• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

Doubt South Park would be released on Wii U, but an XBO/PS4 delay makes sense. Doubt they'd announce 3D World DLC so early, even when they said they currently don't have plans for any. Doubt they'd announce or even make a new Banjo. I kinda don't want it to happen so Rare doesn't take a dump on the series' corpse.

#22 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Don't understand your percentages lol. Shouldn't a whole section be out of 100% rather then each individual possibility. Also, scratch SM3DW DLC off they already said they aren't having DLC.

I still stand by they are showing Zelda. 

2lvmghw.png

#23 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

Happy Monk, on 05 Dec 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:
Good. It would be great for Nintendo to show some balls and show Donkey Kong. And I seriously don't get the hate surrounding that game, everyone loved Returns, a sequel therefore is great news. And don't bring up Metroid - I think Retro have made enough of those, four to be precise and more than one company can make Metroid.

I do agree however that the audience of VGX are the kind that would not appreciate something like Donkey Kong (too colourful), I'm thinking it might be X they show.

Brave by showing dk? Theyve done nothing BUT show dk, constantly, all the time, at every single anything, in playable demos, and spoiled almost every single aspect of the game.

On top of that, dk is yet ANOTHER entry into a SEVERELY oversaturated genre on the wii u.... That nobody who owns, or is waiting to buy a wii u, is responding to. No one responded to nsmbu (nobody, is a comparative term compared to the sustained explosion that led to 20-30+ million sales), its by far the lowest tracking entry in the series, no one is buying nsmlu, no one is buying rayman, even 3dworld is doing nothing in japan.

That audience is showing very very very very clearly, that they arent interested in wii u. Makes sense to me. Dont exactly need to spend 400 bocks on a new system for... The same 2d experience that can be done exactly as well on the wii, or ps2, or snes... These people who made these games multi million successes didnt buy the wii to get beefier hardware than gamecube. They dont care about the wii u. The fact it blows the wii out of the water in power means nothing to them. Its 350-400 bucks on something they dont understand as different. So they dont get it. They can leave it behind just like they picked it up. On impulse. This dk, will likely be 10x better than the last one, and it wont sell a fraction as much.

Now all thats left that cares about dk, about side scrolling platformers THAT MUCH, were the same ones who did BEFORE the wii. And they arent any bigger than zelda or metroids fanbase. Probably smaller. And yet they are GROSSLY overserved while everyone else is starved.

The kind of games that are revealed at vga/x appeal far more to nintendo's starving, neglected audience, and not at all to nintendos fat, overstuffed audience.

It is VERY, VERY, VERY clear what KIND of game nintendo should pull from its stable for this event. And as you agree, its not dk.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#24 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

if it's not Zelda I'll be disappointed. I have absolutely no interest in X or Bayonetta.

#25 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

Brave by showing dk? Theyve done nothing BUT show dk, constantly, all the time, at every single anything, in playable demos, and spoiled almost every single aspect of the game.

On top of that, dk is yet ANOTHER entry into a SEVERELY oversaturated genre on the wii u.... That nobody who owns, or is waiting to buy a wii u, is responding to. No one responded to nsmbu (nobody, is a comparative term compared to the sustained explosion that led to 20-30+ million sales), its by far the lowest tracking entry in the series, no one is buying nsmlu, no one is buying rayman, even 3dworld is doing nothing in japan.

That audience is showing very very very very clearly, that they arent interested in wii u. Makes sense to me. Dont exactly need to spend 400 bocks on a new system for... The same 2d experience that can be done exactly as well on the wii, or ps2, or snes... These people who made these games multi million successes didnt buy the wii to get beefier hardware than gamecube. They dont care about the wii u. The fact it blows the wii out of the water in power means nothing to them. Its 350-400 bucks on something they dont understand as different. So they dont get it. They can leave it behind just like they picked it up. On impulse. This dk, will likely be 10x better than the last one, and it wont sell a fraction as much.

Now all thats left that cares about dk, about side scrolling platformers THAT MUCH, were the same ones who did BEFORE the wii. And they arent any bigger than zelda or metroids fanbase. Probably smaller. And yet they are GROSSLY overserved while everyone else is starved.

