Photo

Retro Studio: Wii U "great box to make games on." New game already in the works.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

#21 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:42 AM

I think the first two Primes were fantastic games (especially with the Trilogy controls), but Corruption was dumbed down to a standard fps. So I don't if they would be the best people to make a sequel.

#22 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

I think the first two Primes were fantastic games (especially with the Trilogy controls), but Corruption was dumbed down to a standard fps. So I don't if they would be the best people to make a sequel.

Actually, the main person responsible for that left retro after corruption, to from armature studios. SO from a design standpoint, now would be a FANTASTIC time to revisit metroid. Or cut their teeth on a new exploration adventure ip.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#23 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

A new action/adventure game would be cool, something with lots of exploration. Something in the same vein as Assassins Creed IV, Tomb Raider, Uncharted etc.

#24 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

A new action/adventure game would be cool, something with lots of exploration. Something in the same vein as Assassins Creed IV, Tomb Raider, Uncharted etc.

Not sure that I'd count Uncharted under "lots of exploration"

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#25 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

I either want to see them go after Starfox OR work on an entirely new IP. Then Metroid would be a distant third. I love the Prime series (and for the record an HD collection would be Godly) but I do feel that they did everything the could with the series. I'd like to see another third person Metroid in the vein of Other M but more refined. 

pNgecl.gif

#26 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Not sure that I'd count Uncharted under "lots of exploration"

i've never actually played it but it looks like a fun adventure game. I didnt know if it had exploration elements or not.

#27 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

i've never actually played it but it looks like a fun adventure game. I didnt know if it had exploration elements or not.

Not really. It's just shy from textbook linear. 

pNgecl.gif

#28 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

I either want to see them go after Starfox OR work on an entirely new IP. Then Metroid would be a distant third. I love the Prime series (and for the record an HD collection would be Godly) but I do feel that they did everything the could with the series. I'd like to see another third person Metroid in the vein of Other M but more refined.

I think the GamePad would be awesome for a sequel to Other M. Keep the 2D scrolling on the TV, and the second screen would be used for looking around in 3D. For example, stop moving and look around by moving the screen and be able to see stuff you normally couldn't. Like what is above you or to your right or left. Or below you. You can see everything in a way that no other 2D platformer would be able to normally.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#29 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thats not similar to metroid at all. Thats the exact opposite of metroid. Call of duty kids cant even figure out how to make metroid crawl.

Sounds like they might be working on a new ip by them talking about how much they like dk and metroid and how they would love to 'visit them again someday'...

By new IP I just mean not dk or metroid, not necessarily a new IP, though I would LOVE a new original IP from retro. Ill be happy just as ong as its a deep immersive adventure.

Samus doesnt have a brother, rumoured or otherwise, that was Sylux, overall awesomesauce badarse and my main in multiplayer on metroid hunters, in his stolen federation prototype ship, the Delano 7.

delano7andnotdelano7hj7.png
The ship was probably slightly tweaked because such a primitive design from the ds game would look bad on the wii, and likely to make the ship look more like Sylux's alt form.

200px-Lockjaw_mph_Artwork.png

Sylux is often rumored to be her long lost brother. Ship design for Samus changes from game to game even if slightly in some. Been playing the series since 1987. Sylux has a deep pasionate hatred for Samus and the Federation but mianly Samus and other things have long rumored since Hunters and MP3 she has a long lost brother and he's not happy. I believe it is her brother and it's clear he has a important role in the lore of the series.

Edited by Ryudo, 01 March 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#30 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Not really. It's just shy from textbook linear. 

Huh, that's interesting. I would've thought a game about a treasure hunter would be big on exploration but I guess not.

#31 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Thats not similar to metroid at all. Thats the exact opposite of metroid. Call of duty kids cant even figure out how to make metroid crawl.

It's the one game people think can appeal to the west.
If you're right then it will bomb.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#32 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Huh, that's interesting. I would've thought a game about a treasure hunter would be big on exploration but I guess not.

Not really. It's basically move from point A to point B with a gun fight or two in between or some 'platforming', and maybe a blatantly obvious environmental 'puzzle' once in a blue moon. The only real exploration aspect is that there are these little tiny treasures you can sometimes find around in the areas that are usually tucked away in corners or out of sight areas. 

