• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

I would pick Nintendo Shinka. Shinka is Japanese for evolution which is what the Wii U is. It is an evolution of the Wii into something that is stronger and better that its predecessor. I chose Shinka because it is to reflect Nintendo being a Japanese Video game company while still also giving the console a unique name.

I like that name. That is creativity.

#42 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

I like that name. That is creativity.

Thanks !
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#43 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Those people think Nintendo is kiddy. You are not going to change their mind with a name. A name is nothing. They could call it the white box and it wouldn't matter. Does Xbox or Playstation sound mature. There are play station areas for kids.

I 100% agree it's not the name, it's the way the Wii was, the "hardcore" gamers saw the Wii and think it's casual and now the Wii U has it's name those "hardcore" gamers might think it's like the Wii, a new name might change those people thought.

Edited by Meelow100, 01 February 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#44 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

I 100% agree it's not the name, it's the way the Wii was, the "hardcore" gamers saw the Wii and think it's casual and now the Wii U has it's name those "hardcore" gamers might think it's like the Wii, a new name might change those people thought.

That is exactly what I think. Keeping Wii in the name will confuse those people and they won't understand that there is a difference between the two. Unless people go out and do some intense research, they might as well call it a Wii. Some people don't use common sense and take the time to find out about the system just because the name Wii is in it. My older brother at first didn't realize it new console because it was called Wii U, I had to tell him what it was before relized it was a new system...

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#45 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

That is exactly what I think. Keeping Wii in the name will confuse those people and they won't understand that there is a difference between the two. Unless people go out and do some intense research, they might as well call it a Wii. Some people don't use common sense and take the time to find out about the system just because the name Wii is in it. My older brother at first didn't realize it new console because it was called Wii U, I had to tell him what it was before relized it was a new system...

Which is why they're thinking about changing the name, they said so themselves.

Although I can't believe that people are that ignorant though.

Edited by Terrabyte20xx, 02 February 2012 - 12:31 PM.

Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#46 Xilefian

Xilefian

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

The biggest issue Nintendo seemed to have faced recently is marketting, the 3DS performed worse than Nintendo had expected and one could say that the marketting for it was very poor. When asking the casual market why they had no interest, most people presumed the 3DS is just another DS like the DSi, I remember smiling greatly when the UK TV ads changed quite dramatically to feature the slogan "This is not DS, this is Nintendo 3DS" and the entire advert did not even mention the 3D capabilities, it mentioned graphics, motion control, game library, camera, everything BUT the 3D.

The Wii U has a similar name to the Wii, this similarity could also cause it to loose a big audience capture from the casual market, only gaming enthusiasts know what the Wii U is, I would not be surprised if a casual gamer believes it's just another iteration of the Wii and will ignore buying it "Because I already have a Wii".

Nintendo should think seriously about a name change after how the 3DS performed, even an incremental change such as "Wii 2" could make a difference to an on-looker's brief perspective of the console.

I do not have any ideas on what names would be good, it has a number of unique features such as the streaming to tablet, perhaps a pun on Tablet or Stream? But they don't sound like solid names (Imagine all the urine jokes that will come out of "Wii Stream").
You could pick a serious sounding name like "Nintendo HD", or something really daring, just the letter "U", the Nintendo U actually sounds okay to me.

#47 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

I am guessing people are a lot dumber now than they were in the late 80's and early 90's. The naming is no different than NES and SNES. People knew the difference then and they will know the difference now. The people who are confused will just call it Nintendo anyway.

#48 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

The biggest issue Nintendo seemed to have faced recently is marketting, the 3DS performed worse than Nintendo had expected and one could say that the marketting for it was very poor. When asking the casual market why they had no interest, most people presumed the 3DS is just another DS like the DSi, I remember smiling greatly when the UK TV ads changed quite dramatically to feature the slogan "This is not DS, this is Nintendo 3DS" and the entire advert did not even mention the 3D capabilities, it mentioned graphics, motion control, game library, camera, everything BUT the 3D.