The kind of games that are revealed at vga/x appeal far more to nintendo's starving, neglected audience, and not at all to nintendos fat, overstuffed audience.

It is VERY, VERY, VERY clear what KIND of game nintendo should pull from its stable for this event. And as you agree, its not dk.

Shown nothing but Donkey Kong? They've shown the same demo a lot and have released two trailers. That's not exactly a huge amount, especially considering it is due for release in February. 3D world has also helped pump interest back into the Wii U, just look at the numbers the console has been selling since that game was launched. 21,000 odd at the game's launch and a jump up to 28,000 the next week. I know these numbers aren't massive but it was just a matter of weeks ago that the Wii U was not even reaching 3,000 units sold on a weekly basis.

Also, I'd hardly call having 4 and soon 5 platformers SEVERELY oversaturated. I agree that these games aren't setting the sales world on fire, but every one released seems to push sales of the console just enough to warrant them. I mean, I can't get enough of platformers, with Rayman Legends being one of the best games I have played this year and Origins never sold amazingly well, meaning Legends was never going to do the numbers, it was and still is unrealistic to think so.

But yes, it would be a silly move for Nintendo to show Donkey Kong, I just think people need to turn their expectations down, expect Donkey Kong is all I'm saying, if it isn't cool for you (unless if you want to see more of the game like me). I just get fed up with people having ludicrously high expectations and then moaning because they haven't been met, and I also get fed up with the unnecessary hate thrown at Donkey Kong.

Edited by Happy Monk, 05 December 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Bring the noise.

#26 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Shown nothing but Donkey Kong? They've shown the same demo a lot and have released two trailers. That's not exactly a huge amount, especially considering it is due for release in February. 3D world has also helped pump interest back into the Wii U, just look at the numbers the console has been selling since that game was launched. 21,000 odd at the game's launch and a jump up to 28,000 the next week. I know these numbers aren't massive but it was just a matter of weeks ago that the Wii U was not even reaching 3,000 units sold on a weekly basis.

Also, I'd hardly call having 4 and soon 5 platformers SEVERELY oversaturated. I agree that these games aren't setting the sales world on fire, but every one released seems to push sales of the console just enough to warrant them. I mean, I can't get enough of platformers, with Rayman Legends being one of the best games I have played this year and Origins never sold amazingly well, meaning Legends was never going to do the numbers, it was and still is unrealistic to think so.

But yes, it would be a silly move for Nintendo to show Donkey Kong, I just think people need to turn their expectations down, expect Donkey Kong is all I'm saying, if it isn't cool for you (unless if you want to see more of the game like me). I just get fed up with people having ludicrously high expectations and then moaning because they haven't been met, and I also get fed up with the unnecessary hate thrown at Donkey Kong.

iGqzlr60nJvMk.gif

What universe are you living in? First off. IT HAS A PLAYABLE DEMO. Thats considerably more than NOTHING AT ALL FOR ANYONE ELSE.

Second off, this game has had footage after footage after footage after footage since e3. GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. How many trailers can you make for freaking donkey kong? Its not like its x, or zelda, or metroid, or anything that has any substance beyond the surface. Two trailers is twice too many. Its had gameplay footage, new levels footage, diddie kong new footage, dixie kong new gameplay footage, and just a day or so ago a giant blow out with reggie and geof with EVEN MORE FOOTAGE.

And 4-5 (The number is much, MUCH higher when you factor in indie titles, many of which are of competitive quality, like giana sisters) is an extremely HIGH number, at the beginning of a systems life when there are less games total, than midway through a systems life, but its especially damning when the other number is ZERO.

AND THEY ARENT EVEN BEING BOUGHT.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#27 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Assuming Nintendo is there to even make an announcement? Who is to say they are not going there to accept their GOTY Award for 3D World...

But if they do unveil a new game trailer it would be for Zelda.... Thats the closest thing Nintendo has in their arsenal that would even remotely interest the Mt.dewdebros that will be at the VGA's (smash could possibly get a good reaction as well)

Nintendo is not that out of touch with reality that they would even possibly think sending Reggie out on stage and saying "The wait is over, Cranky Kong is here!" in front of that crowd and expect any form of positive reaction.

