NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:55 AM

Hey guys, I am looking to increase my DS collection of games. Surprisingly I don't have that many currently, just a handful.

List your top 5 or 10 DS games and perhaps leave a small description as to why you like it.

I want to collect the "gems" first and go on from there.

Thanks  :)

BTW:

I have currently Mario Kart, Mario Party, New Super Mario Bros, Sonic Colors, Mario vs Donkey Kong, and Sonic Classic Collection

Edited by Sorceror12, 08 September 2014 - 05:01 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#2 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:05 AM

Well for me I definitely loved Animal Crossing, Drawn to Life, Nintendogs (surprisingly?!), GTA Chinatown Wars, and a bunch of games you already listed..

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#3 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

Well for me I definitely loved Animal Crossing, Drawn to Life, Nintendogs (surprisingly?!), GTA Chinatown Wars, and a bunch of games you already listed..

Almost forgot about GTA Chinatown Wars. This is why I made the thread. Thanks!  :)

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#4 Akazury

Akazury

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • NNID:Akazury
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

The professor layton games are amazing if you like puzzles, also pokémon BW/B2W2?

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

The professor layton games are amazing if you like puzzles, also pokémon BW/B2W2?

Adding to my amazon wishlist...  :)

#6 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

I absolutely adored DQ9. My absolute favorite JRPG. Bowser's Inside Story is another great RPG. The Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games are quite loved. I recommend giving them a shot on iOS first. Radiant Historia and Ghost Trick are two I've personally been looking at. I've been playing through The Legendary Starfy lately and it's pretty great. Really, here's a list of DS games I've been looking to get straight from my iTouch notes. Should be a solid list. Oh, KH 358/2 Days is missing as I played it a few years ago. One of my all-time faves.
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
The Legendary Starfy
Lock's Quest 
Radiant Historia
Dragon Quest 4,5,6
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded
Okamiden
The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Kirby Mass Attack
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Henry Hatsworth

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#7 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

I absolutely adored DQ9. My absolute favorite JRPG. Bowser's Inside Story is another great RPG. The Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games are quite loved. I recommend giving them a shot on iOS first. Radiant Historia and Ghost Trick are two I've personally been looking at. I've been playing through The Legendary Starfy lately and it's pretty great. Really, here's a list of DS games I've been looking to get straight from my iTouch notes. Should be a solid list. Oh, KH 358/2 Days is missing as I played it a few years ago. One of my all-time faves.
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
The Legendary Starfy
Lock's Quest 
Radiant Historia
Dragon Quest 4,5,6
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded
Okamiden
The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Kirby Mass Attack
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Henry Hatsworth

Had the Kirby games on my radar and guess I cannot go wrong hehe. Metroid Prime Hunters...Dragon Quest... ok I need to break out the ole credit card LMAO.

Thanks for your post. Anyone have any experience with the Contra, Castlevania or Mortal Kombat games that graced the DS?

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

I am not a top lists person so I will post some as the come to me. May come in the form of multiple posts.

The World Ends With You. Still Squares best game in years. Very unique and could not have been released on anything else at the time esp to get the same effect. Modern Day setting in Japan but you're dead and forced to play a game to save your souls. Music while not much of it it amazing.

Tokyo Beat Down. Side scrolling beat em up. Now the game itself is nothing special. It's fun but does not add anything to the genre.

The game is rather silly. Where the game really shines is it's presentation and dialogue as it's written in the way of a campy cop film.

Post more games later

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hotel Dusk, Ghost trick...

World ends with you...

viewtiful joe double trouble

C.O.P the recruit.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hotel Dusk, Ghost trick...

World ends with you...

viewtiful joe double trouble

C.O.P the recruit.

Thank you for your post and suggestions. Ah... looks like Ubi and Capcom knew what they were doing several years ago...  ;)

I am not a top lists person so I will post some as the come to me. May come in the form of multiple posts.

The World Ends With You. Still Squares best game in years. Very unique and could not have been released on anything else at the time esp to get the same effect. Modern Day setting in Japan but you're dead and forced to play a game to save your souls. Music while not much of it it amazing.

Tokyo Beat Down. Side scrolling beat em up. Now the game itself is nothing special. It's fun but does not add anything to the genre.

The game is rather silly. Where the game really shines is it's presentation and dialogue as it's written in the way of a campy cop film.

Post more games later

Tokyo Beat Down looks awesome. Sort of the "over the top" style which is appealing for this genre.

#11 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.
Every Professor Layton.
Okamiden.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

Infinite Space. Platinum Games only RPG developed and exclusive to Nintendo DS.

Solatorobo. This plays a lot like Mega Man Legends. Only downside is the hand holding as it never lets up. Game is great tho. Cyrberconnect2 are great developers and they love the like watching a TV show presentation. They did .hack series and Asura's Wrath as well.

Okamiden if you liked Okami. It's more or less Okami. The game feels more like a home video release of one of the 90's Aladdin Sequels it's good but not near the quality of the original.

