Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Guys! I FOUND A BRIGHT SIDE! The 2DS can't scratch its top screen!

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#22 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

POPULAR

Contrary to what everyone else here thinks, this is actually GENIUS when bundled with the price cut on Wii U. I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First off, Nintendo told Investors that they will make a major profit this year(I can't find the profit amount, I know it was HUGE, like 90 Billion yen or something). They then realize that the Wii U is floundering like a fish out of water and that the PS4, as it stands right now, is the giant grizzly bear that's looking for a snack(Think of Wii U as the fish where PS4 is the bear because of how it's powerful, being financed by a corporation that can take losses on hardware, etc). They then realize that they have to save the Wii U But ALSO that they still have that profit goal to make or investors will be furious with them. 

They then realize that if you follow the web, there is one Nintendo game that is constantly being mentioned :Pokemon X/Y. However, at the current price that the 3DS is selling at, they can't expect to turn around and make massive profits in certain markets such as America. The best way speaking from a logistics standpoint is to have a lower priced version of the 3DS hardware that can play the 3DS Library including Pokemon. Obviously though, They can't price drop any of the 3DS current systems to a lower price due to them making minor profits at the moment. If you had to get rid of a feature on the 3DS to the drop the price, the smartest choice is the 3DS Screen. It's expensive compared to the rest of the system and from my experience with other 3DS owners it's rarely used. You could drop the DS compatibility, but if you're trying to sell this as THE DS model for a low price, you should cover all your bases.

This leads to the creation of the 2DS, which A) Allows for Nintendo to have a Lower Price 3DS that still has 90% of the functionality B ) Have a way to make Pokemon sell to ALL age groups, even those less fortunate in terms of finances(Yes, Pokemon is a $40 game, but you can get Pokemon AND a 2DS for $170. That's opening up a whole new market.) C) Allow for them to cut the Wii U price to $300 WITH a game, making it be $160 less then a PS4 with the same stuff(Yes, PS+ trial, but it's not a full game), and finally D) allows for them to finally begin to push the Wii U sales wise with it's games coming out this fall.

All in all, this is Nintendo going "We can't screw around the profits anymore. It's time to play Hardball." THIS is the Nintendo that consumers want to see, the one that is willing to think outside the box for ways to make profits and is willing to play aggressively with the price. Consumers win by getting a lower priced system, Nintendo wins by gaining a larger install base to sell games to, and Retailers win by having a reason to keep the Wii U on the shelves of stores.

Edited by N Harmonius, 28 August 2013 - 09:16 AM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#23 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Gotta agree with Harmonius. It really isn't that bad once you get past the initial shock.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#24 CookieEpic

CookieEpic

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mostly Cave Story

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

But you can turn off the 3D On a 3DS! WHAT!?

86c.gif

#25 galaga_z

galaga_z

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Anything Mario, Yoshi, Jesus

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think the 2DS looks awesome! It takes me back to my old school gameboy days. Gotta love the minds behind Nintendo's innovators.

Yoshi_signature_by_LiftedWing.png

#26 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

POPULAR

So does this mean there will be another Circle Pad Pro?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#27 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Edited by BrandedSwordsman, 20 May 2018 - 01:48 AM.

#28 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

http://www.castle-vidcons.com/

I knew it. Hes so damn fast, it has to be precognition/psychic visions

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#29 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

#30 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

this is stupid !

all this will mean is that developers will make less 3D games !

#31 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

#32 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

I will see how much it is, if it's really cheap, I am going to get one. I don't care if it's ugly.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#33 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

I will see how much it is, if it's really cheap, I am going to get one. I don't care if it's ugly.

Uh...

The price has been revealed. It's $129 USD

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#34 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I would buy if it could fold.

#35 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Uh...

The price has been revealed. It's $129 USD

%@^*&  that *&^#$*.

Edited by Alph, 28 August 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

pntwQR2.png

It's sad out of all people, this guy gets it while a lot of you don't.

Its sad that you screwed that up so bad. He doesnt come remotely close to getting it.

Making a new kids platform when the biggest 7 and under money maker of all history is about to drop, but the platform its releasing on is restricted from younk kids buying/using it because of potential eye damage IS a brilliant idea.

