Photo

Welcoming Committee - Now taking applications for new Guides!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

After some discussion in this thread, we came to the conclusion that Wii U Forums needs a team of people to greet new members and act as mentors around the forums. If you want to be a Guide, just reply to this thread and say why you want to be one.

A brief description of the Guide position.

"Guide" is the formal title for members of the welcoming committee. A Guide's key responsibility is to greet every new member with an individual post written just for them. All Guides will be expected to greet every single new member that starts a thread in Introduction Central from the time of their promotion.

The idea behind this is to make a new member's first impression of the forum a great one. Too many forums settle for just having whoever feels like it posting a quick "welcome" on an intro topic and then leaving it again. Well, that's not gonna happen here.

Guides will be expected to introduce themselves to new members, remind them to read the rules, and make it clear to them who's in charge (at this time, myself and AMAC). If the new member has provided any personal background on themselves, it is also grounds for writing a longer and strongly personalized introduction. Returning to the thread later to see if the new member has replied and to follow up if they have is also strongly encouraged.

Guides should also serve as shining examples of the ideal forum citizen: active, friendly, responsible, and respectful of the rules. In addition to their role in welcoming new members, they will also be seen as mentors whom other members (both new and old alike) can freely come to for non-technical help that does not require any administrative or moderative privileges. Guides are not moderators in any way, shape, or form.

Because the work you do for the community is incredibly valuable, Guides get a few perks over regular members. These include double the standard amount of space for private messages (that's 500 messages!), the removal of AdSense ads, and the ability to change their user title (the little caption that appears over avatars). Pretty sweet, I know.

That's about it. Only apply if you're legitimately willing to commit to this. Guides who do not fulfill their responsibility can and will have their rank taken away, along with all the Guide perks.

And P.S.: If you didn't have the patience to read this post through, you're probably not ready for guidesmanship. :)

#2 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

First :)
Anyways, I would enjoy being a guide because I realize that with new members brings new people to openly discuss the WiiU with. This would allow for much deeper discussions and in order for this to happen, the new members must feel welcome in the community, something that I would try my best to do. I can't gurantee that I could welcome each member to the forums, but I would always welcome the ones I did with happyness in my attitude.

Edited by Wiiwouldlike2playwithU, 13 July 2011 - 05:01 PM.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#3 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Ha! Read all of it :)

Anyway, I'd like to apply, it would be great to introduce newcomers to these awesome forums you have made.
Also because I'm sure not many people read the rules when they sing up, so introducing them to the forums and explaining a little explanation of every section of the forums and all. Also, I think I have enough time to welcome most newcomers, so no trouble, so if you are looking for someone that can do the job, I might someone who you would be looking for, Feld0
Posted Image

#4 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

I would like to be a guide.
Do I HAVE to have a lengthy paragraph telling why? I just want to do something to help the community. However, I don't know if I can do this every day.
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#5 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

I apologize for the late post, I had to do some other things. Posted Image

I would be more than glad to introduce our new members, as a guide. New members want to feel normal and not copied and pasted. If you don't get what I mean, I'll tell you anyway. Every new member wants a good, original, and a 'help me with this site' introduction.
I can assure you that new members will be disappointed and not to mention, saddened if they find out if someone, copied then pasted the same post such as: "Hey, welcome to the forums you'll have a great time here." If they saw that same exact post in there own introduction, by the same person, you would feel unimportant also.
I for one remember joining 3dsbuzz, which was my first forum, not to mention. To be honest, I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be doing on there, and I had to figure it all out by myself.
Ya, I probably made some mistakes there, being it was my first forum. But that's not what were talking about now.
But with this new Guide idea, there's no need to freak out if this is your first forum. Why? Because every Guide elected will have to fulfill their duty to their very best to introduce the new members.
Anyways, new members need a good thorough introduction about how to get around, who to contact if you need help and tell them who's boss (as of right now it's Feld0, AMAC, and David.), tell us a little about yourself. Such as me being a huge fan of Yoshi and Luigi. :)

Also I don't think just anyone should be able to post in the Introduction Central. Could it be possible if just Guides, Moderators, Administrators and new members can post in the Introduction Central? I mean really, we don't want any bad introductions to our new members. They need a positive good response from a good role model such as the Guides, Administrators and Moderators.

