really boils down to is are the games that you like in the genres that you like getting better and better looking?  For me the answer is yes ... and I just can't wait to see how they will look in 3 years from now ... as more and more graphical techniques are used or used in better ways.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

It's hard to compare to 360 and PS3 when no such game really exists on those consoles for direct comparison. I certainly don't consider it state of the art graphically. This is the gamecube version (emulated on pc and upscaled);

This is wii u;

The game is rendered in 720p with no anti-aliasing and upscaled to 1080p on wii u.

I don't know the situation regarding pre-rendered movie sequences in the wii u version as I've not played it but the gameplay videos out there are not that impressive and the fact its rendered at 720p without anti-aliasing is weak to say the least. I honestly think the ps3 and xbox 360 could do this justice and even enhance the game in someways but be weaker in others. Again pre-rendered video sequences don't count, only actual realtime gameplay is fair to compare.

There are no prerendered video sequences in any of the comparisons or screens of pikmin 3, and aside from possibly the ending video (dont know for obvious reasons, in pikmin 3 at all.

The fact you are using streaming lossy compressed video shot faaar away from any possible details to somehow prove pikmn 3 is just cube pikmin in hd is hilarious.

Almost as hilarious as you trying to imply in game, in action, while playing miiverse screens are cg.

I know that you are haplessly bound to your logic defying narrative that somehow, someway, the ps360 MUST be stronger than wii u. But even for you... This is very poorly thought out.

Burgeoning_Spiderwort.png
E3F405D.jpg

Yeah.

Oh, and there IS PLENTY games pikmin 3 can be compared to, like games of the same genre. RTS'S like halo wars, or more specifically rts/adventure like the pikmin clone but 'dark' overlord.

Which by the way, overlord 2 was LESS than 720p AND had NO AA.

Overlord II = 1280x612 (custom edge blur, black borders)

The team forsook2x aa and 720p for more lighting and post op effects.

And it looks hilariously primitive in comparison to pikmin 3. As the screens aptly demonstrate.

1242980231.jpg
zlCfzRDVwv8r15fEuZ_zps4408c2e5.jpg

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#35 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

yes pikmin looks good in screen shots but it DOSNT look impressive in motion at all to me and i agree it dosnt look much better than the pc version of the original shown,the wii u is obviously more powerful than 360/ps3 but not by that much from what ive seen and when compared to the likes of ps4/xbox1 its MILES behind,thats my oppinion anyway,the best game on wii u is mario kart 8 imo

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

yes pikmin looks good in screen shots but it DOSNT look impressive in motion at all to me and i agree it dosnt look much better than the pc version of the original shown,the wii u is obviously more powerful than 360/ps3 but not by that much from what ive seen and when compared to the likes of ps4/xbox1 its MILES behind,thats my oppinion anyway,the best game on wii u is mario kart 8 imo

The game looks EXACTLY like the screen shots in motion, they are USER TAKEN SCREENSHOTS OF THE GAME RUNNING IN MOTION TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM MIIVERSE.

Just to make sure no one else tries this absurd trick:

There is NO fake/cg/bull shots of pikmin 3. Its all real,and in game.

Try harder.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Next gen is pretty subjective, but when you look at it from the perspective that if the game is using next gen effects then it should probably be considered next gen, even if you dont personally think it looks that much better than the best looking previous gen games.  There are bound to be some X1 and PS4 games that dont exactly blow away games like God of War and Halo 4, but they will still be considered next gen.  You arent automatically getting next gen graphics just because the developer has more power to work with.  Naughty Dog recently said that great games and great graphics are far more dependent on the developers skill than the limitations of the hardware.  Nintendo has found this out the hard way.  They werent ready for the increased demand for resources to create great looking HD games.  If it was simply a matter of the hardware, then the team size wouldnt need to increase. 

So far we are seeing more advanced shaders and potential use of tessellation in Pikmin 3.  So even if poly count, resolution, and AA are all very much current gen, its next gen in the sense that it is using features not possible on current gen consoles. 

#38 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

What people seem to be forgetting is that a HUGE aspect to making a games graphics feel realistic is animation.  That is where the Wii U can really kill PS360, because more RAM means more detailed and varied animations.  Combine that with modern shaders and you have all you really need to make a game "feel" alive, which is all you are trying to do at the end of the day.

I get why people chase graphics though.  Games like GTA or Watch Dogs need the best graphics possible as they are trying to simulate the real world with all its intricacies.  While Pikmin is doing the same to some degree, its nowhere near to the same scale as those games so it allows them to focus on just certain things.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#39 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

The game looks EXACTLY like the screen shots in motion, they are USER TAKEN SCREENSHOTS OF THE GAME RUNNING IN MOTION TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM MIIVERSE.

Just to make sure no one else tries this absurd trick:

There is NO fake/cg/bull shots of pikmin 3. Its all real,and in game.

Try harder.

NO IT DOSNT LOOK THE SAME IN MOTION lol those screen shots look loads better than what i have seen of the game in motion,just look at the vid that matey posted of pikmin 3 then look at the screens,in motion it looks nothing special at all,just ok,it may be in game screen shots of the game but looks much worse when actually being played,i havnt played it but seen loads of vids of it being played and im not that impressed with it graphically from what ive seen in said vids.

#40 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

NO IT DOSNT LOOK THE SAME IN MOTION lol those screen shots look loads better than what i have seen of the game in motion,just look at the vid that matey posted of pikmin 3 then look at the screens,in motion it looks nothing special at all,just ok,it may be in game screen shots of the game but looks much worse when actually being played,i havnt played it but seen loads of vids of it being played and im not that impressed with it graphically from what ive seen in said vids.

Yes, it does look exactly the same, those pictures are taken from miiverse. Do you have any clue what that means? That means those pictures were taken by actual players actually playing the game. They change the camera from overhead and far away to first person SO YOU CAN LOOK AROUND IN FIRST PERSON AND SEE DETAILS UP CLOSE THAT YOU CANT SEE FROM A FAR AWAY OVERHEAD VIEW AND THEN MAKE A SCREENSHOT IF THEY LIKE.

That video is a streaming video with lossy compression to save bandwidth. The fact you cant even figure that out or comprehend what it means, coupled with the fact you thought screenshots taken by people playing the game were fake shows exactly how very, very, little weight your arguments hold.

Lossy compression is a data encoding method that compresses data by discarding (losing) some of it. The procedure aims to minimize the amount of data that needs to be held, handled, and/or transmitted by a computer.

That video is lossy encoded and discards 92% of data or detail of what pikmin 3 actually looks like.

And to top the cake lossy compression formats suffer from generation loss: repeatedly compressing and decompressing the file will cause it to progressively lose quality. That means everytime someone watches or uploads ign's original video to somehwere else, like say youtube, it loses EVEN MORE DETAIL.

Which is why the crappy videos are lacking any manner of detail, and the less compressed user taken screenshots arent.

To spell it out Barney style:

The Miiverse pictures ARE what the actual game looks like. (IT actually looks better yet still, as miiverse screenshots are also compressed)

The IGN lossy encoded video and others on youtube or uploaded elsewhere and with generation loss, IS NOT what pikmin 3 looks like.

zlCfzRDV-5UNFquzpa_zps3e5c9085.jpg

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!