Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

POPULAR

Oh boy, Controversy Bingo! 

Let's see:

Generalities, got it.

Stereotypes, ditto.

Bandwagon, got that too.

Blame game, I'm on a roll!

Composition, only need one more on that row.

Anecdotal, Bingo!

I guess I'm not cool because I like good ol' US. Sure, the government sucks right now, mostly due to a bad president, but that's nothing new. We have so many privileges that quite a few countries could only dream of, so I doubt I'll be leaving permanently anytime soon.

I don't even...

#42 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Oh boy, Controversy Bingo! 

Let's see:

Generalities, got it.

Stereotypes, ditto.

Bandwagon, got that too.

Blame game, I'm on a roll!

Composition, only need one more on that row.

Anecdotal, Bingo!

I guess I'm not cool because I like good ol' US. Sure, the government sucks right now, mostly due to a bad president, but that's nothing new. We have so many privileges that quite a few countries could only dream of, so I doubt I'll be leaving permanently anytime soon.

Yeah but a lot of other countries have those privileges as well, and more, and they don't go around spouting all that best country in the world crap.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#43 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

'Murica

Too bad we have to have such bad internet speeds over here :(

794144.png?13383682

#44 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yeah but a lot of other countries have those privileges as well, and more, and they don't go around spouting all that best country in the world crap.

*Shrug* I don't see a problem with saying that. I see people in other countries saying theirs is the best all the time, and it doesn't bother me. 

In fact, I don't see how it would bother anyone but those who are insecure about their own. After all, if you think your country x is better than y, seeing someone else saying y is best means nothing other than smiling and shacking your head pityingly.

Edited by SteventheSlayer, 12 July 2014 - 08:59 PM.

I don't even...

#45 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

If you like your country that's fine. Where the trend comes in is when they try and make you feel bad for having pride in your country. Now the blind over the top patriotism can be annoying. Simple pride isn't. I don't have any but not going to dictate to you to not have any yourself.

#46 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

*Shrug* I don't see a problem with saying that. I see people in other countries saying theirs is the best all the time, and it doesn't bother me. 

In fact, I don't see how it would bother anyone but those who are insecure about their own. After all, if you think your country x is better than y, seeing someone else saying y is best means nothing other than smiling and shacking your head pityingly.

Oh no I know a lot of countries say it, but no one like the US. They are incredibly obnoxious and loudmouthed about it. And being incredibly loud mouthed and obnoxious about something you're so obviously wrong about it is why it bothers everyone. Believe me, no one feels insecure about it since the people in your country and much of the way your country is run and has been run for the past couple decades has such an incredibly bad reputation.

Also really? The insecure thing? You're really going with that? That's the grown up version of "you're just jealous."

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#47 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:34 AM

Australia's pretty good. Not quite as much freedom as New Zealand, but still more than America. And we have kangaroos. 

et6AeGO.jpg

The closest I've had to that happening was this on time when a swarm of bees decided to make my bedroom their new home. It took days to, uh, "persuade" them to leave. With bug spray. 

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#48 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

POPULAR

Oh no I know a lot of countries say it, but no one like the US. They are incredibly obnoxious and loudmouthed about it. And being incredibly loud mouthed and obnoxious about something you're so obviously wrong about it is why it bothers everyone. Believe me, no one feels insecure about it since the people in your country and much of the way your country is run and has been run for the past couple decades has such an incredibly bad reputation.
Also really? The insecure thing? You're really going with that? That's the grown up version of "you're just jealous."

Thats funny, because you are by far the loudest and most obnoxious on this subject. Everytime, on any remotely reachably approachable topic, you run as fast as you can, to shart in your hands and throw it all over the place, making sure EVERYONE knows, EVERY TIME, how bad America is, and constantly and obnoxiously tell us how obnoxiously loud the conveniently mysterious group of 'americans' called they is. You are quite literally the personification of everything you are Daisying about.