Well, that's what I think about being a Guide. I will strive to the very best to greet each and every new member if I can become one. ;)

#6 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

I read every word of it, Feld0 :)

I'd like to become a guide because of two seperate experiences I've had when joining forums:
1: When joining the 3DS forums I decided to make an introduction post. I only got one, extremely brief post. This made me feel slightly unwelcome as it was obvious that user had only responded to increase his/her post count.
2: When joining these forums a few days ago I made another introduction thread, the results surprised me. I had quite a few members welcome me, introduce themselves then politely remind me to read the rules. This had quite a big impact on my first-impression of the forums, I felt welcomed and like I was already a part of the community. I would have continued to post here even if I didn't get those responces but I can see how someone new to forums in general might feel discouraged if that happened to them.

I'd like to have the opportunity to become a bigger part of this community and give new members great first impressions like I was given just a few days ago.

I think I'm capable of having this role because a have experience helping people online almost every day since I'm an administrator on a fairly busy MineCraft server (DuffCraft.net).

Thanks for reading, that's my application.

#7 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

I also wish to apply for the position.

Even if I wasn't accepted...

I'd probably still do it anyway. :)

EDIT: Ninja just lived up to his name.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 14 July 2011 - 12:27 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#8 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

I've promoted everyone who's applied so far to the Guide position. Thank you for all the applications, and please keep them coming! :)

First ;)
Anyways, I would enjoy being a guide because I realize that with new members brings new people to openly discuss the WiiU with. This would allow for much deeper discussions and in order for this to happen, the new members must feel welcome in the community, something that I would try my best to do. I can't gurantee that I could welcome each member to the forums, but I would always welcome the ones I did with happyness in my attitude.

Do your best to welcome as many new members as you can, Wii. I hope you can get around to all of them, but if you find yourself really pressed for time, prioritize the topics with fewer replies.

Ha! Read all of it :P

Anyway, I'd like to apply, it would be great to introduce newcomers to these awesome forums you have made.
Also because I'm sure not many people read the rules when they sing up, so introducing them to the forums and explaining a little explanation of every section of the forums and all. Also, I think I have enough time to welcome most newcomers, so no trouble, so if you are looking for someone that can do the job, I might someone who you would be looking for, Feld0

Great to have your support, Blade. It sounds like you can really make new members feel right at home. I'm sure you'll be great.

I would like to be a guide.
Do I HAVE to have a lengthy paragraph telling why? I just want to do something to help the community. However, I don't know if I can do this every day.

No, you don't need to write an essay for this. :P I was just looking for your sincere word that you want to be a Guide. And now you are.

I apologize for the late post, I had to do some other things. Posted Image

I would be more than glad to introduce our new members, as a guide. New members want to feel normal and not copied and pasted. If you don't get what I mean, I'll tell you anyway. Every new member wants a good, original, and a 'help me with this site' introduction.
I can assure you that new members will be disappointed and not to mention, saddened if they find out if someone, copied then pasted the same post such as: "Hey, welcome to the forums you'll have a great time here." If they saw that same exact post in there own introduction, by the same person, you would feel unimportant also.
I for one remember joining 3dsbuzz, which was my first forum, not to mention. To be honest, I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to be doing on there, and I had to figure it all out by myself.
Ya, I probably made some mistakes there, being it was my first forum. But that's not what were talking about now.
But with this new Guide idea, there's no need to freak out if this is your first forum. Why? Because every Guide elected will have to fulfill their duty to their very best to introduce the new members.
Anyways, new members need a good thorough introduction about how to get around, who to contact if you need help and tell them who's boss (as of right now it's Feld0, AMAC, and David.), tell us a little about yourself. Such as me being a huge fan of Yoshi and Luigi. ;)

Also I don't think just anyone should be able to post in the Introduction Central. Could it be possible if just Guides, Moderators, Administrators and new members can post in the Introduction Central? I mean really, we don't want any bad introductions to our new members. They need a positive good response from a good role model such as the Guides, Administrators and Moderators.

Well, that's what I think about being a Guide. I will strive to the very best to greet each and every new member if I can become one. :D

Wow, what a long post! Thank you, nintendo3DS.

It sounds like you already know exactly what I'll expect of you as a Guide, so not much more needs to be said. ;)

It is possible to make it so only certain people can post in Introduction Central, but we don't want to keep out non-Guides who still want to say hi. Post count is disabled there, anyway. There's also the issue of how IP.Board would define a member as "new". By posts, perhaps (after X posts, they're not new anymore)? What if they wanted to reply to their own topic after that point? So no, that won't be happening.