The Wii U has a similar name to the Wii, this similarity could also cause it to loose a big audience capture from the casual market, only gaming enthusiasts know what the Wii U is, I would not be surprised if a casual gamer believes it's just another iteration of the Wii and will ignore buying it "Because I already have a Wii".

Nintendo should think seriously about a name change after how the 3DS performed, even an incremental change such as "Wii 2" could make a difference to an on-looker's brief perspective of the console.

I do not have any ideas on what names would be good, it has a number of unique features such as the streaming to tablet, perhaps a pun on Tablet or Stream? But they don't sound like solid names (Imagine all the urine jokes that will come out of "Wii Stream").
You could pick a serious sounding name like "Nintendo HD", or something really daring, just the letter "U", the Nintendo U actually sounds okay to me.

It's still not as bad as wii.

#49 itschrissy

itschrissy

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Zelda, Skyrim

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

Nintendo Revolution gets my vote. I've never liked the thought of Nintendo's next gen console being based off of the Wii's name. I wish they would move on to something completely different.

#50 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

I am not good at it, but I am also a green guy.. soo

If we call the ninteo internet service something like Nintendo world or Nintendo earth

I preffer the name of wii U to bee more like " Ecco" sensitive tittle, suits nintendo (i mean as a message).. stupid as well for a console HAHA.. :P But I love it..

Edited by Orion, 06 February 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#51 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I am not good at it, but I am also a green guy.. soo

If we call the ninteo internet service something like Nintendo world or Nintendo earth

I preffer the name of wii U to bee more like " Ecco" sensitive tittle, suits nintendo (i mean as a message).. stupid as well for a console HAHA.. :P But I love it..

It's already called Nintendo Network.

I don't really like the name "Ecco." Did you mean Eco? Cause they would get sued by the shoe brand. Ecco shoes type it in on google.

Edited by Sportsgamer, 06 February 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#52 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

It's already called Nintendo Network.

I don't really like the name "Ecco." Did you mean Eco? Cause they would get sued by the shoe brand. Ecco shoes type it in on google.

I think he meant Echo
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#53 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

I think he meant Echo

Oh. That's kinda weird Echo.

#54 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

HAH.. My suggestion created a kind of reaction.. well yes eco - ecco doesnt matter.. but I said it allready, doesnt fit... Nintendo eco (looks stupid to me).. I suggest that as I am a green guy.. ecology stuff.. nature.. save the planet.. stuff like that :P . But I also dont like the poll suggested titles.. For example Nintendo stream is more like a video machine, but it does not support dvd or blu - ray.. etc

I dont like nintendo revolution, but they could name it : Nintendo Apocalypse (it gives you the hard core name as well) or because I am greek and Greek words are very trendy latelly.. they could name it: Nintendo Apocalypsis, Nintendo Inferno. I could search in Ancient Hellenic scripts how we call the current age.. for example tha mayan calendar ends this year.. but the Hellenic have an aditional 6 more circles.. The last one is Inferno (the age of fire, destruction of earth). The chineese got an adition 12 circles.. We could suggest something like that.. But its heavy though, away to hardcore for Nintendo.

it fits with the year 2012 as well!!!

ps: I am not good in suggestions, do not take me for granded :P .

Edited by Orion, 06 February 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#55 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

HAH.. My suggestion created a kind of reaction.. well yes eco - ecco doesnt matter.. but I said it allready, doesnt fit... Nintendo eco (looks stupid to me).. I suggest that as I am a green guy.. ecology stuff.. nature.. save the planet.. stuff like that :P . But I also dont like the poll suggested titles.. For example Nintendo stream is more like a video machine, but it does not support dvd or blu - ray.. etc

I dont like nintendo revolution, but they could name it : Nintendo Apocalypse (it gives you the hard core name as well) or because I am greek and Greek words are very trendy latelly.. they could name it: Nintendo Apocalypsis, Nintendo Inferno. I could search in Ancient Hellenic scripts how we call the current age.. for example tha mayan calendar ends this year.. but the Hellenic have an aditional 6 more circles.. The last one is Inferno (the age of fire, destruction of earth). The chineese got an adition 12 circles.. We could suggest something like that.. But its heavy though, away to hardcore for Nintendo.

it fits with the year 2012 as well!!!

ps: I am not good in suggestions, do not take me for granded :P .

