• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I personally think Skyward sword was a subpar version of Windwaker. It was more restricting, not as open, and had horrible motion controls.
The major difference would be that ss is in the air, not as big as the ocean, and a different art style.

In my opinion, it was better than twilight princess, which I don't like. (I never finished TP and I only played about half an hour of SS at a gamestop.)

#22 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I personally think Skyward sword was a subpar version of Windwaker. It was more restricting, not as open, and had horrible motion controls.
The major difference would be that ss is in the air, not as big as the ocean, and a different art style.

In my opinion, it was better than twilight princess, which I don't like. (I never finished TP and I only played about half an hour of SS at a gamestop.)

This is why.

#23 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

This is why.

Not really, I heard that everyone else had bad experiences with the motion controls. My friend said that the sword would never stay still if his hand was still. A lot of people seemed to have problems with the skyward strike as well.
It took Nintendo until the WiiU and Nintendoland to actually make working sword motion control. I tried it out, and the motion controls are amazing, much better than skyward sword.

#24 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

It has some of the best moments in the series. Does that make you happy?
No sig.

#25 Buoysel

Buoysel

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo in General

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

"Bad motion controls?"

How many of you were just waggling the Wii Remote, instead of actually swinging the Wii Remote like you're supposed to? I've played this game with the golden remote and 3 regular (and relatively old) remotes with the Motion+ extension, and I can honestly say that there's nothing wrong with the motion controls. There is the occasional hiccup, but that's usually caused by my sitting position.

It was a little annoying having to recenter the pointer a lot, but I've had to do that in Nintendo Land, too.

Edited by Buoysel, 16 December 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#26 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

its a good game it keeps you playing, but the controls for me pissed me off at times but for the most part it works. The next one should be awesome for the wii u, now that i can not wait for

#27 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

How would you compare it to Twilight Princess?

better controls, the graphics are both equally good, different approaches, but good, and the gameplay in SS beats TP as does the world, it's just nonstop puzzle solving and I love it. And who said the world wasn't as big, cuz that is total BS; the ground world is split into three distinct parts, each very sizable with numerous hidden secrets, then add that to the ginormous sky overworld with a size able amount to do, although I admit the sky was kind of dissapointing. SS overworld is easily the size of TP. I say TP- 80/100 and SS- 95/100

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#28 m3gaman81

m3gaman81

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I know It's not a WiiU game, but I've been a Zelda fan my whole life. I did not care for Twilight Princess, its actually my least favorite Zelda game. So since it's been out for quite a while, I figured I'll get some honest opinions.

You don't like TP? I thought it was great! But each to our own I guess :)

YES! Skyward Sword is a great game and a must play for a zelda fan, infact it's a must play for all, even the die hard Skyrim players, if they just chill out a bit and play a beautifully crafted game. SS has a very surreal feel to it, it's colourful and the motion controlls work very well with it, it's a shame it came at the death of the wii to get it right!

Anyhoo....Lanayru desert had me enchanted, and was in awe when playing that part of the game at first. Sure SS has room for improvement, as I prefer an open world like OOT, but still this game is great to play and am sure will quickly become one of your favourites. But I do hope the next Zelda looks like that tech demo from 2011! and is more like OOT/TP design :P

Get SS you won't be disappointed....infact I'm going to play it again, since you brought it up...cheers!

Edited by m3gaman81, 16 December 2012 - 01:42 PM.

Posted Image

#29 DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Halo

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well thanks guys, I will be looking for a good deal for SS. If I didn't have ZombiU and Black Ops 2 already headed my way for Christmas, I'd make it a priority. I think the art style looks fantastic, personally.

#30 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

They definitely mix up the formula, and the resulting opinions are mixed. I thought it was brilliant gameplay, the defining gameplay experience on Wii. It has a great story, though linear, it manages to remain very engaging IMO. The different approach to telling the story feels new and fresh while still feeling like a "Zelda" game. OoT is my favorite zelda game, and SS made me strongly consider making it my favorite Zelda game.

#31 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

I absolutely loved it, just about everything is great about it, the level design, the music, the characters, the story, even the controls are a joy (most of the time).
The only problems i had a was that the over world was too small, there really was only two main islands (Skyloft and that pumpkin soup place), also you do need to face one of the least imaginative boss (The imprisioned) in Zelda history about 5 times. But aside from that it is a true master piece of game design and will keep you entertained with over 30+ hours worth of content in the single player alone. I had my doubts on the art style ever since they released the first trailer back in E3 but as you begin to dive deeper into the story the art style grows on you and you can't help yourself just looking at deem water-colours ok sometimes the textures are a little muddy and those trees look awful but trust me, it's a beautiful game

Anyone who has been having controller issues either have a poorly calibrate wiimote or a dodgy sensor bar, THE CONTROLS ARE NOT BROKEN, just because some people didn't like them doesn't mean they are broken.