Also I like how the very first prediction is Fallout 4 at 95%

Fallout 4 is Bethesda's Half Life 3/Pokemon MMO/New Megaman game....we wont hear about that anytime soon :P

#28 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

http://www.ign.com/a...ouncements-soon

Welp there goes that big game announcement. 

#29 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

I hope we get something interesting this year from all companies. Every VGA except for the first three has been dreadful. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

http://www.ign.com/a...ouncements-soon

Welp there goes that big game announcement.

LIEEEESSS!!!!!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

L4D3 announced and will be released on PC/Steambox and Wii U(console exclusive)! :P

With Cross-platform multiplayer/...

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#32 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

iGqzlr60nJvMk.gif

What universe are you living in? First off. IT HAS A PLAYABLE DEMO. Thats considerably more than NOTHING AT ALL FOR ANYONE ELSE.

Second off, this game has had footage after footage after footage after footage since e3. GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. How many trailers can you make for freaking donkey kong? Its not like its x, or zelda, or metroid, or anything that has any substance beyond the surface. Two trailers is twice too many. Its had gameplay footage, new levels footage, diddie kong new footage, dixie kong new gameplay footage, and just a day or so ago a giant blow out with reggie and geof with EVEN MORE FOOTAGE.

And 4-5 (The number is much, MUCH higher when you factor in indie titles, many of which are of competitive quality, like giana sisters) is an extremely HIGH number, at the beginning of a systems life when there are less games total, than midway through a systems life, but its especially damning when the other number is ZERO.

AND THEY ARENT EVEN BEING BOUGHT.

I believe I mentioned the demo, I thought the fact it is playable was obvious. All I've seen of the game is one trailer from E3 and one since and some gameplay footage from the E3 show floor. That is all I have seen of the game, nothing else. I didn't see the Reggie geoff thing as I live in the UK and have not looked for it on the internet. Donkey Kong is just as valid as any other game for trailers (beyond overly ambiguous titles) and has plenty of substance beyond the surface, you're acting like Donkey Kong is rubbish (which may be your opinion and I respect that) and a complete waste of time whereas I think the opposite.

On the number of platformers side of your argument, it's Nintendo. Nintendo consoles have always had a large amount of platformers, part of the reason I buy them. Some of my favourite games are these apparently worthless pieces of trash. Nintendo consoles have always had a lack in genres like racing and fighting games, I think even having one in either of those genres is good.

As for the they're not being bought thing, I believe I already agreed with you. Typing it in caps just looks petty and annoying, especially if I've already agreed with you.

P.S. Donkey Kong looks fantastic.

Bring the noise.

#33 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

I believe I mentioned the demo, I thought the fact it is playable was obvious. All I've seen of the game is one trailer from E3 and one since and some gameplay footage from the E3 show floor. That is all I have seen of the game, nothing else. I didn't see the Reggie geoff thing as I live in the UK and have not looked for it on the internet. Donkey Kong is just as valid as any other game for trailers (beyond overly ambiguous titles) and has plenty of substance beyond the surface, you're acting like Donkey Kong is rubbish (which may be your opinion and I respect that) and a complete waste of time whereas I think the opposite.

On the number of platformers side of your argument, it's Nintendo. Nintendo consoles have always had a large amount of platformers, part of the reason I buy them. Some of my favourite games are these apparently worthless pieces of trash. Nintendo consoles have always had a lack in genres like racing and fighting games, I think even having one in either of those genres is good.

As for the they're not being bought thing, I believe I already agreed with you. Typing it in caps just looks petty and annoying, especially if I've already agreed with you.

P.S. Donkey Kong looks fantastic.

Out of Nintendos 3 biggest franchises. The big 3, the holy triforce, only one of them, is a platformer. And for the past three generations, its main entry became an adventure game instead of a platformer, so all 3 of Nintendo's biggest franchises, were adventure games.

Typing in caps just shows how frusterated I am THAT THEY ARENT BUYING!!!! I actually enjoy retro's DK, despite me firmly believing it is a huge waste of their talent and time. A freind gave it to me for free for wii (he could bnever get past the second world XD), and then I later bought it on the eshop for 3ds, where I actually played it.