I read every word of it, Feld0 ;)

I'd like to become a guide because of two seperate experiences I've had when joining forums:
1: When joining the 3DS forums I decided to make an introduction post. I only got one, extremely brief post. This made me feel slightly unwelcome as it was obvious that user had only responded to increase his/her post count.
2: When joining these forums a few days ago I made another introduction thread, the results surprised me. I had quite a few members welcome me, introduce themselves then politely remind me to read the rules. This had quite a big impact on my first-impression of the forums, I felt welcomed and like I was already a part of the community. I would have continued to post here even if I didn't get those responces but I can see how someone new to forums in general might feel discouraged if that happened to them.

I'd like to have the opportunity to become a bigger part of this community and give new members great first impressions like I was given just a few days ago.

I think I'm capable of having this role because a have experience helping people online almost every day since I'm an administrator on a fairly busy MineCraft server (DuffCraft.net).

Thanks for reading, that's my application.

It's nice to have someone who has felt that "unlovingness" want to step up and fight back against it. Introduction threads on this forum used to be even better than they currently are, and the Guides initiative is our way of bringing that friendly, tight-knit community feel back even though the site is due for some absolutely massive growth in the future.

I also wish to apply for the position.

Even if I wasn't accepted...

I'd probably still do it anyway. :P

EDIT: Ninja just lived up to his name.

Thank you for applying, Auzzie Wingman. Good to hear that you don't need to have your name in orange to be willing to give new members a great first impression.

#9 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

Oh, I will apply!

So, I would like to be a guide because I like introducing myself, and like seeing new members on this forum. I believe if you made me a guide I could make people have the feeling of fitting in with the forum, instead of 6 people saying "welcome" they will get a nice reply to their introduction, asking questions about what they are interested in, and also introducing myself and all I am. I have had the same thing happen to me at some other forums, only one or two people actually gave me a warm welcome asking questions and giving details about themselves. The others just said "welcome". I would be glad to take a position as a guide and hope you consider me giving a guide position to me.

Edited by superdarkyoshi, 14 July 2011 - 09:12 AM.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#10 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

After some discussion in this thread, we came to the conclusion that Wii U Forums needs a team of people to greet new members and act as mentors around the forums. If you want to be a Guide, just reply to this thread and say why you want to be one.

A brief description of the Guide position.

"Guide" is the formal title for members of the welcoming committee. A Guide's key responsibility is to greet every new member with an individual post written just for them. All guides will be expected to greet every single new member that starts a thread in Introduction Central from the time of their promotion.

The idea behind this is to make a new member's first impression of the forum a great one. Too many forums settle for just having whoever feels like it posting a quick "welcome" on an intro topic and then leaving it again. Well, that's not gonna happen here.

Guides will be expected to introduce themselves to new members, remind them to read the rules, and make it clear to them who's in charge (at this time, myself and AMAC). If the new member has provided any personal background on themselves, it is also grounds for writing a longer and strongly personalized introduction. Returning to the thread later to see if the new member has replied and to follow up if they have is also strongly encouraged.

Guides should also serve as shining examples of the ideal forum citizen: active, friendly, responsible, and respectful of the rules. In addition to their role in welcoming new members, they will also be seen as mentors whom other members (both new and old alike) can freely come to for non-technical help that does not require any administrative or moderative privileges. Guides are not moderators in any way, shape, or form.

That's about it. Only apply if you're legitimately willing to commit to this. Guides who do not fulfill their responsibility can and will have their rank taken away.

And P.S.: If you didn't have the patience to read this post through, you're probably not ready for guidesmanship. ;)

I'm here to formally apply to be a guide. I vow to post in each and every introduction thread, and have a special post for them. I like imagining their faces full of happiness after seeing their posts in their introduction threads. :D

I vow to introduce myself as a person and tell them to follow the rules and ask us guides or you guys if they have any questions.

I'll talk about their interest if they posted them. (Like I did in some other thread about a guy who introduced himself and likes PC gaming.)

I'll make sure to take my time for each and every post and make the new members feel "right at home."

Any minimum length for posts?
Any thing special I should include in my post besides introducing myself, responding to what they wrote, offering help if they need, and telling them to read over the rules?