I think the GamePad would be awesome for a sequel to Other M. Keep the 2D scrolling on the TV, and the second screen would be used for looking around in 3D. For example, stop moving and look around by moving the screen and be able to see stuff you normally couldn't. Like what is above you or to your right or left. Or below you. You can see everything in a way that no other 2D platformer would be able to normally.

Yeah, I saw a fan concept picture that had that set up. There's a lot of cool things I think they could do. I get why a lot of people dislike Other M but I think from a gameplay perspective it would make a for a decent foundation. Bring back the exploration, traditional health, and format but also at least try for a semi-involved story. Personally I'd like to see a Metroid where you switch between the Varia and Zero suits for different situations/exploration.

For example the Varia suit would come with more armor/firepower, breathe in space/water, and protection from environmental hazards (along with the usual assortment of abilities). Then you could have the Zero suit which would give Samus the ability to swim, climb ladders, more acrobatic maneuvers, etc. but also be vulnerable to heat, running out of oxygen, not going out in to space, etc. 

pNgecl.gif

#33 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Uncharted 3 came with my PS3. COuld not stand the game. It has some great theme music and high production values but I just can't stand some things about it. It wants me to believe I will be able to explore but in reality it's a movie letting you play when it wants you to and then..it was one of three things. tedious TPS, hang on to glowy thing and don't fall off glowy things or solve half assed puzzled before shooting for 25 minutes and 10 minutes and glowy things to climb and hang onto.

Also the game seems to forget any concious or consequences for the character after shuld just shot and blew up 50 men. Just move on the next cutscene and rinse and repeat and this is why I did not make it far with Last of Us..Uncharted with mushroom men.  I know many love Naughty Dog but I can't stand thier movie games. I'm not big on games trying to be films.

#34 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Uncharted 3 came with my PS3. COuld not stand the game. It has some great theme music and high production values but I just can't stand some things about it. It wants me to believe I will be able to explore but in reality it's a movie letting you play when it wants you to and then..it was one of three things. tedious TPS, hang on to glowy thing and don't fall off glowy things or solve half assed puzzled before shooting for 25 minutes and 10 minutes and glowy things to climb and hang onto.

Also the game seems to forget any concious or consequences for the character after shuld just shot and blew up 50 men. Just move on the next cutscene and rinse and repeat and this is why I did not make it far with Last of Us..Uncharted with mushroom men.  I know many love Naughty Dog but I can't stand thier movie games. I'm not big on games trying to be films.

SMSunshine_Toad(species).jpg

pNgecl.gif

#35 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

huh?

I don't understand that response or if it was just random

Edited by Ryudo, 01 March 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#36 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

huh?

I don't understand that response or if it was just random

I didn't know the Toads were in LoU

pNgecl.gif

#37 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

I didn't know the Toads were in LoU

Fungus Zombies basically mushrooms whatever.

Some of them looked like a giant shriveled  blu waffle face.

Edited by Ryudo, 01 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#38 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Well, it is a fungus that attacks the brain. If they had giant shrivelled blu waffle penis swords...

Uncharted comes off as an exploration game because it does centre around exploration, however not in the open world genre sense. The vast exploration comes from settings. The series has shifted over jungles, deserts, islands and mountains. Your typical shooter game doesn't really even try to do that, in which you pretty much get stuck in urban/suburban zones or teleported to whereversville.

And to start with Uncharted 3 is just simply bad luck, notably the worst in the whole franchise. All the effects that made the first two great were lackluster in the third, although the good team was working The Last of Us.

The only problem with Uncharted is that my friend always goes for the Dragon Sniper in multiplayer. He lets the team down so much.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#39 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

Better not be. Metroid is not going to save the Wii U, Retro should put all the mind and creativity into something awesome.

Disagree. An epic, fps with the flair of metroid and a compelling storyline setting up a new series is exactly what the wii u needs. Especially one that shows off the wii us true new generation roots.

The last thing wii u needs is another platformer.

Zelda, metroid, smash, kart, and all do well to balance out the first party offerings and create compelling reasons to game on Nintendo hardware.

Saying retro shouldn't do metroid is like saying konami should stop metal gear. Or Nintendo should stop Mario.

The wii u is in DIRE need of a hot rod metroid game right now.

#40 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

It's presentation and level design are very fun especially the 2nd one, I recommend you try it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!