Photo

Is "Wii U" the console's final name?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Wii U's name (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like Wii U's name?

1. Yes (28 votes [59.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.57%

2. No (19 votes [40.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.43%

It's OK to you if Nintendo leaves the name as that?

1. Yes (39 votes [82.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 82.98%

2. No (8 votes [17.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ptalecz

ptalecz

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:35 AM

Do you really think/hope that the Wii U will keep its name as that? Personally, I don't like the name, sounds like an updated version of the Wii made for "personal"(the U as You) gaming. It happened with some people with the Nintendo 3DS, they think it's just as the NIntendo DSi, and updated version, but it is not!

And c'mon! We need a serious and more mature name...not saying that the Wii's name is childish, but Nintendo can give the console an awesome name that sounds hardcore and complex. It's for economy and popular reasons, I don't know if they have thought of that, but leaving the same name with an extra doesn't help people thinks it's a new console.

Give me your opinion, and the name you'll like for the Wii U! I personally liked the name Stream because of the capability to stream games and other things to the controller.

#2 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • NNID:Garolymar
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin/ Anything else Nintendo.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

I'm more "meh," on the name, it's not horrible but It's not exactly fantastic either. I'm glad they stuck with it though as the brand recognition is sure to help out a bit in sales as long as the price is fair so it's a smart move to keep the Wii name.
Posted Image

#3 esper

esper

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo The Muppets Pokemon Yu-Gi-Oh

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

I'm ok with it. Them sticking with wii for brand recognition will probably help but turn off some "hardcore" buyers. I'm hoping they change it to wii ultra or ultra wii. :P

#4 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:04 AM

I admit, I wasn't sure about the name Wii U at first, but like most others it seems, it has grown on me. I just hope they don't put a "U" in the title of every game that releases.

#5 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

I think they'll stick with its current name, although I wouldn't be too surprised if they do change it, given that a lot of people seem unhappy about its name.

I admit, I wasn't sure about the name Wii U at first, but like most others it seems, it has grown on me. I just hope they don't put a "U" in the title of every game that releases.

Given the number of titles that have had "Wii", "DS " or "3D" in recent years, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they continue to do this with the Wii U, although I'd rather they didn't.

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

Changing the name now would be an anti-effect.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

I think the name is fine, it's like saying Wii 2 but in a more Nintendo way. If people decide that they aren't going to buy the system because the name isn't "hardcore" enough, that is their own weird problem.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#8 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

Eh,I'd like to to have a better name. Something like the Ultra Nintendo, that signifies both a return to form of greatness and abandons the Wii Monkier. Reason why is that Wii is still heavily viewed as kiddy.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#9 Crackkat

Crackkat

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  • Fandom:
    zelda mainly, most nintendo stuff too

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

a while ago i made a post about changing the name to wii ultra together as a community by simply using the name all the time, some stuff on the net gets pretty big like that but the chances are low :P
Posted Image

#10 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

My personal belief is the Wii U is a perfect name and wii probably stay the same. People keep saying that they aren't sure if its a new product, but look at the PSP, and the PlayStation brand in general. The PSP Vita is a new device, but could easliy be a new version of the PSP1. And I think its perfect because the reason for the Wii U is because its made for U. Or is it Wii Utopia? Wii Ultimate? Its all these things.

And about the 3DS being confused as another version of the DS, I think that's bull. The reason it didn't sale was games and price, Nintendo has proven that with both new games and lower price.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#11 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Yeah anyone who cant tell a 3DS from a DS or a Wii U from Wii obviously can't see very well.

#12 HaoSenVastForest

HaoSenVastForest

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 686 posts
  • Fandom:
    Everything LoZ!!!

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

Okay I think that the name is creating too many haters! It is just that if they changed the name now then I think that it will only add more haters to the party. Also I think that the Wii in its name is making an effect that gets people to say "Nintendo this is nothing new! It is just an iPad! You have no creativity!" I think that it is rubbing that effect on the gamers. but the thing is if they do show off some good 3rd party games I think that the name will mean nothing to the general gamer.

Posted Image

In a world of Gray and black there is nothing here to take back...

(Words from your local demon and leader of the army of darkness)

#13 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

And those who won't buy the Wii U because it has the Wii name still won't buy it if it was the Nintendo Insert Totally Awesome Name Here. Why? Because Nintendo made it and that's for kids. They'd have to become a new company, and that's just not going to happen.

#14 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm not a big fan of the "Wii U" name, mostly for the confusion it causes when telling others about it, and it seems to me like a repeat of Nintendo including "DS" in the 3DS's name. So many people think it's just a 3D DS, while anyone who's actually tried one would immediately realize it's a completely different beast.

I doubt they're going to change the console's name at this point, as they seem to be quite confident in their choice. From a business perspective, milking the Wii brand as long as it lasts isn't a bad idea at all - but is it more important to retain the brand, or differentiate the new console?

And those who won't buy the Wii U because it has the Wii name still won't buy it if it was the Nintendo Insert Totally Awesome Name Here. Why? Because Nintendo made it and that's for kids. They'd have to become a new company, and that's just not going to happen.

Sadly, this is a very common misconception that I truly hope Nintendo will be able to conquer in the future. Nintendo's games are akin to Disney movies - colourful and child-friendly, but still filled with lots of details to make them enjoyable for an older audience, too. They're making steps towards shedding this perception - they're promoting a lot of "gritty" games for the Wii U and 3DS right now - but I don't think it will help them that the Wii U includes the name of a console commonly associated with mass shovelware and fitness games.

#15 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

If they change it, I'll be confuse if the Wii U got canceled. XD
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#16 10k

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mass Effect, Mario

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Honestly if they wanted to keep the wii name but distinguish it as a new console and not confuse the casuals, they should have just called it the "Wii 2"
Posted Image
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#17 The Video Gamer

The Video Gamer

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

I don't like that when explaining it to people they think it's just another Wii and say it's going to be crap but with it being hardcore and having ''Wii'' in the name it's a chance to change people's view of the Wii brand same as 3DS have DS in the name and being hardcore so in that sense I think it's good thing.

#18 GeneralCraezy

GeneralCraezy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, RPGs, Nintendo, SE.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

I hate it :( Its gonna be just the same as the 3DS. People'll just say that its just a different version of the wii :L CHANGE IT!! >:(

Posted Image

#19 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

Yeah I agree Wii 2 would have sufficed. I dont mind the name but if Nintendo were to ask me if I wanted a name change...I would say yes.

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

@Fedl0 Yes, but Nintendo has been trying to focus on more mature (or darker themed games) since GCN. With Metroid Prime Trilogy, Eternal Darkness, Twilight Princess and that's not considering third party titles like GTA Chinatown Wars, Resident Evil titles, The Godfather and so on. Its merely a perception hardcore gamers have of Nintendo. I hope Nintendo - with the Wii U - can fight off this perception but its not likly.

And I still think the Wii U is a better name then Wii 2. Wii HD or Wii U are the best options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!