Edit: Even if I don't get to be a guide, I'll still post in the introduction central threads, as you don't need to be a guide to post :)

Edited by brian6330, 14 July 2011 - 09:43 AM.

#11 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

I'm here to formally apply to be a guide. I vow to post in each and every introduction thread, and have a special post for them. I like imagining their faces full of happiness after seeing their posts in their introduction threads. :D

I vow to introduce myself as a person and tell them to follow the rules and ask us guides or you guys if they have any questions.

I'll talk about their interest if they posted them. (Like I did in some other thread about a guy who introduced himself and likes PC gaming.)

I'll make sure to take my time for each and every post and make the new members feel "right at home."

Any minimum length for posts?
Any thing special I should include in my post besides introducing myself, responding to what they wrote, offering help if they need, and telling them to read over the rules?

Edit: Even if I don't get to be a guide, I'll still post in the introduction central threads, as you don't need to be a guide to post :)

All I have to say is to be careful what you vow for. ;)

Imagining their faces full of happiness - well, if you think you can make new members smile with a well-written intro post, you'll probably make for a fine guide. Promoted.

#12 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fandom:
    NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hey, I'd like to apply :).

Well, I think it's epicly epic when new members arrive, & I like welcoming them :D
I was on David's 3DSForums, but got bored of going to the Introduction lounge as there were many trolls there, though it seems different here :D.
I think it's great to meet new members, and though I haven't been very active for a few weeks, I'm going to have a more active account from now :D
I think I'd be 'O-K' for guide as I welcome every new member that comes to the forum I'm an admin of, and have started doing it here :D.
I don't expect to become a guide, but that won't stop me from welcoming members. :)

- SomeRandomGuy
No signature here....

#13 MLdragoMaster

MLdragoMaster

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

Got room for another Guide? If so, I'd like to become a Guide.
I think that welcoming people to our Forums make themselves feel more at home. And that they get the best experience on here. We can tell them a bit about ourselves to make it more 'Welcoming' to them.

Posted Image

#14 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:54 PM

Fantastic work, to all you who are already Guides. You've been doing a great job so far. :D

Hey, I'd like to apply :D.

Well, I think it's epicly epic when new members arrive, & I like welcoming them :D
I was on David's 3DSForums, but got bored of going to the Introduction lounge as there were many trolls there, though it seems different here :D.
I think it's great to meet new members, and though I haven't been very active for a few weeks, I'm going to have a more active account from now :D
I think I'd be 'O-K' for guide as I welcome every new member that comes to the forum I'm an admin of, and have started doing it here :D.
I don't expect to become a guide, but that won't stop me from welcoming members. :)

- SomeRandomGuy

I'll make you a Guide and we'll see how you do. If you want to step out of the position again, let me know. :)

Got room for another Guide? If so, I'd like to become a Guide.
I think that welcoming people to our Forums make themselves feel more at home. And that they get the best experience on here. We can tell them a bit about ourselves to make it more 'Welcoming' to them.

There's always room for another Guide! Sounds like you know what to do, so I've promoted you!

#15 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

Yay! Positive feedback from the boss is the best! :D

AuzzieWingman.png

#16 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

Yay! Positive feedback from the boss is the best! :)

Totaly agree with you :) Now I must go and train :D

Edited by NinjaShock, 16 July 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#17 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:21 AM

lol, browser not doing as well as it should, Ninja?

AuzzieWingman.png

#18 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

Fantastic work, to all you who are already Guides. You've been doing a great job so far. :)

I'll make you a Guide and we'll see how you do. If you want to step out of the position again, let me know. :D

There's always room for another Guide! Sounds like you know what to do, so I've promoted you!

Glad to hear good feedback :)

#19 Pro Pizza! >:D

Pro Pizza! >:D

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

Wish you could of had something like this earlier like in April when I was on everyday in study hall at school. Now I cant cuz summer is out and got better things to do(no offence). Also, are more then one guides allowed to greet people cuz the problem I see with this is that some1 who joins will get bombbarted with greetings and will be scared and stuff. lol

What do you mean by active? Im on here once a week lol..
I'm Nub Cakes! :D and I approve this signature... Kinda! :D
R.I.P. Nub Cakes! :D
5/31/11- 12/6/11

#20 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

My application is on the first page

Edited by superdarkyoshi, 18 July 2011 - 06:17 AM.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!