Photo

Why people say Wii U is "current gen", and why they're complete dumb_____.

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

ZOMG STAHP DYS ANIMAL CROOLTY SUM ONE CALL PETA PLIZZ.

no storm troopers were hurt during the making of this photograph

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#42 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

no storm troopers were hurt during the making of this photograph

LOL that's great to know!

Posted Image

#43 Stevonidas

Stevonidas

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Wii U IS current-gen. Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 are last-gen.

Edited by Stevonidas, 08 June 2013 - 08:18 PM.

Nintendo_Logo-600x200.png

#44 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Wii U IS current-gen. Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 are last-gen.

then why am i still playing my PS3 currently?

#45 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

then why am i still playing my PS3 currently?

Because you haven't purchased a next-gen console yet.

Of course, it might be better if we specify exactly when a generation becomes current or last gen. Here's my method:

Before Wii u launched: Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii are current gen and Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One are next gen.

After Wii u launched and before PS4 and XBone launches: Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii are last gen and Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One are next gen. there is no current gen

After Wii u l, PS4, and XBone launches: Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii are last gen and Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One are current gen.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#46 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

EA has recently recanted their past statement and now consider Wii U part of their "Gen 4"

http://nintendoenthu...as-competition/

#47 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

After seeing everything at E3 I now feel that we have seen enough and have enough information to make our own conclusive assessments, and for myself I feel that the Wii U is a very modest leap beyond the 360/PS3.  It wouldnt suprise me if the Wii U's actual flop performance on a spec sheet were very similar to that of the 360.  I kind of see the Wii U vs 360 like a DX9 300 Gflop gpu vs a newer DX11 300 Flop gpu.  They both have similar performance, but the newer card has features and effects that were not avaialbe on the older card.  So even with the same performance, you are going to see some better and more advanced effects with the newer hardware.  The Wii U also benefits from the extra edram and main memory.  So in a way, the Wii U is a 360 with some extra ram and very few bottlenecks in comparison.  So while the 360 was never truly able to perform at its theoretical peak performance, the Wii U will be able come very close.  Not trying to convince anyone, this has been my own persornal assessment based on everything I know and have seen. 

#48 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

After seeing everything at E3 I now feel that we have seen enough and have enough information to make our own conclusive assessments, and for myself I feel that the Wii U is a very modest leap beyond the 360/PS3.  It wouldnt suprise me if the Wii U's actual flop performance on a spec sheet were very similar to that of the 360.  I kind of see the Wii U vs 360 like a DX9 300 Gflop gpu vs a newer DX11 300 Flop gpu.  They both have similar performance, but the newer card has features and effects that were not avaialbe on the older card.  So even with the same performance, you are going to see some better and more advanced effects with the newer hardware.  The Wii U also benefits from the extra edram and main memory.  So in a way, the Wii U is a 360 with some extra ram and very few bottlenecks in comparison.  So while the 360 was never truly able to perform at its theoretical peak performance, the Wii U will be able come very close.  Not trying to convince anyone, this has been my own persornal assessment based on everything I know and have seen.

Eh.... Not so much. Its not just lighting, textures and effects, Wii u is crushing ps360 in polycounts, scene complexity, and simultaneous events taking place.

Bayonettas demon summons used to be scripted qte cutscene events to finish bosses on ps360. They are bigger, more complex, and are real time moves on wii u, not scripted cutscene events...

The business of the scenes are really the only things you can see through the horrible compressed streams of e3 and youtube. Even the 'hd' streams are garbage.

You cant even SEE the rendered details of games like x or mario kart in the streams, the lossy compression remives the details.

For example, in X there thousands of rendered pebbles and small rocks across the ground, theres probably more geometry spent on those thousands of tiny rocks and pebbles than on the geometry of buildings in a village in say, red dead redemption. Cant see them on youtube, or the e3 stream.

Then theres the fact the model from x destroys the models of red dead redemption, just looking at the modeled detailings of the characters boots blows away rdr.

