Photo

Is the "hardcore" label being used wrong?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I think most non-gamers assume hardcore games involve anything with guns or heavy subject matter. Gamers (true gamers, that is) should understand that hardcore gamer means a passionate player of any genre of game.

Eggplante!com
video games, music, movies, concerts, photography
…and more!

#22 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

My personal opinion on "hardcore" gamers are those who put significant amounts of time playing various kinds of videos games in a serious manner.
As for "casuals" they are those who play video games as a time waster activity, or just to play with friends when the time arises.
It has nothing to do with the game's popularity, difficultly, rating, genre etc.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#23 CUD

CUD

Super Saiyan Dingus

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • NNID:CUDesu
  • Fandom:
    Gaben

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Mario hardcore and Far Cry casual? What in the heck? I don't think Mario is casual, well not entirely, but that statement is just plain wrong.

In terms of the gamers themselves the terms hardcore and casual refer to how much a person plays games, what types of games they play (genre), their attitude towards gaming, skill level, open mindedness towards new games and interested in the latest gaming news. So considering that, a hardcore game would be one that is well designed, has depth, tends to require skill/tactical thinking and may be competitive whereas a casual game tends to be more simply designed, linear, designed for accessibility for younger audiences or non-gamers.

That being said, it's not all so black and white so in some cases you'll have what could be categorised as a hardcore game featuring some casual elements and vice versa.

This statement is false. The previous statement is true.

RIP in peace Nintendo.

cCIImXL.png

#24 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

I always thought of hard core gamers as not the ones who like to play the bloody violent games, but who enjoy playing games with a high difficulty, kind of like the difficulty of the older games. What separates casual and hardcore I think is game difficulty, not the amount of violence.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#25 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Everyone's definition of hardcore gamer is different. Lining up every midnight launch for the new CoD or Madden? I consider that to be hardcore. Just playing those games? That's more casual than playing Angry Birds. The definition of hardcore is everywhere. I don't believe you can get a solid answer.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#26 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

I believe the term 'hardcore' is a label defined entirely by the user.

In terms of gaming, hardcore describes any game that you, the player, finds not only fun and entertaining, but gives out a constant competitive challenge against the AI and the mechanics of the game. People can label FPS types such as Call of Duty and Battlefield as hardcore, and have all the right to do so, because they are pitted against the minds of other players within the limitations of whatever game type and general game mechanics they've let themselves tango with.

Likewise, people can find fighting type games as hardcore, because it's a test of one's reaction speed, character knowledge and persistence payoff. Seriously, you can watch a season of EVO matches and really come to grips of just how advanced a person can get from simple button mashing.

In a more single player aspect, there really are some brutal platformer games out there. And let's not forget the carnage that comes with bullet hell types.

Essentially, hardcore games are those that represent themselves a challenge, engaging you as a player into an active state from rather sluggish, cruise like gameplay. Take FIFA for example. I really don't play that franchise beyond getting the ball and kicking it into the other goal. I have friends though, who play the game with a much more advance capacity than I. They'd consider it hardcore, I wouldn't.

There are also those who wouldn't consider Final Fantasy XIII a hardcore game.... **** BARTHANDELUS!

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 19 November 2012 - 06:18 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#27 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hardcore gaming before was defined by the amount of free time used for gaming. Nothing more, nothing less. And I would still agree with this definition. If someone is playing Angry Birds for 60 hours a week... they are a hardcore gamer. As someone who doesn't like popular genres (as I'm sure applies to most of you as well), it makes no sense to me that the term "hardcore gamer" wouldn't be applied to me, seeing as I dedicate a lot of my free time to gaming.

In the end, it's a term with no set definition, just definitions that were generally used, so it really has become a term with personal meaning.

iiwii.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!