#1 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

Let me start off by saying that I realize my title appears false... at first. Simply saying "people" makes it sound like I mean "all people". Of course all people do not hate success, that claim is silly, for lack of a better word. However, there are a lot of people who are so jealous of someone/thing's success that they dedicate a lot of their time to putting them/it down.

I'm writing this because I've seen several people on this board and on YouTube claim they have been picked on because they are a Nintendo fan. Maybe kids/teens are just vegetas these days, but I never got picked on for being a Nintendo fan growing up (Class of 2004).

Back on topic, being successful in anything will almost certainly cause many people to like you, and many people to dislike you.
Some examples:

New York Yankee Baseball (Most World Series Championships)
Notre Dame and Alabama college football (Most National Championships)
LA Lakers and Boston Celtics (#2-#1 in NBA titles)
New England Patriots Football (most successful franchise past decade)
Dallas Cowboys Football ("America's Team")
Wealthy CEO's and executives
G.W. Bush and Obama
Apple
Microsoft
Sony
Call of Duty

Every item listed was successful, either personally or as an organization. You know what, I'm guilty of "hating" a few of the items I listed, but it's because my team/person/company didn't measure up some how.

With Nintendo, the "hatred" seems to be amplified by the fact that Wii is generally viewed as inferior technology. The graphics suck. The online sucks. Motion controls suck. Third party support sucks. But, despite all of these things, Wii was still be best selling console last gen and Nintendo is still dominating the handheld market. This infuriates immature people who are die hard Sony or Xbox fans. For some reason, they choose to take it out in online message boards, YouTube, and to Nintendo fans they see in person.

One of my marketing teachers told me something that I will never forget. When a company makes fun of or mentions a competitor in an ad or an interview, they are the inferior company. Coca-Cola never takes a jab at Pepsi, Ford doesn't take jabs at Chevrolet, and Nintendo doesn't take jabs at Sony or Microsoft. Just something to ponder...

In short, if someone makes fun of you for being a Nintendo fan, take it as a compliment to your taste in gaming companies. You're rooting for the top dog in gaming.

#2 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

YOU FORGOT ANGRY BIRDS!! I find it as an awesomely outstanding video game. It is very fun to play. No reason to hate it!
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#3 AegisReflector

AegisReflector

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Uh, what are you talking about? All major corporations take a jab at each other. Ford bashes Chevy, Honda, and Chrysler all the time with their new commercials. Coke Zero always compares itself highly in place of Pepsi Lite. Both McDonald's and Wendy's pit their Big Macs and "The W"s together to see which is the ultimate burger. That's the unfortunate nature of American Capitalism. If you are not willing to convince people that your company is superior to all the rest, then you're obviously not going to make it in the business world. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And part of the reason why Nintendo is regarded as a crappy company is because, well, it's standards in terms of quality and production measures have greatly decreased from the N64 days, if you think about it. Not many games that are released from Nintendo (except the obviouslly generic Mario game that everybody likes because it's just Mario) gets any recognition or press it deserves, gaming mechanics and gameplay have become too generic, and Nintendo's target audience is growing older and it's new members just aren't seeing what the hype was when Nintendo was at it's 80's-late 90's days.

It's a vicious cycle, yes. They need to readjust or appeal to their ever-changing audience if they are willing to survive, which is something they are very, VERY stubborn to do.

#4 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Uh, what are you talking about? All major corporations take a jab at each other. Ford bashes Chevy, Honda, and Chrysler all the time with their new commercials. Coke Zero always compares itself highly in place of Pepsi Lite. Both McDonald's and Wendy's pit their Big Macs and "The W"s together to see which is the ultimate burger. That's the unfortunate nature of American Capitalism. If you are not willing to convince people that your company is superior to all the rest, then you're obviously not going to make it in the business world. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And part of the reason why Nintendo is regarded as a crappy company is because, well, it's standards in terms of quality and production measures have greatly decreased from the N64 days, if you think about it. Not many games that are released from Nintendo (except the obviouslly generic Mario game that everybody likes because it's just Mario) gets any recognition or press it deserves, gaming mechanics and gameplay have become too generic, and Nintendo's target audience is growing older and it's new members just aren't seeing what the hype was when Nintendo was at it's 80's-late 90's days.

Yes, you must have a distinctive quality in order to move your product. But the 800 pound gorilla in the market doesn't have to mention their competitors product in their ads ie wendys references the Big Mac Mcdonalds does not mention the W. Pepsi mentions Coke, but Coke doesn't mention Pepsi. I could be wrong about the Zero brand, but I'm right about their coke classic brand.