Yes, DK and its fanbase is just as vaild as anything else. That doesnt mean its as deep, or engaging on the same levels as games like metroid, zelda, or X. Its not. Its clearly not, its a 2d platformer. 2d platformers engage in the here and now, what you see, when you see it, dodge this, jump on that, speed up to make that jump, grap that collectable. There is no philosophy to consider in donkey kongs story, there is no out of the way locales to explore, there is no world lore to uncover. The game relies soley on its gameplay, and level design, and nothing else to garner interest and intruige. Thats fine, it is a very pure arcadey gaming experience. HOWEVER every single thing you SHOW of it, is a spoiler, every character, every move, every level, You dont need to show anything more beyond what is required to discern solid mechanics and level design, and the games general aesthetic.

You dont need anything more. But DK has gotten more. Much mcuh much more. The damn things had new videos shown damn near every month. If not via directs, then through some playable event being covered, or some huge event where geof painfully tries to desperately get any manner of information on ANY kind of game beyond simplistic platformers and is completely denied. DK DK DKD DK DK DKDK DK DK D KDKDK DK {KD KD KDKD KDKdkdKDkdkdkdkkdk dKD k.

So if DK is just as valid, why is it getting far far far far MORE exposure than the NOTHING people interested in other kinda of games are getting?

For people who bought the system for nintendo games BEYOND 2d platformers, we have next to nothing, and from what little we did get, we have since been shown nothing for a very, very, very, long time, while simplistic games that do not need, nor benefit from the exposure, get shown over and over and over and over again. And its not working. The audience who made those games super popular on wii have not made the transition to wii u, and these games are not enticing them to make the transition to wii u. Because these are not the games people upgrade to more powerful systems for.

Nintendo needs to wise up, and begin advertising the experiences the people who actually BOUGHT wii u's are waiting for. Experiences they will NEVER find on ps4 and xbone. And they need to let people know about them, or they will end up with, yet again, the greatest videogames nobody played, once again selling for 200+ dollars a pop... Used, money Nintendo never sees, or 3 million+ pirated copies because players desperate for this kind of gaming experience that only nintendo provides in quality, just cant find a copy to purchase.

Theyve tried the donkey kong genre fans. They have failed. Failed to buy systems, failed to buy software. Its time to move on.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#34 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

Yes, DK and its fanbase is just as vaild as anything else. That doesnt mean its as deep, or engaging on the same levels as games like metroid, zelda, or X. Its not. Its clearly not, its a 2d platformer. 2d platformers engage in the here and now, what you see, when you see it, dodge this, jump on that, speed up to make that jump, grap that collectable. There is no philosophy to consider in donkey kongs story, there is no out of the way locales to explore, there is no world lore to uncover. The game relies soley on its gameplay, and level design, and nothing else to garner interest and intruige. Thats fine, it is a very pure arcadey gaming experience. HOWEVER every single thing you SHOW of it, is a spoiler, every character, every move, every level, You dont need to show anything more beyond what is required to discern solid mechanics and level design, and the games general aesthetic.

Personally, I find games like Mario and Donkey Kong more engaging and enjoyable, never got on with Zelda and Metroid to be honest and I never got round to playing Xenoblade - X's closest relative. And isn't anything you show of anything technically a spoiler? I think maybe I just haven't seen a lot of Donkey Kong, more than I have of Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, but less than I have of Smash Bros and less than was shown for Mario, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 with their respective marketing pushes.

At the end of your post you say this:

'Theyve tried the donkey kong genre fans. They have failed. Failed to buy systems, failed to buy software. Its time to move on.'

Are you forgetting that the game has not been released yet? I assume you are talking about other platformers, because if you are, Mario has certainly helped people to re-evaluate the Wii U, and has caused sales of the console to rise. It can't just be coincidence that the gaming press has become less aggressive towards the Wii U recently, Mario is proving to be something people were waiting for, I just hope more people put their money where their mouth is.

Personally I hope they show more of X or something of SMT X FE.

Edited by Happy Monk, 06 December 2013 - 08:02 AM.

Bring the noise.

#35 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Personally, I find games like Mario and Donkey Kong more engaging and enjoyable, never got on with Zelda and Metroid to be honest and I never got round to playing Xenoblade - X's closest relative. And isn't anything you show of anything technically a spoiler? I think maybe I just haven't seen a lot of Donkey Kong, more than I have of Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2, Yarn Yoshi and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, but less than I have of Smash Bros and less than was shown for Mario, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 with their respective marketing pushes.

