Photo

Pikmin 3, Does it do anything superior to ps360?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

Pikmin 3 was orignally being developed as a wii game. It only renders at 720p and upscales to 1080p (actually says this on the japanese cover). It is also missing anti-aliasing. It doesn't matter how the miiverse thing works if that is not actually graphics in motion. It's quite possible if you pause the game the wii u can do additional processing of the a still image to render it at a higher quality. Any console can do this and the process is well known from the days of Babylon 5 where images were created slowly due to lack of processing power to render them in full motion. It's not much different to pre-rendering if you are only applying extra graphic detail to a still image. 

This is all basic stuff that shouldn't need to be explained. You should only compare full motion game graphics to be fair, not pre-rendered or still images. Unfortunately 3dude is not fair, accurate or honest in his views so this thread has basically turned to garbage.

#62 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

The fact that Pikmin 3 started out as a handheld game, then a Wii game, and now a Wii U game is intriguing.

I think the game looks fantastic for being bridged several times.

That's right, the development of Pikmin 3 went Wii, 3DS, Wii U.
I wouldn't expect it to push the new console at all.

I think Mario Kart 8 is next gen.

well maybe im wrong then lol as i havnt seen the game running on a wii u on my tv but from the vids it looks pritty pants lol and nothing like those screen shots

Go on twitch.tv and make sure you watch it on "720p+".
If the streamer has decent quality settings and chooses to broadcast at 60 fps you'll get a good idea.
Youtube use really rainbowty encoding to save themselves money, and obviously only do 30 fps.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#63 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

Pikmin 3 was orignally being developed as a wii game. It only renders at 720p and upscales to 1080p (actually says this on the japanese cover). It is also missing anti-aliasing. It doesn't matter how the miiverse thing works if that is not actually graphics in motion. It's quite possible if you pause the game the wii u can do additional processing of the a still image to render it at a higher quality. Any console can do this and the process is well known from the days of Babylon 5 where images were created slowly due to lack of processing power to render them in full motion. It's not much different to pre-rendering if you are only applying extra graphic detail to a still image. 

This is all basic stuff that shouldn't need to be explained. You should only compare full motion game graphics to be fair, not pre-rendered or still images. Unfortunately 3dude is not fair, accurate or honest in his views so this thread has basically turned to garbage.

and I am the Pope!

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#64 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:42 AM

POPULAR

500px-HA_HA_HA%2C_OH_WOW.jpg

'Pikmin 3 must be cg'- Desert Punk.
Immortalized.

Its real time punk. Its whatever screen is currently in the frame buffer. There are no tricks, its not prerendered, nothing is added. Those areas just look that good. In screen, and even better animated in motion.

lmfao.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#65 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

Ha. Haha. Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

OH MAN. Sorry. Thanks for that, Desert. :D

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#66 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

We can say safely say one thing, Pikman 3 exclusive to the Wii U and therefore does something the PS3 and 360 haven't done yet. If you want the Pikman experience you're going to have to go with the Wii U. And based on what I've read online from reviews Pikman 3 is a must have game for Wii U owners. 

#67 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

We can say safely say one thing, Pikman 3 exclusive to the Wii U and therefore does something the PS3 and 360 haven't done yet. If you want the Pikman experience you're going to have to go with the Wii U. And based on what I've read online from reviews Pikman 3 is a must have game for Wii U owners.

Its not called Pikman. Its called Pikmin.

#68 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

zlCfzRE9gJ8sYdRNHA_zps021dc8c7.jpg

That one. That ones called a Pikman.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#69 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

zlCfzRE9gJ8sYdRNHA_zps021dc8c7.jpg
That one. That ones called a Pikman.

Lol or is that actually pacman sorry guys couldn't help it.

#70 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hehe

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#71 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

I was hoping for way more hyper realistic enviroments.

#72 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

It can be pretty good at times.

https://d3esbfg30x75...fzRE9pjAg7O4F9L

But its Definately a mixed bag. A lot of areas are meh, but then you stumble onto something that recieved some extra love, and its pretty impressive.