Australia's pretty good. Not quite as much freedom as New Zealand, but still more than America. And we have kangaroos.

Kangaroos are arseholes and you know it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#49 SteventheSlayer

SteventheSlayer

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Fandom:
    Old-School Nintendo Fan

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

No, I already got stereotypes, you don't need to say them again.

I don't even...

#50 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Lol I think he lives in Canada (that's what his profile says) so he should know all that. I think he was just exaggerating a little bit. Most Canadians I know do not like being told Canada is similar to America.

That's true. The only way to start a bar fight faster is by dissing the beer. Anywhere else we'll be polite about it but will make a mental note that we owe no allegiance or assistance to the person that made the claim. Especially the wiseasses that happen to notice that the entire content is called (North) America.

what does that have to do with the quality of a nation's government

Absolutely nothing, in a dictatorship. A democracy, however, officially represents and is elected by the people. Who think Toddlers & Tiaras is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edited by grahamf, 13 July 2014 - 11:08 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#51 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

I'm critical of america and its buisness run government and military, but I don't hate it.  You need to recognize the good and bad, it's not hell on earth.

It's just as bad as the crapholes that are canada or europe.

I hate america and you're just jealous

Okay, have fun

#52 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Bieber lives in the U.S. now doesn't he?

I think there were attempts to deport him. But now it seems that the two countries have decided to lock him up in jail then forget about him; just they're fighting over who's jail.

From someone living in Canada, it has its pluses for sure. But when it come to services like internet and phone, Canada is hell.

honestly If you're able to shop around it's a bit better, but if you live in the countryside you're pretty hooped. I get my cellphone through Koodo and have a (1yo) grandfathered plan that is unlimited nationwide calling, text, etc plus 2GB of data for $56/mo ( only $51 in 11 months from now), and my internet is through Teksavvy where I pay $29 (excluding modem payments for first five months) for 7.5mbps and a cap of 300gb/mo. I know it doesn't compare to most countries, but it's a lot better than what most people have.

But I know a lot of Canadians think their country is the best in the world.

It's simply when we compare ourselves to other countries, and we generally don't speak any of the nordic languages

The whther is nice in summer.

Sure, if you're comparing it to the surface of the sun

Edited by grahamf, 13 July 2014 - 11:25 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#53 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:54 AM

I lived in the US the first many years of my life then lived in Denmark for 3.5yrs followed by Austria for 2.5 yrs.  I really appreciate the fact the European countries embrace their culture and quality of life.  Moving back to the US has been a challenge as their are so many negative groups in our society.  The divide between left and right has become so bad.  I will say the biggest reason I may leave this country again, in hand with my European wife, is the violence in this country.  The tolerance for it is beyond stupid.  Yes there is violence every, but countries I lived in were no where near this level. 

Edited by Aplg8, 14 July 2014 - 07:55 AM.

#54 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

I lived in the US the first many years of my life then lived in Denmark for 3.5yrs followed by Austria for 2.5 yrs. I really appreciate the fact the European countries embrace their culture and quality of life. Moving back to the US has been a challenge as their are so many negative groups in our society. The divide between left and right has become so bad. I will say the biggest reason I may leave this country again, in hand with my European wife, is the violence in this country. The tolerance for it is beyond stupid. Yes there is violence every, but countries I lived in were no where near this level.

The United States is a very large country, and contrary to popular erroneous beliefs demonstrated with oft frequency here, is actually divided into a large number of seperate territories called 'States'. Many of which THEMSELVES are larger than several european countries combined.

Referring to the entire US with sweeping generalizations is naive, foolish and erroneous, As things like violence vary incredibly widely on a state by state basis, with many states actually having considerably less crime and violence than european countries.

In fact, Canadas crime rate per 100,000 people is actually twice as high as the United States. Hooray for stabbings.

