Photo

Rubin: "Nintendo Is Irrelevant As A Hardware Manufacturer In The Console Busines

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Former THQ president Jason Rubin recently discussed Nintendo's current state as a hardware maker, saying that the company is essentially "irrelevant" in the console space.

Speaking on the latest episode of GameTrailers' Bonus Round, Rubin said flat out that "Nintendo is irrelevant as a hardware manufacturer in the console business." However, that isn't to say that he doesn't believe there is a lot of value at Nintendo, it's just found in the software. 

He then went on to say how the company is a "worldwide treasure," adding that "it is a crime that we do not play those games on the systems that we have."

Do you agree with the former THQ exec? Is it time that Nintendo focuses on what it does best and delivers its software across a plethora of gaming devices? Let us know in the comments below.

http://www.gamerevol...-business-22865

Oh, look, it's the guy who killed THQ! 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

so basically another washed-up designer is throwing a tantrum since HIS IPs have been driven into the ground and Mario still continues to exist. Another day, another idiot mouthing off to the gaming press in order  to keep in the spotlight

#3 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

So, basically, it's another moron whining that Nintendo games are amazing, but yet are awful because you can't buy them for a system that ends in Station or Box...and also refuses to buy the systems to play said games on.

One of the great thunkers of the world, this one is.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Um... Just some information to shed some light on the subject, Rubin is now the ceo of a mobile/social games company, 'monkey gods'..

Although that probably has nothing to do with this. Theres no way hes constantly trash talking nintendo, a subject and tactic GARUNTEED to start enormous flamewars, which result in TONS of eyes on publicity for his antics, and hes in no way constantly pushing mobile out his spleen because hes trying to get his garbage mobile games propaganda in the air. No, that has nothing to do with it at all.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

If Nintendo ever did go out of the console business and even ceased their handheld line, I'd want them to go mobile. If, for no other reason, to give a gigantic finger to the 'core' gamers who want to see them, not fail completely, but just pull a sega and put their games on their 'hardcore' systems. 

pNgecl.gif

#6 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Thought this was Mark Rubin. Was about to say, dude was at the Wii U reveal.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Ha, someone just let the cat out of the bag on Rubin shilling for his mobile company in the comments.

*Edit*

whoa, its gone now. Did they remove it because of that?

*Edit 2*

Ha ha yep thats totally it. Dont want the cat out of the bag I guess.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Ha, someone just let the cat out of the bag on Rubin shilling for his mobile company in the comments.

*Edit*

whoa, its gone now. Did they remove it because of that?

*Edit 2*

Ha ha yep thats totally it. Dont want the cat out of the bag I guess.

Just for the record dude. I read each and every one of your posts as if they're being spoken by Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate Abridged. All hail the Crimson F**ker!!!

pNgecl.gif

#9 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

If Nintendo ever did go out of the console business and even ceased their handheld line, I'd want them to go mobile. If, for no other reason, to give a gigantic finger to the 'core' gamers who want to see them, not fail completely, but just pull a sega and put their games on their 'hardcore' systems. 

Honestly? I think Nintendo may outlive the Xbox and PlayStation. They're fairly conservative with their finances, and can survive a failed console. The Wii U has not failed. It is not doing as great as the 3DS or Wii ATM, but it has not failed. Nintendo has had home-runs with the Wii, DS, and 3DS; so they have time to decide on what to do next.

That being said, in the unlikely case that Nintendo ever really decided that they can't do consoles anymore; they'd probably partner with Sony. Sony is also based in Japan, so it would be a bit easier for them to communicate. Nintendo would still have enough clout that they could possibly influence PlayStation and Vita design, and get preferential treatment. Nintendo is also practically anal about quality, which would make it impossible to develop for mobiles with varying specifications and capabilities. Nintendo most likely not even do computer gaming, again due to the varying capabilities. They have always programmed based on the maximum capabilities of the device, and have no experience writing code that can scale forwards and backwards. Xbox might be a consideration, but there's no portable device (Surface doesn't count because that's still essentially PC gaming). that just leaves Sony with one portable and one console.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#10 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Irrelevent? Sure their not as powerful anymore and they chose to remain different. But Nintendo has always pushed Hardware forward, from Joy Sticks, to D-Pads, to Triggers, to tradional controller design, to motion gaming, to touchscreen gaming, to handheld gaming. 