Then theres the fact those details are mantained on tge other npc's (online players?) And even greater detail is spent on the monsters, which appear in far greater numbers and with far more complex skeletons than anything in rdr (or choose your open world 360 game)

And of course the fact you can hop into a mech and fly anywhere you want while looking anywhere you want. The overhead of which can not be stressed enough. It would crash any ps360 game as they require massive rearside culling to mantain a functioning overhead.

The difference between x, and rdr, or skyrim, or dragons dogma is pretty huge. Bigger than i expected it to be with the new build.

if you havent seen the high quality video from the eshop trailer, you havent really seen what the games look like.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#49 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

The eshop trailers are by far the best quality, and yes I have seen them.  I guess I would need to see some back to back comparisons with Bayonetta vs Bayonetta 2 to really appreciate the improvements.  Same goes with X, I would need the best looking open world game on 360 vs X to really make  an accurate comparsion.  So far I have been comparing MGS to X, and MGS looks like a pretty sizeable leap above what X is doing. 

#50 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

The eshop trailers are by far the best quality, and yes I have seen them.  I guess I would need to see some back to back comparisons with Bayonetta vs Bayonetta 2 to really appreciate the improvements.  Same goes with X, I would need the best looking open world game on 360 vs X to really make  an accurate comparsion.  So far I have been comparing MGS to X, and MGS looks like a pretty sizeable leap above what X is doing.

I actually did that with bayo 2 in another thread. I used the highway car hopping/ motorcycle scene from bayo 1 as its the only thing that comes close to the kind of overhead of fighting on a
fighter jet weaving through a massive city.

Its staggering in every single category. Brutally.

From character models, to the background (crushing defeat for 360) to image quality (bayo 2 is ridiculously crisp) and.... it all runs at a rock solid 60 fps on wii u.

Its... quite the difference

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#51 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Eh.... Not so much. Its not just lighting, textures and effects, Wii u is crushing ps360 in polycounts, scene complexity, and simultaneous events taking place.

Bayonettas demon summons used to be scripted qte cutscene events to finish bosses on ps360. They are bigger, more complex, and are real time moves on wii u, not scripted cutscene events...

The business of the scenes are really the only things you can see through the horrible compressed streams of e3 and youtube. Even the 'hd' streams are garbage.

You cant even SEE the rendered details of games like x or mario kart in the streams, the lossy compression remives the details.

For example, in X there thousands of rendered pebbles and small rocks across the ground, theres probably more geometry spent on those thousands of tiny rocks and pebbles than on the geometry of buildings in a village in say, red dead redemption. Cant see them on youtube, or the e3 stream.

Then theres the fact the model from x destroys the models of red dead redemption, just looking at the modeled detailings of the characters boots blows away rdr.

Then theres the fact those details are mantained on tge other npc's (online players?) And even greater detail is spent on the monsters, which appear in far greater numbers and with far more complex skeletons than anything in rdr (or choose your open world 360 game)

And of course the fact you can hop into a mech and fly anywhere you want while looking anywhere you want. The overhead of which can not be stressed enough. It would crash any ps360 game as they require massive rearside culling to mantain a functioning overhead.

The difference between x, and rdr, or skyrim, or dragons dogma is pretty huge. Bigger than i expected it to be with the new build.

if you havent seen the high quality video from the eshop trailer, you havent really seen what the games look like.

I noticed you have not compare games like ff15 but only pre-2009 to 2011 games. Why?

Edited by The Green Ranger, 12 June 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#52 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

I just watched some Bayonetta for 360 footage and then the trailer for Bayonetta 2 for Wii U, I will admit that I may have underscored Wii U quite a bit.  Bayo 2 does indeed look like its pushing far more complex scenes.  Red Dead Redemption 2 vs X I would also give the nod to X, but I still feel that its far short of the MGS gameplay I watched.  The jump X makes over Red Dead Redemption doesnt seem as big as the leap MGS makes over X.  Its kind of like if the gap between the 360 and X1 is a 100% jump, then the Wii U maybe makes a 30% jump, if that makes sense.  Hopefully someone like Digital Foundary can make a good comparision video between Bayo 1 and Bayo 2, it would make for a good comparision to see just how much more powerful the Wii U really is. 