As much as I enjoy seeing yet another cringeworthy concrete example of the Dunning-Kruger in full force, its time to put the rampant misinformation to bed with a dose of reality.

article-1196941-05900DF7000005DC-677_468
Unfortunately for narrative pushers, the US missed getting in on this list, coming short with 466 incidents per 100,000 citizens.

Australia is at a peaceful 92. But people die on the side of the road when their car breaks down... desperately trying to drink coolant to last long enough for rescue services... And games prices are robbery!!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#55 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Lol do you guys really believe people hate you because it's "cool"?

Absolutely.

I've lived in 3 non american countries, and visited numerous others. Everyone hates you. You know that loudmouthed douche who walks around telling people he's the best because he's rich, and made that single good play in the national championships but is just fat and lazes around all day then complains because pwople won't suck uis dick? That's you. That's america. And you're incredibly proud of it.

I have also lived in 3 non-american countries  (currently living in Guatemala) and visited many others in very different parts of the world (Asia, Middle East, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Latin America, etc). Perhaps with the exception of France, I have been treated with kindness and decency wherever I've been. I have also had conversations with people who were critical of the US government but didn't have to make such ridiculous, sweeping generalizations about "America" (and by extension, Americans) like you're doing here.

And then every now and then I run into people like you who have a real chip their shoulder. You are the loud, annoying minority.

The vast majority of what I've seen, though, is that people everywhere are inundating themselves with American culture. They're watching our movies and TV, listening to our music, learning our language, importing and buying our consumer goods, trying to get visas to move to our country, trying to come study at our universities, etc. If everyone everywhere hates us, they sure have an odd way of showing it by begging to basically be American in any way possible!

Edited by Kokirii, 14 July 2014 - 09:58 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#56 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Referring to the entire US with sweeping generalizations is naive, foolish and erroneous, As things like violence vary incredibly widely on a state by state basis, with many states actually having considerably less crime and violence than european countries.
In fact, Canadas crime rate per 100,000 people is actually twice as high as the United States. Hooray for stabbings.
As much as I enjoy seeing yet another cringeworthy concrete example of the Dunning-Kruger in full force, its time to put the rampant misinformation to bed with a dose of reality. article-1196941-05900DF7000005DC-677_468
Unfortunately for narrative pushers, the US missed getting in on this list, coming short with 466 incidents per 100,000 citizens.
Australia is at a peaceful 92. But people die on the side of the road when their car breaks down... desperately trying to drink coolant to last long enough for rescue services... And games prices are robbery!!

Agree to disagree on this and you can call me naive and foolish with my "sweeping generalizations" as I'm not going to list the various states I've lived and traveled. Fact of the matter is I felt far safer in the European countries I was in. (Excluding Romania and Serbia)

#57 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Agree to disagree on this and you can call me naive and foolish with my "sweeping generalizations" as I'm not going to list the various states I've lived and traveled. Fact of the matter is I felt far safer in the European countries I was in. (Excluding Romania and Serbia)

Serbia is pretty bad. Came across an execution about to take place while pulling an op on the Serbian Kosovo border. Actually it more came to me... Serbian soldiers had pulled a family trying to make it into kosovo out of the car and had them on the side of the road kneeling in the mud, chased them well past the border, hundred or so feet, probably seconds from blowing their heads off when we showed them we had them surrounded from the out croppings above where we were pulling our op/lp on the border/their base (where they played a surprising amount of basketball when they werent murdering people).

After pulling the Albanians out of the mud they freaked out until we took off our wet weather gear so they could see the American flag. Our medic treated them for shock, and they spent about a half hour crying and thanking us.

Because of the incident we set up a presence checkpoint the next day and spent another 16 hours in pouring rain, to which the people we protected, completely ignorant of the fact they were at the site of a near mass execution a day before, sarcastically asked without fail, in irritation for the minor 30 second inconvenience: 'Dont you people have anything better to do?'

