Photo

Rubin: "Nintendo Is Irrelevant As A Hardware Manufacturer In The Console Busines

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

nah, go PC if consol's fail nintendo.

That'd be funny as hell too. The tears, they would be delicious. 

pNgecl.gif

#22 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

I'd pretty much just keep on playing my 3ds/Wii U.....

Um... What? He REALLY needs to speak for himself here, because Nintendo consoles are always the first I buy. Why? Because I'm guaranteed a good number of titles that appeal to me. I can't find that consistency very well in the other consoles. It's not that I have no intention to get them (I loved the PS2, and would like to get a PS4 someday), it's just that this comment seems reversed... Instead, I'm wishing that the third party titles could come out on the systems that I have... Nintendo systems.

If games like Kingdom Hearts III made it to the Wii U, I would have absolutely no reason to own a PS4. The Nintendo consoles are NOT the ones that are "irrelevant". They're the only consoles I know I can buy day one and not worry about regretting it in the long term. If Nintendo consoles went away, gaming in its entirety would become irrelevant for me.

#23 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Home consoles, yes. Handhelds, a little far form it. 

It's true that he completely sunk THQ, but that doesn't mean that he's wrong about this. This generation is most likely lost in terms of the home console business and the handheld business is now only half of what it was last generation.

Nintendo is on the path to irrelevance. It doesn't mean that they're irrelevant now, just walking that way. One thing that I agree though, is that they really are a worldwide treasure.

All they have to do now is continue business as usual this generation (not much can be done about the Wii U now), and reinvent themselves in the next one.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#24 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Home consoles, yes. Handhelds, a little far form it.

It's true that he completely sunk THQ, but that doesn't mean that he's wrong about this. This generation is most likely lost in terms of the home console business and the handheld business is now only half of what it was last generation.

Nintendo is on the path to irrelevance. It doesn't mean that they're irrelevant now, just walking that way. One thing that I agree though, is that they really are a worldwide treasure.

All they have to do now is continue business as usual this generation (not much can be done about the Wii U now), and reinvent themselves in the next one.

You should really, REALLY make sure you know what someone has said before professing you agree with them.

What you think he is saying, what you think you are agreeing with, based off of two snippets of his propaggand packed bs is very, VERY different than what this ceo of a mobile games company actually said.

He is very, VERY wrong, unluss you want the future of videogames to be mobile.

But if you actually WANT games the likes of snood to replace the likes of Zelda... Then by all means...

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#25 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Previous CEO's of THQ & Eidos have all said the same thing in the past what... week?
No doubt these people know what they're talking about.
THQ didn't go bankrupt.
Eidos hasn't made a shambles of a fantastic game (Tomb Raider) by spending way too much and expecting miraculous sales from it.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#26 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

You should really, REALLY make sure you know what someone has said before professing you agree with them.

What you think he is saying, what you think you are agreeing with, based off of two snippets of his propaggand packed bs is very, VERY different than what this ceo of a mobile games company actually said.

He is very, VERY wrong, unluss you want the future of videogames to be mobile.

But if you actually WANT games the likes of snood to replace the likes of Zelda... Then by all means...

I'm sorry if I failed you, your majesty.

I don't care what his intentions are, nor do I want to replace Zelda with anything. I simply agreed that Nintendo is on the path to irelevance. If you don't agree with that, good.

By next gen, mobile as we know it will be dead anyway, the internet will take over all communication services, so Nintendo making a "phone" won't be that hard. The real challenge will be their ability to compete and, above all, innovate.

Posted Image

#27 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

No offense but I need some Tylenol after trying to read this.

Are you drugged up?

It's a joke and that's exactly how I feel after reading this types of threads that show up on Nintendo forums everyday lol.

#28 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'm sorry if I failed you, your majesty.

I don't care what his intentions are, nor do I want to replace Zelda with anything. I simply agreed that Nintendo is on the path to irelevance. If you don't agree with that, good.

