• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

We all knew 9M was a pipe dream and holding to that wasn't going to happen, but that bad of a forecast miss will kill your bottom line.

http://news.yahoo.co...-123512934.html

#2 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:08 AM

The goal should have been revised in the last meeting.

#3 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Can't say I didn't see this coming.

#4 Ledo Jaeger

Ledo Jaeger

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • NNID:Aarony

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

I'm curious to see if the U will take a 3DS-like turn in sales.

In other words, I love you

#5 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

Fire Iwata

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#6 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

You stole Zinix's thread!

Also, not really that surprised. Actually I'm not surprised at all.

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

lol, get wrecked you piece of rainbow iwata.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

Ohmygawrd!!! I never saw this coming! Did anyone see this coming?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Ohmygawrd!!! I never saw this coming! Did anyone see this coming?

*slowly raises hand*

I seriously hope this lights a fire under Nintendo's ass, but in the right way. They can't just ignore what the rest of the industry is doing and think everything is fine. They need to start either getting more GOOD third parties on their system or if they want to continue this idea of living solely off their exclusive offerings then those offerings are going to have to go way through the roof. 

They need to start spending some of that DS and Wii money on new devs teams as well as acquiring other studios to work for them. 

pNgecl.gif

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

*slowly raises hand*

I seriously hope this lights a fire under Nintendo's ass, but in the right way. They can't just ignore what the rest of the industry is doing and think everything is fine. They need to start either getting more GOOD third parties on their system or if they want to continue this idea of living solely off their exclusive offerings then those offerings are going to have to go way through the roof. 

They need to start spending some of that DS and Wii money on new devs teams as well as acquiring other studios to work for them.

Oh, its definately lit a fire under their ass, but not in the right way. Not in the right way at all.

"We cannot continue a business without winning," Iwata said on Friday during a press conference attended by Bloomberg. "We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for 20,000 yen or 30,000 yen, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each.

"We are thinking about a new business structure," Iwata added. "Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business.

Nintendo is basically my last refuge of non crap gaming, and what little they have to offer me in the way of the REASON I play videogames is LITERALLY maybe 4-5 games a generation, extremely anemic... With maybe, if Im lucky, a title or two a generation per platform on other systems. Indie devs seem to be heading in the right direction, but for the most part simply arent strong enough yet, and I dont see them growing with obstacles like activision and EA in the way.

If Nintendo concedes to this BS, I will probably simply be done gaming, and it has nothing to do with 'growing out of it' It just all turned to rainbowe underneath my very feet.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Saw that this morning.  I thought the 3ds was selling better than 13m.  If the projection holds for the fiscal year ending in March, the Wii U will have 6.2 million

#12 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Oh, its definately lit a fire under their ass, but not in the right way. Not in the right way at all.

"We cannot continue a business without winning," Iwata said on Friday during a press conference attended by Bloomberg. "We must take a skeptical approach whether we can still simply make game players, offer them in the same way as in the past for 20,000 yen or 30,000 yen, and sell titles for a couple of thousand yen each.

"We are thinking about a new business structure," Iwata added. "Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business.

Nintendo is basically my last refuge of non crap gaming, and what little they have to offer me in the way of the REASON I play videogames is LITERALLY maybe 4-5 games a generation, extremely anemic... With maybe, if Im lucky, a title or two a generation per platform on other systems. Indie devs seem to be heading in the right direction, but for the most part simply arent strong enough yet, and I dont see them growing with obstacles like activision and EA in the way.

If Nintendo concedes to this BS, I will probably simply be done gaming, and it has nothing to do with 'growing out of it' It just all turned to rainbowe underneath my very feet.

Smartphones and tablets?

You have got to be kidding me, Iwata. This is really a joke, right? ...Right?

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#13 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I wonder if it would benefit Nintendo to leave the home console market altogether?

Maybe focus on the handheld market and maybe start making mini games, card games etc for smartphones and tablets? Nintendo's problem seems to be that their studio's cannot support two devices, so at this moment in time the 3DS is being prioritised over the Wii U.

Maybe Nintendo need to open up more studio's, find more creative talent and try to bring out some new IP's. Also marketing is an area where Nintendo can improve.

#14 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Yeah I read that quote, made my stomach turn a little. Part of me wonders though if that was just a knee jerk response by Iwata. Anyone with half a brain knows that the last thing in their long term interest is pushing their stuff on to tablets and phones. That would effectively eliminate the ONLY reason to ever buy Nintendo hardware.

It's not the console business that's screwed up, it's their way of approaching the console business. It's pretty sad because I feel like they really could have had it this gen if they had just done things differently. I love the gamepad, but if they sacrificed specs for it then they should have just gone with a traditional controller. Nintendo needs to quite trying to force innovation through hardware and instead go back to innovating through software like they used to.

pNgecl.gif

#15 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

I'm with you here- tho if anybody can make a comeback, it will be Nintendo.  

#16 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Smartphones and tablets?

You have got to be kidding me, Iwata. This is really a joke, right? ...Right?

Whats the big deal if they unleash the Virtual Console Library onto IOS and Android?

If they start making new games for smartphones and tablets then I'll be pissed, But I have no problem with them making some quick and easy money by tapping into that nostalgia vein with a potential market of 1.5 Billion+ consumers.

They'd be fools to not release their old games on smartphones, Super Mario Bros alone is going to just make an insanely stupid amount of money, There is no reason why Nintendo cant completely dominate that market.

Look out Angry Birds and Candy Crush, The Plumber is on his way......

Edited by Mitch, 17 January 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#17 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Reading your guys comments amuse me. When will you get the concept that games like Z3elda sell systems and even if the Wii U still sells at this rate it will still sale about as much as the Gamecube?

Signature_DK.png

#18 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

that number is even worse than the worst predictions.

#19 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

I thought they were trying to make Wii U hit 9 million lifetime sales, not sell another 9 million from last fiscal year
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#20 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Reading your guys comments amuse me. When will you get the concept that games like Z3elda sell systems and even if the Wii U still sells at this rate it will still sale about as much as the Gamecube?

That idea is all well and good if the company can remain viable. If I were a share holder I would be pissed if my stock dropped 16% in one day because the company can't forecast....they do have that fiduciary responsibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!