Yes there was something better I could be doing than standing in the pouring rain and mud. The russians were visiting, showing off the insides of BTR 80's for a look at ABRAMS, and trading all kinds of cool swag, and we were supposed to be finishing golden eye tournaments with the french and italians at the mwr tent. (hearing the french scream in frusteration l'IMPOSSIBLE!!! (L Im-POS-EE-blay!! XD) at my ridiculus head shots, was both incredibly satisfying and charmingly endearing)

Reminds me of you guys. The whole mixed bag of nuts.

. And god damn are Serbian translators obnoxious aholes to our albanian translators whenever they think no ones looking.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#58 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

Thats funny, because you are by far the loudest and most obnoxious on this subject. Everytime, on any remotely reachably approachable topic, you run as fast as you can, to shart in your hands and throw it all over the place, making sure EVERYONE knows, EVERY TIME, how bad America is, and constantly and obnoxiously tell us how obnoxiously loud the conveniently mysterious group of 'americans' called they is. You are quite literally the personification of everything you are Daisying about.

Kangaroos are arseholes and you know it.

I'll agree i'm probably the most obnoxious on the subject, but that doesn't make what i'm saying less true. Fact is i hate america almost as much as you hate ea, and i've very little patience for subtlety and beating around the bush these days. So when people try and defend america and american laws, and the  try to tell me i'm just against it because i'm tryig to be cool, i become easily irritated.

Also i'm very much NOT what i hate about it. I have no single allegiance to any particular country. Born in the Caribbean (and raised with mostly Caribbean values) moved to britain while still young, the  moved to canada after a coupe years. No matter where i go in the world, i am not one of them, and so i have no allegiance. Therefore i don't go around shouting that my country is the best since it's non-existant. If someone insults one f the countries i don't like, i very much consider the possibility they are right, and often agree with them. I DON'T Tell them they're just tryng to be cool.

The fact is, socially, america is a messed up country. If I can avoid it at ll in anyway i will live in i thin just about any other first world before america. I know this because i hve spent a lot of time in america, i have many american relatives who are american, and living in canada, when anything is broadcasted nationally for you, i hear about it. This is lso how i know that the group of americans you've deemed "mysterious" exist. I've encountered them in their natural habitat.

No, I already got stereotypes, you don't need to say them again.

I didn't stereotype. At most i generalized by saying america, instead of "parts of america" or by saying americans instead of "certain people in america". I didn't do that for two reasons.

1. It's stupid

1.5 It's essentially just a formality, much like political correctness. If you're being rational you know i don't mean every single pwrson living in america.

2. I'm writing on a Wii U gamepad and hate touch screen.

I think there were attempts to deport him. But now it seems that the two countries have decided to lock him up in jail then forget about him; just they're fighting over who's jail.

honestly If you're able to shop around it's a bit better, but if you live in the countryside you're pretty hooped. I get my cellphone through Koodo and have a (1yo) grandfathered plan that is unlimited nationwide calling, text, etc plus 2GB of data for $56/mo ( only $51 in 11 months from now), and my internet is through Teksavvy where I pay $29 (excluding modem payments for first five months) for 7.5mbps and a cap of 300gb/mo. I know it doesn't compare to most countries, but it's a lot better than what most people have.

It's simply when we compare ourselves to other countries, and we generally don't speak any of the nordic languages

Sure, if you're comparing it to the surface of the sun

Our internet speed rates come in at like 80th or something i think. we pay waaaayyyy more than we should. Ever been to britain? Unlimited internet is like 15 pounds. Cell phone service? Forget about it. rollover minutes were standard 10 years ago. Ratees are loads cheaper and there are plans fr everyone. TV? 999 channels is actually affordable, and doesn't bring tears to your eyes when you see the bill. I think the only countries we beat in money to quality ratio are third worlds.

The United States is a very large country, and contrary to popular erroneous beliefs demonstrated with oft frequency here, is actually divided into a large number of seperate territories called 'States'. Many of which THEMSELVES are larger than several european countries combined.