And honestly Mario would never work as well on Xbox. I could see some old games, or some modified Nintendo type games (Sonic Dash, Rayman Jungle Run, ect) on Smartphones though. 

Also to top it off, isnt Nintendo the only one that dosent loose millions/billions every year? 

Stupid Snowmads!

#11 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

Nintendo will come out with great 1st party support and make great games and those games won't look as good as ps4/X1 games but graphics don't make a game and several games will come out on PS4/X1 that many will probably say that their the greatest games ever and Nintendo will make one game that gets a high score on metacritic and that one game will be clinched on forever since is the greatest of all time. Nintendo makes games for kids but no since games like Xenoblade exist and games like mad world are published by them but they don't have graphics like Crysis nor have stories to tell like heavy rain or last of us but ps4/X1 produce dumb games that only their market loves like COD AND BATTLEFIELD since those are the only games that are relevant on those systems. The industry is eating itself and Sony and Microsoft are responsible while Nintendo is not because they made wii sports and integrated a tablet since Sony will eventually copy them and Microsoft will make their VCR work and the stars will align and the industry will shout SAVE US and I'll whisper...no.

#12 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

He then went on to say how the company is a "worldwide treasure," adding that "it is a crime that we do not play those games on the systems that we have."

Um... What? He REALLY needs to speak for himself here, because Nintendo consoles are always the first I buy. Why? Because I'm guaranteed a good number of titles that appeal to me. I can't find that consistency very well in the other consoles. It's not that I have no intention to get them (I loved the PS2, and would like to get a PS4 someday), it's just that this comment seems reversed... Instead, I'm wishing that the third party titles could come out on the systems that I have... Nintendo systems.

If games like Kingdom Hearts III made it to the Wii U, I would have absolutely no reason to own a PS4. The Nintendo consoles are NOT the ones that are "irrelevant". They're the only consoles I know I can buy day one and not worry about regretting it in the long term. If Nintendo consoles went away, gaming in its entirety would become irrelevant for me.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#13 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Mediocrity at its best lmao

#14 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

Personally I don't think Mr. Rubin is in any position to comment on Nintendo's business practices considering what happened to THQ.

#15 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

well this is what it is. At this point it is easy for anyone in the industry to make comments like this as the Wii U is surrounded still (after the release of 3dworld one of the years best) with negativity. it is easy to step on someone when they are down. when Wii was selling like hotcake did nintendo get praise... NO it was called a gimmick and no one gave them the respect they deserved. this is just nintendo getting what they industry always gives them

#16 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

Wow, just tried it myself, they are totally censoring anyone in the comments who brings up the fact Jason Rubin is the CEO of a mobile games company. This doesnt even make sense to me. I mean, the video is from gametrailers, a completely different website.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#17 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

Wasn't he the president of THQ..

Says enough..

RIP..

I don't take such man serious.

Edited by namkotje, 02 December 2013 - 05:29 AM.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#18 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

nah, go PC if consol's fail nintendo.

#19 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

Nintendo will come out with great 1st party support and make great games and those games won't look as good as ps4/X1 games but graphics don't make a game and several games will come out on PS4/X1 that many will probably say that their the greatest games ever and Nintendo will make one game that gets a high score on metacritic and that one game will be clinched on forever since is the greatest of all time. Nintendo makes games for kids but no since games like Xenoblade exist and games like mad world are published by them but they don't have graphics like Crysis nor have stories to tell like heavy rain or last of us but ps4/X1 produce dumb games that only their market loves like COD AND BATTLEFIELD since those are the only games that are relevant on those systems. The industry is eating itself and Sony and Microsoft are responsible while Nintendo is not because they made wii sports and integrated a tablet since Sony will eventually copy them and Microsoft will make their VCR work and the stars will align and the industry will shout SAVE US and I'll whisper...no.

No offense but I need some Tylenol after trying to read this.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#20 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

Are you drugged up? 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!