Photo

IP.Board has a reputation system - do you want to enable it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: IP.Board has a reputation system - do you want to enable it? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I enable IP.Board's reputation system?

1. Yes (11 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Don't care (will be treated as a no) (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

You may or may not know that IP.Board has a reputation system built into it. I've left it switched off for the time being, because of my bad experience with vBulletin's rep system over at 3DS Buzz. However, IP.Board's is different, and I think it may be possible for us to use it responsibly. But I don't want to enable it without getting your opinion on it first.

The way it works is like this: every post on the forums has a reputation score. It starts at zero, and every member can either add or subtract a point from it. The idea is for witty, informative, or just plain well-written posts to get voted up. An option is available at the bottom of every topic page that lets you show only high- or low-rated posts.

Every point a post collects counts towards the poster's reputation score, which can be displayed on their profile.

If we decide to activate the reputation system, I will definitely disable the deduction of reputation points as well as the display of points on users' profiles. The former opens the door to irresponsible downvoting, and the latter will create feelings of jealousy between members. Unlike vBulletin, you cannot leave a private comment with your reputation addition, and the posts' scores are anything but private - they are displayed very clearly in the lower-right corner of each post.

Keeping all that in mind, do you think it's a good idea for me to enable the reputation system, or is it better if we keep it off? The reason I'm a bit opposed to it is that I feel it loses its purpose after a while, but on the other hand, having it in place could help us dig up great posts from the forums further on. Vote in the poll, and please reply with your comments on this.

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

You may or may not know that IP.Board has a reputation system built into it. I've left it switched off for the time being, because of my bad experience with vBulletin's rep system over at 3DS Buzz. However, IP.Board's is different, and I think it may be possible for us to use it responsibly. But I don't want to enable it without getting your opinion on it first.

The way it works is like this: every post on the forums has a reputation score. It starts at zero, and every member can either add or subtract a point from it. The idea is for witty, informative, or just plain well-written posts to get voted up. An option is available at the bottom of every topic page that lets you show only high- or low-rated posts.

Every point a post collects counts towards the poster's reputation score, which can be displayed on their profile.

If we decide to activate the reputation system, I will definitely disable the deduction of reputation points as well as the display of points on users' profiles. The former opens the door to irresponsible downvoting, and the latter will create feelings of jealousy between members. Unlike vBulletin, you cannot leave a private comment with your reputation addition, and the posts' scores are anything but private - they are displayed very clearly in the lower-right corner of each post.

Keeping all that in mind, do you think it's a good idea for me to enable the reputation system, or is it better if we keep it off? The reason I'm a bit opposed to it is that I feel it loses its purpose after a while, but on the other hand, having it in place could help us dig up great posts from the forums further on. Vote in the poll, and please reply with your comments on this.

I'd have to say not to add it, It may seem like it helps to dig up old posts that were great, but i agree that that it would lose it's purpose way too quickly

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

I think that Reputation is good if it's used properly. I think that you should activate it for now, and if it loses it's purpose later you could disable it.

#4 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

I agree with AMAC, we won't see whether it loses its purpose until we try it.

Furthermore, the post count is already enough to create feelings of jealousy (Wertville! I'm totally gonna make more posts than you!), so if you enable the reputation system, there's no point in hiding the reputation score. After all, you don't get reputation points for nothing, you have to get them with good posts, and feelings of jealousy could lead to more people making better posts than before.

Posted Image

#5 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

I agree with AMAC, we won't see whether it loses its purpose until we try it.

Furthermore, the post count is already enough to create feelings of jealousy (Wertville! I'm totally gonna make more posts than you!), so if you enable the reputation system, there's no point in hiding the reputation score. After all, you don't get reputation points for nothing, you have to get them with good posts, and feelings of jealousy could lead to more people making better posts than before.

Or it could lead to people handing out reputation pointlessly to boost each others' scores, which is exactly what I want to avoid.

#6 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:27 AM

Too easy to be misused if you ask me.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#7 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Trek, Fringe, NCIS, yoshis, fantasy

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

If "don't care" will be interpreted as a "no", why you put it? :P

I personally don't see a problem with trying. As pointed out by AMAC, you can always disable it later.

These are my dragon persona Darren's parents. Or Darrents, if you will.
Posted Image

#8 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:01 AM

Or it could lead to people handing out reputation pointlessly to boost each others' scores, which is exactly what I want to avoid.

It's your job as an admin to prevent something like that :P

Posted Image

#9 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

I feel that a reputation system is very useful, especially on larger forums. It can help people see what the community thinks, and who are the people who say the most useful, thought-provoking and interesting posts.