What that moron is stating is as far as you can possibly get from that idea.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Contrary to what everyone else here thinks, this is actually GENIUS when bundled with the price cut on Wii U. I'll try to explain it the best I can.

First off, Nintendo told Investors that they will make a major profit this year(I can't find the profit amount, I know it was HUGE, like 90 Billion yen or something). They then realize that the Wii U is floundering like a fish out of water and that the PS4, as it stands right now, is the giant grizzly bear that's looking for a snack(Think of Wii U as the fish where PS4 is the bear because of how it's powerful, being financed by a corporation that can take losses on hardware, etc). They then realize that they have to save the Wii U But ALSO that they still have that profit goal to make or investors will be furious with them. 

They then realize that if you follow the web, there is one Nintendo game that is constantly being mentioned :Pokemon X/Y. However, at the current price that the 3DS is selling at, they can't expect to turn around and make massive profits in certain markets such as America. The best way speaking from a logistics standpoint is to have a lower priced version of the 3DS hardware that can play the 3DS Library including Pokemon. Obviously though, They can't price drop any of the 3DS current systems to a lower price due to them making minor profits at the moment. If you had to get rid of a feature on the 3DS to the drop the price, the smartest choice is the 3DS Screen. It's expensive compared to the rest of the system and from my experience with other 3DS owners it's rarely used. You could drop the DS compatibility, but if you're trying to sell this as THE DS model for a low price, you should cover all your bases.

This leads to the creation of the 2DS, which A) Allows for Nintendo to have a Lower Price 3DS that still has 90% of the functionality B ) Have a way to make Pokemon sell to ALL age groups, even those less fortunate in terms of finances(Yes, Pokemon is a $40 game, but you can get Pokemon AND a 2DS for $170. That's opening up a whole new market.) C) Allow for them to cut the Wii U price to $300 WITH a game, making it be $160 less then a PS4 with the same stuff(Yes, PS+ trial, but it's not a full game), and finally D) allows for them to finally begin to push the Wii U sales wise with it's games coming out this fall.

All in all, this is Nintendo going "We can't screw around the profits anymore. It's time to play Hardball." THIS is the Nintendo that consumers want to see, the one that is willing to think outside the box for ways to make profits and is willing to play aggressively with the price. Consumers win by getting a lower priced system, Nintendo wins by gaining a larger install base to sell games to, and Retailers win by having a reason to keep the Wii U on the shelves of stores.

Well said! ;)

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#38 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Well, if you watch the video, they say that Nintendo is aiming for 7-year-olds with it. I definitely wouldn't buy it; if I get a 3DS, I want it to have 3D and have a clamshell design, but I think there's people who this will be great for.

I think 7 year olds would want 3D too and I think it's ok for their eyes since they're over 6 but...meh. Cheaper is still better for them and they might be ok with 2D.

To the people neglecting the 2DS, don't because this is not meant for you. As the video showed it's for younger and casual gamers. Price drop + new design releasing right next to Pokemon and Sonic is genius. 

You guys gotta think about why Nintendo is doing this and understand their motives/ philosophies. 

If you don't understand why Nintendo does certain things, and you don't know their philosophies, you're a Pretendo. It's not about wether or not you play or don't play certain Nintendo games. 

I think it's sad you said Pretendo...No...I think it's pretty horrible.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#39 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

http://kotaku.com/in...typo-1214807721

Apparently it's comfortable to hold and is better balanced. I already have a 3DS XL so I don't need this, but I don't think it's really a bad idea. It IS only $40 less than the 3DS, but that is the cost of one game.

If a family was to get two of these and a game with download play, they would save enough for two more games or for most of the cost of a third one.

Then again, I'm also pro Wii Mini despite never seeing one in anyone's house.

They should have designed the back with the shape like the Wii U GamePad's back has...

AND I DON'T EVEN WANNA KNOW HOW BIG THE 2DS CIRCLE PAD PRO IS GONNA BE
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#40 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

I don't think it has a target audience

I assumed it was for kids too young for the 3D feature; those who can't see the 3D feature, or it just makes them sick; or those who couldn't afford a normal 3DS but still want to get their hands on Pokemon X/Y

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!