#53 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

I noticed you have not compare games like ff15 but only pre-2009 to 2011 games. Why?

I have. Just not in these threads. The reason is context.

1. I am not trying to state the difference between ps4 and wii u (I have in a different thread, but the subject was comparing to ps4) but the difference between wii u and ps360.

2. Game type. I am mostly using x, as its my favourite kind of game. Open world exploration. Comparing an open world game with a controlled world game is fallacious because the difference in power overhead is absolutely massive between gametypes. Thats why you shouldnt compare a game like x or skyrim to games like god of war or mgs. Ff15 looks to have wonderfully large scripted event sequences, but i have seen no indications of an actual open world whatsoever. It very much appears to be a gow/uncharted style game. It would be comparable overhead wise to bayo2. And bayo2 is comparable, it well exceeds its ps360 counterparts, but falls rather short of ps4 games like ff15, from a system 3-4x more powerful than wii u, and backed by a budget platinum could never dream of having. It has the size, it has the scope, but its finer details are rather rough in comparison. Bayonetta has intricate details modeled on her clothing (its only textures/bump maps on ps360) and gear in bayo 2, but up close those fine details are easily identifiable as polygonal looking. This is not the case on ps4 (except killzone and their low poly 40k characters). The details are very smooth on ps4 games, with the camera right there too. Textures too. Thats that extra ram and processing power. More textures more shaders, more vertices created from tesselation.

I am comparing here to the latest open world ps360 games that have been praised for their graphics. That is incredibly generous, because proper context dictates you should compare to games shown in the same time in the consoles life, which would be 2006 upcoming ps360 games, which would be oblivion. Which looks like doo doo. And wii u's x stomps them flat.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#54 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

nintendos e3 outing was CRAP imo,none of the games were close to what i was expecting graphically,ive sold my last gen wii u and am going to buy the real next gen console...ps4 :)

#55 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

nintendos e3 outing was CRAP imo,none of the games were close to what i was expecting graphically,ive sold my last gen wii u and am going to buy the real next gen console...ps4 :)

195 posts to become a troll?

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#56 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

195 posts to become a troll?

not trying to troll just VERY dissapointed gamer and nintendo fan,wii u is in NO way next gen,nintendo showed what they have at e3 and it fell well under par imo :(

#57 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

not trying to troll just VERY dissapointed gamer and nintendo fan,wii u is in NO way next gen,nintendo showed what they have at e3 and it fell well under par imo :(

I can accept your opinion that you didn't like what Nintendo did at e3, but I don't think it's a good idea to throw the Wii U under the bus and call it "last gen". 

Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, X and some of the other titles have things going on in game that simply wasn't possible last gen. Not just on Wii, but on PS360.

#58 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

I can accept your opinion that you didn't like what Nintendo did at e3, but I don't think it's a good idea to throw the Wii U under the bus and call it "last gen". 

Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, X and some of the other titles have things going on in game that simply wasn't possible last gen. Not just on Wii, but on PS360.

i now see the wii u as a last gen console with more ram and slightly sharper graphics,some of the new ps3 games that are coming out blow what i have seen for the wii u out the water :( x was there most impressive game imo but compare that to the ps4/xbox 1 games and it falls way short

#59 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I guess we all have opinions. I didn't see any game that made me feel Wii U is underpowered. I think they played it really safe with mario 3d world. But will the game be "FUN" to "PLAY"? I think it will be. Bayonetta 2 looks "next gen" to me. No slow downs no screen tearing 60FPS. But it all comes down to what you want as a gamer. Sounds like the PS4 will suit you just fine. I'm an artstyle guy over pure polygon pushing guy. From what I saw the visuals on Wii U are gonna be fine compared to ps4 and x1. Different strokes for different folks

#60 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

POPULAR

i now see the wii u as a last gen console with more ram and slightly sharper graphics,some of the new ps3 games that are coming out blow what i have seen for the wii u out the water.

No they dont. They dont even come close.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!