Anyway have fun :)

Edited by AndyG, 16 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#32 Legend_Killa7

Legend_Killa7

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

You don't like TP? I thought it was great! But each to our own I guess :)

YES! Skyward Sword is a great game and a must play for a zelda fan, infact it's a must play for all, even the die hard Skyrim players, if they just chill out a bit and play a beautifully crafted game. SS has a very surreal feel to it, it's colourful and the motion controlls work very well with it, it's a shame it came at the death of the wii to get it right!

Anyhoo....Lanayru desert had me enchanted, and was in awe when playing that part of the game at first. Sure SS has room for improvement, as I prefer an open world like OOT, but still this game is great to play and am sure will quickly become one of your favourites. But I do hope the next Zelda looks like that tech demo from 2011! and is more like OOT/TP design :P

Get SS you won't be disappointed....infact I'm going to play it again, since you brought it up...cheers!

I was just about to say the same thing! since apparently, we won't be getting a Zelda U for the foreseeable future, I think I may go back and play it again on the U. I won it last year; went nuts trying to get the hero shield (or whatever it is called) and got it to use when replaying, then never replayed.

I thought the controls were awesome! I know, I know, it's not what we as Zelda fans are used to. Sometimes,w e don't like change, and I was not happy about the controls at first either, but you know what? It's a Zelda game, so it was worth the try for me. and once you get used to the controls, they are amazing. VERY responsive. These people that say the controls are no - I have no idea what they are talking about. Not being mean, but I just don't. I am by no means a "great gamer" - I just play to have fun, and the controls came naturally to me. the ONLY time I had an issue was on the final boss. I won't give away much because OP obviously has not played the game yet, but there is somethign you have to do MANY times (and quickly) that was a little difficult. Mosti times, I was able to sit on my couch, left arm on the arm of the couch, right arm on a pillow to my right. little wag of the wiimote here, little swing there, everythign worked great. But for that final battle? I needed to sit up (sometimes stand) to make sure I did it "right". Yeah, if I had to do that the whole game I would not have been happy, but it was 5-10 minutes or so, and the ending was worth it.

listen: bottom line is it's a ZELDA game! Zelda music, zelda rewards, Zelda gameplay, Zelda quests, Zelda dungeons, etc. If you like Zelda, you'll love this game. Hope this helps!

Now I can't wait for my kids to open THEIR Wii U on Christmas, so I can play this again!! haha

#33 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

I got bored with Skyward Sword after a couple hours. Luckily I got it for $10 at Best Buy after a coupon a few months ago. The controls were all right, the story was all right, the graphics were horrible (sorry all Wii graphics are horrible these days). It felt too much like a kids game for me. I felt there were other games that would make better use of my gaming time.

#34 DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Halo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I just wanted to update this, I finally grabbed this discounted to $20 at my local Target! The deal was only valid through today, and I'm unsure if it's just my Target. Firing it up now!

#35 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

best zelda since links awakening.

Motion controls were flawless.... If you understood one simple fact about how they worked.... They recalibrate to whatever direction you are currently holding the remote when you select an item. Which is a great idea for the large majority of people, who naturallt respond to the method (which is why it was chosen.

I can pretty much GARUNTEE everyone who had problems with them were unintentionally recalibrating the controls into the ground or ceiling.

See, they would select the item, like say the bug, or bow, or a save point, and THEN attempt to put the remote into motion position.

The problem with this was, the second they selected the item, it recalibrated to the rwmotes position. Wherever it was facing, typically towards the ground or cieling, then they attempt to use it, rotating the remote around 60-80 degrees, completely screwing everything up.

How do you fix this horrible conundrum if you make this easy mistake? Press down on the remotes d-pad.

Yeah, thats it. You never need to go into options and recalibrate.

Edited by 3Dude, 26 January 2013 - 01:11 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#36 DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Halo

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I just got through all the long intro and am now in the first temple. Plan on playing a lot tomorrow

#37 BananaCheese

BananaCheese

Darknut Dominator

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • NNID:Awesomesocks
  • Fandom:
    Zelda and Animal Crossing

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

The game was great for me and I never had a problem with it.

Nintendo_Logo-600x200.png 

Nintendo Network ID: Awesomesocks | Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032-1712-2862

PM me if you add me on any of the above.

#38 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Game was excellent. Sure, it had some flaws here and there, but the overall experience was quite satisfying. I never had any issues with the controls either. Steady and controlled movements is the key.

Lanayru Desert and Koloktos(Ancient Cistern Boss)= AMAZING
Posted Image

#39 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Going through you're first playthrough, you'll love it, just like I did. Play it a second or third just like I did, and you'll notice the flaws fairly soon.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#40 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Just picked this up at gamestop two weeks ago with TP. Just finished TP last night so I'm going to start playing this today. I've been looking forward to this for a while, since I sold my Wii shortly after launch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!