• Please log in to reply
314 replies to this topic

#41 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

But a myth against wii U died, with this picture.. I remember in neogaf forums, everybody assumed, that the wii U ram is so slow and the EDRAM will most probably be 28gflops....overal 40 gflops.
but now proved to be 90 gflops of ram...overall bandwth. much more than 360...

... Higher by my count.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#42 Majarra

Majarra

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

WTF??? wiiu cant even compete with current gen *smh* T_T

#43 SDDMN

SDDMN

Boo

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Golden Sun, Zelda

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hey Franklin! How have you been doing? :)

Edited by SDDMN, 04 February 2013 - 05:58 PM.

SmashBros_zps4a8520f2.png

#44 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

You must be lost, this is reality, where having gigantic amounts of ram actually on die, bandwidth psychotically huge in comparison, and tons upon tons upon tons more logic units means you can process MORE, here let me show you back out to opposite world.

Edited by 3Dude, 04 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#45 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Sounds exciting, I wonder what else will be deciphered from these photos.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#46 PS3WIIIUfan

PS3WIIIUfan

Blooper

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Silent Hill,Socom,Mario,Zelda,GT

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

cant wait to get wii! if ps4 has no pre owned games well going to be a nintendo fan again lol nice chip set they have there

Edited by PS3WIIIUfan, 04 February 2013 - 06:02 PM.

Ps3 Ultra Slim 1tb
Ps Vita
Wii U 32gb/Zombiu/Black Ops 2
Nintendo Network ID:S.K_Kulczycky2k
Posted Image

#47 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

^^^^ They said that same no pre owned games bull crap about the ps3 as well. It never happened.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#48 jalio_the_brave

jalio_the_brave

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

So does Wii U have an awful GPU, or an awesome one? Is it decently comparable to PS4/ 720 specs (moreso than Wii to PS3/360)?

I just see a lot of "This is great!" and "This sucks!"

What's the consensus here?

Edited by jalio_the_brave, 04 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#49 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Sounds exciting, I wonder what else will be deciphered from these photos.

Unfortunately, aside from what we recognize/know must be their, texture units, shader clusters, rops, edram, the stuff spelled out by chipworks (praised be their name) psycho speed interconnects with cpu (yeah, gpgpu is a definate go) the rest of the chip, which is a HUGE amount, is just mystery logic units. There are a lot of them. And they definately do stuff... but...

I cant tell what they are just by looking at them, id have to see how each individual logic unit in the cluster is set up... And then maybe i could get a ballpark idea of what its purpose is.

But you simply just cant zoom in that far with this picture technology. That information is only contained within actual documentation.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#50 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

i have now idea what any of you guys are talking about... its been questioned before but how will this stand up to the ps4 and 720?

#51 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Is this good news or bad news?

#52 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

good f you look at it for what it is... Bad if you are a numbers whore and think lower numbers means lower performance.

basically i expect nintendo 1st and 2nd party games to be stunning and showcase what the system can do. there are gonna be gorgeous games on Wii U after ps4 and 720 are on the market and have games available.

#53 scotty79

scotty79

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Fandom:
    bf3,cod and timesplitters 2!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

The numbers tflops and gflops aren't correct entirely as there are other fixed function parts of it that people don't know what they are.This means measuring it in the same way as a standard no custom gpu is impossible.I mean the die could yet throw up more functions like high bandwidth shaders if this were the case calculations would be impossible to make without knowing the full specs.

Having said that it doesn't look great from what people recognize,it is what people cant see though that must be making the wiiu capable of the "x" game clips.As what we can see should tell us it cant do this.I don't know enough to analyze it but guess that the gpu has some newer features built in even if its based on an older card design
Posted Image

#54 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Is this good news or bad news?

It's good news!

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#55 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

it doesnt look like r700 chip... it must be much mordern... the speculation about spus are 160 (weaker than xbox360) 175gflops, 320 (50% higher than xbox360) 335 gflops, 640 ( 3x than xbox360) alot of gflops.

its because of 8 alus and 20 spus each or much modern architecture 40 or 80 spus per 1 alu... So it goes like, 20x8 or 40x8 or 80x8. Nobody knows yet.

Its more safe to say, that wii U is 50% boost over 360... 320 spus 352 gflops. At least thats what they say.... But take notice that gflops is not everything... I wish it is about 400, 400 is safe for wii U for the next years and it can easily handle next gen ports.

Edited by Orion, 05 February 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#56 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

What about the extra 4mb edram, it's likely for Wii backwards compatibility but when not in Wii mode could Wii U make use of it?

How much bandwidth are we looking at now with the extra info? gaf members are saying the Wii U GPU is barely up to par with 360 .

#57 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

Its not good, but its not bad also:

http://www.eurogamer...nally-revealed

#58 jalio_the_brave

jalio_the_brave

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

That comment section sickens me...

#59 TheDave545

TheDave545

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Was just about to link this but alas, i was beaten to it.

Edited by TheDave545, 05 February 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#60 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

I was about to agree with this until i read the article. Well, I still agree with the poster... but...

Wow... just... wow. Thats bad. I didnt realize the extent of eurogamers cluelessness until they so woefully attempted to extend well beyond their reach.

Um, they try to state the audio digital processor and arm secure processor (nicknamed starbuck by fail overflow) are among the unidentified logic units. The problem with this is that they are both PROCESSORS, and even embedded on a die, are easily identifiable as such. Simply put, they need more than well, logic units, because they are more than logic units. An easy example is the serdeslike interface processor in the lower left of the die, it is easily recognizable as different from logic units, as its an embedded processor, not a logic unit. The arm secure and dsp are likely among the OTHER processors nearby not identified by chipworks. Particularly the one that looks suspiciously the size and composition of an arm secure processor... particularly since its another arm 9. Just sayin.

Please dont look here for anything other than entertainment. This... Rich Ledbetter? Remember his name. He is apparantly Eurogamers self proclaimed 'tech analyst' yet has no certifications whatsoever in his profile beyond 'game journalist', and it is on full display here.

Look to other sites to analyze this information (trust me, they will) and from authors with displayed credentials.... more substantial than 'game journalist since 16 bit days makes me a tech analyst!'

Anyways, back to the op i quoted original sentiment...

Its good if all youve been observing is cackling idiot trolls talking about how crap and bandwidth starved the system is.

Its bad if you have been holding out for the wii u to release its latent superpowers, or suddenly double power consumption and go super sayin or something.

Its pretty much the same ballpark weve been looking at, 2-3x 360.... With some very specific strengths in the form of the == 50mm^2 of unidentified logic units (whats left after identifying shader, texture, rops etc and removing i/o's, embedded processors, controllers and ram etc. They do something, and it pertains to graphics.... I understand more now what shin en meant when they said you cant compare it to standard environments.

Edited by 3Dude, 05 February 2013 - 06:04 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!