I would not buy Apocalyspsis that's biased. So many people are against that Bullcrap anyways so bad name. Nintendo Inferno not bad.

#56 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

Thats why I said the English version of apokalypsis = apocalypse... But I dont think they fit nintendo, as nintendo always being a more fun and cartoony style..

If they want to make the game a bit more serious, then they should NOT look into an aggressive or "revolutionary" title.. But something simple and serious...

Maybe " U " without "wii" is a better solution for them, sometimes if we try to make a product, away to aggressive, hardcore and we focus in the marketing more than in the product itself, we lose the train at the end.. And we fail. Because the effort in the naming, doesn’t matter much, if the internal hardware and software does not satisfact the public.. So I suggest nintendo should focus there...

For example, I really like the U, the way this forum have it (scroll up and see it).. like posidon’s triena.. How u spell it in english (his weapon).. Its beautiful, simple and very dynamic. If they truly need to get away from wii.. then, they should remove the word wii completely. And this particular U with the i in the middle, that translates as a symbol as well.. (posidons weapon), it symbolize the ultimate weapon, that anybody can achieve all his/her desires!! So its a powerfull sign name as well!!! I believe its the best.

Edited by Orion, 08 February 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#57 DigitalGreenTea

DigitalGreenTea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Fandom:
    Star Fox

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

I would go with Nintendo Wii Ultra Entertainment System! :D
But I think Wii U is fine though. ^_^

Posted Image

DGT - The Nintendo Enthusiast

#58 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thats why I said the English version of apokalypsis = apocalypse... But I dont think they fit nintendo, as nintendo always being a more fun and cartoony style..

If they want to make the game a bit more serious, then they should NOT look into an aggressive or "revolutionary" title.. But something simple and serious...

Maybe " U " without "wii" is a better solution for them, sometimes if we try to make a product, away to aggressive, hardcore and we focus in the marketing more than in the product itself, we lose the train at the end.. And we fail. Because the effort in the naming, doesn’t matter much, if the internal hardware and software does not satisfact the public.. So I suggest nintendo should focus there...

For example, I really like the U, the way this forum have it (scroll up and see it).. like posidon’s triena.. How u spell it in english (his weapon).. Its beautiful, simple and very dynamic. If they truly need to get away from wii.. then, they should remove the word wii completely. And this particular U with the i in the middle, that translates as a symbol as well.. (posidons weapon), it symbolize the ultimate weapon, that anybody can achieve all his/her desires!! So its a powerfull sign name as well!!! I believe its the best.

Poseidons weapon would be an awesome logo.

Nintendoψ

#59 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

haha nice lol poseiden ftw.

I think the nintendo stream is sweet im still leaning toward the nintendo 1080 though.

Signature_Fox.png

#60 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

Poseidons weapon would be an awesome logo.

Nintendoψ

The symbol you posted is a letter from the ancient hellenic and modern alphabet and in english is translated as (PS), together...

If you see the image above.. there is symbols 1-2-3 and 4.. number 2 is the original ancient posidon symbol but there is also many versions of it.. for example number 4 that is known to all devices (power on and off), also is a symbol of posidon.. Number 3 is also symbol of posidon...

My suggestion for WII U is symbol number 1 (also refers to the symbol of posidon).

Spoiler

I placed it inside spoiler because its huge and its very rookie, hand made.. So my suggestion is, the symbol that this forum got for wii U !! Its beautiful, scroll up and see it!! A huge U with an I in the middle...

more like, "You and I " (also the letter "I" can be translated as inovation, internet) its a more direct symbol and message, you and me for example...And its a beautiful symbol. It also keeps the letter U and no need to try find something else.

Edited by Orion, 11 February 2012 - 02:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rename WiiU, Poll, Yes, No, Nintendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!