At the end of your post you say this:
'Theyve tried the donkey kong genre fans. They have failed. Failed to buy systems, failed to buy software. Its time to move on.'
Are you forgetting that the game has not been released yet? I assume you are talking about other platformers, because if you are, Mario has certainly helped people to re-evaluate the Wii U, and has caused sales of the console to rise. It can't just be coincidence that the gaming press has become less aggressive towards the Wii U recently, Mario is proving to be something people were waiting for, I just hope more people put their money where their mouth is.

Personally I hope they show more of X or something of SMT X FE.

The game is a side scrolling platformer, again, there is nothing much to them besides the pure arcadey gameplay. All other side scrolling platformers, or similar games have sold dismally in comparison to their wii counterparts.

Mario 3dworld has caused a paltry 7k rise in wii u's sold in japan. American numbers arent in yet, and they will undoubtedly be bigger, but this is absolutely nothing, and by far, by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR the smallest impact mario has EVER made, with one of the greatest entries he has ever made.

That audience is simply not responding. Unless you are going to get all your peers to buy 10 copies each of all these platformers, its not working out. Everyday, and before every event, all the time, every time, always, across the internet, dissapointed fans get their hopes up, despite knowing better, that nintendo will show something for them, internet wide, the buzz goes up, google trends goes up. X, zelda, metroid... ANd every time they are horribly dissapointed, usually by DK.

Perhaps its time Nintendo stopped shoving a constant stream of videogame calories down the swollen fat throats of the artery clogged gelatinous platformer fans that are ALSO perfectly served on 3ds, whih can handle ANY 2d platformer that Nintendo could ever want to put on wii u.

Wall-E-2.jpg

And tossed a bone to the anemic, skeletal, starving people waiting on Fantastic Nintendo adventure games.
http://drawception.c...dyF-4.png[\img]

Platformers are far oversaturating the wii u. And it wouldnt be as much as a problem if nintendo would just SHOW US, some more of the things we actually want.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#36 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

not really that surprised by mario not doing well. nintendo has been giving similar mario games on COD like iterations. on top of that 3d world gives no noticable inovation to make it look beyond say galaxie. it looks like a generic mario with minor new features from the outside. It didnt have anything to help sell the game, at all. best to try something completly new with mario, like sunshine and galaxie did, or wait a long enough time that a mario would be welcome, like if metroid or Fzero were to be released soon. 

starting in ruffly 2010 nintendo has never fegured out what people want from games. =/

#37 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Non-Nintendo games:  Tomb  Raider, Uncharted, Gears/God of War, Red Dead.. Big names like that will be shown without a doubt. However,  I'm mostly interested in Nintendo since I won't be buying another next-gen console other than the Wii U anytime  soon. (but damn I do hope a new Resident Evil! Even if it's another 'spin-off' or 'in-between' title like Revelations, I  just want moar horror)

People that are saying Zelda have a  serious point going on,  I'll admit that. Nintendo has the perfect oppurtunity to announce something GREAT to a more hardcore audience. But  I don't expect a big title like that. Why? Because of the simple fact.. it's  Nintendo we're  talking about. They haven't been that good in deciding what people want and which audience wants what lately. Remember the announcement of Retro's  big game everybody wants them to make? Sure you do.  Did you want a new Metroid,  Zelda, Starfox or new IP? Yes you did. But Nintendo did not deliver.  They have been completely working against  any expectations lately.  So dear folks, no matter how much I want a new Zelda and no matter how much 'evidence' there is.. I think you might be a little bit too hopeful.

Also.. a new Zelda just  released. And  Nintendo didn't make a huge official announcement that  they were coming to VGX..  we've heard it mainly from  tweets and interviews. Unless they want a big surprise  reveal, they would have hyped their appearance WAY more.  Hell,  I  won't even be surprised if they didn't show a new game at all. It's an  X or  Bayonetta trailer if  we're lucky guys.

Don't get your hopes up.  I  don't want the internet flooding with  hateful comments that they didn't show Zelda.

No sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!