Photo

Why people say Wii U is "current gen", and why they're complete dumb_____.

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

POPULAR

These people claimed that the Wii was weaker than the original Xbox, and still called the Wii next-gen; The Wii U is clearly better than any current consoles and yet they're trying to tell us that it's on the same level (if not lower than) the PS360. The Wii U uses PowerPC architecture (like current machines), but meaty enough to be competitive with x86 machines on the horizon. They take that the PowerPC guts means it's weak, but in reality it produces sufficiently similar results in a different manner (sadly, this'll screw us over with 3rd parties who can't be bothered with actual porting). They say that because the Wii U cannot play Blu-Ray discs, it's last-gen compared to the PS3. The Wii U uses modified Blu-Rays (or at least Blu-Ray capacity discs) that read differently as a form of copy protection (and don't most of already have at least 3 things that can play Blu-Rays, or even have On-Demand?). And using the "it came earlier than the others" argument would mean that the Dreamcast would be with the PSone and N64 (an idea that'll get you laughed out of the room anywhere, any day of the week). I say we let them have their repetitive SBPBF (Shoot brown people because freedom) games (they say Nintendo is repetitive? Super Mario Sunshine has more variety than the entire CoD franchise!) while we enjoy actual innovation!

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

POPULAR

Am I allowed to post this?

mc3o1e.jpg

#3 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

mc3o1e.jpg

The only reason these threads pop up is because they must compete with the gloom threads. If Mourn or GC would do something about the gloom threads this wouldn't be necessary.

Signature_DK.png

#4 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yes

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#5 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

I call the Wii U current gen. How can you call something next gen when it's already released!

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

x86 is wasteful.

It's like the first thing you're thought when you do any assembly coding in school.

It's nice for lazy developers though.

ppc is better.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

POPULAR

I call the Wii U current gen. How can you call something next gen when it's already released!

It is current gen, PS360 are last gen.

#8 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

I don't have a problem calling it current gen, I really don't care face the facts people.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#9 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yep, Wii U started the current gen of next gen. So we are in current gen now. 

:laugh:

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#10 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

Julio93: I don't have a problem calling it current gen, I really don't care face the facts people.

The fact that the 8th gen is now the current gen? The fact that the Wii U is already out, making it current gen?

PS3 & 360 are last gen.

Edited by Dragon, 01 June 2013 - 05:00 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

Completely dumb..

Edited by Mr. Resetti, 01 June 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#12 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Wii U is in the same gen as xbox -359 and playstation 4

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#13 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

It will take some time for devs to fully optimise their games for the system. Just the other day i got AC3, like many have mentioned the frame rate does suffer a little which can take you out of the experience even know im not really getting much enjoyment from the series.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#14 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

pNgecl.gif

#15 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

I'm tired of these threads.

#16 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

mc3o1e.jpg

oohhh, i like you.

also, the Wii U is NIntendos next gen console. It is now current gen. When the PS4 comes out, it will be current gen Sony. Right now it's next gen Xbox One? Next gen right now, won't be for long. It's just a word OP, NEXT GEN!!!!! wooooooo

#17 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

Ouya is the same eighth generation as wii u, ps4 and the xboner and is easily beaten by the dreamcast for many types of games. The generation thing is not signfiicant.

As for performance this should be judged and based on the specification and the performance of games. As specifications can vary on so many levels and developers can vary the amount of effort used to create games people can always find some way of expressing an opinion that x is better than y on some level. When the wii was launched many claimed it had comparable performance to the 360 and PS3 and there are plenty of old arguments on forums predicting the next wii game would be equal to the  360 or PS3 version. I think for about 2 years there were people predicting this until they finally accepted reality and stopped posting such comments. Same will happen with wii u I'm sure.

#18 Kyle1503

Kyle1503

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Kyle1503
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

Wii U is next gen because the console is unique! How many other companies have a screen on there controller. But it doesn't matter wether it's next or current gen, it's about the gaming experience you have on it! Yes its not as powerful as the PS4 or Xbox One but its more powerful than the PS3 or 360 that are current gen so its next gen!

#19 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

It is current gen, PS360 are last gen.

Praise the Lord! Someone has common sense! ;)
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#20 Xerocks

Xerocks

Red Koopa Troopa

• Validating
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Deadly Premonition

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

The HyperScan and the Zeebo were both included in the seventh generation along with Wii, 360 and PS3... Does anyone actually consider them to be on the same level as any of the big three? No. Generation designation doesn't matter.

- Physical media forever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!