However, it doesn't matter how much you try and prevent it, immature members will abuse the system. You can lessen the amount they can by doing things like implementing it before many of them show up (Like... Now), or by not allowing them to give rep until they have reached a certain post count or reputation.

Also I think not allowing the display of rep and decrease of it would be slightly counter-productive. Displaying reputation allows newer members to see who they should listen too- because those people have experience. And should a respected member turn to the dark side, his reputation should drop. Actually, I knew a person on a smaller forum I go to, a well-respect person... Until he posted some 'images' and got himself banned. A bit of an extreme case, but it happens.

(And you will never beat my pc guest, lemme just show you what I can do without spamming... On a much smaller forum

>: D)

Soo... Umm...+1 yes. :P

Edit: Just fixin mah evil-smiley. :P

Edited by Wertville, 30 April 2011 - 10:18 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#10 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

No. Kinda like facebook, it will eventually become a contest to get the highest rating.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#11 Ephesus

Ephesus

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Trek, Fringe, NCIS, yoshis, fantasy

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:24 AM

As pointed out by AMAC, you can always disable it later.

Just a reminder.
Then again, the opposite is just as true.

These are my dragon persona Darren's parents. Or Darrents, if you will.
Posted Image

#12 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

You know, I guess the only way we can know whether it's a good idea or not is to give it a shot. Reputation's been enabled.

#13 Ostro

Ostro

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dreamcast, Shmups

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:35 AM

Maybe do something like that feature is only enabled for "trusted" members who don't screw it.
The only problem with that is that you can't really know who's trusted. I have dealt with that problem before and came up with a simple function that takes account of
activeness
word count per post
for how long is the member registered

Thought this might help.

#14 HaHa-No

HaHa-No

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Fandom:
    Lucky Star, Animal Crossing, Darkwave.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

I'd rather not have this... considering my previous experience with this system. Which I wish not to discuss.

http://www.20b.org/

^Click it

^I agree with this guy

You know you want to! 'Tis leaked Nintendo information!

#15 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Maybe do something like that feature is only enabled for "trusted" members who don't screw it.
The only problem with that is that you can't really know who's trusted. I have dealt with that problem before and came up with a simple function that takes account of
activeness
word count per post
for how long is the member registered

Thought this might help.

Eh...if we can't trust people to give reputation responsibly, I think it's easier and more reasonable to just disable the reputation system entirely.

I'd rather not have this... considering my previous experience with this system. Which I wish not to discuss.

IP.Board's reputation system is quite different from vBulletin's. There's no way for what happened to you to happen with this one.

#16 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

I don't think newer members would like that idea. Some people could feel less important or valued if they weren't allowed to give rep but others were.

@Feld0- So apart from the comments and the numbers at the bottom of posts, what are the main differences between IP.Board reputation and vBulletin Reputation?

#17 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

I don't think newer members would like that idea. Some people could feel less important or valued if they weren't allowed to give rep but others were.

@Feld0- So apart from the comments and the numbers at the bottom of posts, what are the main differences between IP.Board reputation and vBulletin Reputation?

There are no comments associated with the reputation, posts' reputation scores are public, as you said, and I can control whether users' total reputation scores are visible or not. I'm thinking that by hiding users' rep scores, it will prevent jealousy and pointless +repping like what's happening at 3DS Buzz right now. You can also use a little bar at the bottom of every topic page to control whether you can only see high-rated posts. Think of it as a post-rating system rather than a point-collection system.

#18 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

I don't think people abusing the system will be a problem... Seeing as the system, as far as I know, has only been used twice...

In this thread... for the same post......... :/

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, of course.

Edited by Wertville, 09 May 2011 - 11:13 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#19 Someone

Someone

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

I think it's a good thing to try; in the past, it hasn't worked out, but this time might work. I'm glad there's no comments along with the reputation, since it's led to hurtful things in the past, and I'm also glad that there isn't a negative reputation, since there's been many times where people might deduct reputation for not agreeing with another person or for being in an argument. Also, if this doesn't work out—like the previous time—it can easily be disabled. Can you view who's given what reputation? That would also be useful if reputation was spammed, since you could disable reputation for that specific person if others are using it properly. I just hope it actually works this time!

#20 Limelight788

Limelight788

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo, Gran Turismo

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm okay with us using the point system for now. We'll have to see how it goes before we disable it, thought I honestly wouldn't whine if it was discontinued.

The Official Mega Man for SSB4 Thread

megaman-2.gif

Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Click on the link in the text and show your support!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!