As much as I enjoy seeing yet another cringeworthy concrete example of the Dunning-Kruger in full force, its time to put the rampant misinformation to bed with a dose of reality.

article-1196941-05900DF7000005DC-677_468

I wanna see more than just a picture. I want to see its source. I have trouble believeing this study when i hear you guys account for about 50% of shootings in first world. And have a way more serious gang problem than pretty much wvery country there.

Absolutely.

I have also lived in 3 non-american countries  (currently living in Guatemala) and visited many others in very different parts of the world (Asia, Middle East, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Latin America, etc). Perhaps with the exception of France, I have been treated with kindness and decency wherever I've been. I have also had conversations with people who were critical of the US government but didn't have to make such ridiculous, sweeping generalizations about "America" (and by extension, Americans) like you're doing here.

And then every now and then I run into people like you who have a real chip their shoulder. You are the loud, annoying minority.

The vast majority of what I've seen, though, is that people everywhere are inundating themselves with American culture. They're watching our movies and TV, listening to our music, learning our language, importing and buying our consumer goods, trying to get visas to move to our country, trying to come study at our universities, etc. If everyone everywhere hates us, they sure have an odd way of showing it by begging to basically be American in any way possible!

That could very well be true. You could be treated with respect wherever you go, but that doesn't mean pople don't dislike your country. Many smaller countries don't insult americans for many reasons. Tourism is one. Slave trade is another heard of (though that's less common).

On the oppoite side of what you've said, everyone i've talked to on the subject doesn't like america and will willingly admit much of the country is messed up.

And american culture is evrywhere because america is the most powerful country in the world. Look up neo colonialism and the westernization of culture. This isn't because everyone loves americans.

Also english isn't your language, and it sure as heck isn't popular because yoy speak it. The English language, believe it or not, was is the language of the English. And it was them who spread it to one third of the world's population through colonialism. America is just one of the colonies it was spread to.

Everyone is coming to your country because it's better than where they live now economically speaking. Also if you've ever read the grapes of wrath, you know how everyone thought there were jobs in California long after all the jobs had disappeared? I think that's very much the american situation, with opportunity taking jobs' place.

Just like the rich douche i described, people will still suck up to him if it gets them what they want.

also, please read what i said above about generalizing.

I'm critical of america and its buisness run government and military, but I don't hate it.  You need to recognize the good and bad, it's not hell on earth.

It's just as bad as the crapholes that are canada or europe.

Okay, have fun

I think you mistook what's going on here. Everyone else is saying "i LOVE america and you're (i'm) just jealous"

but i agree. A completely ridiculous sentiment.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#59 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

I wonder how many people in this topic think Jamaica is a easy going place as they go by Cool Runnings and pop culture and generalize them. Reality is not a kind place for tourists. One of the highest murder rates in the world and very anti gay.

I wonder how many in this thread think a native head dress of feathers means the same thing in every tribe or they all speak the same language. It's rather easy to lump people together but much harder to make a fair assesment when you really break things down. To judge the culture of the US you really have to do a City by City and State by State. Otherwise it's vague stereotyping.

#60 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:49 AM

I wonder how many people in this topic think Jamaica is a easy going place as they go by Cool Runnings and pop culture and generalize them. Reality is not a kind place for tourists. One of the highest murder rates in the world and very anti gay.

I wonder how many in this thread think a native head dress of feathers means the same thing in every tribe or they all speak the same language. It's rather easy to lump people together but much harder to make a fair assesment when you really break things down. To judge the culture of the US you really have to do a City by City and State by State. Otherwise it's vague stereotyping.

Like i said, I'm from a Caribbean family. We might not be from Jamaica, definitely haven't been to all the places in, but we know that already. All the islands know how they stack up against each other pretty well.

I'm sure you don't think americans talking abou america are stereotyping, but 99% don't match your requirments. Heck none of your presidents do, but they still run your country and are very much aware of how it works.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!