By next gen, mobile as we know it will be dead anyway, the internet will take over all communication services, so Nintendo making a "phone" won't be that hard. The real challenge will be their ability to compete and, above all, innovate.

Thats fine and dandy, but not what you said. You said 'He is not wrong'. When youve made it very clear in just this post, you think he is very, very, wrong. You simply agreed with a blurb taken out of context. Again, I bring up my point. Dont blindly agree with people if you never bothered to find out what you are agreeing with. The entire podcast is nothing short of self serving pr for his mobile games company. Disgusting shilling at its most blatant.

Although, I do strongly disagree with your actual intended statement.

The WII U may be on a path to gamecube-esque irrelevence, but that is very, VERY different from nintendo being on a path to irrellevance. If Nintendo was on a path to irrelevance, they wouldnt be constantly besieged and attacked, and constantly have every move watched with an eagle eye. Thats what a company does to something they are frightened of, not one that is becoming irrelevant.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#29 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Thats fine and dandy, but not what you said. You said 'He is not wrong'. When youve made it very clear in just this post, you think he is very, very, wrong. You simply agreed with a blurb taken out of context. Again, I bring up my point. Dont blindly agree with people if you never bothered to find out what you are agreeing with. The entire podcast is nothing short of self serving pr for his mobile games company. Disgusting shilling at its most blatant.

Although, I do strongly disagree with your actual intended statement.

The WII U may be on a path to gamecube-esque irrelevence, but that is very, VERY different from nintendo being on a path to irrellevance. If Nintendo was on a path to irrelevance, they wouldnt be constantly besieged and attacked, and constantly have every move watched with an eagle eye. Thats what a company does to something they are frightened of, not one that is becoming irrelevant.

I'll keep that for future reference, thank you. It's true that I never bothered to read his entire statements, but I trust what you say is true and honestly, I would expect nothing else from the man that destroyed THQ.

About Nintendo though, sure, it'll will always be "relevant" dead or alive, since it's the only company in the industry that people actually care about. Proof of that is the fact that the when the 3DS wasn't selling a dime it was covered by every news site, yet when the Vita turns into the same situation, nobody notices. The difference? People care about Nintendo. And like I said, Nintendo will always be relevant, but I much prefer a relevant health company rather than one struggling to sell their own products (I'm talking about the Wii U here; the handheld market shrinked but it's still a big one ,and the 3DS is doing well). It all depends on what you want them to be relevant for.

Edited by Arkhandar, 02 December 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'll keep that for future reference, thank you. It's true that I never bothered to read his entire statements, but I trust what you say is true and honestly, I would expect nothing else from the man that destroyed THQ.

About Nintendo though, sure, it'll will always be "relevant" dead or alive, since it's the only company in the industry that people actually care about. Proof of that is the fact that the when the 3DS wasn't selling a dime it was covered by every news site, yet when the Vita turns into the same situation, nobody notices. The difference? People care about Nintendo. And like I said, Nintendo will always be relevant, but I much prefer a relevant health company rather than one struggling to sell their own products (I'm talking about the Wii U here; the handheld market shrinked but it's still a big one ,and the 3DS is doing well). It all depends on what you want them to be relevant for.

Honestly, Im not even really sure if Rubin could have done anything to save thq by the time he came aboard. But thats neither here nor there, whats important is what hes doing right now, which is being the ceo of 'Monkey God' a mobile/phone company... Which REALLY puts the things he keeps saying everytime hes 'interviewed' (buys publicity), like mobile gaming is the future, nintendo needs to go mobile to survive etc, into context. This isnt just the former ceo of a console centric publishing house saying these things, and the fact its constantly reported as such is VERY dishonest, to the point of being suspect... He is the ceo of a mobile game company now, pushing mobile propaganda, as is his job.

And yeah, the Wii u appears to be on a path to game cubedom (is it strange that im almost excited for this? I feel like now nintendo will have to pay attention to those like me for a gen, instead of shotgunning for everybody... more metroid, more zelda, more X style games, less nsmb, wii whatever etc) But the fact they as a company still have so much mind share, despite not having the market share share is very, very, important. It means they can suck it up today, and still be around tomorrow to try again.