Definately more than I was expecting from a wii>3ds>wii u game with like 1/5th the dev team size as AAA ps360 games.

The camera mode is just the gift that keeps giving.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#73 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Pikman sounds better. 

#74 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Playing through the game right now, and it can be REALLY amazing at times. Overall, the game looks great, and then you'll find one of them even more beautiful areas. I'd say Pikmin 3 definitely does things better than PS360.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#75 LaserSWE

LaserSWE

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Its beauty is pretty much in the colours.. Textures look almost Perfect Dark Zero. Which I guess are to be expected since its 1) a game that began development on Wii 2) One of Nintendos very first HD-games 3) On a platform that is similar to Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 hardware.

I think the most beautiful Wii U game as of yet is Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. When it look its best it looks like Uncharted 2 on wheels.

#76 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

Its beauty is pretty much in the colours.. Textures look almost Perfect Dark Zero. Which I guess are to be expected since its 1) a game that began development on Wii 2) One of Nintendos very first HD-games 3) On a platform that is similar to Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 hardware.

I think the most beautiful Wii U game as of yet is Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. When it look its best it looks like Uncharted 2 on wheels.

Most ground textures and a lot of up close wall textures sure. Especially with the extremely oblique viewing angles and so close. No amount of af in the world will be able to hide that at a cm off the ground, get that close to the environment of uncharted 2 in say Gary's mod, and it completely falls apart. You would need angle specific mipmapping for near every texture, which would require a team in the 3-400's to do in a timely manner, and p3 only had 1/3-1/4 that amount of human resources.

But the areas that got attention, are noticably head and shoulders above anything else. Especially the fauna with that subsurface scattering. Especially when it starts raining and the water starts running off everything.

zlCfzRE1__Ykh-241y_zpsbc0c7d51.jpg
zlCfzRE2QIoFRlGGV0_zps1fbfb2ed.jpg
zlCfzRFJjksOKU3IOi_zps50e6c856.jpg

Especially the shader textures, and bokeh. Not only is the Bokeh more advanced than anything on ps360, its 100% dynamic and user interactive.

At any time the player can touch any object on screen, and adjust the bokeh to focus on that asset.

Spoiler

But also real time effects like real reflections (not just a linear/plane flip for a reflection like ps360 games like nfsmw, (only works for stationary background, the illusion would be destroyed otherwise) beyond what ps360 could handle.

And then theres the liquid physics/ai that comes with (on top of it all). Very branchy and dynamic, not predictable at all, as the player an unpredictable entity has direct effect on when and where his coherency.... fails, ps360 would choke on this guy, because hes not in order/simd freindly.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#77 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Would always be nice but for a game that saw multiple consoles in development they did good. I would recommend checking out the game during the rain it's amazing how different it looks when everything is wet.

#78 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

All these people saying Pikmin3 doesn't look like the screenshots either need to replace their TV's to HDTV's or don't simply own a Wii U.  Hey I love my Xbox360 w/Kinect but even I have to admit the stuff coming from the Wii U lately is legit!

yeah...yeah...yeah...same line from you all the time. Your post usually could be summed up as PS360 > Wii U no matter what happens. They are very highly predictable. I doubt people still take you seriously here. :rolleyes:

Edited by ElderKnight77, 09 August 2013 - 01:20 AM.

#79 JoonKimDMD

JoonKimDMD

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

Wii u is not strong enough to be called Next Gen even if it pulls out its 100% maximum power. Ryze for xbox one and Infamous for PS4 will be the start of the next gen graphic.

#80 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

Wii u is not strong enough to be called Next Gen even if it pulls out its 100% maximum power. Ryze for xbox one and Infamous for PS4 will be the start of the next gen graphic.

The machines are definately more powerful than wii u but...
image_infamous_second_son-22453-2661_001

you might be overselling it.

Unless you are just really REALLY impressed by
AydA1KL.jpg
The power of really REALLY bad and over used instancing.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!