Edited by Fig, 28 March 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#5 PipoPito

PipoPito

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, Metroid, Pokemon, Ape Escape

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Oh and also, everyone in my class is a PS3 or Xbox 360 Fans(some fanboys) but they wouldn't care if i am a nintendo fan. I have turned 4 people into nintendo fans. So i don't get picked on for being a nintendo fan.
Old Usernames: Pipopito, Great Mighty Poo , Pit.

#6 Jakester897

Jakester897

Spiny

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, puzzle games, Pikmin

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Ah, Call of Duty. I'll admit it's fun, but it's overrated as hell. A few weeks ago I got busted on for playing Pokémon and Zelda while everyone else was playing that-who-shall-not-be-gamed. They even taunted me for playing Minecraft, which I don't play... I guess my love of Nintendo had them seeing me as a general nerd.

This exchange took place:
"You probably spend all night playing Minecraft and Mario! HAR HAR HAR!"
"I've only played Minecraft once!"
"Guys, stop picking on him. Minecraft is cool. I'm a level 4 farmer."
"LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"
So now levels = nerdy? I thought CoD had levels...
Posted Image
What we do is, if we ever need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
We put the volume up to eleven. One louder.

#7 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

YOU FORGOT ANGRY BIRDS!! I find it as an awesomely outstanding video game. It is very fun to play. No reason to hate it!

angry birds deserves the hate it gets and it should actually receive more for being such a blatanly rip-off cash in

#8 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

i agree with most of those successful companys and teams. but the patriots.... no , also i live in new england.
but yah people hate success. because they can't get on that level.

Signature_Fox.png

#9 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, I blame the Wii and "hardcore games"

#10 Lord Pickleton

Lord Pickleton

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Criterion, Codemasters

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ah, Call of Duty. I'll admit it's fun, but it's overrated as hell. A few weeks ago I got busted on for playing Pokémon and Zelda while everyone else was playing that-who-shall-not-be-gamed. They even taunted me for playing Minecraft, which I don't play... I guess my love of Nintendo had them seeing me as a general nerd.

This exchange took place:
"You probably spend all night playing Minecraft and Mario! HAR HAR HAR!"
"I've only played Minecraft once!"
"Guys, stop picking on him. Minecraft is cool. I'm a level 4 farmer."
"LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"
So now levels = nerdy? I thought CoD had levels...

Anyone who plays games and talks about games are nerds so those idiots that called you a nerd are nerds themselves doesn't matter which game.

LordPickleton.png

#11 Agent000

Agent000

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

If properly applied, motion controls don't suck.
Agent000 on Youtube:
BreakfastBAGELL
Porcellusstudios

"E3, Y U NO COME NOW?"

#12 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

H.A.T.E.R.S

"Having Anger Toward Everyone Reaching Success"

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#13 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Nintendo, Angry Birds and Minecraft are sucessful.

And musicians. Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Britney Spears etc.

Funny Cause I hate all of these teams.

New York Yankee Baseball (Most World Series Championships) (Rivals)
Notre Dame and Alabama college football (Most National Championships) (Rivals Notre Dame)
LA Lakers and Boston Celtics (#2-#1 in NBA titles) (Kobe is not humble, Rivals)
New England Patriots Football (most successful franchise past decade) (Don't hate but I don't like them)
Dallas Cowboys Football ("America's Team") QB hate him

Edited by Sportsgamer, 28 March 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#14 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

In my school you don't get made picked on for things like that (although some find it hilarious that I prefer the Wii to the 360). A quick question though, how is being a nerd related to video games?
Posted Image

#15 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Many people in my school don't care about the console, they just like hackingand playing Call Of Duty on any system. They don't know I'm a Nintendo fan though.

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, we as humans like to support the underdog.
That's probably the main reason so many people don't like call of duty since modern warfare, because it's doing so well we don't need to praise it.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

yea this would explain about call of duty lol

#18 EternalDeadman

EternalDeadman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo,and Sony

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

I also greatly dislike some of what you mentioned (call of duty) and yeah I've seen alot of irrational hate toward nintendo gamers especially around where I live and the internet.
3DS Friendcode:0688-5291-6191
3DS Username:Knightwing
PSN: EternalDeadman

#19 Terrabyte20xx

Terrabyte20xx

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario,and Star Fox.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I don't hate Angry Birds... I just hate the idiots who make it. They are so cocky just because the made a milion seller game, eventhough it was only 99 Cents!
Posted Image

YES! YES!YES!YES!YES!
YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!

#20 neverwinteru

neverwinteru

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

I also greatly dislike some of what you mentioned (call of duty) and yeah I've seen alot of irrational hate toward nintendo gamers especially around where I live and the internet.

why do you hate call of duty.

i havent found one person who hates cod for a good reason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!