Nintendo understands this, yeah, they make mistakes, and even if the wii u turns out to be one, thats really a short term issue, whilst nintendo prepares for the long term survivability, even if it means ignoring the easy cash grab today, that would poison the well tomorrow and beyond. Its why Nintendo continues to be around for well over a Century, while thq couldnt hang for 2 decades.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'd kill myself before playing Mario on PlayStation. Or Zelda on Xbox. It's just wrong.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#32 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'd kill myself before playing Mario on PlayStation. Or Zelda on Xbox. It's just wrong.

Then what would you do if you found out he wants them on mobile phones?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#33 McMurphy

McMurphy

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • NNID:McMurphy
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart, Dragon Quest

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

http://www.gamerevol...-business-22865

Oh, look, it's the guy who killed THQ! 

Exactly. I would say that his crystal ball has more than a few cracks in it.

gunslinger_nintendowiiu_banner2.png

#34 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Don't people have more important things to do than go Nostradamus on us wii-u wise, don't they have presents to wrap and stuff like that.

#35 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Wii U was comparable to the GameCube.... It will have some great games for it tho.  As mentioned- with MSFT possibly selling Xbone and with Sony being a more diverse company- it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo is still making consoles but the other two aren't. But Apple and Google might be the next generation of competition......

Honestly, Im not even really sure if Rubin could have done anything to save thq by the time he came aboard. But thats neither here nor there, whats important is what hes doing right now, which is being the ceo of 'Monkey God' a mobile/phone company... Which REALLY puts the things he keeps saying everytime hes 'interviewed' (buys publicity), like mobile gaming is the future, nintendo needs to go mobile to survive etc, into context. This isnt just the former ceo of a console centric publishing house saying these things, and the fact its constantly reported as such is VERY dishonest, to the point of being suspect... He is the ceo of a mobile game company now, pushing mobile propaganda, as is his job.

And yeah, the Wii u appears to be on a path to game cubedom (is it strange that im almost excited for this? I feel like now nintendo will have to pay attention to those like me for a gen, instead of shotgunning for everybody... more metroid, more zelda, more X style games, less nsmb, wii whatever etc) But the fact they as a company still have so much mind share, despite not having the market share share is very, very, important. It means they can suck it up today, and still be around tomorrow to try again.

Nintendo understands this, yeah, they make mistakes, and even if the wii u turns out to be one, thats really a short term issue, whilst nintendo prepares for the long term survivability, even if it means ignoring the easy cash grab today, that would poison the well tomorrow and beyond. Its why Nintendo continues to be around for well over a Century, while thq couldnt hang for 2 decades.

#36 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Then what would you do if you found out he wants them on mobile phones?

If said mobile phone wasn't a Nintendo made phone, I would go crazy. Nintendo makes hardware for their own games.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#37 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

People say that mobile gaming is a big threat to the industry, but when I got my iPhone I did play it for a few days, I played it constantly. Then I realised how I could be playing much better games on my consoles. And I stopped playing mobile games. People that think mobile gaming is equivalent or better than console gaming obviously haven't played console games before..

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#38 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

People say that mobile gaming is a big threat to the industry, but when I got my iPhone I did play it for a few days, I played it constantly. Then I realised how I could be playing much better games on my consoles. And I stopped playing mobile games. People that think mobile gaming is equivalent or better than console gaming obviously haven't played console games before..

Yep.  I have an Android phone and an iPad.  I rarely IF EVER use them to play "mobile gamez."

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#39 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Yep.  I have an Android phone and an iPad.  I rarely IF EVER use them to play "mobile gamez."

I use my iPod to play music lol. Nothing else, except the odd check of facebook (which is better on my laptop anyway).

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#40 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

I was playing some mobile games today flicking, tapping, pinching all the way to the market... then i saw nothing but rainbow games.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!