Hotel Dusk is amazing period. Chrono Trigger is on DS. The Final Fantasy IV Remake is tough but great.

Any Dragon Quest is a must. If not big into RPGs try Dragon Quest IX as it felt a bit easy to me but good for a novice.

Ace Attorney 1-3 are just amazing and so self rewarding. Blue Dragon games are ok but need to have played BD on 360 and the original game is amazing and the DS games are small compliments to the 360 game and make no sense without it.

I almost want to recommend Flower Sun and Rain but it's a game that is so bat rainbow insane it makes David Lynch films look sane. So I will throw the name out but a play at your own risk.

#13 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Super Princess Peach!

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#14 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Rhythm Heaven, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Picross 3D, and Sonic Rush are some of my favorites that haven't already been mentioned. RH is fantastic if you're into rhythm games, KSSU is just as great as the original plus some bonus content, Picross 3D can be pretty mind-boggling, and I imagine you'd like Sonic Rush as it's nearly identical gameplay wise to the DS version of Colors.

#15 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

I need to put a disclaimer. Ys fans do not like this version of the game. Now the game is great. It's not bad at all. Just been so many versions of Ys this is the worst version. The game is still very good and it's 100% fine if new to the series. Imagine Zelda on speed and steroids.

If you like it then I recommend playing playing Chronicles on Steam or PSP. Best version of the game. Fave series of all time.

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

1. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

2. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

3. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

4. Kirby Mass Attack

5. Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (everything except for the train mechanic is superior to Phantom Hourglass, but I don't think that having to AVOID enemies this much is acceptable for our young Hero.

That being said i got a flashcart so i can keep the entire library handy - i like all digital and fussing with cartridges was too much.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#17 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

I'll second Ghost Trick. It's developed by the same guy who did the Phoenix Wright games, and it's his best work by far.

999 is good if you're not bothered by bland over-explanatory anime writing and lousy route structure. Play it, but get a darn no-spoiler guide (solve the puzzles yourself, though), otherwise you'll get tired of the game before you even get to the true ending.

Devil Survivor is good as well, but you probably want to grab the 3DS port since it has extra content. Devil Survivor 2 has improved gameplay, but the plot and writing took the anime feel of the original and turned it to eleven. You pretty much have to turn off your brain to enjoy that aspect of the game. :P

Art academy if you want to develop bad drawing habits.

I'd recommend the DS Advance Wars, but I haven't played it. It's Advance Wars though, so it's most likely good.

Henry Hatsworth is great and you should get it.

Elite Beat Agents. Pretty much the only good Rhythm game on the DS.

And I'll probably think of something else later.

Edited by Waller, 08 September 2014 - 05:41 PM.

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

I really appreciate all the input! Some of the games I totally forgot about, others I didn't know much about until they were mentioned in this thread. Obviously some of the games can be found for a fairly good price, others are more rare and are going for premium...

Feel free to keep posting your top DS games, hidden gems etc. I am planning on updating the thread here when I receive my purchases! ( I will also post here http://thewiiu.com/t...-get-something/ )

Thanks guys!

Welp... I just scored this tonight on ebay. The game itself is used but looks in good shape as stated in listing, collectors guide is still sealed so that is new.

Got it for $49.95 free shipping. Seeing the guide go brand new for $28.99 plus shipping up to $60ish.

$_57.JPG

#19 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

I really appreciate all the input! Some of the games I totally forgot about, others I didn't know much about until they were mentioned in this thread. Obviously some of the games can be found for a fairly good price, others are more rare and are going for premium...

Feel free to keep posting your top DS games, hidden gems etc. I am planning on updating the thread here when I receive my purchases! ( I will also post here http://thewiiu.com/t...-get-something/ )

Thanks guys!

Welp... I just scored this tonight on ebay. The game itself is used but looks in good shape as stated in listing, collectors guide is still sealed so that is new.

Got it for $49.95 free shipping. Seeing the guide go brand new for $28.99 plus shipping up to $60ish.

$_57.JPG

Holy crap. That's amazing. PH was the first game I really got into. I had the paperback guide after I got stuck on the part with the shovel. And that was only... close to 10 years ago. Excuse me while I feel old.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#20 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

1. Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  3. Megaman Starforce 3: Black Ace
  4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  5. Metroid Prime Hunters
  6. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
  7. Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
  8. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
  9. Pokemon HeartGold
  10. Phoenix Wright: Justice for All

I don't know if you are interested in the Ace Attorney Series, but the first 3 games are supposed to get released on the eshop as a trilogy bundle late this year I believe. 

As others have said, Ghost Trick is by the same guy who started Ace Attorney, and it is great as well

If you end up liking Phantom Hourglass, then you will love Spirit Tracks.  Fixes a lot of PH's issues.  Also has a surprisingly good soundtrack.

I don't have a huge catalog of DS games myself, so if one of you scoffs at one of my entries, I didn't have the largest pool to choose from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!