Photo

IP.Board has a reputation system - do you want to enable it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: IP.Board has a reputation system - do you want to enable it? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I enable IP.Board's reputation system?

1. Yes (11 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Don't care (will be treated as a no) (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

I think it's a good thing to try; in the past, it hasn't worked out, but this time might work. I'm glad there's no comments along with the reputation, since it's led to hurtful things in the past, and I'm also glad that there isn't a negative reputation, since there's been many times where people might deduct reputation for not agreeing with another person or for being in an argument. Also, if this doesn't work out—like the previous time—it can easily be disabled. Can you view who's given what reputation? That would also be useful if reputation was spammed, since you could disable reputation for that specific person if others are using it properly. I just hope it actually works this time!

I don't think that regular members like us can see who's given reputation, although I'm guessing there'll be a way for Feld0 to check. You can see where reputation has been given by looking at the number in the bottom right corner of the post. As you've probably noticed, the rep system on IP.Boards is very different to the one on vBulletin.

#22 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

I think it's a good thing to try; in the past, it hasn't worked out, but this time might work. I'm glad there's no comments along with the reputation, since it's led to hurtful things in the past, and I'm also glad that there isn't a negative reputation, since there's been many times where people might deduct reputation for not agreeing with another person or for being in an argument. Also, if this doesn't work out—like the previous time—it can easily be disabled. Can you view who's given what reputation? That would also be useful if reputation was spammed, since you could disable reputation for that specific person if others are using it properly. I just hope it actually works this time!

I don't think that regular members like us can see who's given reputation, although I'm guessing there'll be a way for Feld0 to check. You can see where reputation has been given by looking at the number in the bottom right corner of the post. As you've probably noticed, the rep system on IP.Boards is very different to the one on vBulletin.

Everyone can see who has given a post reputation. Just click the little number at the bottom-right corner of the post.

#23 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

Everyone can see who has given a post reputation. Just click the little number at the bottom-right corner of the post.

I just tried that. Nothing happens. Are you sure this isn't a mod/admin only thing.

#24 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

I just tried that. Nothing happens. Are you sure this isn't a mod/admin only thing.

...turns out it was an admin-only thing. But not anymore. :P

I fixed the permissions. Every registered member should be able to see the reputations now.

#25 Homer Fanboy

Homer Fanboy

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Fandom:
    I am a Simpsons freak!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

I think this is great! Over at 3DS Buzz, it got a little out of hand. Contests were formed, and it really defeated the purpose of it. =P I'm also glad there are no comments anymore.

#26 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

...turns out it was an admin-only thing. But not anymore. :P

I fixed the permissions. Every registered member should be able to see the reputations now.

Yep, it's working fine now. :D

#27 Someone

Someone

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

I've seen reputation being misused (as in given for the reasons that shouldn't be used to give reputation (i.e. giving a post reputation because they have/like something in it, not because it has something worthy of reputation in it)), so it's starting to look like a repeat of how it was on 3DS Buzz. Maybe it would be best to just have it disabled so people could just judge a person by how well their posts are, not how much reputation the user has!

#28 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

I've seen reputation being misused (as in given for the reasons that shouldn't be used to give reputation (i.e. giving a post reputation because they have/like something in it, not because it has something worthy of reputation in it)), so it's starting to look like a repeat of how it was on 3DS Buzz. Maybe it would be best to just have it disabled so people could just judge a person by how well their posts are, not how much reputation the user has!

While liking what someone says is bad in a global reputation system, like the one once used on 3DS buzz, this one is more like the 'Like' button on facebook...

It's not really a reputation system at all.

Of course, if people start liking posts for the sake of liking them.... Then we've got a problem.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#29 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

While liking what someone says is bad in a global reputation system, like the one once used on 3DS buzz, this one is more like the 'Like' button on facebook...

It's not really a reputation system at all.

Of course, if people start liking posts for the sake of liking them.... Then we've got a problem.

In IP.Board 3.2, they've actually added an option to change it to a "like" system outright (we'll be switching to it as soon as IPB 3.2 goes gold). But yes, think of it as a like system rather than a reputation system, and it suddenly solves a lot of problems.

#30 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:52 PM

In IP.Board 3.2, they've actually added an option to change it to a "like" system outright (we'll be switching to it as soon as IPB 3.2 goes gold). But yes, think of it as a like system rather than a reputation system, and it suddenly solves a lot of problems.

Maybe add some way to know why they liked it? it would help cut down on the like just for liking reason

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#31 Someone

Someone

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

That could cause certain members to think they're under a cloak of anonymity, though, which can lead to people insulting others (there's a certain person who did it, and I'm sure he knows who he is). That could be fixed if the message was public, though, so if that's possible, I think it's a good idea. It would be the best if they had to leave a reason why, and if there wasn't a total amount of likes by a person, since that inevitably leads to people that compete for more reputation/likes.

Edited by Someone, 13 June 2011 - 10:14 PM.

#32 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

I can't say I've noticed anyone misusing reputation if I'm honest. I don't see how this system can really be used to insult people, whereas that was one of the problems with the system over at 3DS Buzz. No one seems to be competing for reputation at the moment from what I've seen.

#33 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

Maybe add some way to know why they liked it? it would help cut down on the like just for liking reason

If you like a certain post and want to explain why, why not just quote it and reply to the topic?

When you start associating comments with "rep votes," problems arise due to their anonymous or pseudo-anonymous nature. Trust me, we've been there on 3DS Buzz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!